Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Detroit
 100 points 9 consecutive times

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest7141 Posted - 03/17/2009 : 17:39:20

It has been mentioned on several other sites. Detroit just broke the record for consecutive seasons with 100+ points.

This is an incredible feat. Ranks up there with Gretz streak of consecutive 100 point seasons.

How long can you think they can keep this streak alive? My guess is the season that Lidstrom retires, they will be unable to do it.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 03/18/2009 : 21:53:32
I completely agree that Lidstrom's contract and the "rules" of no one making more money than Lidstrom creates an environment where contracts are in line. However, there was another player that had the same impact on Detroit before Lidstrom did. His name was Steve Yzerman.

I definately think that Datsyuk and Zetterburg will have the same impact that Lidstrom has had. The bottom line is that players want to win. Period. These guys are making enough money to last them their lifetimes. The difference between $4 million and $5 million per season on a 4 year contract is insignificant if it means winning the Cup. Reason being, winning the Cup will drive the players stock up so if they decide to leave they will get paid afterwards (a la Shannahan).

Bottom line, the culture of winning is deep and strong in that organization. I see no reason why they won't at least have that 100 point or more season for the next 3.
Guest6068 Posted - 03/18/2009 : 19:32:53
Detroit vs. New Jersey Stanley Cup Final
This time Detroit will win in 6 games. San Jose will be eliminated in the 2nd round by Calgary and Detroit will beat Calgary in 6. New Jersey will beat Washington in the semis in 5.

Your loving Drunkle Olie
Guest7141 Posted - 03/18/2009 : 18:13:43
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
And to the Lidstrom point, again, I completely agree with Slozo. Lidstrom is a brilliant player, but not the end all be all. I can think of at least 10 other players in the league that could be swapped with Lidstrom and Detroit will still be one of the best, if not the best team in the league.

Let's Lidstrom in another light then. As a free agent a few years back, he took in 7.6M where he could have gotten more in other cities. It was then made known, since he is defacto the best player on Detroit at the time and that he was the captain, no other Wing will make more than him.

This set up Detroit to use Lidstrom's limit to make all other superstars fall in line with this salary. If you have a greed for money, you won't make more than Nik. So, sets up nicely for the team to retain top end talent at some incredible discounts.

Once Nik leaves, I am not so sure that Pavel or Henrik will have that sway over the rest of the superstars to ensure that their salaries fall in line. They will not have the ability to create an artificial limit to the team salary and hence will decline. Still good but not 100+ points a season good.
Beans15 Posted - 03/18/2009 : 08:33:39
I completely agree with Slozo on this. The culture of winning is a powerful thing. It happens in Detroit, New Jersey, and was (for around a decade) occuring in Colorado and Dallas. There is a reason that one of those 4 teams won the Stanley Cup every year for over a decade!!! It's about the expectation to win and the understanding on how to win. Also, players will go to teams that win. If you look at the 4 teams I listed above, rarely to they have a poor squad and more often than not, they get their pick of the Free Agents every year.

And to the Lidstrom point, again, I completely agree with Slozo. Lidstrom is a brilliant player, but not the end all be all. I can think of at least 10 other players in the league that could be swapped with Lidstrom and Detroit will still be one of the best, if not the best team in the league.

And let's not forget the other very solid defensemen on that team, coupled with the best forward group in the NHL. Their 3rd line is as quality as most teams 2nd line.

Detroit is simple a very good hockey team that has a culture of winning.
n/a Posted - 03/18/2009 : 05:13:20
An amazing feat to be sure, and it starts at the top and trickles down. The ownership, management, coaching, scouting - they are the envy of every other team in the league. Players have good seasons and bad ones, but they are all perfectly fitted parts of a well-built machine.

As to your Lidstrom comment - as I have postulated before, I find him overrated. Switch him with one of the more elite puck moving defencemen in the league like a Boyle, or better yet - switch him with a Kaberle - and I don't think you'd see much of a difference.

But then again, what do I know . . . I certainly couldn't argue with their success, and take away any important part of the machine and it could falter. How would Detroit do without Datsyuk? Without Zetterberg? Wait . . . they did pretty well when they weren't in the lineup, actually. Hunh.

Maybe it's luck.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page