Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Goalie help

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest5694 Posted - 11/27/2013 : 05:50:25
Currently in a points only league. 2 for a W and 3 for a SO. Howard is killing my pool right now and I've been thinking about getting someone on the waiver wire to compensate.. Notables are Backstrom, Lehner, Reimer, Andersen, Mazanec.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest0264 Posted - 11/28/2013 : 15:49:21
Ended up going with Backstrom. Minnesota and Colorado have a back to back coming up and that's what made my decision. Thomas was a close second. Will definitely be on my radar. Thanks again and good luck to everyone in their respective pools
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/28/2013 : 10:23:07
That's pretty much what I meant. Stick with Howard but if you can trade another player for Thomas I totally would.
nuxfan Posted - 11/28/2013 : 09:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Wow, Thomas is available in your pool. Being where he is playing, not likely to be a major hockey pool contributor, but I might take the chance. He is definitely getting the starts and is usually good for a few shutouts. Of all the goalies you mentioned he is probably the one I would go for.

You would be surprised, I have Thomas in one of my yahoo pools and he's been reasonable fantasy value so far. I suspect he'll get better as the season goes on, and as you say, will get the majority of the starts in FLA.

I still wouldn't trade Howard for him.

@Guest0264 - I agree with your alternate plan, to drop another non-goalie to pickup one of Thomas or Backstrom.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/28/2013 : 08:17:53
Wow, Thomas is available in your pool. Being where he is playing, not likely to be a major hockey pool contributor, but I might take the chance. He is definitely getting the starts and is usually good for a few shutouts. Of all the goalies you mentioned he is probably the one I would go for.
Guest0264 Posted - 11/28/2013 : 01:46:17
Thanks for the quick replies. You guys all made valid points. What I was trying to say came out wrong. The goalies I'll have to stick with are Smith and Howard for this year unless I make a trade or waivers.

I dropped Nabokov(Bench player) before he got his injury for Fowler instead thinking my goalies would be solid. I'd have to most likely drop a forward to add another netminder. Plekanec(C), Nielsen(C), Purcell(RW), and Wheeler(RW) would be the ones I would have drop.(Forward points G, A, PPP, SHG)

Other goalies I forgot to mention are Dubynk, Bryzgalov, Gustavsson, and Thomas. Leaning towards Backstrom(Harding has never played a full season and will most likely split games if he does)
Alex116 Posted - 11/27/2013 : 15:00:30
Couldn't agreee more with the opinions stated. You're best off sticking it out for now with Howard.

Mazanec - likely will continue to start till Rinne returns, then may or may not be the backup? Also, questionable as to whether or not he'll continue this hot start? If you move for this guy, you will need to make another move in a month when he loses out his role to the return of Rinne.

Reimer - Tandem. One which in my opinion, he'll eventually lose out on. At best, he remains in a tandem till year end. As mentioned, unlikely to continue the hot start and the Leafs have already run into a bit of a slump.

Lehner and Anderson - As noted, the Sens seem reluctant to give Lehner more starts, but that could change. Either way, you're gamling on who will be the one with the majority of starts from here on out.

Backstrom - Harding is currently hurt and is giving Backstrom a shot at winning the starting gig back, something he's held for some time now. Harding MS issues could become a problem at any point but again, you're relying on the unknown.

In Howard, you have a starter on a decent team. Stick with him, be patient and make a move if you hit desperation point.

Good luck!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/27/2013 : 14:27:23
Further to the point Nuxfan touched on is the fact you are basically taking a wild guess as to if any of the other goalies will regain the #1 position or a winning record. Backstrom is a starter but Harding is playing him out of the #1 so far this year. Same with Lehner to Anderson, but the Sen are refusing to outright give Lehner the edge on starts, even though Anderson's record and stats haven't corrected themselves. Probably by after the halfway point if Anderson's record doesn't improve Lehner will be given the starting role. I'd stick with Howard for now and hope whatever struggles the Wings are having is not a trend. Howard of the group will get the most starts and likely end with the best record, current record aside.
nuxfan Posted - 11/27/2013 : 10:45:43
Don't get roped into the sell low and buy high trap.

Howard is the defacto starter in DET - unless you think that will change, I would hang on to Howard, he is a good goalie going through a bad patch along with the rest of his team. He will recover.

With the exception of Backstrom, the other goalies you mention are all either in tandem situations and/or riding current hot streaks. They probably won't get the same opportunities that Howard will, and in the case of Reimer and Lehner, probably won't be maintaining the same level of performance that they have enjoyed.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page