Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Tampa Bay
 Tampa Bay fires Tortorella!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 06/03/2008 : 17:40:25
I guess it's not too surprising but John Tortorella was let go today.

He still had a year on his contract but the club decided to part ways anyway. I think the players jsut stopped listening to him. I mean you can only take so much yelling and eventually you're going to tune out. Do you guys think this was a smart move by the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Here is the article: http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7011155636
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 06/06/2008 : 14:05:23
Rumor has it is that San Jose is looking to interview Tortorella for their vacant head coaching job.

And seriously, unless you have seen video of practice, been at practice, or played for Tortorella, you have no idea what kind of coach he is. Most people say that Keenan is very hard on players, so is Hitchcock. There are two of the most effective coaches in the league today.

It might be a bad analogy, but does anyone out there watch Hell's Kitchen? The Chef involved is a guy by the name of Gordon Ramsey, who appears to be possibly be the worst guy in the world to work for. What do the people who work for or who had worked for him say?? He did made them better and the best at what they did. Nothing but respect.

Like him or not, Tortorella coached a team with literally one line and a hot goalie to the Stanley Cup only a few years ago.
PainTrain Posted - 06/06/2008 : 09:21:20
I had a coach once that was like John Tortorella. Very loud! And whenever you made a mistake let's say turning the puck over in the defensive zone, this coach would flip on us. So eventually we all just got so scared to make a mistake. I think that might have been a reason why they fired Tororella. Players were getting afraid to make mistakes because they know that if they do their coach will yell and give it to them. Might not be the right reason but just a possibility.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 15:40:34
I'm not sure on this one. I think Tortorella was one of the few coaches who tried to do what I think a coach at that level is supposed to do, get the most out of what you have on your team. After instilling your system on the team, that is the next big hurdle in my opinion. These are players who already know the game, have been extensively coached and taught at various levels and now need to play as a team to accomplish their goals.
I liked the fact that he was 'vocal' with his players, sometimes I think that is also necessary to 'motivate'. If it works, good on him, when it doesn't, maybe it's more the player than the coach, seen it before and we will probably see it again.
I also can appreciate what he did for the team regarding taking any heat off of the players and focusing it on himself. When he was berating the media, and vice versa, he was allowing the players to focus on hockey and not on the peripheral stuff.
Did this get old in Tampa? probably.
Unfortunately, I think Tampa's problems are way deeper than Tortorella and a new coach won't make a difference, hope I'm wrong, Vinny deserves better.
He reminds of Mike Keenan in his earlier days and I think a lot of teams that fired him, wish they didn't, so I am not sure.
willus3 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 11:52:31
About time. The guy is an idiot. Yelling and screaming at your players is foolish. Maybe he could get into the military and have a fine career as a drill sergeant.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 11:40:09
I think the only reason that Tampa fired was Torts was because it says something to the fans, with that message being we are bringing change. It's easier to say your changing by firing a coach then building a whole new roster, isn't it?
SuperSakic Posted - 06/04/2008 : 11:26:29
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Good move by Tampa! Honestly, I would like to see the Leafs pick him up! I think they need a coach who isn't afraid of the media and isn't afraid of the players. I think Tortorella could maybe bring some life back into the dead team!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Being a Habs fan, I would have watched the "Laughs" play just to watch Tortorella.
Beans15 Posted - 06/03/2008 : 22:16:18
I was listening to a report on this and the guy who was talking was from Tampa Bay. He was saying that Tortorella is a total gamer. Highly competative, highly prepared, and a good solid coach. I tend to agree. I personally think that Tampa would not have been a better team last year with a different coach.

I think this was a little unfair and unwarranted. I like Tortorella as a coach as well as his interviews. Few people in hockey actually say what they are thinking. Might not have agreed with everything he said, but he spoke his mind which I respect.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 06/03/2008 : 17:45:09
Good move by Tampa! Honestly, I would like to see the Leafs pick him up! I think they need a coach who isn't afraid of the media and isn't afraid of the players. I think Tortorella could maybe bring some life back into the dead team!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page