Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Was it Hanlon's Fault?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 11/23/2007 : 15:58:35
Should the Washington Capitals brass have fired their head coach Glen Hanlon and why/why not?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
-Al- Posted - 11/29/2007 : 14:06:08
I gotta say it wasn't Hanlon's fault... To compare this again to the firing of Hartley in Atlanta, both teams have a fairly young, high-skilled forward (Kovalchuk and Ovechkin) who could single-handedly carry the team if necessary. Hanlon was giving Ovechkin time on ice, but Ovechkin doesn't have too many other skilled players to work with, so it's obvious the team won't be doing too well in the standings. In Atlanta, it was obvious the coach was the problem. Whenever Kovalchuk would make a defensive mistake, Hartley would dock his ice time. When Wadell fired Hartley and took over, Kovalchuk started getting more ice time, and what do you know, the team has only lost 2 straight once since. I would take note, however, that this is a team that boasts a second offensively gifted player in Marian Hossa.
Guest6634 Posted - 11/25/2007 : 16:52:34
Obviously yes...he had a decent cast of players. Even if though they are questionable defensively they are better than worst in the league.
Guest2658 Posted - 11/25/2007 : 07:16:38
In my opinion it always should come back to the players.The kjnd of money they make .They should thank the hockey gods ,they are blessed with a job they love to do.Plus get paid throngs of money.And not to mention have the summer off.Not to many jobs have these perks.So to blame the coach is the easy way out.But you could plainly see this in Atlanta.It may get the players going .But with the coin these players make they should give a full 60 minutes every game
PuckNuts Posted - 11/24/2007 : 13:45:02
A lot of time you don't know of the players on teams that you only see once or twice a season on TV.

Atlanta was 0-6-0 when Hartley was fired, they are 11-5-0 since then, was it the team, or the coach. Was the coach that bad or was the team not responding to his strategy, either way the firing made a difference.

Washington "brass" must feel that the coach is the problem.

So far they are 1-0-0 with Bruce Boudreau as the head coach, a former Leaf, what the heck...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

nashvillepreds Posted - 11/24/2007 : 13:16:37
It was definitely not Hanlon's fault this season. With Semin out these are his top 5 players to work with.

Michael Nylander
Tom Poti
Nicklas Backstrom
Viktor Kozlov
Alexander Ovechkin.

Now we can compare this to the Thrashers lineup before their head coach was fired:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Marian Hossa
Vyacheslov Kozlov
Garnet Exelby
Bobby Holik

And, what the heck, lets compare both of these to the Devils last year:

Brian Rafalski
Scott Gomez
Patrick Elias
Jamie Langenbrunner
Brian Gionta

The top 5 may all look even (which don't) but then you just take a look at the rest of the team. Some people may have heard of maybe 3 of the rest of the guys on the capitals.

GO PREDATORS GO
Antroman Posted - 11/24/2007 : 11:54:02
Sometimes just a change is for the better. I don't think Hanlon is that bad of a coach but the scene in Washington was getting stale. They hired a great replacement in "Gabby Boudreau". He has won everywhere he has coached. They gave him a nice opening night victory last night.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/24/2007 : 08:41:19
Blame the GM and the scouting staff.

They had a chance to trade up for Toews, Jordan Staal or Erik Johnson. They took Backstrom, whom they touted as the next Alexander Ovechkin. He looks more like the next Alexandre Daigle.

Their big off-season signing was Nylander, a guy who has had, at best, an average career, and has always disappeared for months at a time in between big games. The other was Viktor Kozlov, a career under-achieving Russian who was once compared to Mario Lemieux (sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth there).

Hanlon was poor, but so was the rest of the management team.

They did pick Ovie, though. That was a difficult choice.
Ripley Posted - 11/23/2007 : 16:36:00
He had 4 years to make something out of that team and didn't really produce anything. So I think you have to place a large part of the blame on the coach's shoulders. He's had a mix of players and one of the top player's in the league so he should have been able to produce better results than a 78-123-9-29 record.
admin Posted - 11/23/2007 : 16:01:15
Pickuphockey.com - http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7009243126
NHL.com - http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=344176&page=NewsPage&service=page

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page