Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Joe Thornton - Could he move?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/11/2013 : 18:48:57
Is Thorton possibly available. I hate to say this because he is one of the best forwards of recent history, but with him aging and Couture being promoted as San Jose's future, could the right package be offered that would have Thorton as the return. Marleau is a center so 1 would think San Jose has the depth if the right offer came across the table. Love to see this guy play in a Canadian market and imagining him in Toronto or Ottawa. Currently he is not projected as an Olympian for this year which IMO a huge mistake. Can't imagine a Team Canada without Jumbo Joe.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 12/18/2013 : 10:52:11
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
The foot speed thing is a good point, but at any point when has his foot speed been a deterent for him to succeed at any level of hockey.

This year they'll be playing on international sized ice - bigger rinks, you want guys that have speed. I can only imagine that this was a mitigating factor with Thornton, he's not as fast as he used to be - and he was not that fast to begin with.

But, I still maintain that he lost out simply due to depth of the team. It sucks when you are centre #4 but the team only needs 3.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/17/2013 : 17:32:19
I am gonna take it as a one man job to get Thornton on team Canada. 2nd in assist in all of the NHL and 9th in points with 35. Still not getting why Big Joe isn't getting the love. The foot speed thing is a good point, but at any point when has his foot speed been a deterent for him to succeed at any level of hockey. Would love to see this guy lace it up this year for the Gold and/or Ottawa. Come on Melnyk open the wallet and make the offer.
Leafs81 Posted - 12/14/2013 : 10:16:54
Toronto would have to shed a lot of salary to acquire Big Joe. As much as I would like to see Phil Kessel score 50 goals on a line with Joe Thornton, I just don't see it.

As for Olympics, I know speed is a big factor on the big ice, but the puck moves faster then any player, and Joe is top at moving the puck. But yes there is so much depth at center on Team Canada. Being from any other country, or playing any other positions, Joe Thornton would make the Olympics.
Guest2186 Posted - 12/13/2013 : 08:35:45
I would have no problem saying his vision is elite if not the best in the nhl. What he lacks for team canada is the foot speed which will be crucial on the big ice surface. Still love jumbo joe though, glad to see him consistently solid again this year. Father Time has yet to catch up to this guy.
nuxfan Posted - 12/13/2013 : 08:27:01
If Thornton became available, I would think 20 or 25 teams would be interested in getting him. And one of those teams would be SJ... which is why I don't think he'll become available. SJ can afford him even at his current level, he is producing, he is (probably) comfortable in SJ. He may want to win, but SJ has as good a chance as any of the contenders to do that - teams with a better chance already have a Thornton-type player.

I just don't see it happening. I agree that he is the old guard, and SJ has a new young core that is focused on Couture going forward. But Thornton still provides huge value and produces, you don't just get rid of him because you have someone else younger. You keep them both.

As for Olympics - I think it speaks more to Canada's depth at centre than it does about Thornton. As good as he is, I too would take Crosby, Getzlaf, Toews over Thornton.
n/a Posted - 12/13/2013 : 05:44:10
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

This is not a rumor I read anywhere, just pure speculation. He is a UFA in 2014 and a pretty good player, but the way the press is talking about him, being the old guard in San Jose and missing a step with the young players coming up behind him, I thought I'd bring it up. IMO, Toronto, Ottawa and at least a dozen other teams have room on the top line for Thornton, yet he is off of most peoples team Canada rosters.

Here is my dream trade scenario, Thornton for Spezza+something. I would assume Toronto would likely offer a kings ransom too. Imagine Big Joe manning the top line in one of these 2 cities.

I've imagined Thornton coming to Toronto in a dream scenario myself . . . never saw him going to Ottawa for some reason though

My guess is, that when Burke was here, if there was even a glimmer of a possibility with Thornton . . . he would have explored it. I would certainly think that, despite Thornton obviously being more on the downside of his career (still producing big number however), Toronto - and many other teams - would be all over wanting him. I agree that the Leafs, and I'd put in Montreal as well, might be willing to pay a bit more for him, considering their needs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
umteman Posted - 12/12/2013 : 16:41:31
Wether deserved or not he has the reputation of being a solid regular season performer who comes up short in the playoffs. That said he did come up big when they needed him to against LA last spring. I don't see him going anywhere.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/12/2013 : 16:16:01
This is not a rumor I read anywhere, just pure speculation. He is a UFA in 2014 and a pretty good player, but the way the press is talking about him, being the old guard in San Jose and missing a step with the young players coming up behind him, I thought I'd bring it up. IMO, Toronto, Ottawa and at least a dozen other teams have room on the top line for Thornton, yet he is off of most peoples team Canada rosters.

Here is my dream trade scenario, Thornton for Spezza+something. I would assume Toronto would likely offer a kings ransom too. Imagine Big Joe manning the top line in one of these 2 cities.
markliso Posted - 12/12/2013 : 12:00:44
Thornton *

It was bugging me. And luckily Nux and Alex were already spelling his name correctly.
nuxfan Posted - 12/12/2013 : 09:57:26
I agree with Alex - there is little reason (that I can see) for SJ to consider trading Thornton, given the year that they are having and the position that they're in. Nor has there been any word that Thornton is looking for such a move. He's been a steady performer throughout his career, nearly PPG, and has not slowed down this year. At 34, he still has some good years left in him.

With the cap projected to rise next year as well, there are no cap issues for resigning Thornton. I see SJ signing him to a 3-4 year extension, which would see him probably retire as a Shark.

That being said, anyone is tradable for the right package. But I have to think the offer would have to be stupendous to pry him away.
Alex116 Posted - 12/11/2013 : 21:34:26
Would they move him when they're having a pretty good season? I really doubt it. This team has come up short come playoff time so many times that I can't see them moving him now or before the deadline.

The fact that he's a UFA at season's end (I think?), makes it a slight possibility as he could sign anywhere and leave SJ with nothing in return, but it still seems far fetched to me. However, looking at the standings, they're only 1 pt up on StL for 4th, and the Blues have 3 games in hand. So, they're basically 5th at the moment. Maybe if they finish 5-8 and have to go on the road to start the playoffs, they'd make a bold move???

Dunno, gut says no still. Joshua, did you hear a rumour of this or something???

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page