Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Price or Luongo?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
just1n Posted - 02/10/2014 : 23:20:44
So gang, who's going to be "the guy" in Sochi for Team Canada? The TSN guys have seemed to go with Price. I can see that, given the downward slide the Canucks have been on, but things can change in a hurry in a short tourney like the Olympics. Can't pin all that on Lu either.

Who's going it going to be?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
just1n Posted - 02/20/2014 : 14:26:06
I thought Latvia/Switz was a good game to watch. What I really love about watching these games is that I don't have to watch any commercials either (I guess I should just a PVR eh?)
Guest2450 Posted - 02/18/2014 : 18:02:59
I for one cant wait for the NHL to resume. With the exception of the US/ Russia game I found these games to be very boring.

I dont know how anyone could say the Latvia/Switzerland game was good. The Q league games are faster. Even Canada's games werent all that great. Maybe the medal games will make up for it but as of right now im not all that impressed.
irvine Posted - 02/18/2014 : 16:39:42
Bored against Latvia? Perhaps.

But year after year, these teams are progressing. Are they REAL contenders? No. But they are getting to be actual threats. If a team lets up, a team with pride (such as Latvia, Slovenia, Austria, etc.) could end up surprising.

I've said it the past three years or more. These teams are improving, and are proving more and more it should not just be the top 6 type teams.

See Switzerland for instance. Silver at World Championships. These teams are being coached and scouted by NA professionals. And, are learning more and more how to play North American and Russian teams. (Also, Scandanavian teams).

Are they REAL threats yet? No. But they are capable of upsets.

They play with pride and never give up.

I'm really starting to like the style these teams are starting to play now. It's making for even better hockey.

Honestly, a Latvia vs Austria or Slovakia vs Czech game, are just fun to watch now.

Of course Czechs and Slovaks aren't exactly Latvia / Austria style teams. As, they are clearly more skilled. But. It's just getting better.

If the NHL disallow NHL players in 2018, I'll begin losing a lot of respect for the NHL.

Irvine/prez.
just1n Posted - 02/18/2014 : 12:16:55
Price is probably going to be pretty bored against Latvia but he'll need to be sharp once in a while.

Man, his mask is soooo ugly though. Lu definitely wins there (probably the best collection in the NHL, imho)
Pasty7 Posted - 02/17/2014 : 13:16:39
The key thing is that he could stay sharp even though he went sometimes 10 + without a shot, In OT he made a big blocker save look easy, take it from a goalie it is really hard to make a save like that when you have basicly done nothing for the last 25 + minutes. With the defense Canada has against most teams there is a good chance our goalies will see limited work so this is a huge quality that helps team Canada!"

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
nuxfan Posted - 02/17/2014 : 08:33:07
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

looks like its going to be Carey!

[pause] Hello? Hello?

And indeed it was. As usual, he wasn't tested a whole lot, but he was solid when he had to be and made a couple of key saves late. Ride him going forward.
Pasty7 Posted - 02/16/2014 : 08:43:47
looks like its going to be Carey!

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 02/15/2014 : 11:53:16
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

Luongo on his win yesterday: "It's nice. It's my first win in three weeks

LOL at least he has a good attitude

Lol, that's that "Strombone" sense of humour he's shown us over the past couple of years! He's actually a pretty funny guy, just never showed it (personality) earlier in his career.
mandree888 Posted - 02/15/2014 : 09:25:30
Luongo on his win yesterday: "It's nice. It's my first win in three weeks

LOL at least he has a good attitude
Leafs81 Posted - 02/14/2014 : 17:56:00
After seeing both games,

Luongo seems ready, he has the experience and I think they should go with him from now on. True the sample was really small, but Luongo looked really poised, no pressure and was just making big saves when needed.

Many people are saying, if Price falters, then Luongo can come in like he did last time but really if or when Price falters it might be too late.

Go with Lou on Sunday and ride with him for the rest of the way.
just1n Posted - 02/14/2014 : 17:23:00
Yeah, I was surprised to read that Luongo started the first game in Vancouver 2010. We shall see!
Alex116 Posted - 02/14/2014 : 16:25:16
I disagree. I think the decision was already made that Price would get the Sunday game and the gig would be his to run with. I think Price would have had to look really sketchy AND Luongo really brilliant for it to change. Against the opposition they face, neither was likely. Sure, Price had one minor miscue, but i don't think it was enough.

Personally i think Luongo should be the one, but i'm okay with it being Price as i know that if Price falters, Lu will be ready to step in like he did the last time!
nuxfan Posted - 02/14/2014 : 13:19:25
so now what? Both goalies played well in their respective games, who starts vs Finland?

I think it will be Luongo, he was sharp when needed today. It will be his tournament unless he falters.
just1n Posted - 02/12/2014 : 11:16:46
I'd be absolutely shocked if Smith got in unless Lu or Price got injured.
Alex116 Posted - 02/12/2014 : 06:42:32
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Looks like its going to be Price in the opener, then Lou in game 2.

I'm more surprised that Quick is getting the start for the US. Miller is the reigning MVP of the tournament and is having a really good season to date. Quick has not played to his usual level this season (thus far).
ryan93 Posted - 02/12/2014 : 03:53:20
Looks like its going to be Price in the opener, then Lou in game 2.
n/a Posted - 02/11/2014 : 17:34:02
I'd go with Lou as well. But it'd be a very short leash . . . and I play Lou first game, Price second, and third game goes to who played best.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
The Duke Posted - 02/11/2014 : 16:28:58
Luongo gets 1st dibs...he deserves it, one gold already.
nuxfan Posted - 02/11/2014 : 15:55:51
whoever is hottest.

I have absolutely no allegiance to any of the 3 goalies in this case, I will gladly see Babcock ride the hot hand.

I notice that the OP left out the possibility of Smith seeing some action. In this tournament, between injuries or bad play, anything can happen.
just1n Posted - 02/11/2014 : 13:06:22
I pretty much agree with you fully, Alex. It'll be interesting to see how it all goes down, things can change in a hurry.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 02/11/2014 : 12:02:40
I was never a fan of BobbyLu 'til Marty faltered in 2010. At that point, I remember thinking that Luongo was the clutch guy we needed. This is not hindsight. I even texted a 'Nucks fan friend saying that we needed that greasy Italian kid to save the tournament.

Bobby did the job, and deserves the chance to do it again. It also encourages me that his attitude is so FREAKIN' relaxed considering what has gone on with him the past year and a half.

Seems to me Carey Price might be too jittery, given that this is a 2-week tourny. Price will obviously play in the prelims, but the job goes to Luongo.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Alex116 Posted - 02/10/2014 : 23:39:33
Such a tough question and the funny thing is, whoever the starter is, may not be the starter come the medal round. We've seen goalie changes in the past including Luongo taking over for Brodeur and Brodeur taking over for Cujo (during the tournament). I think Team Canada / Babcock is doing the smart thing and giving a start to each of them to gauge how they're playing. Now, Norway and Austria may not be the stiffest completion, but any slight falter on either guy's part and it may seal their fate as the backup moving forward as I believe their 3rd game is when it starts to get tough (vs Finland).

Carey Price just won the player of the week award in the NHL (first star?) which is great timing for him however the team claims they'll evaluate both guys starts in their first two games and decide from there? Today, most of the "panel" thinks it will/should be Price, however, a week or two ago, most thought it was Luongo's job to lose, not just due to him winning last time around but they also said his style of play suits the big ice better as he plays deeper in the net and not as aggressively as Price (which can be a problem on the big ice).

I'm happy with either, though if I were the one making the decision, I'd go with Price, as I know that Luongo is capable of coming in and taking over if needed seeing as that's what he did last time around.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page