Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Special Team Woes

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4377 Posted - 02/03/2014 : 17:26:30
The Oilers allowed a league-leading 10th shorthanded goal in their 58th game of the season, in a game against the only team below them in the NHL standings - the Buffalo Sabres.

If you think the Oilers are approaching a record, think again. Three teams share the record for most shorthanded goals against (the number is 22): Pittsburgh (84-85), Minnesota (91-92), Colorado (95-96). It's very unlikely the Oilers will "reach" this auspicious record.

If you go back thirty years ago, a very different Oilers team scored 36 shorthanded goals in an NHL season, a record very unlikely to be broken. Wow - that's a shorthanded goal (almost) every second game!

And back to today, one team is on track to score fewer power play goals than the number of shorthanded goals scored by the 83-84 Oilers.

At the 2/3 pole (55 game mark), the Florida Panthers have scored 16 goals on the power play. They're currently 16 for 181 on the power play (8.8%).

At their current pace, the Panthers could score less power play goals in a season than the 83-84 Oilers scored shorthanded!

Sure - times are different, but that's quite a "feat!"
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4377 Posted - 02/04/2014 : 22:13:34
Good point Leafs81 - the Avalanche did win the cup that year (1995-96). And while they allowed a record number of shorthanded goals in the regular season, they also led the league with shorthanded goals the other way (for) at 21.

They were also near the top of the league (tied for second) with a power play percentage of 21.3%. I'm guessing the Avalanche power play was exciting that season, for goals scored, but also for chances (and goals against) given up.

The Avalanche (despite having Patrick Roy in net) were not defensively tight that season. They were 18th (out of 26 teams) in GA, but second in the league in GF.

In addition to Sakic and Forsberg, they had Claude Lemieux, Valeri Kamensky, Scott Young, Adam Deadmarsh up front, which was plenty to overcome any defensive weaknesses.

As for Joe Sakic, the 26-year-old blossomed in the playoffs, tallying 18 goals and 16 assists in 22 playoff games, and Sakic picked up the Conn Smythe Trophy to go along with the Stanley Cup!

And the cup win was the first and only time a first year city (not team, and not counting the Rockies) won the cup. This was the first NHL season for the Colorado Avalanche, after the Quebec Nordiques transferred there after the 1994-95 season.

And I suppose in some way, one could say that the Nordiques suffered the greatest of "special team" woes!
Alex116 Posted - 02/04/2014 : 14:32:15
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Wow I can't believe Colorado let in 22 shorthanded goals in 95/96. Didn't they have Patrick Roy (half the season but still) and didn't they had Rob Blake, Sandis Ozolinsh, Adam Foote and Uwe Krupp on defense, and didn't they have like a STANLEY CUP WINNING TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall all the players, but i do remember Forsberg playing the point a lot? The more forwards on the PP, the better the chance for a shorty? Maybe they had a 5 fwd PP? Lol.
Leafs81 Posted - 02/04/2014 : 13:12:48
Wow I can't believe Colorado let in 22 shorthanded goals in 95/96. Didn't they have Patrick Roy (half the season but still) and didn't they had Rob Blake, Sandis Ozolinsh, Adam Foote and Uwe Krupp on defense, and didn't they have like a STANLEY CUP WINNING TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alex116 Posted - 02/03/2014 : 22:44:49
Wow, some crazy numbers in there. That shorthanded total is ridiculous!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page