Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Poll - What place are you in your hockey pool?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 01/15/2007 : 08:56:08
What place are you in your hockey pool? If you leading your pool, what is your key to success?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 22:06:50
Not to take anything away from anyone winning their pool, but i'd be willing to bet there are very few out there who have players from the Kings who were picked in the early rounds! As an 8 seed up against the President's trophy winner, the odds were against them. Even those who picked them for the upset likely didn't see them getting past Nash, Pho, StL, Det, etc to get this far! I'm guessing those who took a flyer on Kopitar, Brown, etc in the 7th - 10th rounds of their drafts are reaping the benefits now. Most likely had their early pics going the way everyone else did, Pens, Blues, Preds, etc! Regardless, luck always comes into play so congrats to those winners!
Guest4804 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 22:02:06
I'm in 1st in both pools I entered this year. Question: How many entries were there in the Pickuphockey.com's playoff fantasy pool?
Guest9184 Posted - 04/07/2012 : 21:47:12
My key to success was hopping in my time machine and traveling to the future to ask my future self, while he types this up, which players will have the most points by the end of he season. (Just met my past self and gave him the cheat-sheet now!)
Guest4377 Posted - 04/07/2012 : 21:27:53
Duke - that's called a fluke. On the basis of what you've described, the guy you've described (who picks the next available forward who has the most points from last season) would not have picked Malkin to name just one player.

And what are you doing in a hockey pool with a guy who doesn't even watch or follow hockey? I would clean up with guys like this!
The Duke Posted - 04/07/2012 : 21:07:18
I`m in 7th out of maybe 400 people....picked Travis Zajac ...killed me.......local pool

This is interesting....but true...
Same guy in our draft pool ( 10 people ) no trades, has won now 2 years running.

He just picks the next available forward with the most points from last seasons stats.

He doesn`t even watch or follow hockey, but he has collected the $$$ now for 2 years straight by doing this, and he wins quite easily with this method.
foolpittier Posted - 04/07/2012 : 03:02:16
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

Up to this point, 35% of respondents have indicated they're in first place, while only 8% have responded they're in last place.

This makes sense. People in first place are more likely to blow their own horn, and conversely, people who are not doing so well usually don't promote their suffering.

And while many posters have indicated their current standing, few have responded to the original question - what's your secret? Is it luck? Do you have a strategy?

my secert is doing some home work , not picking players that get hurt alot,

Interesting strategy.....though i don't pick the Sami Salo's and Alex Hemsky's of the world either. I did however, pick Backstrom, Datsyuk and Toews. Is this bad luck, or did i not "do my home work"???

i guess not, there's alittle more to it, but if i told you it wouldnt be a secert... would it. luck also comes into play.
Alex116 Posted - 04/07/2012 : 01:39:15
quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

quote:

Up to this point, 35% of respondents have indicated they're in first place, while only 8% have responded they're in last place.

This makes sense. People in first place are more likely to blow their own horn, and conversely, people who are not doing so well usually don't promote their suffering.

And while many posters have indicated their current standing, few have responded to the original question - what's your secret? Is it luck? Do you have a strategy?

Interesting strategy.....though i don't pick the Sami Salo's and Alex Hemsky's of the world either. I did however, pick Backstrom, Datsyuk and Toews. Is this bad luck, or did i not "do my home work"???
Guest9558 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 21:13:31
Dead last. I seem to have the Midas touch this season; everything I touch turns to mufflers.
foolpittier Posted - 04/06/2012 : 15:50:11
quote:

Guest4377 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 19:42:45

Guest2218 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 14:25:52
Tied for first. I've never been a pool this close this late.

My secrets were healthy picks. Keys to success was picking Kessel as my last forward, and also the three New Jersey guys. But my first two picks might kill it for me - Perry and Getzlaf.
Clatts Posted - 04/05/2012 : 14:04:19
Im 1st in my pool of 10.

30 some points ahead so im pretty safe

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
foolpittier Posted - 04/05/2012 : 13:53:46
1st this year in my keeper, up by 38pts.
4th last year 75pts behind leader
big off season changes
Guest4178 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 12:11:22
I'm in first place in a 10-person pool. This is our 15th year (same guys), and I've won 7 times, and finished in 2nd place five times.

I have a few secrets, but I'm reticent to pass them along. (In fear that my fellow poolsters will see this posting, and use my "tips.")

But I will share one tip, which has been very helpful over the years.

Everyone pays attention to overall points from the previous regular season, and average points-per-game also. (Which makes sense.)

Points stats from past seasons are very important, but I bring a separate sheet of paper listing the top assist producers, which to me, is more important than overall points.

Here's my theory. First of all, there are more assists awarded than goals. (Obviously.) And opportunities to score are way less than opportunities to get an assist.

Using forwards as an example, a typical forward gets numerous opportunities to get assists in a given game. (Not just counting shots on net, but shots missing the net, blocked shots, posts, etc.)

In a typical game, a good forward may have 10 or 15 assist opportunities, but maybe only 2-3 scoring opportunities. (I actually think the spread is bigger than this.)

Switching over to defensemen, how many times does an average defenseman move or pass the puck out of his own end in a game? And how many shots or passes does the average defenseman take? Easily dozens, when you look at both things combined. The law of averages determines that a certain number of passes will result in a goal, which delivers a significantly more consistent outcome in determining assists over goals.

If you look at the results of past seasons (and individual players), you will see players' assists totals usually vary by 10-20% as an average, but with goal scorers, it's a more streaky proposition.

It's not uncommon at all to see a player score 40 goals one season, and then 20 goals the next season. And vice versa.

This rarely happens with players' assists totals. Sure - there are some rare exceptions, but when choosing between a player with 30 goals and 30 assists compared to a player with 20 goals and 40 assists, all other things being equal (as much as possible), I usually pick the player with the greater number of assists!
Guest6447 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 11:18:52
Somewhere between 2nd and 4th, changes by the minute.
Guest2969 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 09:45:51
Im in 1st in my one 8-man fantasy draft pool but only by 8 points now with having duncan keith and d. sedin on my team now the 2nd place guy is catching up. Im 3rd in my 25 man box pick'em pool
Alex116 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 09:20:42
Terrible year for me. I am dead last in my big one and middle of the pack in my other. Both pools i got badly hurt by injuries to guys like Backstrom, Datsyuk, Letang, etc and an off year from Getzlaf! Better luck in the playoffs maybe?
mandree888 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 07:19:14
second last but i decided to gamble a little bit his year and took carter nash and weisnewski( is that how you spell it?) ........ well all i can say is oops. i really was expecting big things from those three
Guest5091 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 06:39:05
Third, but I've got twice as many missed games as anyone else.
ryan93 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 04:52:28
I go in 2 regular season pools each year. I'm in 1st place in the pool on this site, with a 13 point lead on the guy in 2nd so it's looking good.

I was leading my other pool all season...until Crosby came back. The guy that's now leading is 20 points ahead of me, which is exactly how many points Sid has put up in his comeback! Looks like I'll have to settle for 2nd in that one.
Guest0342 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 03:47:48
first place. drafting with the intention of trading is the best way to win for me. I know who some people really like and draft them only to trade them for a better package of players. you would think peopleare smarter than that but they arent.

forwards: stamkos, giroux, neal, kovalchuk, elias, thornton, eberle, eriksson, gaborik, e.staal, zetterberg, datstyuk.

defense: chara, s.weber, suter, letang, burns, ehrhoff

goalies: rinne, fleury
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/15/2008 : 13:20:08
You dont even want to know all of the injuries I have endured.

Lets just say that I am last in my main pool. Oh well, there is always the playoffs.

spade632 Posted - 03/15/2008 : 12:49:00
I'm fifth in one (out of 13), second (of eight) in another, and first (of 11)in a third.

For the pool I'm in first for (currently by 4 points) I've been able to make trades to keep me at or near the top. The pool I'm in second in doesn't have trades so I'm stuck with what I've got. And, the pool I'm in fifth in we're allowed 1 trade per month for Oct-Feb and I've gotten hurt by injuries.

Antroman Posted - 03/12/2008 : 08:24:35
Guest 6613 - Biron has pretty much divided the goaltending with Nittimaki and Biron has not exactly, like the team, lived up to what many thought would be a great season. Collectively, compared to the top teams in my pool, my goaltending has been abysmal.....mainly because of Emery but Biron has not been a stellar choice either? I protected both of them in our draft and it has been costly to say the least. Of course, hind sight is the best sight and there is nobody but myself to blame. Unfortunately, at the time my choices were good ones. I just plain and simply lucked out. I hope this has cleared things up for you? I like Biron allot even though he has not amassed the points that I expected.
mytor4 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 03:00:43
quote:
Originally posted by admin

What place are you in your hockey pool? If you leading your pool, what is your key to success?

i'm leading by 56 pts. it looks like i'll be able to hold off and win it. i won it last yr also. we have a 15 team keeper league. pts only assist=1 goals=1 goalie win =2 shutout =additional =5. must count 1 goalie 6 d-man and 9 forwards. trades are allowed including your next yrs draft picks. at the end of the yr we protect any 15 players. then we do a draft of 12 more players which we put on our down team.they can replace a player on our up team .they can also be traded. i joined this league 7 yrs ago taking over the last place team. my sucess. shrud tradings and not trading my rookies that i drafted ,giving them time to grow. like spezza,kovalchuk,vanek ,roy. got lucky this yr drafting p.leclaire. he probably is the main reason that i'm winning this yr.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs
Guest6673 Posted - 03/11/2008 : 18:12:32
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

I am sixth out of fifteen teams in my keeper league. Fought it out for first for a third of the season and actually got there for a couple of days but injuries have taken their toll. Biggest mistake was having Biron and Emery for my goalies. I, like many others, thought they would both be first stringers on their respective teams. Bad luck for me!!!!

Biron is the first string.
Guest6673 Posted - 03/11/2008 : 18:11:50
Obviously "1st place" would be winning this poll as the people in first place would naturally be the most enhusiastic about answering this question.
Guest6673 Posted - 03/11/2008 : 18:10:27
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6673

quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I'm in third and probably the only reason I'm not in first is because of injuries... namely Gaborik.

How do you figure, are the five games Gaborik missed back at the beginning are hurting you that much?

Oh nevermind, your post was made last season.
Guest6673 Posted - 03/11/2008 : 18:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I'm in third and probably the only reason I'm not in first is because of injuries... namely Gaborik.

How do you figure, are the five games Gaborik missed back at the beginning are hurting you that much?
Antroman Posted - 03/11/2008 : 09:46:47
I am sixth out of fifteen teams in my keeper league. Fought it out for first for a third of the season and actually got there for a couple of days but injuries have taken their toll. Biggest mistake was having Biron and Emery for my goalies. I, like many others, thought they would both be first stringers on their respective teams. Bad luck for me!!!!
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 03/10/2008 : 19:18:14
In my pool i'm in 3rd out of 11 people which is not bad. The only probems that I have is that I took Emery...what a big mistake! I also took Vyborny as my last pick and that was also a big mistake! He only played half his games and only has 6 goals (in my pool goals are worth 2x more than assists) But there is also a good side to the story... I took Lecavalier in the 2nd round! What a steal! And also Giguere in the 12th round, people didn't want to take him because he was injured for the start of the season (surgery) but now he it playing well and overachieving.

"There is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it's not a train"
Guest6697 Posted - 03/09/2008 : 20:23:38
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guest6697[/i]
[br]I am fourth in my pool but I could be first if fleury hadnt gone down with a injury but on the bright side marc savard my extra pick had been racking up the points

My pool is out of 105 people
Guest6697 Posted - 03/09/2008 : 20:17:34
I am fourth in my pool but I could be first if fleury hadnt gone down with a injury but on the bright side marc savard my extra pick had been racking up the points
pensfan17 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 17:58:14
I am fourth in my pool due to injuries....

Fleury
Sakic
Gagne
Cammalerri
Semin
E. Johnson

No trading
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 17:52:47
i am in three pools
i am in

1st
1st
2nd

i basically keep track of stats from players i know are good and their stats the year bfore so i can wisely choose my picks

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Guest8023 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 09:12:35
I am in 5th out of 6. I picked a lot of underachieiving people this year and I had to pick 1st overall. Whenever i do that I do very poorly. Picked 5th overall last year and ran away with it the last 2 months.

I am 65 points out of 1st which leaves me no hope in hell of catching him. I probably won't even catch 4th place.
Guest4195 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 06:30:25
2nd out of 7 in one for what that's worth and 25th out of 169 in another ... both are keeper drafts ... the second one (can't recall the word for it right now) is one of the ones where you pick one player from each group so lots of people have close to the same rosters.
hkalirah Posted - 02/25/2008 : 06:27:57
Sitting in 10th out of 12 teams :(.

Go Wings Go!
n/a Posted - 02/25/2008 : 05:50:06
Ok guys, you just need to post once about how great you for leading the hockey pool . . . lol. Priceless.

I'm dead last in my ten man draft pool (at this site), some bad picks with unfortunately the most injuries of any team. I covered both great hockey pool categories - underperformers (Cheechoo, Ryder, Demitra) AND injuries (Gagne, Weber, Crosby, McCabe, Fleury . . . the list is too long).

My other pool, I am in the top third out of 110. Doing pretty well, but not good enough so far.

btw - I voted last place, my lowest showing. This was to counter all the fools who voted first place because two years ago they should have won their 5 person pool if not for bad luck . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
MarkhamMax Posted - 02/25/2008 : 00:02:02
2nd place here - in a 9 man pool.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page