Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Iginla on Souray

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 12:08:14
Beans, thought you might have brought this up? What'd everyone think of the hit/trip on Souray by Iginla the other night? Clean? Dirty? Accidental?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 19:41:11
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6222

Iginla purposely tripped Souray. Watch the replay. Souray would never get injured by accident, he's way too tough. Iginla did that on purpose.

Wow, that's (in bold) a very strong statement (and one of the most ridiculous things i've EVER read! So, let's say Souray is skating hard to get back into a play and some moron has thrown debris onto the ice which Souray wipes out on and crashes into the boards breaking his leg. Total accident, but he'd just get up and tough it out and keep playing i suppose?

Your opinion that it was intentional is fine, but don't go talking nonsense....
Guest6222 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 14:23:21
Iginla purposely tripped Souray. Watch the replay. Souray would never get injured by accident, he's way too tough. Iginla did that on purpose.
polishexpress Posted - 10/11/2009 : 22:02:20
I guess what I meant (I was Guest9973 before registering) was that ever since the rule changes post-lockout, defenders are more likely to show their back to a forechecker coming in behind them because rules protect them more from checking from behind. I scarcely remember many plays like Iginla-Souray before the lockout, unless it was an all-out race to beat out icing. Players knew that if they showed their back they would get pounded into the boards. Now, its seems there are cases almost every month where a guy gets injured in a battle going into the boards. Of course, they aren't all serious injuries, but sometimes tweaking an ankle or shoulder takes a guy out for a game or two.

Had the rules not changed, players would block out of their minds the possibility of going face first (compared to at an angle or sideways) into the boards with a forechecker behind you. Also, forecheckers can get away with those types of plays thanks to the instigator rule, but I guess that's another topic...
Beans15 Posted - 10/11/2009 : 14:16:15
Ah yes, you are correct. It was tripping penalty. My bad.

I still don't see the play as dangerous. The position of Iginla's stick was dangerous. But the play itself, is it not taught to forecheckers to rub the defensive player out, hold him breifly against the boards and let your forechecking partner come in for the puck???

Guest9973 Posted - 10/11/2009 : 13:24:58
Beans15, I agree with you that if there had been no injury, there may have been no call. But Iginla got 2mins for tripping on the play, here's the ESPN NHL link to prove it, scroll down to the second period summary: http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=291008006. And I watched the Edm-Mtl game, and saw the plays where the defensive player is clearly rubbed out. I think that those are dirty plays that have developed as a result of rule changes since the lockout.

Players should have enough respect for each other not to make such dangerous plays, such as riding someone into the boards from behind, and enough smarts not to put themselves in vulnerable positions in the first place. No touch icing rules might help too.
Alex116 Posted - 10/11/2009 : 09:41:23
Beans, i agree for the most part. This was not dirty whatsoever. The only agument i can see is this: When a guy out in mid ice with the puck steps on a stick of the defending player, most times, a tripping penalty is caused. Therefore, this could be considered and maybe should be consdired a trip? I mean, he did trip him, be it accidental or not?

I do agree though that often the injury dictates the intent or the infraction through the eyes of the fans especially!
Beans15 Posted - 10/11/2009 : 08:34:35
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well said, guest 9973.

It was a dangerous play, a reckless play, and he should be penalised accordingly. Same as when a player puts someone's eye out with a high stick . . . its reckless, and preventable.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I'm really confused. This is another one of those situations where the injury dictates the infraction. If Souray doesn't get hurt, no one would have said this play was dirty. I watched for this in the Edmonton game last night against Montreal. I counted 4 times where this exact play happened and the defensive player was 'rubbed out' into the corner boards by the offensive player with one hand on his stick and the other in the defensive player's back.

Why was there not a single penalty called on those plays???? Wait??? Iginla wasn't penalized on the Souray play either!

Dirty???? I didn't see it like that at all.
leigh Posted - 10/11/2009 : 01:30:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84BZGKuteXU

The injury on Souray was clearly an accident.

As for the fight, the video shows that Iginla is a true gentleman. He could have pummeled Moreau while he was down but he let him get up before throwing punches again. Two classy leaders going toe to toe. Wish the refs let them go a little longer.
n/a Posted - 10/10/2009 : 19:58:49
Well said, guest 9973.

It was a dangerous play, a reckless play, and he should be penalised accordingly. Same as when a player puts someone's eye out with a high stick . . . its reckless, and preventable.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest9973 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 19:27:58
I am beginning to wonder if any of you actually play hockey????? Those are NHL caliber players out there: very little they do is accidental; of course Iginla did not mean to harm Souray- but he knew the risks involved going into the boards for himself and his oppenent, and that is what makes the play DIRTY. The players call injuries accidents because they are unintentional. But it is no accident that Souray got hurt. Any physical contact in hockey has risk for injury; going into the boards and putting your stick close to your opponent's skates is a very high risk play, but Iginla, in addition, made sure Souray stayed down by by leaning into him. No hockey player should put their stick so close to their opponent's feet when going into the boards. No excuses: NHL is not pee-wee. So was Iggy's play on Souray intentional: no. BUT PLEASE DON'T CALL IT AN ACCIDENT!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/10/2009 : 16:42:25
And if Iginla becomes a repeat offender I'm sure he will be under the same scrutiny as Bert. In the mean time I have watched Iginla play for 10 or so years, and in that time he consitantly plays fair, but hard.

No controversy hear unless your talking about the Crawford like thing that Quinn did to his players. What happens the next time they play and someone injures Iginla. Is this premeditated assault. Quinn didn't get the multiple angles and slow motion replays behind the bench that we got, prior to his angry reaction to his best player being injured.

BTW, the radio stations around here figure it was Quinn trying to deflect the attention off a bad start to the season for the Oilers. They might be right.
willus3 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 16:41:13
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It's a play that happens 20 times a game in every NHL game around North America every single night. The difference on this one is that Iginla's stick was low and snagged up on Souray's skate. There was no ill will or intent to injure on the play at all. Iginla was simply setting up to take out the player about to take the puck. It's unfortunate that Souray got hurt. Iginla could have gotten hurt just as easily. If you watch the video, Iginla hit his head on the boards as well.

Moreau was doing what he had to in fighting Iginla afterwards. More than likely what his coach wanted him to do. Good on Iginla for not rockin Moreau a few times when he lost his balance. He had the chance but held back because he is a classy hockey player.

Quinn was way way out of line. Honestly, this is the exact same thing that Quinn did when he was in Toronto and he is as much of a media tool now as he was then. It's embarrassing to the Oilers to have this moron shooting off his mouth. He is good coach, there is no doubt. In fact, I would agree that he is one of the better coaches out there. But K.Lowe and Steve Tambo should tell Quinn to stay away from the media and have Reneny do the interviews.

Well, guess I'm an idiot too then. I happen to agree with Quinn. But you see, I am from his generation and we really do see things differently than today's generation. Let me clarify. I don't agree with Quinn that Iginla's play was dirty. I don't think there was any intent to injure at all. I agree with you Beans that it looked like his stick got caught on Souray somehow and it dragged him into the boards. What I do agree with Quinn about is the attitude or mentality of what he was saying. Sadly, the rules being what they are today, players just can't do what Quinn was talking about.
And please before anyone chimes in with "it would just cause more Bertuzzi/McSorely incidents", don't. Those incidents happened under today's rules.
Alex116 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 15:53:56
First of all, how can something be accidental, but dirty? Please explain 5527?

0482, i understand what you're saying, and that's the only issue here. What if that was Bertuzzi rather than Iginla? You have to assume that the reaction and opinions on it would be different?
Guest0482 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 14:23:19
good to hear quinn speaking the truth when your a star player you always get special treatment if that was avery he be gone for atleast 5 games. Anyone remember the hit on Hemsky where no one stood up for him glad to see we have a educated coach who will put a fire under this team to compete and play actual hockey unlike that braindead pierre mcguire wanna-be
Guest5527 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 13:50:49
dirty but accidental
Alex116 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 13:45:52
Well said, i couldn't agree more. It was more accidental than anything and these things happen with guys moving fast and being on skates. It's really unfortunate and hopefully Souray isn't lost for long.

Before seeing the hit, i assumed it had to be worse. Everything i heard about it on the radio and from Quinn's comments made it seem like a serious cheap shot. I found it hard to believe Iginla would do something like that being the class act that he is so i reserved judgement till i saw the clip. Don't know what Quinn or the guys on the radio were seeing?
Beans15 Posted - 10/10/2009 : 12:22:59
It's a play that happens 20 times a game in every NHL game around North America every single night. The difference on this one is that Iginla's stick was low and snagged up on Souray's skate. There was no ill will or intent to injure on the play at all. Iginla was simply setting up to take out the player about to take the puck. It's unfortunate that Souray got hurt. Iginla could have gotten hurt just as easily. If you watch the video, Iginla hit his head on the boards as well.

Moreau was doing what he had to in fighting Iginla afterwards. More than likely what his coach wanted him to do. Good on Iginla for not rockin Moreau a few times when he lost his balance. He had the chance but held back because he is a classy hockey player.

Quinn was way way out of line. Honestly, this is the exact same thing that Quinn did when he was in Toronto and he is as much of a media tool now as he was then. It's embarrassing to the Oilers to have this moron shooting off his mouth. He is good coach, there is no doubt. In fact, I would agree that he is one of the better coaches out there. But K.Lowe and Steve Tambo should tell Quinn to stay away from the media and have Reneny do the interviews.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page