Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ottawa Senators - 09/10 Playoffs?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 10/17/2009 : 18:26:03
Will the Ottawa Senators make the 2009/2010 NHL Playoffs?

Irvine
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9586 Posted - 12/18/2009 : 04:57:19
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

It goes like this:

1:Philadelphia
2:Washington
3:Boston
4:Pittsburgh
5:NYR
6:New Jersey
7:Colorado
8:Buffalo

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

wow you retard Colorado isn't even in the eastern conference!
Alex116 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 23:16:22
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7552

senators won't make the playoffs until 2015

You probably believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause! OOPS! Did I wreck that for you? Go have a nap.

Joshua.....brilliant! Gotta be "post of the week". Too funny!
Guest9693 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 20:11:31
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

Before last night's game the Flyers were 13th in the Eastern conference just a spot above my hapless leafs so I wouldn't put too much hope in them. Colorado is in the goddam western conference. Carolina is not only last in the East they are last in the League. And as it stand the Rangers and Lightning are both out of a playoff spot. So i'll adopt your logic Leafs win the Presidents cup this year.

That's what happens when you make an early season prediction. Some people don't realize it was written 2 weeks into the season.

Of course that doesn't forgive the poster who put Colorado in the Eastern conference. Perhaps they are still living in the 80s where Colorado used to be the Nordiques and hopefully didn't remember about the awful Rockies that Cherry coached.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/10/2009 : 13:49:14
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7552

You probably believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause! OOPS! Did I wreck that for you? Go have a nap.
Guest7552 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 13:13:34
Tiller33 Posted - 12/09/2009 : 11:31:58
Before last night's game the Flyers were 13th in the Eastern conference just a spot above my hapless leafs so I wouldn't put too much hope in them. Colorado is in the goddam western conference. Carolina is not only last in the East they are last in the League. And as it stand the Rangers and Lightning are both out of a playoff spot. So i'll adopt your logic Leafs win the Presidents cup this year.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/09/2009 : 10:15:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9204

[quote]Originally posted by sharksfan44

1.washington
2.philly
3.boston
4.pittsburgh
5.new jersey
6.new york rangers
7.carolina
8.tampa

can't forget about colorado though
Carolina sucks

Do you watch hockey? Philly #2? and Carolina #7? Is this a baseball/football/basketball post? Some holes in your arguement, me thinks.
Guest9204 Posted - 12/08/2009 : 16:44:29
[quote]Originally posted by sharksfan44

1.washington
2.philly
3.boston
4.pittsburgh
5.new jersey
6.new york rangers
7.carolina
8.tampa

can't forget about colorado though
Carolina sucks
Guest8369 Posted - 12/08/2009 : 12:21:18
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't personally think Ottawa is a BETTER team without Heatley. The fact that is takes 2 player to fill his boots tells me the could be better with Heatley. Furthermore, Alfredsson and Spezza were both 90-100 points players with Heatley. They are now on pace for 82 and 50 respectively.

Also considering that Marleau is on pace for a career year with Heatley and Thornton and there will be another 100+ points season for big Joe, Heatley's solidified his abilities once again.

Ottawa is play decent, reasonable hockey, but let's not get crazy.

The projected stats for Alfredson is an improvement on 08-09 and Spezza had an injury he was playing thru and has been picking it up lately so no need for worry. 17 points in 26 games is off his normal production, he is capable of a 90 point season, but he has only done that once.
Guest4052 Posted - 12/08/2009 : 10:07:05
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I have an arguement that Mikalek might be as important as Heatley was. He doesnt need to play on a superstar line or with superstar players to put up (less, but similar) numbers. Heatley assist were as a result of playing with one of the premier scorers in the league, Alfredson and a great setup man Spezza. I'd say Heatleys numbers would drop like a rock if he played off the Thorton line. Super Joe has already show he can make a guy like Cheechoo look like a superstar, so we already know Heatleys stats this year are as much Joe as Dani. He struggled horribly when in Ottawa playing without Spezza or Alfredson. I dont think Heatley was ever sent out on short handed situations, but I think Michalek see's time.

Spezza also needs a sniper to give assists to. He's having the same problems that Marc Savard (another playmaker) is having to deal with due to Kessel being gone. Cheechoo is turning into Pat Falloon.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/08/2009 : 09:08:57
I have an arguement that Mikalek might be as important as Heatley was. He doesnt need to play on a superstar line or with superstar players to put up (less, but similar) numbers. Heatley assist were as a result of playing with one of the premier scorers in the league, Alfredson and a great setup man Spezza. I'd say Heatleys numbers would drop like a rock if he played off the Thorton line. Super Joe has already show he can make a guy like Cheechoo look like a superstar, so we already know Heatleys stats this year are as much Joe as Dani. He struggled horribly when in Ottawa playing without Spezza or Alfredson. I dont think Heatley was ever sent out on short handed situations, but I think Michalek see's time.
irvine Posted - 12/07/2009 : 18:39:42
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7101

Michalek might not be a Heatley, but who says he isn't more valuable to the team?

He kills penalties -something Heatley never did, and what if he outscores Heatley's goal total from last year? At what point does this guy get credit, Heatley had a disappointing season for Ottawa last year.

No need to put him on a pedestal and in my opinion what he does with San Jose is not what he was doing for Ottawa.

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Heatley has 39 goals(good for a tie for 6th in the league) and had 72 points(good for a tie for 20th in the league) and it's a disappointment??? What about the 3 years before that?? The 141 goals, 149 assists for 290 points and +93 in 235 games???

As an Oiler fan, I dream of a player having 39 goals in any year, let alone an off year!!! The Oilers haven't had a 40 goal scorer in nearly 2 decades and some are complaining about a 39 goal dissapointment???

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Michalek. He has been a pool pick of my for the past 3 seasons. Love his speed and handles the puck wicked. But Heatley he is not. It's amazing how quickly people talk about the 40-50 goals a year that Heatley put up, but no one says word one about the 40-50 assists he drops in a year either?? Michalek does not have the passing that Heatley does. And Michalek playing on the PK does not make up for what Heatley brings on the PP and even strength. Sure, Michalek is on pace for 43 goals, but 14 assists comparatively to Heatley just isn't a comparison at all.

Furthermore, for 3 of the 4 years that Heatley was in Ottawa they did something very well. That was win, baby. And that is what it's all about.

Michalek just doesn't bring all the things to the table that Heatley does. There are maybe 5-8 players in the league that do bring what Heatley does, and Michalek is not one of them.

Well said Beans, I need not reply as you said what I would have. Not word for word, but the point is there. :p

Irvine
Beans15 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 12:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7101

Michalek might not be a Heatley, but who says he isn't more valuable to the team?

He kills penalties -something Heatley never did, and what if he outscores Heatley's goal total from last year? At what point does this guy get credit, Heatley had a disappointing season for Ottawa last year.

No need to put him on a pedestal and in my opinion what he does with San Jose is not what he was doing for Ottawa.

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Heatley has 39 goals(good for a tie for 6th in the league) and had 72 points(good for a tie for 20th in the league) and it's a disappointment??? What about the 3 years before that?? The 141 goals, 149 assists for 290 points and +93 in 235 games???

As an Oiler fan, I dream of a player having 39 goals in any year, let alone an off year!!! The Oilers haven't had a 40 goal scorer in nearly 2 decades and some are complaining about a 39 goal dissapointment???

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Michalek. He has been a pool pick of my for the past 3 seasons. Love his speed and handles the puck wicked. But Heatley he is not. It's amazing how quickly people talk about the 40-50 goals a year that Heatley put up, but no one says word one about the 40-50 assists he drops in a year either?? Michalek does not have the passing that Heatley does. And Michalek playing on the PK does not make up for what Heatley brings on the PP and even strength. Sure, Michalek is on pace for 43 goals, but 14 assists comparatively to Heatley just isn't a comparison at all.

Furthermore, for 3 of the 4 years that Heatley was in Ottawa they did something very well. That was win, baby. And that is what it's all about.

Michalek just doesn't bring all the things to the table that Heatley does. There are maybe 5-8 players in the league that do bring what Heatley does, and Michalek is not one of them.

Guest7101 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 11:06:47

irvine Posted - 12/05/2009 : 21:40:57
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6567

Am I missing something here? Alfredsson (not Fisher) leads the Senators in points.

Also, Michalek/Cheechoo are on pace for just under 57 goals this year and Heatley last year only had 39...

Michalek himself is on pace for just over 47 goals...

Ottawa is a better team than they were with Heatley

I'm well aware of who has what for points with the Senators...

But what I am saying is that Kovalev, Cheechoo & Spezza can all play better hockey than they are. They need to step up. All three of these guys should be outscoring Mike Fisher.

In order for Ottawa to have success, they need to play how they can play. Cheechoo + Michalek are no Dany Heatley, sorry bud. Even combined.

We also need our goaltending to be better.

Irvine
Beans15 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 20:16:54
I don't personally think Ottawa is a BETTER team without Heatley. The fact that is takes 2 player to fill his boots tells me the could be better with Heatley. Furthermore, Alfredsson and Spezza were both 90-100 points players with Heatley. They are now on pace for 82 and 50 respectively.

Also considering that Marleau is on pace for a career year with Heatley and Thornton and there will be another 100+ points season for big Joe, Heatley's solidified his abilities once again.

Ottawa is play decent, reasonable hockey, but let's not get crazy.
Guest6567 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 19:05:20
Am I missing something here? Alfredsson (not Fisher) leads the Senators in points.

Also, Michalek/Cheechoo are on pace for just under 57 goals this year and Heatley last year only had 39...

Michalek himself is on pace for just over 47 goals...

Ottawa is a better team than they were with Heatley
irvine Posted - 12/05/2009 : 16:45:44
Mike Fisher is a solid player, but you can not expect him to be your top player, that's just not his role. Ottawa have to have their top scorers/playmakers step up. (Spezza, Kovalev, Michalek, Alfreddson, Cheechoo). If these guys do not, mainly cheecho, spezza and kovalev the sens will fail. Your best player can not be Mike Fisher.

GO SENS GO!

Irvine
Porkchop73 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 16:27:17
Spezza is struggling a bit, but he has always been prone to giving the puck away because he hangs on to it to long. He seems to be having more trouble this year with it then he has other years. He has a really good shot and needs to shoot more.
The one player that I have always liked on Ottawa is Mike Fisher. This year he is stepping up more and he is a huge reason that the Sens are not near the bottom of the standings.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/05/2009 : 10:54:20
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Sure Ottawa will make the playoffs. So will the Leafs. They will meet in the first round and Ottawa will once again fall to the Leafs in the playoffs

Reality is Ottawa should make the playoffs, they likely will be in somewhere in the 6th to 8th spot. Just think where they would be with Heatley though. Cleary they miss him. Spezza is still skating around with the puck, turning it over, never shooting. Seems he hasn't lost his huge EGO yet. That is the number 1 reason Spezza will not be anywhere on team Canadas radar. Sens will be in tough though, they can only ride Mike Fisher for so long, he is no Dany Heatley.

I havent been able to see many games with Ottawa this year, so is Spezza really that bad or does he have no-one to feed. I am still picking Ottawa to be in that 5-6 spot as Philly is dropping fast and clearly there is only 3 dominant teams in the east - Pitts, Washington and Jersey.
Porkchop73 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 05:57:37
Sure Ottawa will make the playoffs. So will the Leafs. They will meet in the first round and Ottawa will once again fall to the Leafs in the playoffs

Reality is Ottawa should make the playoffs, they likely will be in somewhere in the 6th to 8th spot. Just think where they would be with Heatley though. Cleary they miss him. Spezza is still skating around with the puck, turning it over, never shooting. Seems he hasn't lost his huge EGO yet. That is the number 1 reason Spezza will not be anywhere on team Canadas radar. Sens will be in tough though, they can only ride Mike Fisher for so long, he is no Dany Heatley.
Sensfan101 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 05:26:09
I have been really impressed with Michalek I got him in the 12th round what a steal!

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
M-y-K-E-A-l Posted - 12/05/2009 : 05:07:20
SPEZZA is still a bum lol he's getting to be in the bottom half of my draft, not impressed with him!
Guest4746 Posted - 12/05/2009 : 05:06:22
SPEZZA is still a bum lol he's getting to be in the bottom half of my draft, not impressed with him!
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/04/2009 : 18:45:22
I would still call the Sens a bubble team at this point in the season. They might make it, but I wouldn't call them a favorite

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
irvine Posted - 12/04/2009 : 18:12:09
Now that we are a little further in to the season, have any of your folks opinions changed?

Do you rate Ottawa higher or lower in your books now, than before the season began?

Can the Sens make the playoffs?

Irvine
Open_Ice Posted - 10/21/2009 : 14:38:37
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4271

Can't see Boston not making it.

I can with the slow start and now savard's broken foot

I can also see montreal and carolina missing so the door may be open for some teams ranked lower in the preseason (especially [in order] ottawa, buffalo, tampa, atlanta)
Guest4271 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 12:17:23
Can't see Boston not making it.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/21/2009 : 11:49:23
Ottawa can be in the top 8... but barely... the east has a lot of strong and balanced teams this year. In no particular order this is my thinking:

-Pittsburgh
-Washington
-Philly
-NYR
-New Jersey
-Tampa Bay
-Ottawa
-Montreal or Carolina

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/19/2009 : 19:11:37
I have said my peace in other forums prior about their hot run so as to not have anyone confuse me as a headline waving bandwagon jumper. I think there is room in the top 8 on the east for the Ottawa Senators. I think the order most people are predicting is going to be off by at least 2 teams maybe three because the struggling teams of the last few years are finally catching the guys who havent improved there teams this year. Im think the Devils and Sabres will be fighting hard with Tampa Carolina Atlanta and Montreal for the last few playoff spots. Having the Panthers T.O and NYI on the outside looking in. The only sure bets to the playoffs will be Bruins Philly NYR Pitts and the Caps. Of that order Im figuring the sens for 3-5th.
irvine Posted - 10/19/2009 : 16:13:21
Seems a lot of people have Montreal ranked higher than Ottawa. I'm not sure about this, personally.

Ottawa still have some scoring forwards upfront, even with the loss of Heatley. As for Defence, I will agree, they are nothing too special. But they do have some shut-down d-men who can help control a game.

Goaltending, this is where I cannot agree. They do have a solid goaltender if he can stay healthy. Leclaire may be newer to the league, but in the little time he has had he's shown he can stop a puck.

I like Ottawa over Montreal this season, all bias aside.

Irvine
M-y-K-E-A-l Posted - 10/19/2009 : 14:56:20
My draft doesn't allow trades or anything, so I'm stuck with him. I was just looking to see if i should be excited as the year moves forward or should I be down in the dumps and not really pay attention.
Beans15 Posted - 10/19/2009 : 08:49:12
Be patient with Spezza. Even his off year was very close to a PPG. He is still adjusting to life without Heatley and the difference with Michalek. You can see in the past few games that they have started to Click.

I would give Spezza at least another 10 games before moving him. There are still the hot starters to the season that will fizzle and you would hate to drop Spezza, who will end up with 85+ points, and pick up a hot player like Prospal who will end up with 60ish at the end of the year.

Patience is a Jedi virtue. It's still very early in the season.
M-y-K-E-A-l Posted - 10/19/2009 : 01:41:06
What do you guys think about Spezza? DO you think he is going to get hot soon? I have him in my draft, picked him 2nd and I'm kind of dredding it right now, I don't like his production as of so far.
bounty2k3 Posted - 10/19/2009 : 00:22:21
To put it simply. NO. There are too many tough teams in the East this year. Ottawa doesn't have the defense or the goal tending to make playoffs. First 3 lines stack up nice, but it takes a whole team to get things done.

GO HAWKS GO!!!
Kirby Posted - 10/18/2009 : 23:40:15
I voted yes, because this year they have a dependable goalie and with a full year of Clouston, I think that will be enough to get them in.

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
n/a Posted - 10/18/2009 : 17:13:32
Canuckswillruletheworld: Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are in the same division, thus, they cannot be 1 and 2 in the east. Pens would be in the 4 spot.

Other than that . . . I almost totally agree with the way you have the east. I also voted no to Ottawa making the playoffs . . . but they are one of those teams that really could be anywhere at the end of the year.

Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto were all tough to pick really, because of all the major changes and different dynamic. I know most will have given up on Toronto's season right now after the worst start ever, but I still feel like they have a chance to go on a run at some point and be in the fight for a playoff spot (although I could be dreaming now). I still feel Ottawa and Montreal will be there, at any rate - fighting to get in.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Canuckswillrule Posted - 10/18/2009 : 15:34:43
I voted no and heres what i think.
East:
Philly
Penguins
Caps
Bruins
NYR
Devils
Canadiens
Hurricanes