Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ho-Sang and 66

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
just1n Posted - 03/07/2017 : 13:30:43
Is it wrong that the Islanders Josh Ho-Sang wears #66? The supposed backlash he's received for wearing it is ridiculous I think. If the number isn't retired, why not go for it? Not enough to report on, I guess.

Do y'all share my opinion or no?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 03/16/2017 : 17:50:53
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I agree wholeheartedly that Mario is one of the greatest ever to lace up skates and perhaps 66 should be considered for league retirement....but ...

No other player, ever, has done as much to raise the profile, popularity and draw a new extended network of fans of the game as 99. He, on his name and reputation alone, sold the game to areas of North America that paid it very little attention previously, hence I am fine with his number being the only one currently being retired league wide. If that honor was awarded to impact players in the NHL, then numbers 4 and 9 should have been retired league wide years ago.

Just my thoughts, and Ho-Sang better, as Leigh pointed out, be able to back up at least some of it up, else he may have a few 4th liners making him regret that decision.

WTF??? A Fat Elvis sighting??? WOO HOO!!!

I'm with ya here buddy and feel that if 66 is retired league wide, there are others that would need to be as well! I have no prob with it being 99 and 99 only for the same reasons you stated.

BTW, hope all is well with you!

I was thinking the same thing Alex!!! haha! Good to hear from you Fat Elvis!
umteman Posted - 03/09/2017 : 16:03:36
I saw enough of him to have seen too many soft goals surrendered. Some on shots I'd swear I could have stopped.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/09/2017 : 14:44:46
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

Hextall? I never considered him a potential hall of famer. I remember too many soft goals given up.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

As a Penguins fan I would have assumed you would have seen enough of him, to respect him enough for the Hall. But then again I only seen him enough during the playoffs and remember the epic playoff series against the Oilers in the Stanley Cup final, wherein he was the MVP for Philly. Might not have Hasek like stats, but a Hall of Famer in my book.
n/a Posted - 03/09/2017 : 14:32:44
It's a number . . . nothing more, nothing less. And it's perfectly legal to wear, so I have no issue with it.

Question for me is, is it SMART to wear it, especially after the backlash he's received from people stuck in a different era? Probably not, but hey - it's his right, his choice, so I say it's all good.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Alex116 Posted - 03/09/2017 : 14:27:14
I think a big part of what FER mentioned about Gretzky when he said "No other player, ever, has done as much to raise the profile, popularity and draw a new extended network of fans of the game as 99." is his impact on the USA after his trade south. This hasn't really been touched on here and I think it's HUGE.
umteman Posted - 03/09/2017 : 12:21:26
Hextall? I never considered him a potential hall of famer. I remember too many soft goals given up.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/09/2017 : 12:13:09
quote:

The offensive explosion of the 1980s was a perfect storm of talent. The two greatest offensive forwards in league history playing at the same time as well as Jagr, Messier, Bossy, and the emergence of puck moving Dmen like Paul Coffey the likes of which previously (Bobby Orr) had been something of an anomaly. Add to that the 1980s produced only (as far as I can recall) two HHOF goalies in Fuhr and Billy Smith as well as smaller goalie gear.

I assumed Hextall, Ranford and Barrasso would be in the HOF, but I guess not. It looks like Ed Belfour did though, same with Patrick Roy. Tony Esposito played in the 80's.
umteman Posted - 03/09/2017 : 11:18:24
The offensive explosion of the 1980s was a perfect storm of talent. The two greatest offensive forwards in league history playing at the same time as well as Jagr, Messier, Bossy, and the emergence of puck moving Dmen like Paul Coffey the likes of which previously (Bobby Orr) had been something of an anomaly. Add to that the 1980s produced only (as far as I can recall) two HHOF goalies in Fuhr and Billy Smith as well as smaller goalie gear.

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/09/2017 : 10:52:35
The increased offensive explosion accounted for the surge of popularity of the game? Sure, I can see that being a huge factor, but if you are talking NHL offensive explosion, is that not Gretzky by definition?

His debut season he tied for the league scoring lead, and that was his lowest point totals for the next 11 years! I might argue he and the Oilers of those years were the catalyst behind the increased offensive output, as teams changed their thinking based on Gretzky and the Oilers,

Again, I think if you are going to bestow an honor such as a league wide number retirement, and Gretzky is the standard, in my humble opinion, there is no one that historically has the credentials and proven impact, both on and off the ice to be given said honor, except the Great One.

umteman Posted - 03/09/2017 : 05:07:00
You might be giving Gretsky more credit than he deserves for bringing hockey to the attention of the masses. Granted he was the premier played of the 1980s but the increased popularity of hockey during that decade probably had as much to do with the exciting offensive brand of hockey played in that decade as to do with the play of Gretsky alone.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhls-explosive-80s/

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/08/2017 : 20:07:22
quote:

Personally I say #99, #66, and #9 would be eligible for retirement (of course #99 already is).

I am just fine Alex, thanks for asking my friend!

As to Umteman's point about being okay with 9 and 66 as well, why just them and not number 4(Orr), definitely should then be considered, or 11(Messier) captaining 2 different teams to Stanley Cups, or 68(Jagr), the best European to play in the NHL., and so on and so on....

That's my whole reasoning for why I am okay with just 99. As stellar as the above mentioned and many others were/are, none have had nearly the impact on the growth of the game in North America as Gretzky. Not an honor to be given out without careful, careful consideration if the standard is set that high?
umteman Posted - 03/08/2017 : 16:25:01
Personally I say #99, #66, and #9 would be eligible for retirement (of course #99 already is).

Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2017 : 16:22:28
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I agree wholeheartedly that Mario is one of the greatest ever to lace up skates and perhaps 66 should be considered for league retirement....but ...

No other player, ever, has done as much to raise the profile, popularity and draw a new extended network of fans of the game as 99. He, on his name and reputation alone, sold the game to areas of North America that paid it very little attention previously, hence I am fine with his number being the only one currently being retired league wide. If that honor was awarded to impact players in the NHL, then numbers 4 and 9 should have been retired league wide years ago.

Just my thoughts, and Ho-Sang better, as Leigh pointed out, be able to back up at least some of it up, else he may have a few 4th liners making him regret that decision.

WTF??? A Fat Elvis sighting??? WOO HOO!!!

I'm with ya here buddy and feel that if 66 is retired league wide, there are others that would need to be as well! I have no prob with it being 99 and 99 only for the same reasons you stated.

BTW, hope all is well with you!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/08/2017 : 15:32:50

umteman Posted - 03/08/2017 : 13:06:05
The penguins have retired #66 but the league hasn't so for any player on another roster the number is available. So next debate; should the league retire #66? Leigh says not, but both I and JOSHUACANADA say yes.

leigh Posted - 03/08/2017 : 12:32:26
I used to feel that 66 was sacred, but after the years have passed by, I don't feel the same way anymore. Perhaps if Mario played a full career and his overall numbers were up there with Gretzky's I would think 66 should be retired...but he didn't, and they aren't. He was, in my books, the second best player I've ever witnessed. He was magical with the puck and we weren't used to seeing such a big guy have so much finesse. Just awesome!

I understand why Ho-Sang wants to wear it. Who wouldn't want to wear the numbers of the greatest players. But everyone knows that if you're going to wear a number of an iconic player, you had better be ready to live up to it, especially at the NHL level. As good a player as he is, or might be, I'm not sure if young Josh is cut from the same cloth as the Magnificent One. So a little backlash might be in order. But at the end of the day it's just hockey. Having said that, if Mario's number is up for grabs, then no number is untouchable. Except of course, 99 - as it should be.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/08/2017 : 10:34:18
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I don't have a problem with it. It's available and not retired, have at'er! Any idea why he wears it? Did he grow up idolizing Mario?

Maybe my angst is in the fact I believe the number should be retired, so that players don't have an option to pick it up. Imagine if 99 hadn't been retired and that's the number he chose. I grew up idolizing both Gretzky / Lemieux and would often create a player on a video game using there numbers. I see people wearing there jerseys all the time in rec leagues and other leagues, but this is the best league of hockey period and these 2 are arguably the 2 numbers from the top 2 - 5 best players to ever play the game. These were unusual numbers at the time they wore them and to me I would rather not have a player wear it who has been considered vain with an attitude problem, got suspended in the year leading up to his draft for breaking another players leg and didn't even get one day at camp his draft year due to him being late.
just1n Posted - 03/08/2017 : 10:26:18
I agree, Alex. And yeah, something like that. He stated that it was meant as the biggest respect possible.
Alex116 Posted - 03/07/2017 : 14:59:05
I don't have a problem with it. It's available and not retired, have at'er! Any idea why he wears it? Did he grow up idolizing Mario?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/07/2017 : 13:43:03
I don't like it, but I have been told there have been good players before Lemieux and good players since Lemieux to wear the number. Someone told me Dupuis wore it recently.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page