Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 observations from Mike Bossy

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 03/13/2017 : 12:48:53
here is what "Mr. 50" says needs to be done.

http://hockeyinsider.com/2017/03/12/news/how-islanders-legend-mike-bossy-would-fix-the-nhl/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
umteman Posted - 04/15/2017 : 20:44:00
In fact the Toronto vs. Washington series is now tied at a game a piece with both decided in overtime!

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
umteman Posted - 04/15/2017 : 19:09:31
Well if space is the issue maybe the answer is as simple as increase the rink to 250' x 110'.

Seriously in recent years the rules have been altered to favor speed and agility, but rather than the expected fast pace excitement the result has been a game too fast for plays to develop and be created, but has instead come down to reaction time. And speaking of the play offs I hope you have been watching the leafs vs, caps series as surprisingly it has thus far been the most interesting of this years playoff series.

leigh Posted - 04/14/2017 : 12:28:50
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This is one of the key reasons that I am not nearly as engaged in hockey as I once was. Frankly speaking, hockey is super boring. Playoff hockey has the excitement level that makes it more appealing than the regular season but honestly that has been dropping in the recent past as well. There is far too many robotic type players in the league and far too many systematic coaches. There are too many deck painters and not enough Picassos. For every McDavid and Matthews there are 20 Grybas and Polaks.

The game has become so systematic there is almost no creativity left. It's not about scoring. It's about seeing something new and exciting. The only way to change that is to dramatically disrupt the norm. Change the game significantly and make players uncomfortable by them not knowing what to do in every single situation. Remove the blue lines. Change it to 4 on 4 with penalties going to 5 on 4. Take away icing. Take away all off sides. Introduce a player that can't go into the offensive zone or defensive zone similar to a libero in volleyball. Do something to toss the game on it's head and make it so every player doesn't know the right play in every situation. Bring personality back into the game. To Bossy's point, players are bigger stronger and faster than ever before yet the game is painfully boring. It's time to break the mold.

Beans, I'm for some change but frankly I don't think I want to create a new game where the only similarities are the ice, skates and a puck. I like a few ideas, for example I've thought that changing how the icing is managed would be one....

Instead of blowing the whistle on an icing call, don't allow the team charged with icing to cross center ice. This way the attacking team has time to set up and attack again and the game continues. A whistle slows the flow down and allows the defending team to gain clear possession on the face off (something they clearly didn't have when they cause the infraction) This has a similar affect as delayed offside in that the game is allowed to continue.

What happens to the clock while the other team is getting set in your icing scenerio. If it runs down then I think it would end up being a defensive tactic use somewhat like whats used on the PK to run the clock down. Hockey becomes more like soccer and / or football for that change

Good point, and that may be the fatal flaw. You could do a shot clock type of thing but I don't like how that adds layers of complexity. Perhaps the puck has to be passed forward and only two passes are allowed before you exit the zone. Ref's discretion on delays.

Beans, I hear ya. Other than playoffs because of the intensity and the high stakes, modern hockey is getting a little boring (for the reasons you mentioned) Maybe 4 on 4 is the solution? It just sounds so blasphemous.

Beans15 Posted - 04/12/2017 : 09:38:41
I think the game of hockey (and most other sports save maybe baseball and soccer) are ever changing. At one point in football the ball could not be passed forward. Basketball introduced a shot clock to encourage offense. Hockey at one time had a red line and 2 line passes were not allowed. The game is always changing. I think if someone from the 40's watched the game today they would think it was a totally different sport. But, to each their own.

I think the biggest issue with the game today is the lack of space on the ice. Players are bigger, faster, and cover more ice than ever before. Systems are also to blame. To point to the Bossy article, there is often 8-9 players within a few feet of the net. It's terribly boring. Whatever is takes to create more space on the ice is what I think would improve the game. Be it 4 on 4 the standard, removing the blue lines, making a floating blue line so that teams could gain the zone using the current blue line but then the opposition would have to get the puck past the red line to clear the zone. Making it so only 4 players from the defensive team can be in the defensive zone or a certain number defensive players are allowed below the hash marks (like three in the key in basketball), goalie can't play the puck behind the boards. There are tons of ideas out there. But the key is more space.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 04/11/2017 : 14:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

This is one of the key reasons that I am not nearly as engaged in hockey as I once was. Frankly speaking, hockey is super boring. Playoff hockey has the excitement level that makes it more appealing than the regular season but honestly that has been dropping in the recent past as well. There is far too many robotic type players in the league and far too many systematic coaches. There are too many deck painters and not enough Picassos. For every McDavid and Matthews there are 20 Grybas and Polaks.

The game has become so systematic there is almost no creativity left. It's not about scoring. It's about seeing something new and exciting. The only way to change that is to dramatically disrupt the norm. Change the game significantly and make players uncomfortable by them not knowing what to do in every single situation. Remove the blue lines. Change it to 4 on 4 with penalties going to 5 on 4. Take away icing. Take away all off sides. Introduce a player that can't go into the offensive zone or defensive zone similar to a libero in volleyball. Do something to toss the game on it's head and make it so every player doesn't know the right play in every situation. Bring personality back into the game. To Bossy's point, players are bigger stronger and faster than ever before yet the game is painfully boring. It's time to break the mold.

Beans, I'm for some change but frankly I don't think I want to create a new game where the only similarities are the ice, skates and a puck. I like a few ideas, for example I've thought that changing how the icing is managed would be one....

Instead of blowing the whistle on an icing call, don't allow the team charged with icing to cross center ice. This way the attacking team has time to set up and attack again and the game continues. A whistle slows the flow down and allows the defending team to gain clear possession on the face off (something they clearly didn't have when they cause the infraction) This has a similar affect as delayed offside in that the game is allowed to continue.

What happens to the clock while the other team is getting set in your icing scenerio. If it runs down then I think it would end up being a defensive tactic use somewhat like whats used on the PK to run the clock down. Hockey becomes more like soccer and / or football for that change
leigh Posted - 04/11/2017 : 13:29:56
quote:

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 04/11/2017 : 13:03:26
Do you remember during one of the lockouts where the League was challenged by a former player who proposed starting a WHA league of 4/4 hockey. I thought that might have been exciting hockey.
Beans15 Posted - 04/11/2017 : 12:56:00

leigh Posted - 03/16/2017 : 15:19:52
I agree with Bossy's sentiment in this interview. The game is incredibly fast and you don't get to see plays develop like you used to. And it's rare to see a couple minutes of domination by one side - that was one of the things that as a fan was so engaging about hockey in the 80's - whether it was your team or the opposition's, there was some sort of emotional stress in a large part of each game that you watched.

I'm not sure if I like his suggestion of putting a 'key' in front of the net, like in basketball. That seems like an extreme change and would eliminate those small battles in front of the net (the game inside the game) But then again he's scored 50 goals per season for 9 straight years in the NHL, I have not (although I once scored 5 goals in one beer league game - including the game winner baby! ) So when Bossy speaks, maybe we should listen?
leigh Posted - 03/16/2017 : 15:06:23
Here is the gist of the article...

You have to wonder whether all the folks employed by the NHL actually believe the propaganda they spout in repeating the “game has never been better” mantra, or whether they simply are dealing in self-preservation in a league that Sixth Avenue rules with an iron hand.

But you don’t have to wonder whether one of the greatest of the greatest players in NHL history believes that, because Mike Bossy certainly does not.

“The players are better than ever, don’t get me wrong — they’re in better shape, have better nutrition and have better equipment — but the game is so monotonous to have to watch,” Bossy told Slap Shots last week when visiting New York. “A lot of times, it’s just like a pinball game............
and it goes on.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page