Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - The Best Team

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toady210 Posted - 11/13/2006 : 06:37:20
At this time in the season what team do you think has the best shot at the cup
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
B-rett10 Posted - 12/17/2006 : 14:24:20
The Ducks
Guest4456 Posted - 11/29/2006 : 21:28:17
I think the sens will turn it around towards the end of the season and have a great playoff drive

so I'm voting for them
Guest7166 Posted - 11/23/2006 : 15:14:55
What about Carolina?
bablaboushka Posted - 11/22/2006 : 19:43:41
The admin answered this for you when you asked this in the other thread:

http://pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=844

You already have one though...
framer87 Posted - 11/22/2006 : 19:16:52
How do you get an avatar

Patrick Frame
Guest8977 Posted - 11/18/2006 : 12:53:56
The NHL voted the Edmonton Oiler team of1987 to be the beswt team ever existed, everyone needs to agree that the oilers are the best team all time, but for this year, I'd have to say that Buffalo is the best, and in years to come, Pittsburgh will be the best team in the league just because their team is so filled with young talent.
Mikhailova Posted - 11/17/2006 : 14:01:25
Buffalo all the way. They've been doing great this year! Second choice was the Red Wings though.
toady210 Posted - 11/17/2006 : 11:22:45
lol funny

B.g
framer87 Posted - 11/15/2006 : 16:40:10
Put Pittsburgh up there they're taking it home this year
framer87 Posted - 11/15/2006 : 16:12:48
trevor my main boui

Patrick Frame
Trevman12 Posted - 11/15/2006 : 16:06:06
yeah pat
framer87 Posted - 11/14/2006 : 14:02:57
yeah

Patrick Frame
ultimatetitman Posted - 11/14/2006 : 13:04:12
If you were to say the Canucks were one of the best, I, an avid 'nucks fan, would give you a swift kick in the man berries! Just to sort you out!
pucker Posted - 11/14/2006 : 10:00:24
I voted for Buffalo, but think you both make great points here. One thing that has been discussed in this forum before is "Is the West better?" The East has the better individaul stars: Ovechkin, Crosby, Hossa, Kovalchuk, Staal, etc. etc. But the West has the strongest teams. Dallas, San Jose, and Anaheim could be 1, 2, and 3 and are all in the same division - its crazy. I wouls absolutely LOVE to see the Ducks and Sharks in the Western conference finals. Anaheim has the killer combo of Pronger and Niedermayer that may be the only combination in the league capable of stoppong the one - two line punch in San Jose.

Nothng wrong with letting your bias show babs - especially when your team is performing. If I were to say the Canucks were one of the best, well then I would deserve a verbal thrashing.
admin Posted - 11/14/2006 : 09:37:49
Hey framer - we have got to get you an avatar!
framer87 Posted - 11/13/2006 : 19:19:17
Pittsburghs taking it home.

Patrick Frame
ultimatetitman Posted - 11/13/2006 : 17:19:40
Well, I won't argue with those points bablaboushka! One thing I started to say, and meant to finish, but didn't is this: San Jose's biggest stumbling block is, as you say, where they play.
Travel does and will play a huge factor in who wins the Cup. Therefore, any West Coast team is at a massive disadvantage before the playoffs even begin.
But in the end, my final point is this. The Western Conference will likely come down to Anaheim vs. San Jose. They will beat the crap out of each other and could well be spent before the finals begin. Plus, they will have to get through the likes of Detroit, Calgary, Dallas, and Nashville. I won't say they are better than any Eastern team, but they are a heckuva lot harder to grind out with over a 7 game series.
That, really, is why I chose Buffalo. I feel that there isn't as much competition in the East, and they will be a lot more rested. With that lineup and that speed... they'll take it... sadly.
Guest8985 Posted - 11/13/2006 : 14:52:30
why the hell is New Jersey on there?!?!?!
toady210 Posted - 11/13/2006 : 14:22:16
You Both make very good points and the only reason i dident but san jose on there isent because i dont like them and dont think there doing well, its just i cant but everyteam ...therefore i put other

B.g
bablaboushka Posted - 11/13/2006 : 13:55:12
Well you also make good points, but here's how I came to my decision (with a tbsp. of fanship bias):

If the question had been "Who is the best team in the NHL", as much as I would have liked to say San Jose, I couldn't have. Anaheim and Buffalo, as their standings show, are the best teams in the league. Neither has nor needs a superstar to rely on, both have four solid and almost equally-deadly lines and reliable defensemen (maybe Anaheim more than Buffalo). Where Buffalo trumps Anahiem is goaltending.

The question was "Who has the best shot at the Cup?", and well my answer stands with San Jose. Most teams rely on one goalie to lead them through the playoffs, some because they have to and others because they choose to. But when that goalie goes down, how does that team survive? Teams like Anaheim and Carolina got stellar performances from their backups, which sometimes happens but take Edmonton for example. When Roloson got injured, it was up to Markkanen to finish the job. He did come in cold and under intense pressure but he just didn't show playoff figure in the brief stint he had. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a FULL run at it, but when compared to Cam Ward or Ilya Bryzgalov, his performance (even for just the couple games he played) was mediocre at best. The point I'm trying to make is that San Jose has two goalies that are both capable of bringing the Sharks to the Cup. If one starts struggling or gets hurt, no sweat.

If Thornton gets hurt, then sure they will suffer but not as much as they would have last year. He hasn't shown his true colours and Cheechoo has been suffering for it. But this has gone on for quite a few games now, and who better to step up than captain Patrick Marleau? Thornton has a bad rep for being cold come playoff time but it's the opposite for Marleau. His leadership, timely goals (often called Hatrick Marleau) and overall improved presence during the playoffs should eventually earn him a Conn Smythe.

The new game is won on PP and PK (less than last year but still considerably). It's no fluke that San Jose is first in PP and correlatively has one of the best records in the league. At the end of the day, only teams who can stay out of the box have a chance at beating them, and when playoff time rolls around and players will do anything to win... in come the Sharks to make them suffer for it.

The disadvantage that Dallas, Anaheim and San Jose have is that they are 3 of the best teams in the league but they have to play each other 8 times each over the course of the season. This on top of all the travelling they do really sets them back and it's no wonder that the East has been so successful in the past. I truly think the Sharks have what it takes to win the Cup, but I hope they don't wear themselves out before then. If the Cup is won in the East again this year, I think it will serve as a perfect example of why the schedule needs to be changed.
ultimatetitman Posted - 11/13/2006 : 13:15:20
Pretty tough to argue with bablaboushka, he makes some very good points... but I will.
How about Buffalo? First in the league in points, even though they have played 2-4 fewer games than the next four teams, and 2 fewer than San Jose. They've lost ONE game in regulation and have 29 of a possible 32 points. Hell, they have yet to lose on the road.
Their Goals For to Goals Against ratio is +26. Only Anaheim really comes close at +22, and they have played two more games than Buffalo.
And that's all with a mediocre PP% and PK%. What are they going to be like if that all starts clicking?
What's going to happen to San Jose if Thornton gets hurts? Most can't name more than 2-3 Sabres (name a winger or a d-man, quick!), yet they are the best team in the league.
I don't dismiss San Jose, but I am not sure they have the best chance to win the Cup. I'm not even sure they can win their division, let alone the conference.
You have presented yourself as an avid SJ fan, so it's a bit tough to remain objective when your team has a real shot at the Cup. As a Canucks fan, it's a bit easier... oy!
Guest4044 Posted - 11/13/2006 : 13:04:09
snif snif
bablaboushka Posted - 11/13/2006 : 07:06:43
Well the poll is locked but I'm appalled that Dallas and San Jose aren't on that list by default. San Jose has the 4th most points in the league and Dallas is 6th. My vote would always be for the Sharks:

-Best goalie duo in the league (who else could rotate their goalies every other game)
-Best top two lines in the league (where the second line outscores the first, who even has a couple superstars on it)
-Best road and overall powerplay in the league (not one SH goal against to boot)
-Some of the best young defensemen in the game (especially Matt Carle)

(Edit - The poll isn't locked anymore)

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page