Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 whad you think??

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hockster Posted - 12/08/2008 : 18:14:30
After watching the flames all my life i think i speak for all when i say that they are the going to win the cup this year. they are so fast and are really hitting a groove so i think that i will make my vote for the cup the calgary flames.

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 12/09/2008 : 14:52:11
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Let me start by reiterating my devotion to the Mighty Oil.

That being said, Calgary has quitely become a contender in this still early part of the season. Real depth in all positions and the talent to go deep. Don't forget having a top 5 goalie in the league doesn't hurt either. (On a side note, to all of you out there who posted on the Top 5 goalies in the league thread and tried to dispute Kiprusoff, shame on you).

There are a few things that will limit Calgary's success. Firstly, their offence goes to sleep for games at a time. They have been doing that for a few years now. This is not an issue if they are flying come playoffs. But, as we seen last year with the Sharks, it can also bite them in the butt. Secondly, the have also shows in the past to not be able to stand up to the cream of the crop. They have not played well agianst the Detroits, San Joses, Anaheims, etc. They have to play as one of the best to beat one of the best. They have a history of playing under their ability against the better teams in the league.

Thirdly, and most importantly, they play in the most competative division in hockey. Not the best, but the most competative. If you look at the other divisions in hockey, you will see a spread in wins between 1st and 5th of 8, 9, 9, 7, and 12 games. In the Northwest there are 3 games between 1st and 5th. This division, as it has for the past number of seasons, will come down to the final week of the season to see who is going to be 3rd in the conference. That is huge in the playoffs, and if Calgary does not get that 3rd seed, I can't see them going past the 2nd round. The team(s) that go to the playoffs in the NW that are not the division leader will more than likely be in a 6th to 8th position. That means Calgary would have to beats at least 2 of Detroit, San Jose, or Anaheim just to get to the conference final. There is an outside chance that any team going through the west would have to beat all three of those teams to get to the Cup.

That a pretty tall order, especially for the Flames. I mean, c'mon, it's not like they are the 2005 Oilers or anything!!!

Sadly Beans, I can't argue with anything you've said (except the Oiler propaganda). But as a Flames fan I can hold out that this is the year Kipper gets back into perfect form, and the secondary scoring actually produces (at the moment of this writing, both appear to be happening ) I'm liking this team and my fingers are crossed.

One thing is for sure, to win the Stanley Cup it's 50% skill and 50% luck! On paper the Flames have the skill in my opinion...so the rest is up to the hockey gods. You can have the best team in the league and all it takes are a couple key injuries, a couple bad bounces, or you run into a hot goalie and you're golfing instead.
tbar Posted - 12/09/2008 : 14:08:58
Quit living in the past beans jk. You make a good point the only way any team in the NW wins it all is if they win the div. and that’s no easy thing to do. However I think they will but they don’t have a chance in my mind of winning it all. This years Sharks team looks pretty deadly and I think they realize this is the year for them and they will get it done in the playoffs this year. I know it’s early in the season but if the Sharks stay healthy they win it all this year. Sorry Flames fans.
Beans15 Posted - 12/08/2008 : 18:38:50
Let me start by reiterating my devotion to the Mighty Oil.

That being said, Calgary has quitely become a contender in this still early part of the season. Real depth in all positions and the talent to go deep. Don't forget having a top 5 goalie in the league doesn't hurt either. (On a side note, to all of you out there who posted on the Top 5 goalies in the league thread and tried to dispute Kiprusoff, shame on you).

There are a few things that will limit Calgary's success. Firstly, their offence goes to sleep for games at a time. They have been doing that for a few years now. This is not an issue if they are flying come playoffs. But, as we seen last year with the Sharks, it can also bite them in the butt. Secondly, the have also shows in the past to not be able to stand up to the cream of the crop. They have not played well agianst the Detroits, San Joses, Anaheims, etc. They have to play as one of the best to beat one of the best. They have a history of playing under their ability against the better teams in the league.

Thirdly, and most importantly, they play in the most competative division in hockey. Not the best, but the most competative. If you look at the other divisions in hockey, you will see a spread in wins between 1st and 5th of 8, 9, 9, 7, and 12 games. In the Northwest there are 3 games between 1st and 5th. This division, as it has for the past number of seasons, will come down to the final week of the season to see who is going to be 3rd in the conference. That is huge in the playoffs, and if Calgary does not get that 3rd seed, I can't see them going past the 2nd round. The team(s) that go to the playoffs in the NW that are not the division leader will more than likely be in a 6th to 8th position. That means Calgary would have to beats at least 2 of Detroit, San Jose, or Anaheim just to get to the conference final. There is an outside chance that any team going through the west would have to beat all three of those teams to get to the Cup.

That a pretty tall order, especially for the Flames. I mean, c'mon, it's not like they are the 2005 Oilers or anything!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page