Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Goaltender Interference

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ripley Posted - 05/11/2004 : 20:52:30
I'm tired of all the stoppages in play to call a penalty for Goaltender Interference. The other night a forward made a move on a goaltender in the crease (breakaway) As he made his move he fell, right into the goalie. He got called for Interference. What the hell??? He was making a move one on one with the goalie. Do you think that was his plan? Yah that's it....I'm gonna break in, fall like rubber chicken into the goalie then pick up the puck when I'm in the back of the net and pull the puck in with me!! What a plan!

REFS put away the whistle and let the goalies be accountable for their own mistakes!!!!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jack Kayden 66 Posted - 11/22/2005 : 09:23:31
Did anyone see the Canucks/Ducks game on Sunday. Dan Cloutier was constantly getting run and finally took matters into his own hands (and blocker) and pounded the heck out of Rob Niedermayer. Good for him!! You should not be able to make contact with the goalie - period. Even when pushed by the opposing defenseman, forwards are still taking that extra shove and causing serious injuries. Cloutier is just back from a concussion due to an Avalanche player crashing the net. If they step out of the crease they should be considered fair game, but while in the crease, they need to be protected.
coastie Posted - 11/21/2005 : 17:45:04
The example you guys are using is exactly the reason that the rule should be changed or tweaked a little, but not for the same purpose that you are probably thinking.

Now the netminders have got to be feeling like the red headed step children of the NHL. We're lucky anybody even wants to play the position anymore. You're movement is more restricted now, pads are smaller, GAA's are at pre-1990's levels again (which I actually kind of like). And now they are feeling like that guy in the old black and white slow motion movie who catches a canon ball with his stomach.

Due to the rules that restrict what defensemen can do to stop the advancement of breakaway forwards and fast 2-on-1 and 3-on-1(et cetera) breaks there is nothing stopping th forwards from going head-on at full speed into the tenders.

The only recourse that goalies have to protect them is the interference rule. I understand that the rule books state that the Referees have a little more lattitude in how they call a goalie intereference (giving them the ability to reject a goal AND hand out a 2 minute minor). To my knowledge, the rule has only ever been used to take away goals.

Obviously though, this rule hasn't helped the Goalies much since they seem to be getting pounded with just as much frequency as early October play even now. However, the rule is neccessary because it's the only protection the Goalies are allowed anymore.

Zach
Backwash Posted - 07/30/2004 : 21:08:21
The difference is goalies are sitting ducks. We only cover a small percentage of the ice as compared to any player. If you want to hit the goalie, you know where to find him. plus many players take liberties with goalies, so i think a little dive by a goalie isn't a bad thing. It may not need a penalty, but a well timed whistle is just as effective
ShwaY Posted - 07/26/2004 : 10:34:12
[quote]Originally posted by puckdog

[You are accountable for your stick just as you are accountable for your body and when you can't control your body causing an infraction of the rules, it is a penalty whether you like it or not.
/quote]

You are right about that. But dont players get unsportsmanlike conduct when they over-exaggerate on a play, like a dive? How come goalies dont get the same treatment. This just proves that referees treat goalies totally different than players, which is wrong.
puckdog Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:15:41
First off, I am NOT a goalie. I am all for goalies being allowed to be hit out of the net. I am all for crashing the paint and getting in goalies ways and making thier lives difficult. And yes, if there is unintentional contact or if the defending team shoves you in to the goalie-tough beans. Personally, I watched over 100 games this year, and I did not see one goalie interference penalty called if the player got pushed into or onto the goalie by the defenseman. In this case though, you are wrong, Whether primeau meant to look like a tool or not, he took the goalie completely out of the play, and that is a penalty. A high stick to the face is a high sticking penalty whether you meant to do it or not. You are accountable for your stick just as you are accountable for your body and when you can't control your body causing an infraction of the rules, it is a penalty whether you like it or not.
Ripley Posted - 05/13/2004 : 22:37:25
You must be a goalie! That's a load of crap. It's a technicality that takes away from the game. If a player doesn't intentionally interfere with the tender then it should be considered incidental contact and the play should continue. It's not like Primeau did it on purpose...no one plans to look that bad! He didn't crash into the goalie and then sit on top of him. It was the the defending player that laid on top of Primeau. The reason the goalie didn't stop the puck was because he was too busy beating on the back of Primeau's skull and whining "I've been shot! I've been shot!".

My point is that we can't even breath on a goalie or look at him funny without getting called. A guy could stop 3 feet from a goalie and the opposing team can push that guy into the tender, then jump on him a few times...guaranteed the offensive team will get a penalty. It's absolutely rediculous. While attempting to fix one problem, the league has created another. Hockey is like a painting, at a certain point it is done, it can't get any better. If you add another brush stroke it's ruined. Well we were done this painting in the 80's. We should have stopped then and enjoyed it for what it was. Enough is enough.

The crease is getting bigger, the goalie pads are bigger. What's next? Do we have to make the pucks bigger too? Or how about this, maybe we could allow the goalies to yell "TIME OUT!" when they feel they are out of position or they have a bad feeling in their tummies.

LET THE GAME BE PLAYED!!!
puckdog Posted - 05/12/2004 : 12:21:47
What game where you watching? Primeau went in one on one and deked himself out of his own jock and collapsed in a heap on the goalie. Sami kapanen came in and picked up the loose puck and shoveled it in the net. The goalie was unable to make a play on the puck since primeau was on top of him (on his own accord-not pushed in) so the ref has to wave off the goal. If you wave off a goal because the goalie was interferred with, the penalty is an automatic call. The ref had no choice in the matter.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page