Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canucks hire Jim Benning as GM

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 05/23/2014 : 16:27:08
Did the Vancouver Canucks hire the right man for the General Manager job?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 05/28/2014 : 12:13:57
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Let me unnecessarily rephrase the question...

"Based on the information available to you today, do you think the Vancouver Canucks hired the right man for the General Manager job?"

Right now, all you need to be the right person for the job is to not be named Mike Gillis. So, yes, Jim Benning is the right man!

All kidding aside, I was not trying to be trite with my request. Unlike other GM candidates who have been GM's before in the NHL, there is no body of work to measure him by yet. I would at least like to see a signing, or a trade, or see how he does at the draft, to get a sense of his vision before I render any decision. But at this stage he has all the right pedigree and experience to be the right person, so I voted yes.
leigh Posted - 05/27/2014 : 11:30:08
Let me unnecessarily rephrase the question...

"Based on the information available to you today, do you think the Vancouver Canucks hired the right man for the General Manager job?"
leigh Posted - 05/27/2014 : 11:28:51
Agreed Alex, polls are to be clear in their options. "Too soon to tell" is in fact a cop out. And what is the point if we already knew the outcome? We are poolies, we have to make player selections for our hockey pools before we know the outcome all the time. We make selections for players based on past performances, current conditions, prognostication, common sense and a little BS. You may notice that we rarely select polls for our home page that are wishy-washy (unless they are obviously in jest) There is a reason for that!

Alex116 Posted - 05/26/2014 : 23:11:05
C'mon guys, "too soon to tell" is the pretty easy/obvious choice as no one really knows how it's gonna work out. Slozo, just vote, it's all about "fun", remember?

Even if Benning doesn't work out, it's not to say he's not "the right hire". Think about it. Weigh the options. Ask yourself, is a guy who's never been a GM before, but been a second in command on a very successful team, the right guy? Should they have gotten someone even more experienced? Does his relationship with Linden come into play and make an impact on the hiring? Etc, etc....

If too soon to tell was an option and it didn't get EVERY vote, then whoever didn't vote it is a moron! Maybe the question should have simply been more along the lines of "do you agree with the hiring of Benning?" or "Is Benning a good hire"? But to be critical of no "too soon to tell" option is nitpicking imo.
n/a Posted - 05/26/2014 : 08:30:00
I would certainly have voted "too soon to tell" or "I don't know yet".
But at the very least, it's a good hire in terms of . . . it's someone who deserves a good chance at being a GM, and it's an up-and-comer who has a good background for it.

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
nuxfan Posted - 05/23/2014 : 22:35:59
admin, it would be good to have a 3rd option, "too soon to tell". Other than accept the job and give a speech, he has done absolutely nothing for the team yet to measure him by.

It is too soon to tell. Not many people here know much about Benning, other than he helped build the current BOS team and he is known to be a shrewd assessor of talent. Both of these are things the Canucks should covet in a new GM.

On the minus side, he has never been a GM in the league, and VAN is a big hockey market that is used to success - he will be scrutinized and questioned for every move that he makes. He is reputed to be a well grounded man, calm under pressure, measured - so perhaps he'll be able to weather the storm.

The coach that he hires (soon) should give some insight into what type of team he wants to build here, and the draft is only a month away, so he'll have a chance to put his mark on the team early. I look forward to seeing what he does.
Alex116 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 22:12:11
The "right man" is a tough definition, but personally I like the hire. He's been around long enough, starting as a scout and progressing through to most recently, Chiarelli's right hand man in Boston. It's time for him to have a GM position and I think he's ready for it. It's been said that Trevor Linden had everything to do with this and that he may not have come here, and possibly wouldn't have been pursued the way he was, if not for Linden.

It will be interesting to watch and see what he does over the summer, what he decides is Kesler's future and of course, who the Canucks pick with their earliest pick in years (6th).

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page