Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 UFA Aftermath

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mikhailova Posted - 07/02/2007 : 12:00:14
Which team got the best results after the UFA signings so far?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Antroman Posted - 01/26/2008 : 10:48:55
Nylander backed out of the Edmonton deal because his wife refused to go there. She apparently wanted to stay in the East Coast area. At least that is what I read at the time. It made me wonder if she called Misses Pronger? LOL. In all seriousness though, the story read that she didn't want to subject their kids to a change in the educational format by transferring them to Canadian schools. I remember thinking at the time.......What has she got against giving them a better and safer education?
Guest8490 Posted - 01/26/2008 : 00:25:59
wow all you flyers haters out there will dead wrong the flyers are the best rebuilt team in years .... i can remember a time when a team went from last to first in one year.... lupul,richards,hartnell,carter,umberger,upshall have proven that they can bud in this offense and with the best PP% in the league this team will only get better when the lines gell fully .... talkj to me in a few months when the flyers are the #2 seed in the east... and we have proven whe can kick ottawa's ass any time we want sooooooo GO FLYERS
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/05/2007 : 04:57:01
Heard that Oilers might take legal actions against Nylander.....

(Time differance Pickuphockey-Sweden approx +9 hours 1min 5sek......so I can always blame it on Jetlag.)
Beans15 Posted - 07/04/2007 : 07:45:31
That Nylander thing was a joke. He like what the Oilers were offering, so they faxed him a contract. While they were waiting for the fax to come back he goes and signs with Washington. Not much the Oilers can do, but that's gotta be a kick to the groin for Lowe.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Mikhailova Posted - 07/03/2007 : 19:46:25
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

uhh are you forgetting gagne who is far better then brierre

I know, but I added him in a previous post. Yeah there's Smith and Timonen on defense but lots of other teams have strong defense. It's not like they're head and shoulders above the rest. I said the Flyers are good, but they're not gonna be the best.

quote:
cant forget hartnell either who will be good for 30 goals next year,,,, plus mark my words birons gonna be the best hes ever been next sason

When did you become a prophet, Pasty?
Pasty7 Posted - 07/03/2007 : 17:20:40
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

My vote goes to NYR. Although much improved, no, Philly will not be the best next year, because A.) Upshall and Parent are good but not good enough to help lead the team to the Cup B.) Van Riemsdyk won't be in the league next year, and C.) Briere is the only big gun on the team. The younger players need time to develop, they aren't magically going to be superstars next year, they're not Crosby or Ovechkin.

Colorado was my second choice. Smyth and Hannan can work with Sakic and really get some stuff done. They'll be in the playoffs next year.

I chose NYR because Drury and Gomez are both key players, and the good players that were there to begin with aren't youngsters who need a few seasons to improve, they're already good. Cherepanov is the exception, but playing with Jagr, Shanny, and the others will really force him to work. And he won Top Forward in the WJ, so he can't be that lazy.

uhh are you forgetting gagne who is far better then brierre ,, then there is smith who is ne of the top tough guys / defensive d man in the league timonnen cant forget hartnell either who will be good for 30 goals next year,,,, plus mark my words biron is gonna be the best hes ever been next sason and people sometime forget hes been pretty freaking goond in the past

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/03/2007 : 12:27:28
You are right Pain Train, he is there too for Colorado. I did miss him. That just proves how deep Colorado should be.

And Mr.Guest, how can you talk about teams like Washington and Toronto as fighting for a spot and not bring in Tampa Bay into the mix? Or Carolina for that matter. Both are better on paper, in my opinion, than Washington and Toronto. Montreal is a better team on paper than Toronto as well.

I think Philly did a great job adding to their team. Maybe not a playoff contender next year, but definately in the playoff mix. And with the draft picks from this year and the moves they made at the deadline last year to get draft picks, they have built a pretty solid foundation.

Plus, the off season is just starting. Trades and more signings will come. It's really hard to tell where everyone will be until training camp.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Guest4738 Posted - 07/03/2007 : 11:43:57
i dont see philly even finishing in the top four of the east. Rangers,Ottawa,Pens are my top three in the east. After that, the flyers along with the Sabres, Leafs, Atlanta and Washington will fight for the next few spots. The flyers got a first line center in Briere along with Gagne but thy're gunna need guys like Lupul, Knuble to step up and be a top 6 forward. Also, the big crop of young kids are going to start proving themselves this year. For the flyers to even be considered a contender though, they must pickup or 1 or 2 top 4 d-man to help out Smith and Timonen. Overall though a great turn around so far by Holmgren and company though if they want to be contenders right this year, a trade for another top 6 forward along with a top 4 defenseman must happen which will probably have to include some of their future prospects.
-oil-country- Posted - 07/03/2007 : 11:12:46
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Ya the Rangers definatly. But I think that the Flyers could be a playoff calibre team. Why?? I'll tell you.

A). Big Guns- Gagne and Briere will be lethal. Add a strong forward to the mix there and you may have the best line in hockey.

B). Young Guns- I don;t need to list all of the young talent on their team. Some may not comein the league right away but this looks promising. The list includes...Scottie Upshall, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Braydon Coburg, Alexandre Picard, Steve Downie, Claude Giroux, Ryan Parent, Ryan Poutnly, Stefan Ruzicka and James van Rymsdyk.

C). No more goaltending issues- They now got a good netminder between the pipes in Biron. It looks really good for them.

D). New Additions- The list includes Briere, Hartnell and Timmonen. You could even say van Rymsdyk. It looks like the Flyers are constantly getting better.

Second place is only first place of the losers.

Don't forget Lupul and Smith, Smith is a very good hard-nosed D-Man who lacks in offensive ability is a guy who is willing to sacrifice his body by blocking shots and isn't very easy to beat him 1-on-1. Now Lupul, I have a hunch that he is gonna come out flying this year and have atleast a 30-goal season, he is a wicked shot and few moves up his sleeve, I say watch out for Lupul this year.

To answer the question though, New York Rangers, Drury and Gomez were ranked #1 and #2 on TSN's Top Free Agent Ratings (even though I think it should have been Briere, Drury, Gomez) and for a team to pick them both is quite remarkable and I think Philly and the Rangers and the teams to beat in the East and Anaheim and Colorado in the West.

PainTrain Posted - 07/03/2007 : 11:09:09
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Obviously the Rangers did the most to improve their team. They were already a East Conf. 1/4 finalist and had the skills to knock off the Sabres. Now, they lost Nylander(who is a very good player) but pick up Gomez and Drury. They are building themselves to be a play off team. They might not sweep through the reg season very well, but come play-off time, they should be awesome. I still think they are a d-man away from the cup, but that might still come.

2nd place goes to Colorado. They were 19-2-3 in the last 24 games of the season. They had 2-7 game losing streaks and and 8 games losing streak last year. Add Smyth to the mix with an eager Joe Sakic to go out on top. Couple that will Hedjuk, Wolski, Stastny, Brunette and Arnason up front. Then throw Hannan on the back with Skrastins, Leopold, and Liles. Plus, they are losing only 6 player to UFA and still will have around $10 million left under the cap. If they can keep some of that magic from the end of last year, they will be a very dangerous team. On paper they have the tools to compete with the Ducks, Sharks, and Wings

Can someone please tell me why no one talks about Brett Clark?

He was third on the team in hits, took the most shifts for the team, lead them in average ice time, 10 goals, 29 assists for 39 points witch is 2nd on the team for d-man, and he also was a +5. And he lead the whole entire NHL in shifts per game with 35.1 a game. And he played in all 82 games for Colorado.

And Beans you don't put him as a top 4 d-man in Colorado.
juice32 Posted - 07/03/2007 : 10:53:13

I've got to go with everyone else here and say the Rangers made the best pick-ups. There gonna be a team to be weckened with next season with Lundquist, Gomez, Dury, Jagar, and possibly Shany.

But I also like what the Capitals did......signing Nylander and Koslav were smart moves. They now have someone to center Oveckin. Poti was a nick pick-up as well
Beans15 Posted - 07/03/2007 : 09:39:08
Obviously the Rangers did the most to improve their team. They were already a East Conf. 1/4 finalist and had the skills to knock off the Sabres. Now, they lost Nylander(who is a very good player) but pick up Gomez and Drury. They are building themselves to be a play off team. They might not sweep through the reg season very well, but come play-off time, they should be awesome. I still think they are a d-man away from the cup, but that might still come.

2nd place goes to Colorado. They were 19-2-3 in the last 24 games of the season. They had 2-7 game losing streaks and and 8 games losing streak last year. Add Smyth to the mix with an eager Joe Sakic to go out on top. Couple that will Hedjuk, Wolski, Stastny, Brunette and Arnason up front. Then throw Hannan on the back with Skrastins, Leopold, and Liles. Plus, they are losing only 6 player to UFA and still will have around $10 million left under the cap. If they can keep some of that magic from the end of last year, they will be a very dangerous team. On paper they have the tools to compete with the Ducks, Sharks, and Wings

Mikhailova Posted - 07/03/2007 : 07:14:56
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

But I think that the Flyers could be a playoff calibre team.

Definitely. The Flyers will be in the playoffs next year, or at least a playoff contender. But will they win the Cup? I don't think so.
Leafsgirl 48 Posted - 07/02/2007 : 16:50:56
For the UFA signings I think that the New York Rangers got the best deals overall.After all they got Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.
stastnysforever Posted - 07/02/2007 : 16:40:11
I missed the free agent frenzy yesterday because it was canada day so I didnt know that the avs got smyth and hannan so as soon as i saw that I just clicked on it cuz i was excited, i would have probably voted rangers though, but they did lose nylander

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Mikhailova Posted - 07/02/2007 : 16:23:37
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

when you said Briere was there only star what about Gagne?

Oh yeah I forgot Gagne. He and Briere will be the bulk of the team, though Philly will be infinitely better than last year.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/02/2007 : 15:29:31
Picking up Gomez and Drury makes the Rangers without a question the winners on July 1st. Drury will provide some much needed leadership and Gomez will provide some goal scoring.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 07/02/2007 : 15:23:22
Ya the Rangers definatly. But I think that the Flyers could be a playoff calibre team. Why?? I'll tell you.

A). Big Guns- Gagne and Briere will be lethal. Add a strong forward to the mix there and you may have the best line in hockey.

B). Young Guns- I don;t need to list all of the young talent on their team. Some may not comein the league right away but this looks promising. The list includes...Scottie Upshall, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Braydon Coburg, Alexandre Picard, Steve Downie, Claude Giroux, Ryan Parent, Ryan Poutnly, Stefan Ruzicka and James van Rymsdyk.

C). No more goaltending issues- They now got a good netminder between the pipes in Biron. It looks really good for them.

D). New Additions- The list includes Briere, Hartnell and Timmonen. You could even say van Rymsdyk. It looks like the Flyers are constantly getting better.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Canucks Man Posted - 07/02/2007 : 15:03:06
I agree Mik, I think NYR got the best results. But I do think philly will be ahelluva lot better next year, when you said Briere was there only star what about Gagne? and they have a pretty good goalie now and should be in the fighting fo ra playoff positon.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Mikhailova Posted - 07/02/2007 : 12:05:53
My vote goes to NYR. Although much improved, no, Philly will not be the best next year, because A.) Upshall and Parent are good but not good enough to help lead the team to the Cup B.) Van Riemsdyk won't be in the league next year, and C.) Briere is the only big gun on the team. The younger players need time to develop, they aren't magically going to be superstars next year, they're not Crosby or Ovechkin.

Colorado was my second choice. Smyth and Hannan can work with Sakic and really get some stuff done. They'll be in the playoffs next year.

I chose NYR because Drury and Gomez are both key players, and the good players that were there to begin with aren't youngsters who need a few seasons to improve, they're already good. Cherepanov is the exception, but playing with Jagr, Shanny, and the others will really force him to work. And he won Top Forward in the WJ, so he can't be that lazy.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page