Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 1/3 way thu the season buyout candidates

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/07/2013 : 15:47:55
As we all know some players have signed contracts they have no ability to earn or in unfortunate circumstances in which the will likely be boughtout. Wondering who at this point of the season is early buyout candidate's.

Last year it was the heated debate about Grabovski in Toronto, understandable Lecavalier clearing of cap space, very deserving Gomez buyout, unfortunate Redden situation in New York and a few other deserving candidates. Speculation about Loungo lasted almost the entire season, which resulted in what many figured to be the number #1 moving on to New Jersey in Schneider (my favorite result BTW). I can't see anyone on my team being a buyout candidate, so I was wondering what other teams candidates for buyout for this year looked like.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/16/2013 : 10:17:30
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

an amnesty buyout would cost $20M at this point. And unlike a later buyout, there is no residual cap hit for the amnesty buyout.

I agree with you on the merits of the buyout on the strength of the not incurring a residual cap hit and didn't realize it would only cost $20 million to just walk away from a perfectly fine goaltender who is a legit #1 in this league. I just don't see it unless his game drops off. I do see his likelihood of staying in Vancouver to the end of his contract very low. I think they will take it mid term and find a buyer in his later seasons, when his value as a goalie is less than his cap hit.
Alex116 Posted - 12/15/2013 : 00:26:04
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8126
At the risk of stirring up the Leafknobs, Clarkson is a huge buyout candidate. He has bust written all over him. He reminds me of Sean Avery in that he goes past the point of agitator and actually hurts his time, he has goal scoring ability but he produces inconsistently, and he doesn't have much of a defensive game. The only difference between Clarkson and Avery in my eyes is Clarkson is not a mouthpiece off the ice.

I recently mentioned that I was unaware of Clarkson's "agitator" part of his game. I had no idea he was that much of a pot stirring kind of guy? Has he always been this way / was he like this in NJ???

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8126

I know I would be looking closely at the $31+ million owing to Clarkson over the next 6 seasons and think of many other creative ways to spend that money. As an owner I would be asking why did the team sign Clarskon and buy out Grabvoski as I was watching the Caps in the playoffs while my entire team is golfing. Then would look at the individual scoring list looking closely at where my $8 million stud is in the order compared to where the Tyler Seguin is on the list. I would then take a long draw of my $2500 shot of scotch, cry a little, then dry my eye with $100 bills I would dispose of in the fireplace in my top floor office on Bay Street. Then I would fire the coach, GM, entire front office, and start the build all over again. I would then start my stop watch for 4 years so I can do it all over again.

I also mentioned THIS before......As far as I recall, the rules were that each team was allowed 2 compliance buy outs over two years (within a certain deadline each year). The Leafs used one on Komisarek, and one on Grabovski, no? So, they're stuck with Clarkson. FTR, I don't think they'd buyout Clarkson this early (next summer, after just one year). I do still believe, and have since they signed him to that deal, that he will end up being a regret for the Leafs in a few years.
Guest8126 Posted - 12/14/2013 : 15:32:59
Although I see the financial value of buying out Luongo, Vancouver would also have to go out the find a replacement. There ain't no one in the system today or who will be available that will be an upgrade or an even swap. If they can find another guy who will be a comparable replacement it will cost them a pile more than they are paying Luongo based on Lundqvist and Raask's recent deals and the cap going up by a lot next season. I think Luongo moving is a bad short and long term move.

At the risk of stirring up the Leafknobs, Clarkson is a huge buyout candidate. He has bust written all over him. He reminds me of Sean Avery in that he goes past the point of agitator and actually hurts his time, he has goal scoring ability but he produces inconsistently, and he doesn't have much of a defensive game. The only difference between Clarkson and Avery in my eyes is Clarkson is not a mouthpiece off the ice.

I know I would be looking closely at the $31+ million owing to Clarkson over the next 6 seasons and think of many other creative ways to spend that money. As an owner I would be asking why did the team sign Clarskon and buy out Grabvoski as I was watching the Caps in the playoffs while my entire team is golfing. Then would look at the individual scoring list looking closely at where my $8 million stud is in the order compared to where the Tyler Seguin is on the list. I would then take a long draw of my $2500 shot of scotch, cry a little, then dry my eye with $100 bills I would dispose of in the fireplace in my top floor office on Bay Street. Then I would fire the coach, GM, entire front office, and start the build all over again. I would then start my stop watch for 4 years so I can do it all over again.

Gawd do the Leafs ever suck.Worst franchise in sports that has the most money! They are so easy to hate to laugh at and to make fun of from the team to their ownership. By far the most fun to make fun of is their idiotic, illogical, and completely dilusional fans.
nuxfan Posted - 12/10/2013 : 12:51:00
an amnesty buyout would cost $20M at this point. And unlike a later buyout, there is no residual cap hit for the amnesty buyout.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/10/2013 : 11:25:18
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

I think Luongo is still a buyout candidate for VAN. Gillis could have used them both this past offseason but did not, I think he might be saving one, just in case things didn't go well. Luongo has played well this year, and seems to have put the bad blood behind him now, but VAN should be very worried about the "Luongo rule" impact his contract could have on the team cap situation in a few years time.

If they don't use it on Luongo, then Booth is the obvious candidate. I cannot take another year of 4.25M being wasted on this guy.

I agree its tempting because of the length of term and the fact Vancouver clears up that much cap space, but I just don't see them giving him $30 some odd million to walk away from his contract. I see them buying out his contract closure to the end of its term, if at all. Maybe in 2017/18 if the quality of his play faulters, more.
Guest9715 Posted - 12/08/2013 : 05:39:38
I am thinking that they should use it on Gillis
nuxfan Posted - 12/07/2013 : 20:55:42
I think Luongo is still a buyout candidate for VAN. Gillis could have used them both this past offseason but did not, I think he might be saving one, just in case things didn't go well. Luongo has played well this year, and seems to have put the bad blood behind him now, but VAN should be very worried about the "Luongo rule" impact his contract could have on the team cap situation in a few years time.

If they don't use it on Luongo, then Booth is the obvious candidate. I cannot take another year of 4.25M being wasted on this guy.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page