Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 greatest games you have seen

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 04/01/2009 : 08:17:55
Over the years I have heard a few people talk about a game I didn't see; a new years 1975 match between the Montreal Canadiens and the Russian army team, as the greatest hockey game ever played. However a couple others have said it wasn't the greatest game ever as Montreal actually dominated and Russia came away with a 3-3 tie due only to great goal tending. Personally I remember the 1994 Sweden vs. Canada olympic gold medal game among the greatest games I have seen (though I wathched on television.) What about the rest of you. Were any of you in attendance that new years 1975? What games stand out in your memory?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shazariahl Posted - 04/03/2009 : 10:11:44
I've seen a few people mention the 87 Canada cup game 3, but I actually thought game 2 was better. Maybe just because I'm a Gretzky fan? Who knows. But game 2 went into double overtime, Wayne had 5 assists and was just everywhere that night - it felt like he could have had 15 assists instead. Mario had a hat-trick. And the best play of the entire game was by a russian, who tied the game with less than a minute to go and send it into overtime when he broke in 1 on 4 against the Canadians, beat them all, and scored. Can't remember who he was anymore - it's been so long. Anyone who can enlighten me?

As for other great games, I agree with a couple other posters - Edmonton's 1-0 victory over the Islanders on their way to their first ever cup was just a sensational game. Both goaltenders were incredible, and it was so wide open. It really just felt like any mistake would be the game loser. Turned out, that's exactly how it went down.

My 3rd choice would be probably 1991 opening round Oilers vs Flames, game 7 when the Flames took a 3-0 lead, and the oilers took a time out. Tikannen spent the whole 30 seconds at the bench yelling at the team, then went out and scored 3 goals and an assist, including the game winner in OT to send the Oilers into the next round.
tbar Posted - 04/02/2009 : 14:50:22
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Canada vs Russia at this past world juniors was an amazing game as well. I can remember being at the local pub and service had completley stopped as all the servers and kitchen staff were out near the tables with us as we watched Jordan Eberle tie the game with seconds left. I jumped out of my chair so fast it sent the chair flying backwards into the wall and almost hit one of waitresses lol.
Everyone was on their feet as the shootout started and the roar that errupted in that place after it was over was incredible.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Yuor right this was an amazing game. I was at a tourny with my midget team and when Canada tied it up it got so loud in the hotel room we were all watching the game in the hotel security came up and asked us to take it easy. I guess its safe to say it happened again when Canada won the game.
Guest0116 Posted - 04/02/2009 : 14:34:41
Best game I've been to would probly World Junior as well when U.S.A got eliminated
Guest0116 Posted - 04/02/2009 : 14:31:01
This years World Junior semi final was pretty good
Jephman Posted - 04/02/2009 : 10:18:49
Of course I haven't been around for as long as most of you, but the gratest game I have seen (I was actually there) is Game 6 of Edmonton vs. Detroit in '06. I remember there was something like 5 goals in the third period, and it seemed like a lifetime when one of the Oiler's goal was under review (I think it was the one off eiter Smyth or Hemsky's chest), not to mention the Oilers clinched the series that game. Man was the arena electric that game, I think I lost some hearing that day.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 04/02/2009 : 10:15:41
Canada vs Russia at this past world juniors was an amazing game as well. I can remember being at the local pub and service had completley stopped as all the servers and kitchen staff were out near the tables with us as we watched Jordan Eberle tie the game with seconds left. I jumped out of my chair so fast it sent the chair flying backwards into the wall and almost hit one of waitresses lol.
Everyone was on their feet as the shootout started and the roar that errupted in that place after it was over was incredible.

Beans15 Posted - 04/02/2009 : 09:52:33
Ah yes, I forgot the '87 Canada Cup game where Lemieux scored in the final minute to win the game. Puck is turned over at the blue line. Passed up to Gretzky, Gretzky skates it in, passes over to Lemieux. Is he gonna pass?? Is he gonna deke?? Nope, let's go roof daddy and take the win.

I almost put a hole in the floor after my landing I jumped off the couch so fast and so high.

Never forget that moment.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2009 : 05:24:36
That '75 game was before my time as well, I had just started walking at that time . . .

One of the greatest hockey games I ever watched - and it was a re-run, as it was played overseas - was Latvia beating Russia in Turku, Finland, in the World Ice Hockey Championships, May 4, 2003. This was no ordinary qualifying game, as Latvia beat Russia 2-1 that day, which happened to also be the 12th anniversary of their independence from the Soviet Union. You can imagine the emotion . . . and in Latvia, it was basically a national holiday for a week afterward, I had friends who were there at the time and they said it was one big crazy party afterward.

Irbe played off his head, and a young Skrastins with a bunch of no namers beat the likes of NHLers Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Semin, Frolov, Kalinin, and Arkhipov. On the ice, it was a war; and the Latvians played as if it was for their actual independance. Most telling was this quote I just found from Irbe, interviewed after the game:

"There is always special incentive when we play Russia," an emotional Irbe said. "Small nations never want to be oppressed and told what to do. You never respect a country that invades you by force. It's in the blood of every Latvian, who gets it from the milk of their mothers."

I think you can guess that I have a Latvian background

Other great games I remember with fondness: Canada beats the US 5-2 for the gold medal (obvious reasons); Belarus comes back to defeat Sweden 4-3 (remember the long floating shot off Salo's mask? seared into my memory, somehow I was cheering for Belarus); and a couple of Leaf games are up there too, game 7 against Detroit with Borschevsky's OT winner, what an emotional, well-played game that was . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
mcrosier Posted - 04/02/2009 : 05:13:11
Hello,

I watched the Canadians/Red Army game on television. It was one for the ages. A battle of two different styles of hockey with an undercurrent of the Cold War. An amazing end to end game with the players giving everything they had. Can you imagine today's players going full out for an exhibition game in the middle of the regular season. Tretiak was fantastic. And although we had been raised to hate the Russians it was hard to hate him that night.

Nice to see someone mention the 1st game of the 84 Stanley Cup. That was another tremendous game. The veteran Islanders against the high flying youthful Oilers. Seems like it was just yesterday.

Another favorite for me to watch on TV was in 1988 Game 2, Smythe Finals, Calgary vs Edmonton. Of all the many Battle of Alberta classics, it stands out. In overtime with the Oilers shorthanded, Kurri passes to Gretzky and the great one roofs it over Vernon to put the Oilers up 2-0! Fabulous.

Many of the other great games I have watched on TV were in the Canada Cups. Sittler's overtime winner in 76 capped off a great game. And the 87 final with Gretzky slipping it over to Lemieux. The Soviets led that game 3-0 and Canada came back to make it 5-4. Russia tied it in the third and then Gretzky and Lemieux sealed it.

I think a great game is one where the expectations are high and the game lives up to and goes beyond the hype and the moment.

As we look back at the games of the past the players seem small, unskilled and slow compared to the players of today. And that will always happen as improvements are made to diet, training and coaching. So a great player or game can only be compared to their peers. And for me these are a few of the games that have stood out.
Guest4803 Posted - 04/01/2009 : 17:51:48
game 7 of the Vancouver Calgary series in 94
umteman Posted - 04/01/2009 : 10:23:16
Either/or. Just any game you have seen be it on television or from the stands. I remember the 1984 cup final you mention. The Islanders were going for their fifth straight. I don't think the same two teams have faced off in a final in back to back years since. Grant Fuhr doesn't get as much respect as he deserves. I would really rate him no lower than the third or fourth best goalie I have seen. Anyone want to vouch for that new years '75 Canadiens/ Russia game as best ever?
Beans15 Posted - 04/01/2009 : 09:33:19
Are we saying ever watched before or game you were actually in attendance for???

If it's watched, I would have to say Game 1 of the Oilers vs Islanders Stanley Cup Final from 1984. The first year the oilers won the Cup. An 18 year old Grant Fuhr shut out the mighty Islander, turning away 40 shots and Billy Smith only allowed 1 goal. The Islanders and Oilers from that year would have to be in the top 10 most offensively skilled teams of all time. To see a full 60 minutes, end to end, with around 80 shot. It was magic.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 04/01/2009 : 08:28:30
Best game that I have been to was Game 7 quarter finals in 2004. Toronto vs Ottawa, Joe Nieuwendyk potted 2 softies on Patrick lalime. The streets were alive that night and the ACC was rocking! One day the ACC will rock like that again.

Also, I was at Gretzkys last game at Maple Leaf Gardens, the Rangers mopped the floor with the Leafs but it was nice to be at Waynes last game in T.O.

Sundins 4 goal, 2 assist performance against the panthers was a cool game as well. It also featured a hat trick by Joe Nieuwendyk as well who was a panther then.

Being able to see a Winnipeg Jets game against Toronto is something i'll always remember as well.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page