Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 National Teams

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Reeder17 Posted - 01/15/2009 : 17:05:54
Well viewing the forums I have seen some good topics on both the U.S and the Canadian 2010 teams. So inspired by these topics I have decided to post my top national teams, if they were picked by today and the present stats.

Team Canada

Iginla(A)-Thornton(C)-Getzlaf
Carter-Crosby-Savard
Doan(A)-Lecavlier-Nash
Gagne-Richards-St.Louis

Close calls- Perry, Sharp, Roy, Marleau, Toews, Statsny

Not to much to explain here. Definitely a hard choice for anyone making this decision. Canada has such depth down the middle half the wingers are actually centers. One of my favourite choices here was putting Crosby, Savard and Carter together. I really like the idea of two of the best play makers with arguably the best goal-scorer. The worst choice is the captains. Geez...way to much leadership to cut down the choices. But I feel Thornton is the best leader. I have always had a thing for Doan, quite the leader. Boyle and Iggy were easy.

Boyle(A)-Weber
Phaneuf-Green
Souray-Blake

Once again, not much to say specifically, tough choice to cut this list down. Great mix of scoring, defensive and raw checking.

Close calls- Campbell, Wideman, Keith, Niedermeyer, Jovanovski

Giguere
Price
Luongo

I find this the easiest choice to make for Team Canada. I know I cut Brodeur, it was a tough call but I just don't feel he is in the elite group anymore.

Close calls- Brodeur, Ward, Roloson, Ellis, Biron, Mason

Team USA

Kane-Drury(C)-Parise
Kessel-Weight(A)-Guerin(A)
Gionta-Gomez-Pavelski
Langenbrunner-Modano(A)-Booth

Close calls- Brown, Ryan, Stafford, Mueller

Tough final cut here. To decide between Booth and the rest of the close calls was one of the hardest decisions to make. Easy captain choices here. No brainers.

Rafalski-Suter
Hainsey-Liles
Ballard-Mara

Nice easy choice here I find. A good combination of defensive and offensive ability. I did cut off Corvo for Mara. It was a real question of points over +/-, hits and defensive mindedness. In the end I felt there was enough scoring ability already so I went for Mara.

Close calls- Goligoski, Corvo, Leopold, Carle

Miller
Thomas
Conklin

Close calls- Dipietro, Anderson

NO QUESTION. Conklin should be a number one, or at least should be splitting time with another goalie. He deserves more time than he gets in Detroit. Great goaltender. Dipietro has proven injury prone and inconsistent.

Team Russia

Ovechkin(A)-Datsyuk-Kovalchuk(A)
Kozlov-Malkin-Semin **(Ovie-Malkin hate each other so there on other lines)
Kovalev(A)-Vic. Kozlov-Frolov
Radulov(KHL)-Filatov-Morozov(KHL)

Close calls- Afinogenov, Samsonov, Mozyakin (KHL),

Raw scoring on this team. Easy to cut down. Originally both Samsonov and Afinogenov were on the team until I remembered the KHL. I think any coach would rather have Radulov and the young Morozov over Samsonov and the recently terrible Afinogenov.

Markov(C)-Zubov
Tyutin-Grebeshkov
Guskov(KHL)-Volchenkov

Close calls- Kalinin, Semonov, Milovzorov (KHL), Atyushov (KHL)

Gotta give Markov the 'C'. Great leadership and great defensive abilities. Tough trying to find good solid d-men that are Russian. In the end I had to go with KHL defensive star Guskov over Kalinin.

Khabibulin
Bryzgalov
Nabokov

Close calls- Varlamov (KHL)

No question again. The Bulin wall is exceptional in international play. Bryzgalov has been increasingly solid as the years go by. And who else but Varlamov the young star goaltender of the ol' Kontinental league.

Team Sweden

Zetterberg-Backstrom-Alfredsson(A)
Sedin-Sedin-Franzen
Eriksson-Sundin(A)-Holmstrom
Samuelsson(A)-Berglund-Huselius

Close calls- Naslund, Brunnstrom, Axelsson

Tough choice not adding Brunnstrom. The new sensation lighting up the NHL has been attracting attention. However, I just could not ignore Huselius. The lines were hard, a lot of talent up there. The only other option I had would have broken up the Sedin's and we all know you can't do that.

Lidstrom(C)-Edler
Kronwall-Ohlund
Oduya-Enstrom

Not even remotely hard. Lidstrom, easily the leader of this team. Well I guess its close with him and Sundin. I think I'm just a little sore of Sundin's actions as of late. However, easy selection on D.

Close calls- Johnsson, Havelid, Lilja, Tallinder, Ragnarsson (SEL)

Lundqvist
Holmqvist (SEL)
Gustavsson (SEL)

Not even a couple close calls. Lundqvist is the potential star of this tourny. With not many Swedish goalies in the NHL I had to go to the elite league for some back up. Who do I find but good 'ol Holmqvist. Remember his Tampa days? I do, he was an average back-up. Of course you can't ignore prospect Gustavsson, leading his team quite well in the elite league.

Team Finland

Selanne(A)-Jokinen-Miettinen
Koivu-Koivu(C)-Hagman
Peltonen-T.Ruutu-Jokinen
J.Ruutu-Filppula-Lehtinen

Another great team in Finland. A pair of Koivu's and a pair of Jokinen's makes some nice competition for any team. Saku is easily the leader of this team, no question.

Close calls- Bergenheim, Nokelainen

Timonen(A)-Numminen(A)
Pitkanen-Lydman
Salo-Vaananen

Not a whole lot of selection here. But some good solid players here.

Close calls- Kukkonen

Backstrom
Kiprusoff
Rinne

Wow. Here is the group that is going to steal some games when it really matters. Backstrom and Kipper on pace for great seasons and Rinne potentially in line to take over in Nashville. Kind of a close decision between Rinne and Toskala though. I find Toskala is a better goalie than he looks to be playing for Toronto. However, in the end I had to go for the new star in the music city.

Close calls- Toskala, Niitymaki

Team Czech Republic

Elias-Krejci-Havlat
Hudler-Lang(A)-Hemsky(A)
Sykora-Jagr(KHL)(A)-Erat
Michalek-Plekanec-Hejduk

Close calls- Skrøder (SEL), Kotalik, Fleischmann, Prospal, Voracek

Possibly a team that could be an underdog and steal a game or two. A couple of players really coming out this season like Krejci, not to mention Elias is back on track. Havlat not injured, Halleluah! You just gotta bring Jagr back for this tourny, bring him out from under the mounds of snow in Russia.

Kaberle(C)-Rosival
Kuba-Spacek
Kubina-Zidlicky

Close calls- Michalek, Hamrlik, Hejda, Klesla

Gotta give the 'C' to the under rated d-man in Toronto. Great player they have in Kaberle. This line-up is a solid combo of defensive and offensive minded players. Raw scoring of Kaberle, Kubina, Kuba and Zidlicky combines with the big hits and great plays coming out of Rosival and Spacek to make a solid defense core.

Vokoun
Schwarz
Pavelec

Not much in goaltending. Vokoun in Florida is slowly being pushed out by Anderson. Tommy will have to really step it up to give the Czech's a chance. Especially with the lack of back-up support.

Team Slovakia

Satan-Hossa-Gaborik(A)
Svatos-Zednik(A)-Demitra
Kopecky-Handzus-R'íha(SZL'H)
Hujsa (SZL'H)-Kul'ha (SZL'H)-Kollar (SZL'H)

Health! Couple guys here need to stay healthy if the Slovaks want any success. At least four players from the Slovak Elite League are gonna step up and make this team. These players and a lucky/healthy run is needed for any success at all.

Chara(C)-Vishnovsky(A)
Sekera-Meszaros
Jurcina-Ivicic; (SZL'H)

This is going to be where the Slovaks really draw their strength. Good leadership and defense in Chara. Not to mention some good young, new talent on the back-end.

Close calls- Valabik, Mihalik

Budaj
Halak
Hovi (SZL'H)

Close calls- Lipovský (SZL'H)

Once again...it's all about the back-end. Not much on forward, minus a few key players, success will come from the defense and goaltending. Honestly I have a lot of faith in Halak as a goaltender, I've watched this guy play and I have never been less than impressed. I can't wait to he is smart enough to go somewhere else to be a number one in the NHL.

Team Austria

Vanek-Vanek-Vanek
Vanek-Vanek-Vanek

Vanek-Vanek

Vanek

HAHA Just Kidding!

Just remember. Be nice. I'm sure I missed a few on the foreign teams. I'm sure I missed a couple key players on Canada. I'm sorry. Just enjoy, offer some suggestions and have fun. Also if you did not read already these are based on this year. I did not include potential AHL players, Tavares, Hedman or anyone like that. Only NHL, KHL, SEL and so on.

As a little extra added fun. I would like to hear everyone's response. Judging by these rosters...who wins the 2010 tourny?

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Axey Posted - 01/17/2009 : 12:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

stastny for usa team

Statsny is listed as Canadian in most hockey sites. On his bio he is listed as Canadian-American so I didn't know what to do.

Yeah he has duel citizenship but decided to play internationally for the US, mostly so he can have a chance to play with his brother Yan.
Reeder17 Posted - 01/17/2009 : 10:03:30
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

stastny for usa team

Statsny is listed as Canadian in most hockey sites. On his bio he is listed as Canadian-American so I didn't know what to do.

DangleFest89 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 23:27:48
stastny for usa team
Avalanche_17 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 17:40:09
I know this is a little off topic but I hope Canada can step up and see about bringing home the gold. I found that in the last Olympics watching Canada play they definitely had enough talent but fell short playing together as a team. They were trying to do their own thing and get a point themselves instead of moulding together and playing as a team.
Axey Posted - 01/16/2009 : 11:42:13
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

Thanks for replying. I did a lot of research in the European leagues and whole lot of typing I'm glad someone read it and responded. Nice teams...I forgot about Forsberg, good call. I really like how close are teams are. Mostly the only changes are one or two players which I had listed as close calls anyways.

Yes, I agree Sweden and Finland have basically just enough star power to make a team, with very little out of the top 25 with any major talent. Now I will do my Russian team.
Guest4086 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 08:57:32
Wow! A lot of research indeed....
I will only comment on Canada's team, because i don't give a rats behind about the rest. lol

1) Thornton as captiain, I say no. He always tends to disapear in the playoffs and his performance in the last Olympics was unimpressive. Give the "C" to someone else, like Iggy or Crosby.
2) Take out Doan and St. Louis and put in Perry and Toews. Perry can replace Doan's toughness and also add more scoring, and I think Toews is a much more talented player then St. Louis (plus he has more international experience).
3) Defense.....no Pronger? no Boumeester? hard to believe a Canadian team without these guys on the roster. I think you need at least Pronger here for his leadership and physical presence. Lose Blake (too old). Bring in Campbell. Him and Boyle can QB the power play. With Phaneuf and Weber on the 2nd unit.

The one thing that was lacking on the 2006 team was leadership, both on the ice and in the dressing room. If you look at the 2002 team, we had it coming out the ying-yang. Guys like Lemieux, Yzerman and Sakic lead one the ice. But what people don't see is who speaks up in the locker room.....Nolan, Fleury, Lindros, Pronger, etc. I believe we were sorley missing that in 2006, and it especially showed in that ugly game vs. Switzerland. That's why I included Pronger in my roster.

Coach? I think it should be obvious....Mike Babcock. Not only a good coach, but a no-nonsense type. He's a good motivator, and will have these guys going full tilt every game.
Reeder17 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 08:44:15
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Nice work Reeder17. I'm a bit late but welcome to the forums.
Hope you stick around.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan

Thanks a lot Willus. I plan on sticking around.

willus3 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 08:32:41
Nice work Reeder17. I'm a bit late but welcome to the forums.
Hope you stick around.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Reeder17 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 07:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9538

Did you leave Nabokov off the Russian team on purpose or did you just forget about him? If you meant to, can you justify your decision?

s***! I forgot! He never came up in my research. Sorry guys!
Just added him!

Guest9538 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 07:03:32
Did you leave Nabokov off the Russian team on purpose or did you just forget about him? If you meant to, can you justify your decision?
Avalanche_17 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 06:48:33
Wow, talk about a lot of research. Forsberg definitely deserves to be on Sweden's team. To tell the truth I can't think of any changes to make...right now. I will probably do some research and post stuff back later.
Reeder17 Posted - 01/16/2009 : 06:30:23
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I like alot of your teams, nicely done. Alot of people will say, 'but some players aren't in their positions, so they shouldn't be there' but theres always going to be problems with that, so they will move a center to the wing, or etc. to put him on the team.

Im gunna give this a shot, with my Canadian and US teams already posted in the other forums I'm going to try the other countries. I will do a team here and there and keep adding to my list over a couple of days.

Sweden

Forwards

Zetterberg - Sundin - Alfredsson
Sedin - Forsberg(Oh, he'll be back the guy is like a cockroach) - Sedin
Franzen - Backstrom - Eriksson
Samuelsson - Berglund - Holmstrom

Defense

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - Oduya
Enstrom - Johnsson

Goalies

Lundqvist
Ersberg
Markstrom

Next... Finland

Forwards

O. Jokinen - S.Koivu - Selanne
Miettinen - M. Koivu - Hagman
J. Jokinen- ruutu - ruutu
Peltonen - Filpulla - Lehtinen

Defense

Timonen - Vaanenen
Pitkanen - Salo
Kukkonen - Numminen

Goalies

Backstrom
Kipper
Toskala

Thanks for replying. I did a lot of research in the European leagues and whole lot of typing I'm glad someone read it and responded. Nice teams...I forgot about Forsberg, good call. I really like how close are teams are. Mostly the only changes are one or two players which I had listed as close calls anyways.

Axey Posted - 01/15/2009 : 20:58:41
I like alot of your teams, nicely done. Alot of people will say, 'but some players aren't in their positions, so they shouldn't be there' but theres always going to be problems with that, so they will move a center to the wing, or etc. to put him on the team.

Im gunna give this a shot, with my Canadian and US teams already posted in the other forums I'm going to try the other countries. I will do a team here and there and keep adding to my list over a couple of days.

Sweden

Forwards

Zetterberg - Sundin - Alfredsson
Sedin - Forsberg(Oh, he'll be back the guy is like a cockroach) - Sedin
Franzen - Backstrom - Eriksson
Samuelsson - Berglund - Holmstrom

Defense

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - Oduya
Enstrom - Johnsson

Goalies

Lundqvist