Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 TSN Loses NHL

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FutureKesler Posted - 11/25/2013 : 22:44:12
According to Bob McKenzie the NHL has agreed a 12 year broadcasting deal with Rogers and CBC, leaving TSN out of the fold. This is huge news as I have always thought that TSN had the best broadcasts in Canada. It's a real shame. Any thoughts?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4377 Posted - 11/30/2013 : 16:48:02
This deal has a lot of implications to the money side of the game. $5.2 billion over 12 years works out to about $433 million a year to the league, or $14.3 million a year to each team in revenue. Granted, the cap will go up, so 50% of the new revenues could go to player salaries.

And it's also important to note that the NHL already had TV deals with CBC and TSN which would have continued in some form had the Rogers deals not taken place. So the Rogers $5.2 billion deal has a net value somewhat less than this large figure.

Regardless, this is a big deal for the NHL (and the players). And a deal this size did not come together the past few weeks. This deal was in the works for months probably, and most likely picked up after Rogers saw how the fans came back after the lockout.

And for teams who signed long-term contracts for their star players this summer, maybe they had more than intuition (i.e. information) that a huge new TV deal was underway.

So maybe some of these recently signed large player deals, which were criticized as being too rich, were not so bad deals by the teams doing these deals.

Some are saying the cap could go to $80 million or more in the next 2-3 years, so this changes average salaries and top salaries in a significant fashion.

One last point about the huge Rogers deal. For "fans" who said they wouldn't come back to watch hockey after the last lockout (or watch fewer games), it appears that NHL hockey is hotter than ever!

Guest2225 Posted - 11/28/2013 : 08:01:56
I actually prefer sportsnet - maybe because they feel more like a home team broadcast while CBC is just any old game and TSN is the same.

As a canucks fan I'd rather watch a canucks game on sportsnet then anything else. TSN does have the better sports recap though but that won't go anywhere.

I am SO please that sportsnet will now do the playoff games it was always a letdown - the most exciting hockey of the year and we canucks fans get shafted with CBC's tier 3 talent. Jim Houston used to be the full time canucks play by play for sportsnet until the CBC and leafs stole him you'd think when the canucks are in the playoffs we'd get him back but nope he stays east and we got Kevin Weakes and some other smuck who does most of the flames games.

Not to mention we can all celebrate the debarture of Cassie Camble from the post game interviews and locker rooms. You played WOMENS hockey Cassie... WOMENS.
Guest8670 Posted - 11/28/2013 : 07:17:13
Ya, TSN was better overall. Not that Sportsnet was bad, but seems the majority of people think TSN has a better product. Too bad I guess.....Stupid Sportsnet
n/a Posted - 11/28/2013 : 05:46:13
The talent always moves in the direction of the money and opportunity, so I think Leigh that it WILL happen, I agree.

It's gonna take a year until we really see what's the effect of this for the viewer, and perhaps more importantly, the cable buyer.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
leigh Posted - 11/26/2013 : 16:44:31
http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=4210228
leigh Posted - 11/26/2013 : 16:42:47
Brilliant Markliso! haha!

I wonder if we'll see the broadcast talent move over to Sportsnet? TSN, for the most part, has far superior talent.
markliso Posted - 11/26/2013 : 01:34:08
TSN steals CBC's hockey song.

CBC steals TSN's hockey.

haha.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page