Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Best Hockey town in America?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4943 Posted - 02/26/2007 : 19:33:25
I'd say Minnisota because it's cold there and they got alot of sell outs
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/17/2011 : 05:09:01
To make a comment on the sidebar of knowing Gretzky . . . I think the best way to determine if an American city is a hockey town or not is asking someone who says they are a hockey fan who Mario Lemieux played for.

If they are a real hockey fan, obviously they know . . . and in Canada, I'd wager 19 out of 20 hockey fans know this. In the states, my guess is very few know this . . . like people said, there are pockets.

My vote goes to Boston. Boston doesn't get enough respect I feel as an american hockey city, but they have in general given quite a bit of media play to a team that for the most part has played second fiddle to the Celtics. It's sort of like the Blue Jays for Toronto - when they've had a good team, the city really does come out in full force, and the sports pages has them #1 . . . and when they aren't competing, they still have a decent core of support.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4988 Posted - 01/15/2011 : 12:55:44
Chicago !!! Home of the reigning Stanley Cup Champs !!!!
Guest0043 Posted - 01/15/2011 : 06:02:34
TORONTO !!!!!!!!!!

They have all the requirements:
- US General Manager
- "Canadian-born, but-says-he's-American" coach
- fans that don't know whether to cheer or boo the team at any given moment of the game
- US Manager & US Coach are trying to build a team full of hard-nosed CANADIANS
- city that is hated by most Canadians, just like any other US city
- more TV visibility than the real Canadain Teams...., just like all other US teams
- management driven by bottom line - not winning the CUP
Guest4840 Posted - 01/14/2011 : 20:01:58
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Yeah, the "do you even know who Gretzky is" question is one measure I guess. Another might be this - is there a high school in Nashville or Raleigh where, even during classtime sometimes, you can find some kids frantically studying the hockey stats and making their lists for their upcoming hockey pools?

Maybe we actually care to pay attention in school.

televise every game from world juniors
Yes there are undoubtedly some people here who don't know who Gretzky is. So what? In places like Florida what would you expect? But believe me, I LIVE here, and just about everyone I've ever talked to knows who Gretzky is. They're not hockey fans, but I talk hockey with them, and they know who Gretz is.

Yeah fly4apuckguy I know you're not happy cuz we have all the teams yet you have better fans. I understand, I wouldn't like it either if I were in your position. But remember what I said earlier--teams aren't supported by the best fans, rather by the number of them. Until the population of Canada triples, forget about having any more teams. (And FYI, no one watches pro wrestling. Hockey is more popular than that. And you can't speak for the whole country when you say the other sports are more popular. Go to Minnesota and that area some time and you'll see what I mean.)

Okay, okay. I don't want to get into a border war. I know there are pockets of great fans in the USA, and the pro wrestling thing was kind of a joke, but the point is that hockey in the USA is, at best, a regional sport in terms of popularity. And yes, you are probably a hockey guy in a hockey place, but man, you can't tell me that they give a crap about hockey in Nashville outside of the fans that come to the games (of which even those are few and far between).

Whereas in Canada, the region it is popular in is "Canada". People actually take days off from work to watch the World Juniors, which are not televised in the USA, to my knowledge.

BTW, our school system is second only to Sweden's. World ranking. Just had to get that in there.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz

Guest4840 Posted - 01/14/2011 : 19:44:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

I'd say Minnisota because it's cold there and they got alot of sell outs

You are 100% correct, my friend...aside from the fact that Minnesota's not a town Minneapolis is the best American hockey town, Minnesota is by far the best hockey state. On the Wild website they call it the "State of Hockey". It's cold, ice rinks are popular, and everyone there plays and loves the game; I know a few people at my school from MN...they played hockey back home. The University of Minnesota is always #1 in the Big Ten when it comes to NCAA hockey. And guess where I'm going to college

hahahahahahhahaha i laughed so hard when you said always finish #1 in the big 10.... its hockey there conference is the wcha with very little of the same teams that are ib the big ten. hahahhahahahahahhaha
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/13/2007 : 22:20:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hithere311

O come on, everyone knows the Great One. I went to Japan for 2 weeks and when I said I was Canadian, they mentioned Wayne Gretzky.

My relatives in England had never heard of him when I was talking about him during a visit to Canada about five summers ago. I gave them a hockey card and they were like, "Uh, thanks. What's a Gretzky?" They are all about the soccer.

As for him not being recognized in the USA, I'd bet my truck (mind you, it's a piece of crap) that I could find thousands of people in many US NHL cities down there who have never heard of him. Between basketball, football, NASCAR, American Idol and professional wrestling, many don't care about hockey or anything related to it.

american idol and pro wrestling...those people need a hobby haha...possibly hockey?

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Eagle_Strikes Posted - 05/12/2007 : 21:45:42
Well think detroit is one of the best US hockey citys, but then i think any of the original six should be counted as the best, the have supported there teams the whole time. But Minnesota, lost the North Stars, went to dallas. And Everybody was ripping on hockey in florida, and look the lightning won the Cup, which i got to spend the day with, best friend is the team Dr., and that was one of the Greatest Days of my life. But then why would Florida be a great hockey state and the Canadians, and northerns are down here all winter. But even being down here since the lightning started, i still have the redwings in my blood.

*speed kills* - go wings

Eagle
Mikhailova Posted - 05/12/2007 : 06:36:04
quote:

Mik - I wasn't trying to put down Americans with my Nashville bashing (I am half-American actually as my Mom is from NYC). I WAS trying to put down the guys who made a decision to put a team in a place like Nashville.

Oh I know, don't worry about it. I agree with you on putting down the guys who put a team in Nashville, there definitely shouldn't be one there.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/11/2007 : 20:16:20
quote:

quote:

And yes, you are probably a hockey guy in a hockey place, but man, you can't tell me that they give a crap about hockey in Nashville outside of the fans that come to the games (of which even those are few and far between).

Actually I'm not a hockey guy, and Maryland isn't really a hockey place. And I'm not disputing which country is the better hockey nation, Canada takes the cake hands down. I'm just saying that, although places like Nashville and Florida are terrible hockey towns/states, we aren't as bad, in general, compared to a lot of places out there.

And we used to be the #1 school system in the world. Then morons introduced strange educational fads into the school system and we dropped (long story). But the majority of the top 20 international universities are still in the US.

But whatever, this is getting pointless and is off topic. We definitely need to boost the popularity of hockey here and ditch teams in towns like Atlanta, and move them to economically capable, hockey fan filled towns (as long as they're not in Europe, I completely agree with you on that one). And after today's European History AP exam, I've had enough of hearing about border disputes. Truce?

Truce? For sure. And sorry about the "guy" thing. I made an asumption based on your knowledge of the game. I'm both impressed and humbled.

andyhack Posted - 05/11/2007 : 19:47:41
Mik - I wasn't trying to put down Americans with my Nashville bashing (I am half-American actually as my Mom is from NYC). I WAS trying to put down the guys who made a decision to put a team in a place like Nashville. The school reference was just a memory from my school days when some of us used to take our interest in hockey a little too far (DON'T DO THIS KIDS!).

Here's a funny story though. A friend of mine, not an academic type, and a HUGE Habs fan, once had absolutely no idea how to answer a question on a history test. So what did he do, you ask? Well, he had an hour and he had these blank answer sheets in front of him, so like any big Habs fan in the late 1970s, he wrote a detailed biography on the life and times of Guy Lafleur.

That's a true story. Wouldn't happen in a school in Nashville.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/11/2007 : 18:28:34
quote:

And yes, you are probably a hockey guy in a hockey place, but man, you can't tell me that they give a crap about hockey in Nashville outside of the fans that come to the games (of which even those are few and far between).

Actually I'm not a hockey guy, and Maryland isn't really a hockey place. And I'm not disputing which country is the better hockey nation, Canada takes the cake hands down. I'm just saying that, although places like Nashville and Florida are terrible hockey towns/states, we aren't as bad, in general, compared to a lot of places out there.

And we used to be the #1 school system in the world. Then morons introduced strange educational fads into the school system and we dropped (long story). But the majority of the top 20 international universities are still in the US.

But whatever, this is getting pointless and is off topic. We definitely need to boost the popularity of hockey here and ditch teams in towns like Atlanta, and move them to economically capable, hockey fan filled towns (as long as they're not in Europe, I completely agree with you on that one). And after today's European History AP exam, I've had enough of hearing about border disputes. Truce?
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/11/2007 : 15:56:58
quote:

quote:

Yeah, the "do you even know who Gretzky is" question is one measure I guess. Another might be this - is there a high school in Nashville or Raleigh where, even during classtime sometimes, you can find some kids frantically studying the hockey stats and making their lists for their upcoming hockey pools?

Yes there are undoubtedly some people here who don't know who Gretzky is. So what? In places like Florida what would you expect? But believe me, I LIVE here, and just about everyone I've ever talked to knows who Gretzky is. They're not hockey fans, but I talk hockey with them, and they know who Gretz is.

Yeah fly4apuckguy I know you're not happy cuz we have all the teams yet you have better fans. I understand, I wouldn't like it either if I were in your position. But remember what I said earlier--teams aren't supported by the best fans, rather by the number of them. Until the population of Canada triples, forget about having any more teams. (And FYI, no one watches pro wrestling. Hockey is more popular than that. And you can't speak for the whole country when you say the other sports are more popular. Go to Minnesota and that area some time and you'll see what I mean.)

Okay, okay. I don't want to get into a border war. I know there are pockets of great fans in the USA, and the pro wrestling thing was kind of a joke, but the point is that hockey in the USA is, at best, a regional sport in terms of popularity. And yes, you are probably a hockey guy in a hockey place, but man, you can't tell me that they give a crap about hockey in Nashville outside of the fans that come to the games (of which even those are few and far between).

Whereas in Canada, the region it is popular in is "Canada". People actually take days off from work to watch the World Juniors, which are not televised in the USA, to my knowledge.

BTW, our school system is second only to Sweden's. World ranking. Just had to get that in there.

Mikhailova Posted - 05/11/2007 : 15:17:55
quote:

fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/11/2007 : 13:53:28
quote:
Originally posted by hithere311

O come on, everyone knows the Great One. I went to Japan for 2 weeks and when I said I was Canadian, they mentioned Wayne Gretzky.

My relatives in England had never heard of him when I was talking about him during a visit to Canada about five summers ago. I gave them a hockey card and they were like, "Uh, thanks. What's a Gretzky?" They are all about the soccer.

As for him not being recognized in the USA, I'd bet my truck (mind you, it's a piece of crap) that I could find thousands of people in many US NHL cities down there who have never heard of him. Between basketball, football, NASCAR, American Idol and professional wrestling, many don't care about hockey or anything related to it.

GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/11/2007 : 10:44:20
quote:

quote:

When you think about it we're not that bad of a hockey nation; in Australia for example some people don't even know who Wayne Gretzky is.

I'd venture a guess and say there are people in Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville, and Florida that don't have a clue who Wayne Gretzky is, either.

As for saying people suck, I don't mean in general. Don't take me so literally. I'm just jealous because I bleed hockey pucks and live 10 hours from an NHL city in Canada. Then you have guys who live across the street from NHL arenas that couldn't tell you the difference between Zdeno Chara and Martin St. Louis.

Something about that ain't right. And don't kid yourself, it's not just about cash a certain team has, it's about TV revenue and selling advertising to segments of the population that the NHL sees as "untapped" (and in my opinion, will forever remain "untapped").

maybe some girls wouldn't know but if your a guy in the us....and you havent heard of wayne gretzky...you were severely underpriveliged as a child

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
hithere311 Posted - 05/11/2007 : 10:22:05
andyhack Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:45:00

My guess is that you would find a few in Winnipeg or Quebec City high schools.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/10/2007 : 18:52:27
quote:

When you think about it we're not that bad of a hockey nation; in Australia for example some people don't even know who Wayne Gretzky is.

I'd venture a guess and say there are people in Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville, and Florida that don't have a clue who Wayne Gretzky is, either.

As for saying people suck, I don't mean in general. Don't take me so literally. I'm just jealous because I bleed hockey pucks and live 10 hours from an NHL city in Canada. Then you have guys who live across the street from NHL arenas that couldn't tell you the difference between Zdeno Chara and Martin St. Louis.

Something about that ain't right. And don't kid yourself, it's not just about cash a certain team has, it's about TV revenue and selling advertising to segments of the population that the NHL sees as "untapped" (and in my opinion, will forever remain "untapped").

Mikhailova Posted - 05/10/2007 : 16:12:38
Lol andyhack, you have a point. I've always hated how California, a non-hockey sunny state, has THREE teams. I know it's because of the money and all that, but it's CALIFORNIA! C'mon there's enough population to support more teams in some of those northern states where hockey's more popular or to add one to Wisconsin. I've always thought Wisconsin should get one--they're big hockey fans up there. And Phoenix is the one I really don't get. It's the DESERT...how many people actually live there anyway? I never would've guessed enough to sustain an NHL franchise. I bet the only reason half the people go to games is to get away from the heat and plunge into some nice, frosty 22-degree air.
andyhack Posted - 05/10/2007 : 11:58:16
Clearly Nashville! I mean, I would have loved to have been at the meeting where that was decided! Did it go like this, I wonder?

A: We need to find a good target market for our great product.

B: Well, Nashville has a rich musical tradition, and if we put more music into the game, we will perhaps broaden our market.

A: Excellent idea. Done. Next topic - do we need more than three teams in California and one team in Arizona?

Mikhailova Posted - 05/10/2007 : 11:46:39
Al Gore is a blowhard. The warming is natural, not purely man-made.

Anyway, you're right manninm: hockey is one of the big four sports here. Baseball, football, basketball, and hockey are the big ones. When you think about it we're not that bad of a hockey nation; in Australia for example some people don't even know who Wayne Gretzky is.
hithere311 Posted - 05/10/2007 : 07:11:16
Also off topic, the global warming ice age thats about to come according to Al Gore will make the american climate colder so hockey will become a huge sport in the US, maybe even bigger than baseball.
manninm Posted - 05/10/2007 : 06:34:59
quote:

quote:

If the hockey highlights come after the Nascar and women's college hoops highlights, you suck and should not have a team. Send the hockey players to Winnipeg, and go watch Jeff Gordon crash into a wall or something.

Just because people would rather watch basketball or whatever doesn't mean they suck. Now I'd watch hockey over any spot any day, but is it really that big of a deal which sport leads the headlines? If it's not hockey it doesn't mean the people are cheapheads. It just means they like different sports. And the reason these non-hockey towns have a team is because we have more people and a stronger dollar. A lot of Canadian towns have small populations and can't even afford a team. Don't bother complaining about who has a team and who doesn't until your dollar and population equal ours or get closer to it. Then there'd be legitimate reason to move some teams to Canada.

Ya...if it were just about putting butts in the seats, there would be 60 NHL teams, 45 of which would be in Canada. The economics of the game prevent such from happening. And I'm not sold that the "expanding the game" mentality the NHL has adopted over the past 15 years isn't a good thing. Tampa Bay has a pretty strong passion for hockey. Same with Dallas. Maybe we'll be saying the same thing about Carolina in 10 years. Maybe instead of parents enrolling their kids in youth basketball programs, they're instead bringing them to the local rink to learn hockey. Who knows.

Furthermore, I think that despite the NHL taking giant steps back due to the lockout, hockey still exists as a "big four" sport in North America. That's because as much as NASCAR has grown in the past decade, it is still a regional sport much like hockey. It's followed nationally, but only passionately in the south.

Anyway, kinda off topic, but food for thought nonetheless.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
willus3 Posted - 05/09/2007 : 20:20:59
Not so long ago Chicago was the loudest building in hockey. Sadly, team owners and management have been really, really hard on the fans the last few years. Any one of the four cities from the original six teams fits the bill though.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/09/2007 : 19:57:33
"yeah...they've been around for quite awhile"

stastnysforever Posted - 05/09/2007 : 17:09:44
Colorado's definitly the best team in U.S
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/08/2007 : 19:45:58
I'm with ED11...the best hockeytown...is THE Hockeytown...DETROIT BABAYYYY

Mikhailova Posted - 05/08/2007 : 13:16:45
quote:

If the hockey highlights come after the Nascar and women's college hoops highlights, you suck and should not have a team. Send the hockey players to Winnipeg, and go watch Jeff Gordon crash into a wall or something.

Just because people would rather watch basketball or whatever doesn't mean they suck. Now I'd watch hockey over any spot any day, but is it really that big of a deal which sport leads the headlines? If it's not hockey it doesn't mean the people are cheapheads. It just means they like different sports. And the reason these non-hockey towns have a team is because we have more people and a stronger dollar. A lot of Canadian towns have small populations and can't even afford a team. Don't bother complaining about who has a team and who doesn't until your dollar and population equal ours or get closer to it. Then there'd be legitimate reason to move some teams to Canada.
hithere311 Posted - 05/08/2007 : 13:09:31
Being so close to the border, Buffalo is practicaly Canadian.
manninm Posted - 05/08/2007 : 11:32:32
quote:

I'd ask all of you Americans this...how often does a hockey story lead your sports highlights?

If that happens in your city, you have a great hockey town. If not, then you are in a city with hockey, but not a hockey town.

In Buffalo there's been a lead picture on the first page OF THE PAPER the entire playoffs...and some regular season games. With the great play of the team, and the fact that the Bills stink, Buffalo has officially become a hockey town.

Oh, and for those saying Detroit is the best, an FYI - Saturday's Game 5 had a 30 share according to the Neilsen ratings. Compare that to Buffalo's 60 share for Sunday's game 6. (A lowly 1.5 for NYR) Booyah!

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/08/2007 : 07:53:18
I'd ask all of you Americans this...how often does a hockey story lead your sports highlights?

If that happens in your city, you have a great hockey town. If not, then you are in a city with hockey, but not a hockey town.

sjtrufan Posted - 04/17/2007 : 14:44:08
There is nothing like a game at "The Tank". I didn't make to a game this season but I went to a few last season. I'm not sure exactly how loud it gets in there but I'm sure it can damage your hearing
bablaboushka Posted - 04/17/2007 : 14:39:55
I also just thought I should mention this: Most people will say about their team's home rink that they are one of the loudest in the league. Actually, most commentators say that SJ is and there's a good reason for it. The roof of the rink is made out of metal (as opposed to what, I'm not sure) so all the noise bounces off of it and comes right back at you. When the Sharks score a goal, the noise is just unbelievable. Some time in the next few years I will be making a trip down there and I can't wait to watch a Sharks game in there, it will be crazy.
sjtrufan Posted - 04/17/2007 : 14:32:18
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

The city of San Jose is not a hockey one, but the HP Pavillion is one of the loudest rinks in the league.

Not to mention they had more than a 97% attendance record during the season. That's almost a sellout every night this season
Mikhailova Posted - 04/08/2007 : 15:06:31
Yeah I know MN isn't a town, I was just referring to it as the best hockey place in the States. And it's not only the number of players that makes Minnesota great, their fans are amazing too. Very supportive of their team. (Plus, more players coming out of an area means hockey is quite popular there, which is a necessity in order for there to be a large fanbase)
hithere311 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 14:43:42
Minnesota isn't a town. Just say Minneapolis or St. Paul. I think best hockey town is defined by the fans, not the players coming from the area. But even with that in consideration, the state of Minnesota is definetly where hockey's at in the states.
Mikhailova Posted - 04/08/2007 : 14:04:47
This was interesting from the Philly game today...Scottie Upshall was interviewed and seemed to think Philadelphia was the best American hockey town. He said the fans were really passionate about the game, and described it as "being like a Canadian city". True, I didn't know that the fans were so dedicated, especially with a dead-last team, but I wouldn't call Philly the BEST American hockey town. You can't beat Minnesota when it comes to this sport in the US. How many NHLers have come from Philadelphia? None come to mind. But if you look through the team rosters you'll see that many of the US players come from Minnesota and that area.
semin-rules Posted - 04/05/2007 : 14:19:23
Hockey Town...Florida, becuase of the beaches and warmth

But best hockey town because of the hockey... then Minnesota.

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
manninm Posted - 04/05/2007 : 07:19:43
I'm surprised Buffalo gets relatively no love on this topic. Granted, Minnesota and Detroit deserve their credit, but Buffalo fans are as loyal as they come. Plus, for years now Buffalo has gone unnoticed as a hockey hotbed. If we could streamline our youth hockey system, we'd be competing with Minnkota, Michigan, and New England every year.
Mikhailova Posted - 04/04/2007 : 21:39:41
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Gotta be Minnesota. they've got a great fan base there. Of course having the north stars there before helps.

They were hockey nuts even before the North Stars. Minnesota rules.

quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

I have to say MINNESOTA they love there hockey down there

Down there, lol. For me it's "up there". Minnesota = coldest spot in the nation. For Canadians it's practically Florida, eh? Hahaha...just joking.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page