Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Ryan Malone- Overated?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 05/21/2008 : 04:12:00
I find Ryan Malone to be one of, if not the most overated player in the NHL. When you have guys like Crosby, Malkin and Hossa playing around there is a huge probabillity that your point totals are going to skyrocket. Heck I could pickup a few points playing with those guys. I just dont think that the skillset is there for this guy.

What do you think?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest0712 Posted - 02/21/2009 : 15:43:00
pit misses him
Guest9544 Posted - 02/21/2009 : 02:29:35
I like Malone but he hasn't done anything without Pittsburgh, guess we know where his hearts at in the beautiful hockey home of the Penguins
Guest4179 Posted - 05/28/2008 : 21:55:20
Malone had 35pts in the last 41 games of the season. This is a 70pt pace. So far in the playoffs he has averaged a point per game. Yes he has good players around him, but many players have been tried with Malkin and Crosby (especially with Crosby) and failed to put up good numbers. Malone is holding his own and plays in every situation. To call him over rated is harsh. He's a decent allround player.
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 05/27/2008 : 21:00:02
I said somewhat overrated he does play with Malkin and Sykora as the official line, he isnt too skilled but he is a grinder who has some talent who can score. I do have to admit that anyone can score with guys like Crosby,Hossa,Malkin, and Gonchar thats the only reason why he gets all of those goals. I think he would fit better as a 3rd liner not a 2nd liner but who cares because he has great chemstry with Malkin and Sykora.
Guest6841 Posted - 05/27/2008 : 08:29:43
i totally think he is over-rated, he has played with Crosby for 3 seasons and Malkin for 2. He's been a avg 45 point scorer over those seasons, he hasn't even scored 30 goals in a season and even before Crosby and Malkin were there he was still avg the same totals. totally over-rated in my mind
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/26/2008 : 08:23:06
This isn't about if he is a good player or not, it's about if he is overrated. Overpayment and overrated can go hand in hand, case and point Bryan McCabe.

Malone was nonexistent in Game 1, but so were the likes of Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury's skating ability coming onto the ice. Let's see what happens in Game 2......
n/a Posted - 05/26/2008 : 06:26:24
Leafsfan101 - So, because Malone is asking for 4 mil, he isn't as good a player? Your logic is impeccably . . . illogical.

Maybe your confusion lies between two terms: overrated, and overpaid.

Personally, I think all hockey players in the NHL (every single one) is overpaid. I don't think they should be making the money they are making, but that's just my humble opinion.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/24/2008 : 07:39:21
He doesn't happen to be a very good one then. He's asking for 4 mil in his next contract. Who would pay him that?
PainTrain Posted - 05/23/2008 : 15:04:54
I didn't say he was better. Not at all! But what I did say was that every team has one of those players that will go to the net and grind it down low and take the price to win. Ryan Malone happens to be the one for Pittsburgh.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/23/2008 : 12:55:09
Can you really compare Malone to Morrow, Holmstrom or Hartnell. Hartnell yes, but I see Holmstrom and Morrow better then Malone by a long shot. I heard Malone is asking for 4 mil, and any team that pays him that is just dumb. If I wanted someone like Malone but more valuable this offseasonSean Avery is the guy, no question.
PainTrain Posted - 05/22/2008 : 20:29:02
I don't think he is over rated. He is a great penalty killer and is good at screening the goalie. He works hard and is very gritty. Every good team needs one of those gritty, screening players. Detroit=Tomas Holmstrom Philadelphia=Scott Hartnell Dallas=Brendan Morrow. Every team has one and Ryan Malone is Pittsburgh's.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
n/a Posted - 05/22/2008 : 04:37:35
I don't want to be Malone's lawyer or anything, but if you haven't been following Pittsburgh games at all, or haven't even watched one Pittsburgh game in the playoffs this year - why comment?

If you are ignorant, don't tell us your opinion - simple!

Malone has been playing with Malkin and Sykora since Hossa's arrival, not Crosby. Malone was a 22 goal scorer before Crosby and then Malkin came along. Malone also plays special teams, both power play and shorthanded.

In short, he is a versatile player, and would have been considered a decent 2nd liner. In this playoffs, he has picked it up a notch, and putting up first line numbers - 6 goals (2 gwg), 15 points in 14 games.

That is all.

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 17:40:58
I know your just kidding but if you ever have sat ice level you see just how fast they are we'd all probably unless theres a hockey superstar on the forums get completly torn apart out there.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 17:10:44
ok maybe not 10 goals....... a little bit of sarcasm there lol

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

i said somewhat overrated. he is a good player but i dont think hes amazing. and LRP i agree when you playu on lines with the good young kids on pittsbugh. as a goalie i can even say i may get like 10 goals a 82 game season.

Leafsfan_94

Leafsfan_94

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 17:10:07
i said somewhat overrated. he is a good player but i dont think hes amazing. and LRP i agree when you playu on lines with the good young kids on pittsbugh. as a goalie i can even say i may get like 10 goals a 82 game season.

Leafsfan_94

Guest9536 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 17:06:21
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I'm defiantly not on the Malone bandwagon.

I'm curious, do you really mean to say "defiantly"? Or do you mean to say "definitely".
leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 13:29:13
I'm defiantly not on the Malone bandwagon. Playing with Crosby and Malkin, or more recently Hossa, I can't give him a fair judgement. A pylon looks like a superstar playing with Crosby, and looks like a solid player if he plays with Malkin. It's hard to tell.

I've only watched Malone a few times, an he hasn't been spectacular. Even fewer times I've watched him when he isn't playing the Leafs. This season I've followed the Wings games more often, so I've seen little of Malone.

So far I can only say a few things about him. He's a durable guy that can adapt to many different situations (eg. is okay playing center or wing) and is a smart player with the puck.

I think we could probably insert any name with Sidney Crosby and the evaluation would be very similar. All I have to say is this is Malone's chance to prove he is a good player. I'll be focusing on him in the fnals this year. For sure.
n/a Posted - 05/21/2008 : 07:16:47
Personally, I have been surprised and impressed by Malone this playoffs - far exceeded my expectations, and he is a key cog in the Pen's playoff machine.

I would actually say, don't sell him short like I did - he is really coming into his own, unlike many others who WERE ALSO given a chance to play with Malkin, Crosby and Sykora (Hossa hasn't been there long enough). No, I say, kudos to him - he's better than I gave him credit for.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page