Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 How Many Career Goals for Ovechkin?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KeithQuinn Posted - 05/13/2008 : 15:13:18
When Ovie is done his career how many goals do you think he will have?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
umteman Posted - 03/08/2017 : 05:18:59
well time flies - I wasn't even aware he was in his 12th season. If someone had asked me I would have said he was in about his 9th season. Where do the years go?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
leigh Posted - 03/07/2017 : 12:30:02
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

....If he's lucky enough to play for around 15 years (which is a VERY long career!) I think he might reach 600-650.

Looks like my prediction of 650 goals at 15 years will be spot on. Sigh, it's hard to be so humble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsNunGnqE0
umteman Posted - 03/07/2017 : 10:38:27
Wow, I didn't know that he was over 500 already - I had thought he was around 400 now.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
n/a Posted - 03/07/2017 : 09:05:41
Interesting thread for sure.

Ovie's at 552 goals in almost 12 seasons . . . not bad! My guess of "around 700" doesn't sound so nuts now, unbelievable as that number is to put up as a prediction.

He loves the game, is in great shape, can still skate, and his shot is still there. Still a premier goal scorer, and as goal scorers go, obviously there is drop off eventually . . . and there has been a bit of a drop-off already, but not a dramatic one. Will he keep playing while only scoring 20 goals a season? My guess is yes, he will . . . because he loves hockey.

What will likely cut short his NHL record is not retirement from hockey, but leaving to play for the KHL at some point - will it be in three years? 5? I think it's just a countdown to that day.

I'm sticking with "around 700", looking good so far!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
umteman Posted - 03/06/2017 : 13:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

This is one of the thread I loved to see mature as the player aged. Imagine a time when Ovechkin was in doubt for 500 goals for a career.

Agreed. Hopefully Admin will archive this one for future reference. Always interesting to look back and laugh at what little you knew!

umteman Posted - 03/06/2017 : 12:04:37
I voted 500 - 600 for the reasons others have mentioned plus it is unlikely that he will have as skilled a team around him all his career. After all it is harder to score goals if your team spends more time trying to get the puck out of their own end.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/06/2017 : 11:17:10
This is one of the thread I loved to see mature as the player aged. Imagine a time when Ovechkin was in doubt for 500 goals for a career.
n/a Posted - 05/21/2008 : 07:26:33
I am guessing that he gets around 700, anything more than that and he would have to have a very injury-free career.

He has an amazing nose for the net, and fantastic skill, but like others have said, he plays very, very physical. Eventually he will have to soften his style I am sure . . . I t looks like if he plays ten years, he will easily get over 500 - but it's so hard to predict the future when one unlucky injury can change the whole thrust of a career.

Should be fun to watch and see, though!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
leigh Posted - 05/21/2008 : 01:05:31
quote:
Originally posted by KeithQuinn
you who voted 400-500
no way he already has 163 g in only 3 years round that off to 55 g a year play for at least 17 sesons with him not being a baby like someone cough crsoby cough that = out to 935 goals in only 17 years go figure

I doubt very much that he will even come close to 900 goals. Wayne Gretzky played for 21 years and only reached 894, but he had 149 in his first 3 years. And take a look at Mike Bossy; in his 3rd season he was at 173 goals and he finished his career with 573 in 10 years.

Both Gretzky and Bossy played non-physical games and neither one of them could reach the 900 mark. One had a super long career and is the league's highest goal getter overall (and in a single season with 92 goals!) While the other was probably the most prolific scorer of all time...but had a short career due to injuries.

Now look at Bure; 154 goals in his first 3 years. His style is similar to Ovechkin's; fast, intense, physical - a powerful goal scorer! What did he finish his career with? 437 goals! He started to get injury prone in his 4th year by the way.

My point is, while Ovechkin's pace looks good for 900+ goals right now, it will be nearly impossible for him to keep it up for an extended period of time. The odds are stacked immensely against him. ESPECIALLY considering the physical game he plays. His body will not stand up to that kind of punishment over time.

If he's lucky enough to play for around 15 years (which is a VERY long career!) I think he might reach 600-650.
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 05/20/2008 : 22:59:41
I'll have to say 700-800 because he is a Russian and I think he is pretty close too his prime. Another good reason is the goalie and defense will probably be much better then right now soo it will be harder for him too score goals.
pokermatt12 Posted - 05/19/2008 : 18:20:06
Scary to think about but ovechkin hasn't even reached his prime yet. I bet you he'll reach 500 goals by the time he's 30 (pending injuries). He seems like a durable guy though, as he's only missed a couple games in his 3 year career.

He who controls the present controls the past; he who controls the past controls the future.
Beans15 Posted - 05/19/2008 : 17:42:04
I don't think it is unreasonable to think the Ovechkin can be in the 600+ Club. He just loves scoring goals too much to be denied.

Fly may be right, and he may coast, but if he doesn't he could go down as one of the best ever.

Pretty interesting that Gretzky said he can see Ovechkin breaking the single season record. Pretty big praise and credit in this day and age coming from WG.

Just like Fly says, wait and see.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/19/2008 : 17:26:56
hey fly4apuckguy is back!!!!

Leafsfan_94

fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/19/2008 : 17:10:44
I voted 400-500 because Russian stars have a tendency to flake out after a few years, be chronically injured, etc.

Ovy may be a different breed though.

I'll believe it when I see it.
KeithQuinn Posted - 05/14/2008 : 15:00:57
quote:
Originally posted by KeithQuinn

When Ovie is done his career how many goals do you think he will have?

you who voted 400-500
no way he already has 163 g in only 3 years round that off to 55 g a year play for at least 17 sesons with him not being a baby like someone cough crsoby cough that = out to 935 goals in only 17 years go figure

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page