Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Quenneville fined!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 05/27/2009 : 09:51:21
Black Hawks coach Joel Quenneville has been fined 10 000$ for the following comments made about the officiating of game 4 of the western conference final, "I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play.

"You know, they scored, it's 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice. ... Never seen anything like it." (quote taken from sportsnet.ca)

the story link http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/05/25/quenneville_fined/

Should Quenneville have been fined for his comments after the game or were his comments completly within his rights?

Pasty
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 05/27/2009 : 15:30:55
Alright, here's my take.

Slozo, you are dead right, the two issues are the call and the comments.

Firstly, I did not see the call so I can't comment. However, I can say that there are good and bad calls in all games. Obviously, those in the playoffs are amplified significantly. This same call 3 months ago gets no comments from anyone.

Secondly, regardless of the time, date, playoffs, not playoff, etc, any time a coach is critical of the officials, it should be a fine. Period.

I don't think the $10k is that much of a stretch. If I recall, Craig MacTavish got a $10k fine in November for calling Mick McGeough "spastic" and calling an admitted missed call "retarded" (not my words, quoted). So, the $10k for calling it the worst call in the history of sports, I see that as pretty consistent.

The cool thing about the MacT fine was that a local radio station started a blitz and the fans actually put $10k together to pay the fine. However, MacT was a class act(as always) and said he made the comments, he pays the fine. So he took the $10k from the fans and paid the fine and took $10k of his own cash and donated it to a local charity.(I can't remember all the details, but it was something like this. He may have paid the fine himself and gave the fan money to charity. Can't recall exactly)

Maybe the folks in Chitown can do the same thing for Q. We'll see.
n/a Posted - 05/27/2009 : 11:42:02
Well there are two issues here: the call, and the comments.

The call was a bad call, no doubt. Was it the "worst call made in the history of sports"? No. Did the refs make a bad call? Yes. Did the refs already give Chicago dozens of breaks with non-calls on many incidents involving hacking, interference, chippiness after the play, etc? Yes.

The comments was over the top, and full-out abusive. Should he have ben fined for it? Yes, I think so. Should it have been $10,000? Um, no, not unless they think some of the infractions that have gotten much less are really that much less in value! I feel a small $1,500 fine would have been sufficient, but that's just me. I think the NHL is totally inconsistent and all over the map in terms of fines and penalties, but in this case there definitely should have been a punishment - just not one so severe.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page