Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Best of the Next Level Down

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 03/01/2008 : 06:43:57
Create your own First All "Semi-Star" Team with these criteria:

1) Player must have played at least 500 NHL regular season games (can be an active player or a retired player who played in the last 40 years)
2) Player must never have actually been named to a First or Second All Star team, or be in the Hall of Fame (Edit - which of course also means that Norris and Hart winners are out)
3) Player must have less than 1000 career points

Note - a little pet peeve of mine
- Be strict about position - don't name some guy who obviously was a center as a winger or vice versa - and if a guy was a right winger and you want to name him he should be your right winger, not your left winger just because you want to include some other guy as your right winger

p.s. It is exactly one year since I joined this site. This anniversary topic is a tribute of mine to all the little guys (or at least, "next level down" guys).

Edit - check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_All-Star_Team for list of All-Star teams over the years

- you'll see that one of favorite players ever, John Tonelli, was selected in the early 80s, so he wouldn't qualify for this list - but a guy like Bob Nystrom would
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andyhack Posted - 03/09/2008 : 06:58:24
Well, I have to admit, this is tough. If a whole team takes too long, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on just a particular position (for example, who would be your center under this criteria?). You can give two answers, one for current players and one for retired players.

My First All "Semi-Star Team (amongst retired players) is:

Center - Butch Goring
Left wing - Brian Sutter
Right Wing - Jean Pronovost
Defence - Kevin Lowe
Defence - Carol Vadnais
Goalie - Mike Palmateer (Edit - maybe this should be Andy Moog - I'm a bit surprised that he never even got on a 2nd All-Star Team)

andyhack Posted - 03/03/2008 : 06:03:54
Names from the past to consider for this (came to me in my sleep):

Derek Sanderson
Terry O'Reilly
Dirk Graham

By the way, interesting to note that Jeremy Roenick was never named to an All-Star team - was edged out in his best years (early 90s) by Luc Robitaille and Kevin Stevens. BUT, he has more than 1000 points so he doesn't qulaify for this.

nashvillepreds Posted - 03/02/2008 : 07:22:41
Now you tell me, I could've finished

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
andyhack Posted - 03/02/2008 : 05:24:23
Beans, whatever you are thinking right now at this moment, I just have to disagree with it!

I'm glad you like the idea. It's not so easy. A lot of really good hockey players over the years still meet these qualifications. Some from the past which come to mind this Sunday morning, in no particular order and not by poisition, are:

Rick MacLeish
Don Marcotte
Walt Tkachuk
Ian Turnbull
Claude Lemieux (though he might get in the Hall one day - has been nominated)
Esa Tikkanen
Pit Martin
Gary Unger
Red Berenson
Brian Sutter
Rejean Houle, Pierre Mondou, Mario Tremblay and other second/third line Habs from the '70s

And am I missing him or was Curtis Joseph never named to an All-star team?
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2008 : 18:23:42
Gotta count on my man Andyhack to make a guy really think about hockey!! Wicked awesome idea!! I have to put some thought into this. Not only to create a good team but also to get something else for Andy and I to disagree about. It's been about a week since we have passed back posts about how neither of us sees the other's point!!!

andyhack Posted - 03/01/2008 : 09:02:19
Thanks Nash.

Actually, you only need to make an All-star team like they do for the first and second teams. In this case, just a first team (though if you want to show a second team too, no problem).

So a team would look like this for example (this is not my team - just an example - though some of them are names I have been considering):

Center - Butch Goring
Left wing - Bob Bourne
Right Wing - Jean Pronovost
Defence - Adam Foote
Defence - Carol Vadnais
Goalie - Mike Palmateer
nashvillepreds Posted - 03/01/2008 : 08:54:46
Happy anniversary Andy!

My team:

Steve Thomas Olli Jokinen Marian Hossa
Daniel Briere Owen Nolan
Steve Sullivan Marc Savard Ziggy Palffy
Jason Arnott

I will complete this list later. nice idea Andy.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page