Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Detroit
 Jimmy Howard?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/14/2008 : 15:02:16
theres talk around the NHL about since hasek is retiring.....jimmy howard may come up from grand rapids to be their backup. do you think he is ready? i believe he has been waiting for like 3 years now so give me your opinion.

Leafsfan_94

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 10/03/2008 : 02:11:17
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Guest2746

Anybody that plays with Detroit while the team has good health will likely end up having an impressive year. Take Hasek for example, he is the biggest waste of money in the NHL but he still won the Willian Jennings trophy along with Osgood didn't he? As long as Detroit has a healthy team Conklin will come will end the season with a major improvement on his career stats.

DETROIT

I completely agree, you could throw ne1 between the pipes for that team and they wouldnt have bad numbers.

and that right there means that he is just a fair goalie sitting in the right circumstance....poor Scott Clemmensen.
Axey Posted - 10/02/2008 : 15:31:38
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2746

Anybody that plays with Detroit while the team has good health will likely end up having an impressive year. Take Hasek for example, he is the biggest waste of money in the NHL but he still won the Willian Jennings trophy along with Osgood didn't he? As long as Detroit has a healthy team Conklin will come will end the season with a major improvement on his career stats.

DETROIT

I completely agree, you could throw ne1 between the pipes for that team and they wouldnt have bad numbers.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Guest2746 Posted - 10/01/2008 : 14:55:41

DETROIT
99pickles Posted - 07/15/2008 : 13:51:50
What Conklin did last year was the epitome of a hot streak, or 'flash' as beans aptly stated. A career journeyman back-up who has floated from team to team gets hot for a few weeks...I mean don't get me wrong - I was happy for the guy. He has proven himself as a solid back-up (finally?) but there's a good chance that he just finished enjoying the high point of his whole career.

Here's a nice example of a hot flash: In his fifth season Brian Boucher pitched 5 straight shutouts. He had been doing just fine up until that point establishing himself as an NHL caliber starter. His fifth consecutive shutout was on Jan.9th/2004. In the 4 1/2 years since that day he has appeared in 65 NHL games (56 starts, 8 relief appearances, and 1 playoff start). Put into perspective: last season Martin Brodeur had 77 starts altogether.

Somehow I think Conklin will resume his journeyman back-up role.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/15/2008 : 13:41:06
true..i guess but i still think he'll have a good year.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

That is the reason why we talk about hockey and are not GM's.

There is a reason why Conklin only got a $750,000 contract for one year. He is completely unproven. He's a 32 year old goalie who has played for 5 teams in 6 seasons and has spend time in the AHL in each one of those seasons.

Prior to his "flash" with Pitt last year, he had a career record of 30-32-4-8 and a career GAA of 2.60.

That, in my opinion, is a lump. I had the displeasure of watching him play in Edmonton and he was crap.

Leafsfan_94

Beans15 Posted - 07/15/2008 : 11:37:41
That is the reason why we talk about hockey and are not GM's.

There is a reason why Conklin only got a $750,000 contract for one year. He is completely unproven. He's a 32 year old goalie who has played for 5 teams in 6 seasons and has spend time in the AHL in each one of those seasons.

Prior to his "flash" with Pitt last year, he had a career record of 30-32-4-8 and a career GAA of 2.60.

That, in my opinion, is a lump. I had the displeasure of watching him play in Edmonton and he was crap.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/15/2008 : 01:11:11
your right conklin is with them now.but beans didnt you see the way he played in pittsburgh? i know the pens are good but i saw him make some oustanding saves

Leafsfan_94

Guest4451 Posted - 07/14/2008 : 20:16:46
Considering it is possible for goalies to develop, Gary, I place more importance on how Conklin played last season, as opposed to how he played before last season. I too thought he was a useless goalie but after what he did last season, I think he is better than a lump, do you not agree?

He was more than good enough to help the Cup runner-ups qualify for the playoffs and the Cup Champions themselves saw him as a useful goalie so he has to at least be better than a lump, no Gary?

Beans15 Posted - 07/14/2008 : 17:25:21
Conklin's a lump. He has had literally 20 good NHL games. Previous to his time in Pitt he was barely even a back up.

I would go with Howard just to spite, but I think you are right that Conklin will be the back up.

But he is a crap goalie.
Guest6622 Posted - 07/14/2008 : 16:10:42
As you may or may not know, the Wings signed Ty Conklin, so I personally would not count on Howard being the Wings' NHL backup this upcoming season.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page