Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Second round prediction

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leafs81 Posted - 05/01/2014 : 14:59:39
Here are your thoughts on who's going to win this round to win the division.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 10:03:08
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Boston in a landslide. No disrespect but I think Montreal wins only game 3. PS, if there is a bucketlist game to be at, it's game 3 of this series.

NY beats PITT. Sadly I want to bet on Pitt but after watching them trip over themselves against CBJ I can't see them winning. NYR are an excellent defensive team.

Chicago will make Minny look like Minny. If there is a sweep in the 2nd round, this is it.

I flipped a coin and it was head's so I take LA. I really think this could go either way but I also think Quick put the worst games of the playoffs behind him.

Book it.

Wow, when a guy is wrong he's dead wrong! Congrats to the Habs. Unexpected but well deserved. Goes to show how much great coaching, players buying into a system, and an out of this world goalie can beat anything.

Beans, you and I have disagreed about some of this in the past. I bring this up because of the quote above. What I want to know is, what was the most important thing in the Habs win over the B's? You mention "great coaching", "players buying into a system" and "out of this world goalie". I'm not trying to start something here, but I'm questioning this because suddenly Alain Vigneault is in the final 4 (again) with somewhat of an underdog team. As a Canucks coach, this guy was "terrible" and couldn't keep his team disciplined, etc, etc.
I'm not trying to say "screw you Beans, you were so wrong....", but I'm curious what your take is on the Rangers making it to the conference finals after beating the Pens?
Is AV still a bad coach? Did he change when he went to NY? OR, did the discipline that you said he didn't instill on the Canucks suddenly get attention in NY???

I think Slozo has a point with his right coach in the right place. We've seen that with other coaches as well with a recent example being Boudreau in Washington compared to Anaheim.

As far as AV goes, I think he was a good fit with NY as he seems to be a guy who roles 4 lines and expects everyone to do their job. That's how he ran Vancouver and also how he is running NY. Torts is a guy who rides and dies with his best players. That didn't work in NY and didn't work in Vancouver either.

I also think AV walked into a better defensive team as well as better and consistent goaltending. Not having to deal with the Luongo/Schneider thing must have been better. Also, NY was a more disciplined team than Vancouver ever has been so he didn't have as much work to do on that front.

In the end, it does look like I was wrong. Not saying AV is a good or great coach yet, but he isn't as bad as I thought he was in Vancouver. At the same time, NY in the conference finals isn't a huge shock. This team made the conf. finals 2 years ago and conf. semis last year losing to the East Conf. champions. AV hasn't done anything Torts didn't already do.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/15/2014 : 09:47:39
I'd say the Bruins attitude lost them this series.
The handshake say it all. There was no shock and awe in the handshake. All I seen was attitude, like theres gonna be a game 8 or 9. Montreal played well and had the better goalie. Chara although still one of my favorite players, was a liability more than an asset. Rask played shaky in game 7, especially at the start of the game. All Montreal had to do was whether the storm of desperate shots and fire back. They knew there man in net was gonna win them this game. Thats the difference of a team playing with an attitude (Bruins/Lucic) and a team playing with confidence (Montreal/Price)

Hate seeing Iginla eliminated from the playoffs, but happy the Bruins are eliminated.
n/a Posted - 05/15/2014 : 07:55:00
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

quote:

Boston in a landslide. No disrespect but I think Montreal wins only game 3. PS, if there is a bucketlist game to be at, it's game 3 of this series.

NY beats PITT. Sadly I want to bet on Pitt but after watching them trip over themselves against CBJ I can't see them winning. NYR are an excellent defensive team.

Chicago will make Minny look like Minny. If there is a sweep in the 2nd round, this is it.

I flipped a coin and it was head's so I take LA. I really think this could go either way but I also think Quick put the worst games of the playoffs behind him.

Book it.

Wow, when a guy is wrong he's dead wrong! Congrats to the Habs. Unexpected but well deserved. Goes to show how much great coaching, players buying into a system, and an out of this world goalie can beat anything.

Beans, you and I have disagreed about some of this in the past. I bring this up because of the quote above. What I want to know is, what was the most important thing in the Habs win over the B's? You mention "great coaching", "players buying into a system" and "out of this world goalie". I'm not trying to start something here, but I'm questioning this because suddenly Alain Vigneault is in the final 4 (again) with somewhat of an underdog team. As a Canucks coach, this guy was "terrible" and couldn't keep his team disciplined, etc, etc.
I'm not trying to say "screw you Beans, you were so wrong....", but I'm curious what your take is on the Rangers making it to the conference finals after beating the Pens?
Is AV still a bad coach? Did he change when he went to NY? OR, did the discipline that you said he didn't instill on the Canucks suddenly get attention in NY???

Well, some of it's right coach for the right team . . . and at the right time. It's like meeting that girl who could be your wife: for those of you who are married, think back to when you met her, and put yourself (or her) back a few years, maybe being in a different place, different financial situation, being a bit of a different person. Would it still have worked out? I think it's the same with a team and a coach . . . there is that element of right philosophy with the right personnel, but it also needs timing there too quite often.

Bottom line, it was Carey Price and PK Subban who were the 1A and 1B reasons for the Habs win over the Bruins. The 2nd reason was, they match up well against them, in terms of how they play with a speedy counter-attack (similar style to the Leafs who pushed the Bruins to 7 the year before), and 3rd reason was perhaps the Bruins not having any any of a number of stars on their team rise up to give a command performance - absent Iginla who played fairly well, if any of Krejci, Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Eriksson, Lucic were giving a monster performance . . . this would have had a different ending.

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
Alex116 Posted - 05/15/2014 : 00:08:38
quote:

quote:

Book it.

Beans15 Posted - 05/14/2014 : 20:04:26
quote:

Book it.

n/a Posted - 05/05/2014 : 05:38:54
quote:
Originally posted by CrockOShight

You know what? Why can't The Ducks beat The Kings? They are, after all, the favorite. Yet literally EVERY SINGLE PREDICTION I've read has "Kings in 6" (or fewer). Very interesting.

I mean, I get it. Boudreau, Hiller, the way The Kings played in The First Round... but I just had a moment of clarity here. Why not the Ducks? The Top Team in the Conference.

I'm switching my pick to Ducks in 6. I just got good odds on that on a betting site too. Interesting. Why not The Ducks?

I'll tell you why not - or at least, my reasons. And I'm sure some, if not many hockey prognosticators will agree with me on many.

1) Top line shutdown.
Anaheim, despite all the rhetoric otherwise, rely greatly upon Getzlaf and Perry. Getzlaf is indeed having an MVP-type season, he deserves all the respect i the world, especially with him heroically overcoming injury, etc this playoffs . . . BUT, shut down this top line, and you've won. Look at the games the Stars won, and you will see the pattern. Look at the teams that had success against the Ducks, you will again see the pattern. Against good teams that are able to shut down the top line . . . you only need to score two goals to win, basically.

On the other hand, for the Kings - they traditionally have been able to scrape by with second and third line scoring. Whether it's Carter, Williams, Richards, Brown, etc . . . because Kopitar and Gaborik aren't relied upon as heavily, and due to the line mixing that happens . . . much much harder to shutdown just the one line and win against the Kings.

Traditionaly, in any even match-up, the top lines often nix each other out.

2) Better defence, and better goaltending.
This is on paper mind you, and in reference to "if all are playing their best and uninjured" - which is why they play the games! That being said, Quick recovered from a poor start to these playoffs, and is now playing at a very good level - not even his best yet, mind you. And the LA defensive structure is well-known, and their d-corps is formidable.

Anaheim is well-coached, has a great system, and have played well, but . . . they don't have the same talent level. Beauchemin, Cam Fowler . . . they aren't at the gamebreaker level of a Drew Doughty, that's just a fact.

Hiller can get hot, and make this even in goal; but on D, it's no contest, LA is just better.

3) Playing with a lead / team defence / PK
The Kings are a team you have to have a lead on, otherwise you are toast. Anaheim is a bit more reachable . . . as we've seen, despite how fortuitous that game on Sat night was for the Kings. I'll wager that never would have happened to the Kings.

Defensively, the Kings forwards have no peers, save for maybe Boston. They have one of the most experienced and best PK units in the league . . . and despite floating through the regular season at only a decent pace, they know when to turn it on. And, they have.

The PK is key - it's key to holding a one goal lead late in the game with the pressure on; and it allows the Kings to play a hard, physical brand of hockey (much like the Bruins formula). And with Carter and Mike Richards . . . you have to be very careful.

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
ryan93 Posted - 05/04/2014 : 19:18:51
I was 7/8 in the first round, only had the Sharks/Kings wrong. I did have the series going 7 though, so was close :)

I was away on vacation the last week so didn't get my second round predictions in. A little late but here goes...

Boston/Montreal...Boston in 6
Pittsburgh/New York...New York in 7 (can't go against my team!)
Anaheim/Los Angeles...Los Angeles in 6
Chicago/Minnesota...Chicago in 5
CrockOShight Posted - 05/03/2014 : 16:44:01
You know what? Why can't The Ducks beat The Kings? They are, after all, the favorite. Yet literally EVERY SINGLE PREDICTION I've read has "Kings in 6" (or fewer). Very interesting.

I mean, I get it. Boudreau, Hiller, the way The Kings played in The First Round... but I just had a moment of clarity here. Why not the Ducks? The Top Team in the Conference.

I'm switching my pick to Ducks in 6. I just got good odds on that on a betting site too. Interesting. Why not The Ducks?
Alex116 Posted - 05/02/2014 : 14:39:28
A day late, but was picking the Habs to upset originally anyway. I'll prob be proven wrong, much like i often was in round 1 of course but.......

Habs in 6. - Can't see Montreal winning in Beantown in game 7 so they basically have to close them out at home.

NYR in 6 - Lundqvist vs Fleury? 'Nuff said.

Chi in 5 - Just can't see Minny doing much here. Then again, i thought Col would handle them too?

Ana in 7 - I just don't buy into the LA hype. Maybe i'll be proven wrong again, but i think if Hiller / Andersen give the Ducks above avg goaltending, they can beat LA.

If we were doing our usual playoff contest, i'd have been eliminated in round 1 for sure going just 4/8, so don't expect much here.
mandree888 Posted - 05/02/2014 : 14:05:20
sigh a day late again......

Boston in 6
NYR in 7

Chi in 6
ANA in 7
CrockOShight Posted - 05/02/2014 : 13:18:16
I completely agree with all of them.

Boston in 7.

Hard to imagine the Habs taking down the Big Bad Bruins... But for whatever reason, the Habs have the Bruins number. I think this one will be similar to 2010-2011 - Game 7 OT. It could come down to that.

But that Game last night... Wow. The Bruins absolutely CAVED IN the Habs last night. I can't believe that Montreal pulled that one out. This could be a very interesting series after all.

New York in 6.

New York is deeper and has better goaltending. I picked the Rangers at the beginning of the Playoff as being this year's sleeper team. They have a Third Line with Brad Richards and Carl Hageline for crying out loud. Veteran Leadership, Balance, Defense, a great PK, a smart coach, and a good goalie. I wouldn't pick the Penguins here.

Chicago in 5.

I hate Minnesota now. Matt Cooke should have gotten 25 games. It disgusts me that he will play again in these Playoffs. And btw, this matchup "should be" Colorado-Chicago. The Cooke hit derailed everything.

Los Angeles in 7

It's hard to bet against the Kings at this time. I somewhat agree that the Ducks seem to be a "paper tiger" team; but you know what? They don't get enough respect. They were the top team in the East; and Dallas was playing some great hockey there. Some good support players on the Ducks: Bonino, Perreault, Winnik, Koivu, even Silfverberg and Selanne could come up big. I think we are all too easily picking the Kings... But then, it's pretty hard to NOT pick the Kings; isn't it? lol.

I went 6 out of 8 in Round 1. Missed San Jose and Columbus rofl. Yes, I picked Columbus. I didn't figure that Bobrovsky would have played THAT badly.

n/a Posted - 05/02/2014 : 05:42:04
A little late here, but here are my predictions:

Boston in 7
Habs play Bruins super-well, Price is playing well. But the Bruins will outlast them, and wear them all down. This looks like the most exciting series to watch (and yes, I WOULD have said that before last night's double OT thriller!).

NY Rangers in 6
I think the Rangers are floating through the playoffs with little attention or respect or expectation . . . and that makes them very dangerous. Lundqvist playing better, and frankly, Fleury can't even hold a candle to him. When there's that much of a talent disparity in goal . . . doesn't matter if you have Crosby and Malkin.

Chicago in 6
I think Minny will be a tougher out than anyone realises, but . . . I can't pick against Chi-town for obvious reasons. Again, looking in goal . . . when the more talented team up front (Chicago, in case you didn't know) also has the better goaltender . . . it's an easy choice.

Kings in 5
I'll keep picking against Anaheim, who I look at as a paper tiger. The Kings kill you on depth and defence, and their 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines are killer in the playoffs. Quick is back.

Beans15 Posted - 05/01/2014 : 15:39:23

Book it.

Leafs81 Posted - 05/01/2014 : 15:03:58
Boston in 7 over Montreal - Allways a big battle, home ice advantage is how I decide who wins.

Pittsburgh in 6 over NYR - Too much skills with Pittsburgh.

Chicago in 5 over Minnesota - Chicago are still defending their Stanley Cup, everybody is healthy.

Los Angeles in 5 over Anaheim - LA are on a roll... and Quick.

Well I was 7 out of 8 in the first round. Then only team that I predicted wrong (San Jose) are the ones I had for the Stanley Cup. Anyway, it's funny my final four are the same four that were there last year.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page