Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
 College Hockey
 Need a College Hockey Forum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mikhailova Posted - 04/29/2007 : 15:28:27
I think we should have a forum for college hockey discussions. Of course it'd have to wait till next season since there's nothing going on right now, but I think it'd be fun to discuss NCAA games, Frozen Four, the schools, etc. Would this be possible?
31   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mikhailova Posted - 07/11/2007 : 19:20:26
A bit of Photoshopped college hockey humor...
But first some background: You all (might) know of that old movie where that Mexican guy says "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" Minnesota, whose mascot is a gopher, and Wisconsin, whose mascot is a badger, are rivals. So, I have made this little pic Photoshopping the Mexican guy a bit...

[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/6391x0g.jpg[/img]
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/09/2007 : 12:17:52
Ha Ha, apparantly Hawaiians invented Bobsled so anything is possible.
Mikhailova Posted - 07/09/2007 : 07:11:25
This is some interesting college hockey info...

The University of Hawaii has a hockey team. How is it that Hawaii has a team and the University of Illinois, for example, doesn't? Illinois is a Big Ten school! They HAVE to have a hockey team! And it get pretty cold there in the winter, they definitely have a hockey climate. And they're not the only ones--some universities that could have hockey teams don't.

I wonder what U of Hawaii's team name is...Hawaiian Ice?
Mikhailova Posted - 06/26/2007 : 16:56:46
Can it get any better for Minnesota? Six players selected in the entry draft and a Bill Masterton Trophy winner. Now they just need to win the national championship.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&KEY=&SPID=3322&SPSID=38855
Mikhailova Posted - 06/26/2007 : 09:34:11
A rather amusing story involving a college hockey player...

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/198318
Mikhailova Posted - 06/24/2007 : 18:02:39
Colby Cohen's going to Boston University and will be roommates with Kevin Shattenkirk, Colorado's first-round pick. A couple other later draft picks are going to Notre Dame University, which is surprising because it's not known for hockey. The teams look at where each kid goes to college, because that makes a big impact on their development as a player--for example, you'd be in a better hockey program if you went to Minnesota than if you went to, say, Illinois. To choose guys from Notre Dame is odd, but I guess they proved themselves good enough.
Mikhailova Posted - 06/23/2007 : 18:36:14
I think he did...I don't know the whole history there but that sounds familiar.

In other news, yet another draft pick will be going to the University of Michigan, as I found out today.
PainTrain Posted - 06/22/2007 : 22:49:01
Didn't Chris Drury win the hobey baker award when he was playing?
Mikhailova Posted - 06/22/2007 : 19:23:21
Brendan Smith and three other draft picks are going to the University of Wisconsin.

Jimmy O'Brien and Patrick White are going to the University of Minnesota. Patrick is a big fan of Herb Brooks (his dad's friend played under Brooks at St. Cloud University) and of Miracle and the 1980 game. Minnesota pride. Great minds think alike, Pat! (Jimmy O'Brien was picked by Ottawa...how dare they, a team I hate, select someone from my favorite school! Lol, kidding).

Petrecki is going to Boston College.
Canucks Man Posted - 06/18/2007 : 23:05:45
Both Brendan Morrison and Marty Turco went to Michigan, Morrison won the Hobey Baker Memorial Trophy. Paul Kariya went to Maine and so did Dave Nonis and Ryan Kesler went to Ohio State.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Mikhailova Posted - 06/15/2007 : 19:12:36
This is off-topic, but I was wondering how come you can't make polls in this forum. You can make them in all the other team forums, but it doesn't seem to be available here. Admin, any chance you could fix that?

Thanks!
Mikhailova Posted - 06/04/2007 : 20:07:07
Penner went to the University of Maine. Hmmm maybe Maine's not so bad as I thought, they have a potential Stanley Cup winner on their record.

Comrie went to Univ. of Michigan, Eaves went to Boston College, and DiPenta went to Boston University.

Potential scouting pick Max Pacioretty will be going to the University of Michigan this fall.

Erik Johnson (who won an award at the World Juniors and was the US captain), goes to the University of Minnesota.

Draft pick Ryan McDonagh is going to the University of Wisconsin.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/22/2007 : 16:08:44
No, the season ended in late April. It starts up again in October I think.
Saku Steen Posted - 05/22/2007 : 15:41:32
Is college hockey still going on??
Mikhailova Posted - 05/22/2007 : 14:39:55
Chris Drury went to Boston College, and I'm sure he knows how his school's trend feels...make it all the way to the final round and then lose.
Mikhailova Posted - 05/19/2007 : 16:40:44
More college hockey tidbits:

The father of some guy on the Senators (I think it was Eaves, not sure) is the head coach of the men's hockey team at the University of Wisconsin.

Mark Johnson, of the Miracle on Ice team, is the head coach of the women's hockey team at the University of Wisconsin (half the reason I applied, lol).

And Alexei Kasatonov, of the Russian team from 1980, is the head men's hockey coach at Columbia University.
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/07/2007 : 21:42:54
haha we always up north called minnesota "The M" kinda like miami is called "The U" we call michigan u of m

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Mikhailova Posted - 05/07/2007 : 14:42:01
The U of M is Minnesota. Michigan's nickname is UMich. (At first Michigan was my #1 school, but out-of-state tuition was much higher than everywhere else, so I went with Minnesota. The slogan I always said in my Michigan days was "UWish UWent to UMich"!)

Forgot about Ferris...there's also Bowling Green and Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth. The northern Big Ten schools rule it though (plus Boston College).
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/06/2007 : 22:20:56
I'm from 15 minutes north of Michigan tech haha and know a few players on the northern most schools as well as msu...other schools that are pesky to the big ten schools are ferris and Lake superior state...a few guys that have been Nhl players from these schools are the Ferris's own John Gruden and Chris Kunitz From MTU Chris Conner, Tony Esposito, and Randy Mckay From NMU Dallas Drake and Don Wadell(GM of Thrashers) From LSSU Bates Battaglia, John Grahame, Brian Rolston, Doug Weight, and Jim Dowd
Now Michigan has so many i'm not listing them...probably the same as MSU and others...Michigans hockey alumni that were drafted (including the first american citizen to have his name on the stanley cup(who is from my hometown no less!))check it out
U of M= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Michigan_sporting_alumni#Hockey
MSU= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Michigan_State_Spartans_ice_hockey_players

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Mikhailova Posted - 05/06/2007 : 14:23:34
I wondered about that. Isn't there some league called the CIS or something? I don't know much about Canadian college hockey. I know some of the schools, but I don't know how good they are or who some good players are.

P.S. More notable NHLers from the NCAA--Today during the Sabres game I found out Ryan Miller went to Michigan State.
hithere311 Posted - 05/06/2007 : 01:19:20
Alright!

But how 'bout college hockey here in Canada? Anyone else follow that?
I see another championship going to U of A.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 17:28:54
Its almost like the College Basketball format. Some notables you all have heard of that are currently in the NCAA is Johnathon Toews, T.J. Oshie and Andrew Cogliano. I have the NHL Network and they televise games frequently. I watched this years Championship Game. It pretty cool but Mik can teach us alot, especially when the season gets underway next year.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
1 Crosby fan Posted - 04/30/2007 : 17:23:28
Awesome I'll try to remember that

My Birthday is tomorrow YEA i want a gift from everyone on Pick-up Hockey lol
Mikhailova Posted - 04/30/2007 : 12:45:46
You can go to the NCAA website and go to the ice hockey section: (I had to make the link a tiny URL because the real one was too long, lol)

http://tinyurl.com/m6kpm

Or you could go to the schools' websites and look under 'Athletics' and then 'Ice hockey'.
Saku Steen Posted - 04/30/2007 : 12:06:30
Ok, thanks Mik. Ill try to stay on top of this next season

Know any good links for college hockey?
Mikhailova Posted - 04/30/2007 : 11:53:36
Thanks admin!

OK, here's what you need to know about college hockey. In the NCAA, there are three main divisions for hockey: the ECHA (Eastern Collegiate Hockey Association), the WCHA (Western), and the CCHA (Central). There are six dominant schools, who consistently produce the best teams: University of Minnesota, Univ. of Michigan, Univ. of Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan State, and Univ. of North Dakota. Other prominent schools are the Univ. of Maine, Ohio State, Univ. of Alaska, Northern Michigan Univ., and Michigan Tech. However, these and the other hockey schools aren't among the powerhouses, and usually don't get too far in NCAA tournaments (except for this year, when Maine made it to the Frozen Four). I'm not quite sure how the playoff schedules work (I only started watching college hockey recently and they don't televize a lot of games), but each division has their own playoffs to determine the winner of that division (Minnesota was this year's WCHA champ!), and the top schools in each division (not sure the exact number, 8 maybe) advance. The playoffs continue until the Frozen Four, where the top four remaining teams compete, and the winners of each game advance to the championship game. This year's winner was Michigan State, they defeated Boston College. (The four teams were Michigan State, Boston College, Univ. of North Dakota, and Univ. of Maine). Boston College has a history of making it to the final game and then losing--it happened this year, it happened last year when they lost to Wisconsin, and it happened in 1976 to their rival Minnesota. Minnesota is usually considered the most dominant hockey school, and Boston perhaps would be second. Notable players are Jonathan Toews (U of North Dakota) and Boston College goalie Cory Schneider. There are others but I haven't seen enough games to get a good idea of who they are. Ohio State has a couple of good players, but with the exception of John McIlvaine, their names escape me. Several NHLers came from these schools--Vanek went to Minnesota, someone on the Devils (forget who) came from Ohio State, and several others have come from Boston College and Univ. of North Dakota.

I went to an Ohio State game against Northern Michigan once, and OSU won. It was pretty cool. Anything else you want to know, just ask!
Saku Steen Posted - 04/30/2007 : 11:33:00
Ok Mik, tell us about this league.... teams, players, ect.
admin Posted - 04/30/2007 : 10:56:01
Your wish is my command.

Mik, I just created a college hockey forum in the "Other Leagues" Category (which I just moved this topic to)

Have fun and enjoy!
semin-rules Posted - 04/30/2007 : 05:35:03
Yeah, I think it would be interesting.

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Saku Steen Posted - 04/30/2007 : 03:48:49
Ya, I dont know anything about it so I would like to learn about it!

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
1 Crosby fan Posted - 04/29/2007 : 16:08:19
Well me I don't watch Collage Hockey but if we have a forum about with Mik here I could learn a lot and I'd like it

Viktor Kozlov is my hero

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page