Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2009 Stanley Cup Final Winner

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 05/27/2009 : 21:50:00
At long last here it is! Who will win the the NHL's 2009 Stanley Cup Championship? For bonus points, in how many games?
36   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gusteroni Posted - 06/16/2009 : 13:36:57
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

Detroit will take a 2-0 series lead, then Pit will come back to tie the series 2-2. Detroit will reclaim the series lead with a big win in Mo-town, then Pittsburgh will come back and take the cup in 7...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Congrats Rambo on your great prediction. If you're ever in Alberta I'll buy you a beer and you can help me with my fantasy team for next year.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Guest4290 Posted - 06/15/2009 : 20:00:31
quote:

Detroit will take a 2-0 series lead, then Pit will come back to tie the series 2-2. Detroit will reclaim the series lead with a big win in Mo-town, then Pittsburgh will come back and take the cup in 7...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Wow...you called that lol...did u bet on any games?? could've made a killing!!
Guest4760 Posted - 06/15/2009 : 18:55:37
Pittsburgh
brentrock2 Posted - 06/11/2009 : 16:40:57
Oops... repeated myself by mistake.. My bad.

brentrock2

[ moderator says - fixed it! ]
brentrock2 Posted - 06/11/2009 : 16:36:02
I said detroit
I think detroit are a more competitve team but Pittsburgh is still a gr8 team

brentrock2
Guest2363 Posted - 06/11/2009 : 16:31:11
Friday I think Detroit will win the cup.
The 2 teams are gr8 but detroit I think are more competitve than pitsburgh
Rambo2305 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 05:05:13
quote:

Sticking with my original prediction (which has been dead on so far lol), the Penguins are going to head into Mo-town lead by the best player on the team, Evgeni Malkin. Malkin will have a goal and two assists (1G, 2A) and the Pens will win it 4-2. Of course, Malkin gets the Conn Smythe award!

n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 04:45:21
I'll agree with you on one thing, JoshuaCanada: if the wings win it, it's gotta be Osgood for MVP. He has just played flat out awesome this playoffs, the score could have easily been 5 or 6 for Pittsburgh with some of the great chances they had in the first and second periods. Credit to Fleury, who saved the game later.

If the Pens win it in game 7, I suppose that it'll have to be Crosby or Malkin . . . and it might even go down to the wire on who performs better the last game. I'll say this - if neither gets more than an assist, or if Malkin does well, it's Malkin. If Crosby scores a goal and an assist or two goals or better, it's Crosby.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/09/2009 : 10:23:18
Now that Datsuk is back, I say Detriot closes out the series tonight. They dont need to win in front of the home town. Now who do you think will be Playoff MVP? My money is on Osgood!!!! And I am the biggest trade for a better goalie in Detriot advocate during the regular season.
Rambo2305 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 05:48:27
quote:

Wow, can't believe I actually got the series right (so far)!! haha

Guest0604 Posted - 06/07/2009 : 01:19:44
quote:

Great prediction. However I'm not sure the last line will be correct!
Go Wings Go! Wings will finish this off next game.
Guest0983 Posted - 06/04/2009 : 22:24:23
wings in 7.
Guest8241 Posted - 06/04/2009 : 09:21:36
The Pens will win 3-2 tonight
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/03/2009 : 10:18:06
OK I see your point. You think Pittsburg is better on special teams (PK, PP). I still dont think Detroit is a trapping or cheap team. I dont think they play a style in which they have to get away with a few to win though. I think the ref's have been told to let the teams play and not disturb the flow of the game. Having 2 teams repeat in the finals has generated alot of interest and these 2 teams are highly marketable. Not many people hate, hate either of these 2 teams.
n/a Posted - 06/03/2009 : 09:08:00
Very good point, guest 9287.

Refs not calling a lot DOES definitely sway the outcome, even if applied evenly. Teams that use the trap and try to employ obstruction, and rough teams, they will take a decided advantage from this. They will get less penalties as they obstruct, hold up and manahandle the star players on the opposing team. If they play a highly skilled team (or a team with two superstars that generate most of the offence, as is the case with Pittsburgh) who like to play an uptempo, rushing game, then they will clearly get an advantage.

I am not so sure this is the case with Detroit and Pittsburgh, but it certainly gives one pause for thought.

Guest9287 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 05:55:43
JOSHUACANADA....i do agree with your comments on the detroit team..they play a team game for sure..but that's not what I am trying to say. I am saying that if you remove all power play chances pittsburgh gets and at the same time remove all power play chances that detroy gets, it will hurt pittsburgh more since pittsburgh has a better powerplay than detroit does, and also pittsburgh is better at a man short than detroit is. Tonight was a great example of what I am saying. Pittsburgh scored 2 power play games..now imagine that the refs didnt call those power plays, pittsburgh would of probably lost the game.

My point is that its not enough to say the refs are fair on both sides given that it will affect a team more than the other ;)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/02/2009 : 15:32:23
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9289

I am a penguins fan and I know that they are a better team than detroit, however many times thats not enough. You need luck, luck, and more luck to win a cup. If you look at the 1st two games, detroit had all the luck on their side, pittsburgh very unlucky. But thats not the only reason why detroit won. THe main reason is that the referees put their whistles in their pockets, and that for both teams. However, since Pittsburgh's power play is much more efficient than detroits power play, the non calls hurt pittsburgh more. And I believe this is the main reason why pittsburgh is down 2-0 in the series, not just the unlucky side of things, but also the fact that they get no power play opportunities because of the stupid refs.

Because you are a Penguins fan I am not going to call you an idiot for your statement. You are allowed to cheer for your team and boo what you believe are bad calls against your team. But, the penguins have 3-4 really good offensive players and an offensive system that suits the team.

Detroit has the better team and positional system of play. Every player has bought into the system and knows there role in it. Superstar players have been humbled by this team play. (ie Federov, Yserman, Lindstrom, Hull, Shanahan, Hossa, Rafalski, Zetterberg, Datszuk) This is a team first atmosphere and if not already, a dynasty in the making.

Props to Pitsburg for making it to the finals for 2 years in a row.
Guest9289 Posted - 06/02/2009 : 11:23:45
I am a penguins fan and I know that they are a better team than detroit, however many times thats not enough. You need luck, luck, and more luck to win a cup. If you look at the 1st two games, detroit had all the luck on their side, pittsburgh very unlucky. But thats not the only reason why detroit won. THe main reason is that the referees put their whistles in their pockets, and that for both teams. However, since Pittsburgh's power play is much more efficient than detroits power play, the non calls hurt pittsburgh more. And I believe this is the main reason why pittsburgh is down 2-0 in the series, not just the unlucky side of things, but also the fact that they get no power play opportunities because of the stupid refs.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 06/01/2009 : 07:50:05
Do the pens still have a chance..... I think it's over...

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest4870 Posted - 05/31/2009 : 02:57:29
you look at players like crosby,malkin,staal,and gonchar and you see tons of talent. Now if you look at chris chellios you see a washed up old bag.My point is that detriot has to many old bags on there team.So detroit really needs some young guns on ther team. I think that pittsburgh will win the cup.

you suck detriot f you
Guest8143 Posted - 05/29/2009 : 10:42:39
watch, the wings will sweep
Axey Posted - 05/28/2009 : 19:59:13
Detroit is an amazing team, even without Nik and Datsyuk, just like someone mentioned before you can't really take 2 stars off of the Pens and expect them to win. Therefore Detroit is a deeper team, but with that being it doesn't matter how deep a team is if there are no injuries at the moment.

Alot of odds go to the Detroit, but I think my heart is with the Pens, Fleury played for my hometown QMJHL Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Crosby is a fellow blue noser. But Gretzky and Messier - oh my mistake, I mean Crosby and Malkin have learned alot of what it takes to win and after last year I don't think they will settle for less.

Either way I won't be too upset, and I won't say who I think will win just so I won't jynx anything.
Guest9152 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 14:11:39
pittsbirgh in 5 games
hanley6 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 13:07:00
Detroit has the better team that's for sure... I have a feeling the Cup will go to Detroit again this year, but I am hoping Pittsburgh can pull it off and win it this year.. I just don't want to see Detroit win
PhOrMz Posted - 05/28/2009 : 12:50:16
I cant help but to feel this is Crosby's year....
No consideration for the Hart trophy this year...opposed to Datsyuk?

Crosby will have a better series then he did against Washington - win the Smythe - and hoist the cup.

He beat Ovechkin head to head in the playoffs in a absolutely crazy show by the both of them, and the only thing left to do is win the cup, and its coming this year.
There are going to be a lot less Crosby haters after the show he puts on in the finals (win or lose) and people can see this kids real heart and will to win.

Pens in 7. 4-3 OT. Crosby with the winner.

-Pain is inevitable. Misery is a choice-
Gusteroni Posted - 05/28/2009 : 12:22:08
I think Osgood has been playing like a goalie with something to prove and I suppose Fleury has been too. Both goalies have been excellent granted but it is going to come down to defence. Detroit is not going to allow the Pens to run around like they did against the Canes and you aren't going to see the 3-4 breakaways a game for the Pens either. I want the Pens to win but my head says the Wings in 7. Detroit always seems to find a way to get around the opposing teams defence and more importantly their goalie.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Rambo2305 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 11:45:55

n/a Posted - 05/28/2009 : 10:07:08
I wouldn't say this Detroit team isa dynasty yet, no. If they win this year, and win again in the next two years as someone mentioned, then yes - the term would apply.

They are very, very good though, and it will take some combined outstanding performances by many of the Pen's stars to beat them.

Guest2269 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 09:39:52
Heres the thing canes beat NJ and bos the top teams in the east then they lose the Pens and they didnt even bring it to 5 or 6 games. The canes where down to NJ and came back and won in 7 they where down to Bos and came back to win in 7. And then they where down against the pens and lose to the pens in 4. But on the other hand the pens had to fight there way back in the series agianst the caps and won in 7 so the pens have had a tough road to the staley cup finals. as where the red wings first round 4 second round 7 games and 3 round 5 just like the pens first round 5 games second round 7 games and 3 round 4. But it is time for a rematch and the pens take it in 7 games.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 08:56:15
Can someone tell me when this "dont touch the conferance championship trophy" superstition started... when was the last time someone touched it? I mean, if neither team touches the trophy, 1 still loses... i think its kind of stupid myself.... it really doesnt matter if you touch it or not. Its what you do when the puck drop that counts.

Detroit should be a heavy favorite, they are ridiculously deep... but Im hoping for Pitt in 7.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest9838 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 08:45:03
Yes I disagree. Granted the wings are an incredible team year in and year out, but the current team needs to win the whole thing at least 3 out of 4 years to be considered a dynasty, winning this year would put them on that path. You can't lump this team with 01-02 team or the 96-97 and 97-98 teams.

Incredibly successful yes, dynasty, not yet.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/28/2009 : 08:37:38
Does anybody disagree that this Detroit team is a dynasty.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/28/2009 : 08:36:50
Slozo you could take Rafalski, Lindstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk out of Detroits line up and they are still a dangerous team. When you talk Pitsburg, the other team has to have everybody play a steller game to compete with Detroit. If Crosby or Malkin or Gonchar or Fluery dont play as good as they can, Detroit continues the dynasty.
n/a Posted - 05/28/2009 : 05:44:24
Have to agree with wings in 6 . . . except that, there is a bit of light shining through the door for Pittsburgh, as Datsyuk and Lidstrom are injured right now. I know Datsyuk hasn't been lighting it up, but at least his defensive play will be missed (probably not performing well because of a pre-existing injury). Lidstrom has played really well this playoffs, he'll be a bit of a hole.

I know Detroit has gotten past a lot of injuries here, but Crosby has been playing very, very well, and now Malkin is showing more grit and determination. If Crosby can play even close to what he showed against Washington, if Malkin can be solid, and if Kunitz can start scoring again on Crosby's line, and if Guerin can keep motoring as he has done, and if Letang and Gonchar can play as good as they can, and if Staal can be that clutch guy to pot in a few, and most importantly, if Fleury can steal 2 games on his own: well, they might have a chance to beat them. Especially if Datsyuk and Lidstrom sit out most of the series or come back hurt.

Screw it, I'm going off the grid.
Pens in 7.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/27/2009 : 23:39:37
Outside of the fact you forgot to mention the added pieces that Pitsburg added, I agree wholeheartedly. Detroit is that damn good. Wings in 6
Beans15 Posted - 05/27/2009 : 21:58:23
OK, just trying some logic on for size here. Chicago handles 2 of the top 4 teams in the West. Then, Detroit (without their two best players for the last two games) makes Chicago look average.

I don't think anyone has given the credit to Detroit they deserve. They are that friggin good.

All credit to Pitt. They will fight more so than last year, mostly because this coach they found is excellent. But they don't have the "it" to overcome Detroit.

Too deep, too skilled, too experienced, too well coached. Detroit is virtually the same team as last year except the added Hossa. Pitt is nearly the same team but without Hossa(and Whitney).

Same as last year, Detroit in 6.

I mean c'mon, Crosby touched the Prince of Wales Trophy!! What the hell was he thinking??

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page