Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Tampa Bay
 Would Tampa be better off trading the 1st Pick ?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 13:10:30
Would the Lightning be better off trading the first overall pick in the 2008 draft instead of taking Steven Stamkos? Tampa is in shambles, and currently has the worst prospects in their system compared to the rest of the NHL. Besides Lecavalier and St. Louis (and Boyle can be argued to a point) there is not even marginal skill on this Lightning roster.

Think about it. If the Lightning trade the first pick they can fill up some holes in thier roster. This could include another solid defenseman, maybe a good, solid checking player and a later first round pick. In the draft. Or it can go for a solid goalie. Which ever way you look at it, Tampa is in a win-win situation.

But I'll let u decide!

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest7652 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 12:38:13
70 points
94 points
61 points
102 points
83 points

I see inconistency so sure gostarsgo you might be right he might stop producing at really high level but beans also brought up good point that he plays pk, pp and tons of minutes a night. He is 33 years old which isnt too bad but it would be smart to trade him in a couple of years or now to get high talent. Personally from the looks of it to me St. Louis has a bad year then a good year on the stats sheet as for this year it wasn't very good from the looks of it as he did go 24 games without a goal. So for you 2 tools, little argument you both tie as you both brrought up some good points.
Guest4210 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 12:34:23
TB should keep both ears open at the draft, BUT, I think they would be crazy to deal it unless they got something huge. Many of the teams improving now did so by keeping their picks (i.e. Montreal, Philly, Pitts, etc). Others like the Leafs are good examples of what can happen when you deal picks away
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 10:24:19
quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

Ya i was probably taking that one too far thanks for pointing that out. However both of them are constantly in trade rumors. St. Louis seems to be winding down after his hart trophy win a few years back they should trade him now before he just completly stops being a producer.

Go Stars!!!

For sure. I mean, the guy was only like 10th in the league in scoring this year. He's missing only 2 games over the past 5 season and through that time he's played 408 games and has 410 points. 53 PP goal and 21 PK goal and is a plus player through that time. The 4 of the 5 years his team has made the playoffs he has 48 points in 45 games. The guy played PP, PK and even strength and is one of the 5 fastest guys in the league. And, he's locking into a contract for another 3 seasons for $5 million, $4 million, and $4 million.

What kind of moron GM in their right mind would want to keep a player like that???
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/25/2008 : 20:27:54
Ya i was probably taking that one too far thanks for pointing that out. However both of them are constantly in trade rumors. St. Louis seems to be winding down after his hart trophy win a few years back they should trade him now before he just completly stops being a producer.

Go Stars!!!
PainTrain Posted - 04/25/2008 : 10:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

If Smith performs well then I think the Bolts could trade Stamkos for someone and they could have a chance to win now. Or they can keep Stamkos, trade Lecaviler and St. Louis and build around Stamkos.

Go Stars!!!

Why would you trade Lecavalier? He is the franchise for that team. Yes Stamkos is good but Lecavalier is their team. They have to build around Lecavalier. Trading St.Louis isn't a bad idea because you can get a good D-man and a Forward in return but throwing away both of them is just plain idiotic!
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/25/2008 : 06:54:32
If Smith performs well then I think the Bolts could trade Stamkos for someone and they could have a chance to win now. Or they can keep Stamkos, trade Lecaviler and St. Louis and build around Stamkos.

Go Stars!!!
Beans15 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 17:23:41
There is no way in help that a GM today would sell the farm for this years first round pick. Seriously, there is not a player that I have heard of that is coming this year (or next for that matter) that is a Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin type player.

Tampa could shop their pick around, but I don't think they will get the value out of it that some think. Stamkos is no doubt a good player and will be a NHLer, but not a superstar immediately. That is the only way a team would give up two good players and a late 1st round pick.

I just can't see it happening.

And while we are on the subject, Tampa had a bad year but I don't see them as bad as some on here do. They have more than St. Louis and Lecavalier and Boyle. The pick up of Jokinen and Halpren was solid. Paul Ranger had a solid year as did young Shane O'Brien. Throw in Chris Gratton, Philip Kuba, Andre Roy, and Michell Oullett.

They have a decent core. They still need to add some pieces and goaltending is definately still a question (I don't think Smith is a #1), but they are not as "horrible" as they played this year.

I think there is more of an issue with the coach and the ownership in Tampa than the boys with the sticks on the ice.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 14:13:44
the guest is kindof right. i mean yeah people want to have guys like stamkos but they need goalies. i liek smith but not as 'number 1 because since their other goales suck looks like hes gunna play like 65 games if they dont get another goalie. so i would trade the first pick for a goalie and a couple good players because they have boyle who is a good defenseman and vinne and marty so if they get better goaltending defence and forwards they're not going to be a playoff team again.

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

SuperSakic Posted - 04/24/2008 : 13:57:16
Very good topic leafsfan!
I think that Tampa SHOULD shop around their first pick and see what they can get. If they get something good in return (remember the Que/Phi deal for Lindros?) they should take it! If no one wants Stamkos (or Doughty, who I think has every right to be number one as well) THAT badly, then keep the pick. I think they may be able to pry some good stuff out of Vancouver, as that city looks to make big noise in the wheeling and dealing of players.
Guest6406 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 13:48:57
If I could get a goalie and a later first round pick for my number 1 draft pick I would have to do it in a heart beat. Tampa needs a tender in the worst way. Smith is not the answer.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page