Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Expansion Draft

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The_Gipper Posted - 06/14/2017 : 06:35:01
The deadline for all teams to submit their list of protected players is just around the corner. Let's see if we can get a good discussion going around this.
Who are some of the "bigger names" you think may be at risk to being exposed for the draft?
Who on your favorite team do you think could be at risk of not only being left exposed, but also being taken in the draft?

One of the more obvious players is Marc Andre-Fleury. It's been talked about more or less all year. Unless he's traded before the draft (and thusly protected by his new team), there is a pretty good chance he'll be the starting goalie for Las Vegas next year.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The_Gipper Posted - 06/20/2017 : 05:15:57
rumour has it that both MIN and NYI have offered up their 1st round pick in this years draft (plus other assets) in order for Vegas to steer clear of certain players. assuming that a 1st round pick in this years draft is included in ALL side deals they make with other teams (let's throw ANA in their as well), then they'll have a boat load of 1st rounders this year that they can either use to build their prospect pool, or offer them up as trade bait to build their NHL roster.

not a bad position to be in considering they haven't even played 1 flippin game yet!!

as far as Dumba.....if I'm Vegas, I'd tell MIN sorry but tough luck. we're taking him.
umteman Posted - 06/20/2017 : 05:14:25
BTW does anyone know the nickname of the Vegas expansion franchise?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Just came across it online. It is Golden knights. I had seen it before bit it slipped my mind and all I could think of was Black Knights but I knew that was really the U.S. Military academy in West Point NY.
The Duke Posted - 06/19/2017 : 18:22:37
Yes these deals are confusing , at least the structure of them . Lets stick with Dumba ....what kind of a deal would minny have to offer you to NOT take him ?? Minnys 1st round pick is what 26th ?? Would you take this pick instead of Dumba ?? Dam well sure i wouldnt as Vegas GM. If he does he isnt doin his job . So what have they offered ?? Dumba at his age is a steal . .....Same case with Josh Manson !!!! If i were Vegas GM id be ecstatic to get this young guy on my team , if he made a deal not to touch him ...... he dam well better have a return thats BETTER than Josh Manson , if not , he is doing his team an injustice .
I think Vegas could swing real , real good deals by picking players other teams desperately want and then trade them to those teams after . Can you imagine if Vegas chose Dumba , Methot , Vatanen / Manson and then flipped them all for draft picks and prospects !!! maybe taking a couple bad ( short term ) contracts back in return ?? My god they could build a top 3 NHL prospect pool in just one year .
Alex116 Posted - 06/19/2017 : 11:21:29
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

a lot of interesting names left unprotected, and some of them quite young. one of the bigger ones that stuck out to me was Matt Dumba in MIN. don't know a lot about their roster, but I'm assuming they have a pretty stacked D core if they left Dumba exposed. If I'm Vegas, I'm taking him no questions asked.

also been reading that Vegas can make side deals (trades) with teams in order to ensure they don't select certain players that were exposed. how would that work exactly? let's use MIN as an example. the way I see it, Vegas selects Dumba. then immediately after the draft they send/trade Dumba back to MIN for say a draft pick plus the roster player MIN would have preferred they'd have taken originally?

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I know Anaheim is rumoured to have this sort of deal in place for at least one, if not both of their dmen. They were on record as saying "no way J. Manson is not on our roster next year". He's now left unprotected. They've also left Vatanen unprotected? Perhaps there's a deal in place whereby Vegas doesn't take either and Anaheim ponies up? As for how they do these deals, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that Vegas simply agrees to not take said player and in return a deal of some sort is worked out. I don't think they take them and then officially trade them back, though I could be wrong?

As for who's available, there def are a number of quality NHLers available, and Dumba is certainly one of them. Minny may have deals in place to protect a guy like Dumba as well though? Scandella and Prosser are both decent guys as well so perhaps a deal has been made where Vegas takes one of them and agrees to leave Dumba in return for "future considerations". More likely, Minny floats them a draft pick in this years draft in return for those "future considerations". OR, Vegas picks Staal? However, Dumba is easily one of the best available guys and I think anyone would take him over Staal at this point in their careers.
The_Gipper Posted - 06/19/2017 : 07:22:15
a lot of interesting names left unprotected, and some of them quite young. one of the bigger ones that stuck out to me was Matt Dumba in MIN. don't know a lot about their roster, but I'm assuming they have a pretty stacked D core if they left Dumba exposed. If I'm Vegas, I'm taking him no questions asked.

also been reading that Vegas can make side deals (trades) with teams in order to ensure they don't select certain players that were exposed. how would that work exactly? let's use MIN as an example. the way I see it, Vegas selects Dumba. then immediately after the draft they send/trade Dumba back to MIN for say a draft pick plus the roster player MIN would have preferred they'd have taken originally?
umteman Posted - 06/17/2017 : 12:22:22
Hmm..wasn't aware of Kunitz's UFA status. In fact for some reason I was thinking that he had sign a new contract last year.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
n/a Posted - 06/16/2017 : 09:05:12
Fleury will be picked up for sure by Vegas, is my guess.

An Anaheim d-man MUST get traded at some point either today/tomorrow, OR, get picked up by Vegas with them having a side deal with Anaheim (could get complicated).

It also appears that Minnesota will lose Staal (unprotected), and he's likely to go to Vegas unless they they expose one of their D - so they are also likely to trade a D-man.

Hjarmalsson looks to move from Chicago perhaps.

Lots of teams out there looking to pick up D-men, Toronto is one of them, so I'm excitedly checking the trade ticker every few minutes!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
The_Gipper Posted - 06/15/2017 : 08:09:52
I read somewhere that Fleury only waived his NMC for the purpose of being exposed in the expansion draft. which means, for now, his only other possible playing destination next year (aside from PIT) is in Vegas. so assuming he's selected, his NMC follows him as well. so if a trade is going to be worked out after the draft, then it would have to fall under the terms of his NMC. Or Fleury would have to give the ok to be moved.

it'd be funny if they selected both Fleury and Cam Ward (assuming Carolina protects Scott Darling). then you know a deal would be in the works! no way they keep both of them on their roster next year.
Alex116 Posted - 06/15/2017 : 07:55:35
There will be some crazy stuff for sure. Hopefully Vegas is smart and can maximize profits (picks and prospects) on guys they work out deal with "not" to take.

Heard Anaheim may already have a deal in place with them whereby they won't lose a big name. It's been rumoured they've been trying to figure out how not to lose Vatanen or Silfverberg as they're in a bit of a predicament with a lot of valuable bodies. One "expert" predicted they'll send one of, a high pick (possibly their 1st), a high prospect/young player (possibly a guy like Montour) or a combo of a pick and prospect not in the league just yet? All I know is if I'm Vegas, I'm gonna get something really good from Anaheim because they have a lot to protect.

The Canucks don't have a lot to fear, though I do think there's a good chance they'll lose Sbisa. Doesn't sound like much but he actually looked a thousand times better last year than the year prior and with the loss of Tryamkin and the possibility of a trade of Tanev, he's a guy we could actually still use. Hopefully Hutton and Gudbranson come in healthy and play like they are expected to next year or it could get real ugly for our goalies!

Grubauer is a guy I think you will see in Vegas and it'll either be behind Fleury, or possibly as a starter in a goalie committee of sorts (if Fleury ends up elsewhere). There's a good chance a deal is already in place for Fleury and I'm talking via Vegas. I think if Pitt was trading him, they'd have found a partner already. I figure Vegas grabs him, then has some sort of deal in place to move him to another team. Just a hunch.
The_Gipper Posted - 06/15/2017 : 05:16:30
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

Fleury may have the company of Chris Kunitz. Sure he had some post season heroics and more Stanley Cup wins than any active player (4), but he will be 38 years old when the new season starts and is coming off a season in which he put up a total of 29 points. I don't expect the Penguins to protect him.

Kunitz won't be protected, but I highly doubt that he's at risk to be selected in the draft. he's a UFA on July 1. they won't waste a pick on someone who could simply walk away two weeks later.
umteman Posted - 06/14/2017 : 21:17:18
Fleury may have the company of Chris Kunitz. Sure he had some post season heroics and more Stanley Cup wins than any active player (4), but he will be 38 years old when the new season starts and is coming off a season in which he put up a total of 29 points. I don't expect the Penguins to protect him.

The Duke Posted - 06/14/2017 : 18:43:27
This expansion draft is going to get very interesting . Lets say the leafs want Methot ( i think he is an excellent defenseman ) ....all they have to do ( if he is exposed ) is work out a deal with Vegas !!!! its that simple . The Knights grab him and then off to Toronto for a prospect . Lotta freaky s*** goin to be happening this week . You can bet on it .
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/14/2017 : 15:25:47
If Fleury is exposed, then does a team who needs a goalie like Calgary negotiate with Pittsburgh in advance of the draft or with Vegas after the draft? Which is the cheaper route to go?

For my team it looks like Methot will be exposed, possibly Ryan, definitely Condon who they have had troubles resigning, as Anderson is guaranteed protection. Raanta NYR, Nilsson Buffalo are some of the other notables I have been hearing in the same vein.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page