Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Do you hate the Maple Leafs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Canucks Man Posted - 01/16/2007 : 11:00:15
Do You hate the Leafs and Why?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/11/2010 : 06:06:53
That's enough of the abusive language everyone.

Once you have resorted to namecalling, it only signals to others that you have lost the argument entirely.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
sharksfan44 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 19:16:13
wow, lets all calm down
Guest9494 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 18:55:41
50brent=duster
50brent Posted - 01/10/2010 : 18:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

50brent = brentrock2

nuff said.....

alex116 = total [ moderator edit - abusive language ]

ur a [ moderator edit - personal attack, abusive language ]

thanks
Leafs81 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 07:40:36
Right now??? Yes I hate them...

And as for Luke Schenn, give this guy a chance he's still very young and as a lot of time to improve. I hate it when a guy makes the NHL at 18 or 19 years old and people are all over them because they are not playing like a veteran player. I mean exceptions comes around, but not everybody is a Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Doughty.

It's only his second year in the NHL and he's 20 years old. Some guys makes the NHL at a young age and it seems like they wont develop, but a lot of guys only goes in the NHL at 21 or 22 years old, like Bobby Ryan.

I'm not saying Luke Schenn is a futur star player but if he can become a solid shut down defenseman with a bunch of hits and block shots every season. Well that's what I want from him and a Leader or Captain doesn't have to be the most skilled guy or the guy who racks up the most point. You have to be a leader in the dressing room, on the ice, to come out and play your heart out every night, stand up for your teamates, and be a spokeperson for the media. I think with age Schenn can have those attributes and be the captain while being the 3rd or 4th defense on the team. I'm not saying he will be but he as the potential, we'll see. And give this guy a break he's still young. And honnestly he's having a bad year, but not that bad, a lot of nights that I watch them play he's very solid, and other nights he's just not there making mistakes. But that's consistency that he needs to work on.
Guest6336 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 01:17:17
I'm a Sens fan and was during the huge playoff rivalries between Ottawa and Toronto. I have to hate them =D.
Alex116 Posted - 01/08/2010 : 01:03:54
50brent = brentrock2

nuff said.....
irvine Posted - 01/07/2010 : 18:01:59
Do I hate the Maple Leafs? ...Nope.

I am an Ottawa Senators fan, the Leafs are our local rivals, but I don't hate them. I hate no NHL team. :P

I just don't care to see them win, ever. lol.

---

Also, did I read somewhere on here, that somebody thinks Luke Schenn will wear the Maple Leafs 'C'? If he does, it will not be for another few years, if ever.

This guy has been scratched for a few games as of late for his terrible play, so i'm guessing he's not a big leader either. Though, I could be wrong. I've never been in the Leafs dressing room.

Irvine/prez.
Thrasher Posted - 01/07/2010 : 16:49:50
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

I would have to say.. yeah. All Toronto teams suck and ALL Montreal teams rock! The reason I hate Toronto because they don't do very good each year, losers since 67' and they don't have much star players.

Montreal has a couple good/star players like Cammaleri, Gomez, Gionta and Plekanec. These are players that stand out in the Habs games! Therefore Toronto... I can't really seem to pick out any star players on the team but I can pick out a couple of good players like Blake, Kaberle, Grabovski, Ponikarosky, Hagman and Stempniak. These players are not really what you call "Star Players" but I would call these players "Good". I would give Cammaleri, Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec and others like "Great".

I can see that Cammaleri will be offered the "C" soon. Anyways thats who I want to have the "C" on their jersey. I think I heard some people talking about that Luke Schenn might be offered captain? Not sure though?

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Wow.

Get your head out of where the sun don't shine. The great/star/good players on the Leafs/Habs? Cammaleri is the only one on the Habs you mention being worthy of called a star. Gomez is paid like one, Gionta is a good, solid player, and Plekanec? He's having a great season so he's a star player? The best player Montreal has is Markov. He is a star player. Kaberle and Kessel are far more "star" worthy players than anyone but Cammy and Markov. Montreal just has more depth, and better goaltending (actually, every team has better goaltending).

If anyone disagree's, perhaps i will start watching more Leaf games, painful as that may be. No team should ever let Dan Carcillo score a goal like that. Ever. Period.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
50brent Posted - 01/07/2010 : 15:32:07
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

I would have to say.. yeah. All Toronto teams suck and ALL Montreal teams rock! The reason I hate Toronto because they don't do very good each year, losers since 67' and they don't have much star players.

Montreal has a couple good/star players like Cammaleri, Gomez, Gionta and Plekanec. These are players that stand out in the Habs games! Therefore Toronto... I can't really seem to pick out any star players on the team but I can pick out a couple of good players like Blake, Kaberle, Grabovski, Ponikarosky, Hagman and Stempniak. These players are not really what you call "Star Players" but I would call these players "Good". I would give Cammaleri, Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec and others like "Great".

I can see that Cammaleri will be offered the "C" soon. Anyways thats who I want to have the "C" on their jersey. I think I heard some people talking about that Luke Schenn might be offered captain? Not sure though?

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

no idea where u heard this but that is one of the craziest things ive heard since schenn being put up on poll for team canadas defence. lucke schenn is not captain material he is having a terrible year, maybe in 10 years if the leafs decide to keep this kid around that long but i am still doubtful hell turn into a #1 defence or a captain
Guest2789 Posted - 01/07/2010 : 14:46:49
I think the fact that the media tries to stuff TO down Canadas throat really pisses everyone off. I live in western Canada and am proud of it. I will never cheer for the Leafs...I am a proud Canadian but if the leafs were playing a USA team in the playoffs(yeah, I know it will never happen)I would cheer for the US team. Toronto and the people in it think the world revolves around them......Westrn Canada has some pretty good people and some damn good hockey teams...so we should get the respect we deserve. Toronto Laffs are the worst managed team in hockey...and it shows.
brentrock2 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 13:57:56

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Guest9655 Posted - 10/24/2009 : 03:36:31
I grew up a habs fan, and thus my personal hatred for the bruins and leafs was instilled at an early age. Though the bruins hate remains somewhat, its not the same anymore. I dont 'hate' teams, only players nowadays.

That said, I couldnt stomach the possibility of the leafs winning a cup, because of all the retarded leafs fans running around talking s*** about it for the next 40 years (we all know they would). Luckily, the team has been a complete trainwreck for over a decade now. Technically they should be getting better since they are a lottery team, but Burke luckily traded the future away for an undersized, injury prone unproven 40 goal scorer. Lol leafs fans, enjoy funding the teachers pension fund forever.
Porkchop73 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 15:31:23
Beans I did not mean to make seem like I mis interpreted your statement, in fact I totally agree with you arguement that youngsters cannot claim their fanhood is due to the storied history of the franchise.
I was only trying to emphasize the realization that this exact arguement has gone on for generation and generation. Started well before our time. I hope that the passion amongst Canadians and fans like the members in these forums goes on for generations to come.
Someday I want to be able to sit and watch the Leafs with my grandson just like I did with my grandfather. Mayber the Leafs will be his favourite team, maybe it won't. Just the same, that is what the game is about to me now.

On a side note it is interesting to see that you and I grew up idolizing the same player. In the early 80's it was hard pressed no matter where you grew up to not see young boys wearing the 99. Even if you favourite team was the Leafs.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 09:32:46
Beans,

I see what you mean. I would just like to say that I think loving the leafs just because you can say "13 cups!" or try to say that the leafs rock because they dominated the 40's is lame, you are right about that, but i think its ok to respect the history of a team as a young person.

I can remember going to Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 90's as a kid and just being in awe of all the old photos on the walls, the old scoreboard above the ice, the banners hanging from the rafters, pretty much anything that celebrated the past. I loved it, it was like the ghosts of the past were in there with us.

Obviously I wasnt around for any of it but I find it interesting and facinating. Celebrating the history of your team is important for future generations so that they know where the team traditions come from and who the legends of your team are.

Its a fine line though, I respect the history of the team, I dont use it as the reason I love the leafs now and I would agree that it is weak to do so

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest4944 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 01:06:48
Was a Maple Leaf fan until 1971 when my Dad took me to see a Montreal Canadiens vs. Nova Scotia Voyageurs exhibition game at the Charlottetown Forum in PEI. It was pre-season and an exhibition game, but the stars of the day played the game. Beliveau, Dryden, LaPointe... The real team that played on TV was the one on the ice in a little rink in PEI... They earned their pay... Been a Habs fan from that day on... Will live and die with the team come hell or high water... Understand Leafs fans passion, just can't feel their frustration... hasn't been that long for us!!! Ha Ha!!!
Guest4944 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 00:57:44
what do you call a group of millionaires sitting around watching the NHL playoffs? The Toronto Maple Leafs!

What do the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs have in common? None of them can play hockey!
Beans15 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 21:59:43
Oh, I would love to leave this one alone but I just can't.

My comment about the 60 yr olds posting on the site has be misinterpreted. Let's me explain:

Ya'll should know by know that I am an Oilers fan. I am in my 30's and grew up in Edmonton. I Idolized Wayne Gretzky.

This should make it very easy to see why I love the Oilers.

Now, I think Leaf fans are great. Passionate, loyal, occasionally illogical in my opinion, but they are who they are. My question is why?? Why be a Leaf fan? Now, there are various reasons. Maybe it was Henderson's goal (by the way, he wasn't a Leaf at the time he scored the goal, he was Canadian like all the other players on that team), maybe it was Sittler. Maybe Sundin. Maybe Belfour. Maybe it because your Dad loves the Leafs. Maybe your Dad hated the Leafs and you liked fighting your Dad.
All of these are great reasons to be a fan of the Leafs. I'm sure I missed many other reasons.

Now, to my point. I think it's a joke for a Leaf fan to say the are a Leaf fan because of the "storied history" unless they are old enough to have been around for at least part of that Storied history. It's no different than my Oiler Brethern younger than say 20 who say they are an Oiler fans because of the 5 Cups. They are not old enough to have remembered the 1st Cup let alone all 5. That's weak.

Love your team for the real reason. A Leaf fan who says they love the Leafs because of their 'storied history' and is 20 years old is a complete poser to me.
n/a Posted - 10/22/2009 : 18:44:37
Porkchop - well stated.

In fact, 'nuff said.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 07:25:53
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Our good member Beans has made the most important statement on this thread. "There are not many 60 yr olds posting on PickupHockey."
You see what everyone fails to realize is that this topic goes way back to even when most of your grandparents were kids. If there were 60 yr olds posting here they would tell you about the wars between the Leafs and Habs fans. The Hawks and Wings fans. The Habs and Bruins fans. The Habs and Rangers fans. The only fan hated more then Leafs fans in the old days were Hab fans. It was a french thing. No disrespect to the francophone members that is just the way it was back then.
I have said before in many topics, this is what makes Canadians so passionate about hockey. We all become so engaged and attached to our favourite teams and players that we develop a hatred for other teams and players.
So I say if you hate the Leafs or any other team its because you love the game!

And Beans this one is for you just because you were knocking the History of the Leafs. It was a Toronto Maple Leaf who scored the greatest goal in Canadian history. You all know who that was.

Yea, not only did Paul henderson score 3 straight game winning goals in '72 (including the series winner, as im sure all of you know) but Darryl Sittler scored the winning goal in the '76 Canada Cup as well. Sittler also has the only 10 point game in NHL history.

hanley6 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 19:32:12
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

I find it amazing that a hockey team can create such a buzz, positive or negative. I know people absolutley hate the leafs, they f***ing hate them. I understand why, there are a thousand reason, most of them have already been covered here.

Im from toronto, born and raised, the leafs have been my team since my whole life. I was fortunate that I was able to really start getting into hockey when the leafs had those 2 playoff runs with Gilmour and Clark. I think that is what cemented my love for the leafs. The years following that the leafs were usually a competitive team with Pat Quinn and Sundin leading the way to playoff appearances virtually every year. There were legit reasons to continue to cheer on the team, they were cracking 100 points or getting very close and they were usually making to the 2nd round at least. Life was good.

Since the lockout we have just held onto blind hope that the team would eventually enter into the new NHL and become a good team again. Obviously, it hasnt happened. Burke coming to town was supposed to signal the beginning of that, and it has gotten off to a rocky start to say the least. It is easier now than probably ever before to bash this team, its stupidly loyal fanbase and everything that goes along with it.

The media bashes the leafs, people in toronto bash the leafs, fans from other teams bash the leafs, people who dont even like hockey bash the leafs. Leaf fans are an island unto themselves now, viewed as people with no sensability and people who are complete suckers. Im fine with that. Whatever.

Ill continue to support the team because im a real fan, i love toronto and i love my leafs.

I dont care if montreal has more cups, i know they have a much richer history, its obvious. I know that the leafs haven't had a real dominant stretch since the 40's and somewhat in the 60's. They have never even had the best player in hockey suit up for them in their prime at all in their history. Its just part of life living here, people on the outside either get it and laugh or just dont get it. Its all good. One day maybe we can hold our heads high again, but its probably a long way off. I just hope i dont die before it happens.

Amen....

I agree with you 120%...
I too will always be a Leafs fan forever good or bad no matter what... That don't mean I will like all their decisions or all there players especially guys like Larry Murphy, Aki Berg, Belak, Lumme, John Kordic, Kris King, Raycroft and now Toskala... But either than certain players I love the Leafs, there is only 1 player on Toronto I can't stand because he never seems to be able to see anything I swear he is blind...I won't mention his name... VESA
Get well soon Gustavsson we need you

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Porkchop73 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 17:36:59
Our good member Beans has made the most important statement on this thread. "There are not many 60 yr olds posting on PickupHockey."
You see what everyone fails to realize is that this topic goes way back to even when most of your grandparents were kids. If there were 60 yr olds posting here they would tell you about the wars between the Leafs and Habs fans. The Hawks and Wings fans. The Habs and Bruins fans. The Habs and Rangers fans. The only fan hated more then Leafs fans in the old days were Hab fans. It was a french thing. No disrespect to the francophone members that is just the way it was back then.
I have said before in many topics, this is what makes Canadians so passionate about hockey. We all become so engaged and attached to our favourite teams and players that we develop a hatred for other teams and players.
So I say if you hate the Leafs or any other team its because you love the game!

And Beans this one is for you just because you were knocking the History of the Leafs. It was a Toronto Maple Leaf who scored the greatest goal in Canadian history. You all know who that was.
Guest5012 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 12:00:35
vanlooser f***ups have never won a stanley cup and that pleases leaf fans greatly : )
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 08:35:02
I find it amazing that a hockey team can create such a buzz, positive or negative. I know people absolutley hate the leafs, they f***ing hate them. I understand why, there are a thousand reason, most of them have already been covered here.

Im from toronto, born and raised, the leafs have been my team since my whole life. I was fortunate that I was able to really start getting into hockey when the leafs had those 2 playoff runs with Gilmour and Clark. I think that is what cemented my love for the leafs. The years following that the leafs were usually a competitive team with Pat Quinn and Sundin leading the way to playoff appearances virtually every year. There were legit reasons to continue to cheer on the team, they were cracking 100 points or getting very close and they were usually making to the 2nd round at least. Life was good.

Since the lockout we have just held onto blind hope that the team would eventually enter into the new NHL and become a good team again. Obviously, it hasnt happened. Burke coming to town was supposed to signal the beginning of that, and it has gotten off to a rocky start to say the least. It is easier now than probably ever before to bash this team, its stupidly loyal fanbase and everything that goes along with it.

The media bashes the leafs, people in toronto bash the leafs, fans from other teams bash the leafs, people who dont even like hockey bash the leafs. Leaf fans are an island unto themselves now, viewed as people with no sensability and people who are complete suckers. Im fine with that. Whatever.

Ill continue to support the team because im a real fan, i love toronto and i love my leafs.

I dont care if montreal has more cups, i know they have a much richer history, its obvious. I know that the leafs haven't had a real dominant stretch since the 40's and somewhat in the 60's. They have never even had the best player in hockey suit up for them in their prime at all in their history. Its just part of life living here, people on the outside either get it and laugh or just dont get it. Its all good. One day maybe we can hold our heads high again, but its probably a long way off. I just hope i dont die before it happens.

Beans15 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 22:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

The whole 4pm start is rediculous, they did it last year for the leafs too when they were in Vancouver, i guess they wanna make sure everyone out east gets to see them lose another game.

Lets go Leafs!!! There first win will be against Vancouver, I hope!!!

Actually, after watching a couple games from both teams this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs pull this one out. Vancouver has been very average this year and Luongo has yet to hit his stride.

Maybe TO can squeeze out an ugly one.
hanley6 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 16:35:16
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

The whole 4pm start is rediculous, they did it last year for the leafs too when they were in Vancouver, i guess they wanna make sure everyone out east gets to see them lose another game.

Lets go Leafs!!! There first win will be against Vancouver, I hope!!!

Guest4803 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 16:20:13
Guest4728 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 14:46:47
Why does every leaf fan think its jealousy? I hate the leafs - and not because I'm jealous of their stanley cups back in '67 - their cup drought is longer than the nucks....

I hate the arrogance of Leaf fans. I hate the arrogance of the leafs... I hate how CBC plays Toronto @ Vancouver games at 4:00PM (7:00EST) because more leaf people can watch. Toronto is catered to by the NHL.

End of the day, I want Toronto to fall off the map - we shoulda told USA to keep it in the 1800's. Toronto is so stuck on itself it's beyond annoying.

I HATE THE TORONTO MAPLE LAUGHS!
Leafs81 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 12:55:31
Ok for me this is weird. Growing up on the east cost (New Brunswick) the Leafs are not a team people talk about. The Habs are, and it bugs the hell out of me. You watch RDS waiting to see the score around the league and they take like 15 minutes out of a 30 minutes program to talk about their CH while they were in practise the day before. And they show the score of the other 10 games in like 5 minutes. Also, most of the french community and also english are Habs fans and thats all you hear all the time. Sometimes we'll have like 3 channels showing the Habs and none showing any other team on TV, because we're in the 'Habs region'. So I've grown at quite an early age to hate them. Not long after I started cheering for the Leafs (92\93) Nobody in my family watch hockey and nobody cared, so I'm not a fan of the Leafs because my father was, or because I grew up in Leafs land, I'm a fan because I didn't want to watch the Canadiens play so the only other option was Toronto on CBC.

So I understand people to hate the Leafs if the media covers them too much or the fans is just taking over their region. Because I'm feeling the same way here towards the Canadiens.

I went to watch the season opener at my cousins place and their was around 10 habs fans and I was the only Leafs fan. And it's like that everywhere I go. I'm sure there's around 15 Habs fans for one Leafs fan here in NB.

And if you look at recent success of the Leafs (since I watch them - 93) they didn't do too bad with 4 appearences to the conference finals. and many franchise players, Potvin, Gilmour, Clark, Andreychuk, Domi, Sundin, Cujo, Kaberle. I could add Mogilny and Belfour. It's just the post lockout that's been really awefull for our team.
Odin Posted - 10/06/2009 : 12:29:21
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:
Originally posted by fanoleaf

All you leaf haters are just envious.

There is no other team in the NHL with the fan base as the buds. What other team in the legue can go into any opposing teams rink and have as many fans cheering for them as the home team has?

It makes me laugh when I hear you leaf haters gripe about the media exposure the buds get. If you don't like watching the leafs game, order NHL Centre Ice and don't be so dammmmm cheap!!!

Even funnier is when leaf haters complain about a game that was shown only on Leafs TV, and they speak about events during the game that would not be picked up on the sports recap shows. So when you hate the leafs so much why would order Leafs TV? or even watch the game?

Closet Leaf fans I would suggest.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry buddy, but you are wrong. Its the Habs who constantly lead in attendance, and they actually have just as many fans cheering for them in opposition rinks as the leafs do.

yeah and almost half of the fans in Montreal are routing for the other team especially when Toronto is there at least half of the fans if not more are routing for the Leafs

Ok, first of all, the term is 'rooting.' Second of all, the EXACT same thing happens when the Habs visit ACC. But your numbers are waaay out. Never have over half the fans cheered for the Leafs in Montreal. They make noise, just like the Habs fans do at the ACC. Get over your homerism will you?
Odin Posted - 10/06/2009 : 12:26:26
quote:

not to mention the Sens!!! how low can you go? The Sens tried to stop Leafs fans from wearing Leafs Jersey's to the Ottawa games because even in the city of Ottawa there are more Leafs fans than sens fans... trying to put a ban on Leafs Jerseys and hat is bulls***. I have news for you Ottawa there are way too many Leafs fans out there you'll never stop us from wearing our favorite teams logo. You are out numbered Ottawa even in Ottawa

OK, Hanley, thats not what actually occured. And they did this with habs jersey's as well. It was an exchange. The Sens offered to exchange Leafs and Habs paraphenlia that was turned in for Sens garb. It wasn't too successful.
Odin Posted - 10/06/2009 : 12:24:14
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:

There is no other team in the NHL with the fan base as the buds. What other team in the legue can go into any opposing teams rink and have as many fans cheering for them as the home team has?

It makes me laugh when I hear you leaf haters gripe about the media exposure the buds get. If you don't like watching the leafs game, order NHL Centre Ice and don't be so dammmmm cheap!!!

Even funnier is when leaf haters complain about a game that was shown only on Leafs TV, and they speak about events during the game that would not be picked up on the sports recap shows. So when you hate the leafs so much why would order Leafs TV? or even watch the game?

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry buddy, but you are wrong. Its the Habs who constantly lead in attendance, and they actually have just as many fans cheering for them in opposition rinks as the leafs do.

No they dont, not league wide.

Actually, yes they do. I have heard other PLAYERS bitching about it.
Odin Posted - 10/06/2009 : 12:17:12
quote:

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question "What other team in the legue can go into any opposing teams rink and have as many fans cheering for them as the home team has?"

Answer: The Habs
brentrock2 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 11:18:49
I HATE I HATE THE MAPLE LEAFS SO MUCH.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Beans15 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 11:11:54
Here's my thing with the "history" of the Leafs.

Let's name off the greatest teams of all time.

50's Habs
60's Habs
70's Habs
Early 70's Bruins
Mid 70's Flyers
Early 80's Islanders
Mid to Late 80's Oilers
Early 90's Penguins
Mid 90's Wings/Stars/Avalanche/Devils
00's Wings

Where are the Leafs?? If you don't know, it was the 40's. They won 6 out of 10 Cups between 41/42 and 50/51. Then again in 61/62 through 66/67 there were 4 Cups in 6 years. Both very respectable times and they belong on the list of Dynasty Teams.

However, we are talking about a team that has won 10 Cups in 25 years (13 Cups in 40 years)in the Original 6 era and literally NOTHING since then.

The Leafs don't have a great history, they have a long history. Very different things. And more than any other team in the league, The Leafs rest on the "Storied History" that has not had any additions in 40 years!

Now, before I get attacked, I give 100% full credit to the Leafs organization along with the other original 6 teams in that they paved the way for hockey. They were the pioneers and deserve praise for that.

Just don't tell me you are a fan of the Leafs because of their 'storied history'. Tell me you are from TO, tell my they were your Dad's team. Tell me you Dad liked the Habs so you had to like the Leafs. Anything. Just don't tell me you are Fan of the "Storied History" Leafs when there is a good chance that you Dad can't remember the Leafs winning their last Cup.

Alex116 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 10:40:05
Matt, you bring up many good points but i think what most other fans hate about the history thing is this: Most of the time when any debate comes up and a Leaf fan gets his/her back up against the wall, they throw the "history card". When all else fails, remind them the Leafs have won cups in the past is the attitude many (not all) Leaf fans take. For example, if you and i started debating/arguing about our teams and you got frustrated and said "yeah, well the Leafs have won the cup many times!", i'd puke. Let's face it, they have a great history, yes, but since my team came around, and that's what i'd be comparing, they haven't exactly done a whole lot. Factor in your age and i would shake my head and try to figure out why you'd bring up a past that you weren't even close to being around for! Don't get me wrong, i don't personally hate Leaf fans for cheering for their team, in fact, i praise Leaf fans like yourself who stick by them for years of futility and don't bandwagon jump to a more successful club. But, i do feel that when you consider most non Leaf fans (Leaf bashers) already hate the media coverage, the overexposure, the "center of the universe" reference, etc, THEN you add fuel to the fire by playing the "history card", it puts some people over the top!

Just my opinion here really, and i do agree all teams have their good fans, bad fans, quirky fans, etc....
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 07:44:41
I dont understand why people hate the fact that leaf fans are proud of the team history, regardless of how dated it is.

Beleive me when I say this, WE KNOW that they havent been very good for 43 years. Aside from a couple years here and there, they havent been a beacon of excellence. We just love the team and aren't afraid to show it. When you have roots that go this deep, generation upon generation of fans sticking by the blue and white hoping for that day of reckoning are going to be all over the place.

The media has capitalized on this obsession and have rammed it down everyones throat. Pissing off the many who are quick to point out the obvious flaws the organization has had over the past 43 years. I get that.

As for the people who point out that "The last time the leafs won the cup there were 6 teams in the NHL, any team around back then would have won countless cups." all I have to say is, why didnt the other 4 teams win more than?

Montreal and Toronto dominated the original six era, chicago only has 3 cups, Boston only won 3 cups during the original 6, and then won 2 more just after it ended. The NYR went 54 years without a cup.... the leafs are only at 43. Chicago hasnt won since 61.

Buffalo, Vancouver, Ottawa, Washington, LA are just a couple teams that have been around a long time now and have never won the big prize. They all have passionate and 'illogical' fans as well yet rip on leaf fans for remembering the 'good ol days'. At least we have good ol days. Sens and Nucks fans cling to their cup final appearance as though they actually won something, therfore making them more succesful than toronto.

Gilmour and Sundin are two recent leafs who i beleive will get into the hall of fame soon, Belfour probably will as well.

What im trying to get at here is I can understand hating toronto because of the media, the over exposure, the management, heck even some of the players but I dont understand the hate on for our history... or the fans for respecting and aknowledging the history of the club. Even if it is dated.

The illogical stuff that is being referred to im going to assume are comments like "Toskala is the worst goalie Evar! Send him to the marlies!" I understand that, but like beans mentioned, every team has fans like that, i just think more leaf fans tend to troll message boards and forums because of the wild obsession with the team.

Guest0925 Posted - 10/05/2009 : 18:32:14
Thanks Beans. I thought I covered the illogical fans, but I probably glossed over it a bit, being a wee bit bespeckled by blue myself, but I don't kid myself. I was a bit more than a decade late to see the leafs lift Stanley so I don't rest on old glories. I just want to see a team iced that's worthy of being hated for good reasons, when hate is mingled with respect.
Beans15 Posted - 10/05/2009 : 18:14:39
Another sensible Leaf fan!! Nice.

You hit the nail on the head for me as far as the reasons I hate the Leafs. Media, management, etc. However, you also missed the illogical Leaf fans that talk about how storied and historic the team is when there are few people that have any recollection of the last Cup some 40ish years ago. Not too many 60+ year old fans who are posting on Pickuphockey. The talk about the HOF players when the last Leaf to hit the Hall is ????? And I mean not a guy who played for the Leafs for a while, an actual Leaf of more than say 5 years???

That's another reason to dislike the Leafs. Illogical fans

(Before you jump on me about it, there are illogical fans for every team. But, as the Leafs more than likely have more fans than any other team it's simple math that says the Leafs also have the most illogical fans as well. Don't hate me, hate math)
Guest7101 Posted - 10/05/2009 : 18:09:57
I am tired of hearing that the maple leafs have a glorious history.

The last time the leafs wont the cup there were 6 teams in the NHL, any team around back then would have won countless cups.
http://shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1967.htm

They have never won three playoff series in the same year, something most nhl teams, including Ottawa, have done.

And for any leafs fan thinking the team out there who still think the team is 'all that':
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page