Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Marty St. Louis a Ranger

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 03/05/2014 : 08:50:25
St. Louis has been dealt to the Rangers for Ryan Callahan and two picks. There are conditions as well including a pick going the other way if Callahan resigns in TB AND a 2nd becomes a first for TB if NYR make the ECF?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryan93 Posted - 03/05/2014 : 11:03:35
Personally, I love the trade for the Rangers. St.Louis is my favorite player though, so my opinion may be biased. Brad Richards grew up in the same area as myself and I've been following his career since his Atom days....so I'm very excited for the Richards-St Louis reunion.

Ryan Callahan hasn't been nearly as effective under AV, and his asking price made me very nervous. I really didn't want the Rangers committing to him long term at $6+ million per. I would rather have seem him walk for nothing come July 1st. There's a chance Callahan resigns in TB and in that case it would only be a pending UFA and a 1st for likely 3ish play-off years for Marty. Even if Callahan doesn't sign in TB, I still like this risk for NYR. The Rangers veteran core...Richards, Nash, Lundqvist, and now St.Louis...aren't getting any younger and their window shrinks by the year.
Alex116 Posted - 03/05/2014 : 10:51:13
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

This was one of those trades, that for me was two trades (St Louis from TB, and Callahan from the NYR) that I thought weren't going to happen after all the talk died down.

On top of that . . . I am truly surprised TB was allowed to get so much in return. Even just Callahan and a 2nd rounder was good value in my opinion . . . but to get the first rounder too? Wow. I have to call this a steal for TB if I am judging it right now.

And that's not to take anything away from St. Louis, who is head and shoulders the best player in the deal. BUT . . . for the time that St. Louis will be in NY playing before retirement - this year, next year maybe, probably not much after that - Will St. Louis push the Rangers any farther ahead towards a Stanley Cup? They didn't become cup contenders suddenly, not serious ones, with this trade. And not for next year either.

The loss of Callahan will be felt on another level in New York . . . which I feel really mitigates getting such a high-end player like St. Louis.

It think it's a bad deal for the Rangers. Great deal for TB.
"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Considering he said he'd only go to NYR AND he wanted out, the bolded statement above is spot on!
n/a Posted - 03/05/2014 : 10:37:22
This was one of those trades, that for me was two trades (St Louis from TB, and Callahan from the NYR) that I thought weren't going to happen after all the talk died down.

On top of that . . . I am truly surprised TB was allowed to get so much in return. Even just Callahan and a 2nd rounder was good value in my opinion . . . but to get the first rounder too? Wow. I have to call this a steal for TB if I am judging it right now.

And that's not to take anything away from St. Louis, who is head and shoulders the best player in the deal. BUT . . . for the time that St. Louis will be in NY playing before retirement - this year, next year maybe, probably not much after that - Will St. Louis push the Rangers any farther ahead towards a Stanley Cup? They didn't become cup contenders suddenly, not serious ones, with this trade. And not for next year either.

The loss of Callahan will be felt on another level in New York . . . which I feel really mitigates getting such a high-end player like St. Louis.

It think it's a bad deal for the Rangers. Great deal for TB.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
irvine Posted - 03/05/2014 : 10:14:42
I can understand moving Marty. I guess I just don't understand moving him at this point in the season. When I look at the move, it's not a terrible return for a guy at 39 years of age. But when you consider all factors, you realize that Marty is only going to go to one team. The NYR.

And at this point, Yzerman has the upperhand I suppose. Had The Bolts waited, the return for Marty in the summer would be less. NY would basically be able to say.. "Look. Marty wants to be here. It's the only place he's going to go. If you want a return for him, its whatever we give you."

So I guess in the end.. I agree with Stevie moving Marty now. Even though the return is a less offensive player, I believe now is when they get the highest return to the only team they can virtually trade with.

I also don't see Callaghan being a bolt next year. Not if he continues to want 6 years at 6 million. Yzerman is not going to pay him that much, for that long. Not a for a sand paper, grit guy.

Irvine/prez.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page