Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Should Ovechkin receive a suspension?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 12/04/2006 : 10:08:09
Alexander Ovechkin hit Daniel Briere from behind on Saturday night and was thrown out of the game. The NHL has yet to rule but rumor has it he will receive a fine, but no suspension. Do you think the hit is suspension worthy?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bablaboushka Posted - 12/06/2006 : 09:58:05
I do agree about Briere. He was in a vulnerable position but there was definitely a tsp. of embellishment.

Roloson's cheap shot on Nash doesn't surprise me. I think he should have been kicked out of the game for intent to injure. It's one thing to slash a guy behind the leg to tell him to get out of your way, but to swipe him between the legs with your stick like a credit card at Christmas is flat out dirty and uncalled for. I used to be a goalie so I understand Roloson's frustration with him, but that's not how you get back at a guy.
Guest4306 Posted - 12/06/2006 : 09:42:58
Actually.. it did look like Briere over exaggerated the hit.. either that or the guys got no balance on his skates. Ovechkin doesn't deserve a suspension, it was more of a tap then a hit. Since you need to give out some kind of punishment, a fine is good enough.
Guest6869 Posted - 12/06/2006 : 08:56:35
Nevermind Ovechkin what about Roloson cheap shot on Rick Nash. Alls he got was a measly 2 minute minor for slashing.
Ryan Harper Posted - 12/05/2006 : 10:07:23
From Sportsnet:

"We talk about it," Ovechkin said after practice. "He tell me we understand you don't try to give some dirty hit. I tell him same. . . . I just want to hit him, but [Briere was] turning and I don't have time to do something."

He was fined $1,000 on top of the automatic $100 for a game misconduct. First time offender.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
pucker Posted - 12/05/2006 : 09:57:24
Ovechkin took advantage of Briere in a very vulnerable position. He probably didn't mean to do it, but Bertuzzi probably didn't mean to break Steve Moores neck when he sucker punched him. If Briere broke his neck on that play, then would Ovechkin have been suspended for the remainder of the season like Bertuzzi was? Probably not. When will the NHL do somthing about these types of plays?

And to the guy that said Briere dove, get a life buddy.

framer87 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 18:28:31
quote:
Originally posted by Trevman12

He just tried to rub briere out, it wasn't intentional.

How was he trying to rub Briere out when briere didnt even have the puck and it looked like he was going to the bench. He should get a 1-3 game suspension but the NHL will give him nothing because he sells tickets.

Go pens
Guest6916 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 17:28:14
Briere should get suspended for DIVING!
Guest6916 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 17:27:35
na, it wasn't all that bad. super star or not, no suspension in my book.
Guest9688 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 16:08:23
quote:
Originally posted by Trevman12

Rub him out? Briere was going to the bench, it's not like he was involved in the play in any way. I like Ovechkin but that hit certainly deserved a suspension in my opinion. I don't like the idea of one set of rules for stars and another for everyone else.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/04/2006 : 15:23:45
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Great. Just what the Caps need--they're not doing so great and their best player is out of the next 5 games.

What? He hasn't been suspended and he's not injured... He's not expected to be suspended either.
Trevman12 Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:56:48
Mikhailova Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:05:41
Great. Just what the Caps need--they're not doing so great and their best player is out of the next 5 games.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/04/2006 : 12:04:55
I thought it had already been announced that he would not get suspended but that he should expect a fine.

I think he deserved a 1-game suspension. The reason is that hits from behind happen sometimes when a player goes for a puck along the boards and turns around, and by that time the forechecking player has too much momentum and cannot stop in time. The difference with this hit though, is that Ovechkin hit Briere from behind and very late.

I don't believe he meant to injure Briere or anything, I watched the video a few times and as soon as Ovechkin did it, it looked like he knew exactly what he'd just done. The NHL wouldn't suspend him anyways though, he sells tickets.

Like some have said to me, Ovechkin should get a minor suspension (like 1-game) because he is a role model to so many young hockey players, and he needs to be shown, for everyone to see, that those plays are unacceptable.
Ryan Harper Posted - 12/04/2006 : 10:56:46
The announcer who called the hit said he would get 5 games. I thought that was a little much but I do think he deserves 1-3 games for the hit. The NHL's disciplinary record is totally bush league and he will get nothing. The excuse will be that it is his first offence. Thats rubbish.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
blade Posted - 12/04/2006 : 10:16:25
It was a dirty hit and his body language made it look like it was intentional. But I don't think it is suspendable. Not on the first offense anyway.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page