Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Hot Start for Oilers

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/23/2009 : 09:48:22
Just wanted to get something going about the hot start of the Oilers including Gagne, Penner and Hemsky. After Staying pretty much the same with a coaching change and a goaltender swap the Oilers are finally looking like a serious team and a team in contention in the tough NW Division.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kirby Posted - 11/03/2009 : 16:13:31
To be fair, the Oilers were healthy when they were playing good, and have been hit hard by the flu and injuries. It is a long season as Beans has said, so at least wait to see how they do when they are all healthy again

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
Beans15 Posted - 11/03/2009 : 14:40:59
Wow, this thread got really quiet really quicky.

Has anyone else looked at the standings lately??? 7-7-1. Nice. 4-6-0 in their last 10. In fact, have but 1 win in the last 7 games.

They have one road victory all season. That's a far cry from last season where they played .500 on the road.

Why was Quinn getting the credit for the hot start but no one is blaming him for the past 5 or 6 games.

Long season folks. Long, long season.

On a side note, it also wanted to know if anyone else watched the worst effort the Oilers put forth in a game this season against the Islanders.

I bet there was one thing that no one witnessed last night. That would be Rob Schremp playing NHL hockey. He has played in on 6 games on a below average skill team.

Mac T said he didn't have it
Quinn said he didn't have it.
Now the Islanders say he didn't have it.

So to all of you arm chair GM's who said Schremp should have played last year and it was all MacT's fault he wasn't in the NHL, what's the excuse now?????
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/28/2009 : 08:52:07
The "hot" start for the oilers is looking an aweful lot like the "hot" start they had last season...

Colorado skated circles around the entire team last night, but not because Colorado was the better team. It is so frustrating to cheer for the oilers when the only guy on the ice doing anything productive is the goalie.

The only thing the Oilers had a lot of last night was turnovers.

-Poor passing
-Poor checking
-No presence in the offensive end
-High paid player's doing nothing (watching Horcoff blow that 3 on 1 was the worst part of the game for me)

I guess the Oiler's PK was decent at least.

Short Term fixes:
-Bench Horcoff, he needs some time to think about how awful he is playing, maybe after a forced vacation he can come back and learn to play on a team.

-Immediate work on the passing game. The passes themselves are good but no one is controlling them very well on the receiving end.

-Find a way to get more depth on the team. One decent line can't carry a team.

-Stop the bloody turnovers already!

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/27/2009 : 13:36:33
Thus far I will grant that the Oilers have:

MUCH Better Goal Tending in Khabibulin
ONE good line

Quinn can run four lines sure, but the oilers only have one that's come to play in the last 3 games.

Hopefully it is just the flu and injuries getting them down. We'll see.

Leafs81 Posted - 10/27/2009 : 12:48:48
quote:
Originally posted by lyall

The Oilers do seem like a totally new team this year. If you watch post game interviews last year the players and coach would always talk about they good things they did in games even when they lost. This year they never seem to be satisfied. They are winning games but know that they still need to get better and fix their mistakes. They have been getting better every game as well.
The goaltending has been solid, keeping the Oilers in the game.
The defense is strong keeping shots to the outside.
The offense is burying the puck when they get the chance.
The Oil are 2nd in goals/game at 3.89 and also 2nd in +/- with +9. Good Offense and responsible defense. They Oilers are rolling 4 lines and are getting points from everywhere. Ten Oilers have at least 2 goals and nine Oilers with at least 5 points.
And they still have lots of things to improve on. PP, PK, face offs.
The point is that the Oilers are winning and improving. It is a long season, and they may slip at times, but right now they are doing good and I'm just going to enjoy and not wait for them to mess up.

That's Pat Quinn for you. I remember him in Toronto, they were winning and he never had anything positive to say.

Also he runs 4 lines quite well.
Beans15 Posted - 10/26/2009 : 20:37:16
Quinn has gotten the credit, all of it. EVERYONE is saying how different this team is now that Quinn (and Renney) are here.

More than anything else, this team is accountable now. More so than previous years.

However, for each Penner and Gagner, there is a Horcoff and Grebeshkov. There are some of the Oilers players that have tanked under Quinn. Not only the 2 I mentioned, but also Moreau, Gilbert, and in some respects Hemsky until he got some candy from playing with Penner on the 5 point night. To be a legitimate playoff team they will need those guys to compete. Especially until Souray is back.

Plainly put, Grebeshkov and Gilbert have been aweful to this point.

The past to games have been tough. Flu and injuries have 7 or 8 players out. We'll see how the team looks against Colorado tomorrow.

(On a side note, I will be enjoying the game tomorrow evening from an Executive Suite at Rexall. All costs covered!! Schweet!)
Guest4097 Posted - 10/26/2009 : 18:09:30
Why doesnt Quinn get any credit
lyall Posted - 10/24/2009 : 12:14:52
The Oilers do seem like a totally new team this year. If you watch post game interviews last year the players and coach would always talk about they good things they did in games even when they lost. This year they never seem to be satisfied. They are winning games but know that they still need to get better and fix their mistakes. They have been getting better every game as well.
The goaltending has been solid, keeping the Oilers in the game.
The defense is strong keeping shots to the outside.
The offense is burying the puck when they get the chance.
The Oil are 2nd in goals/game at 3.89 and also 2nd in +/- with +9. Good Offense and responsible defense. They Oilers are rolling 4 lines and are getting points from everywhere. Ten Oilers have at least 2 goals and nine Oilers with at least 5 points.
And they still have lots of things to improve on. PP, PK, face offs.
The point is that the Oilers are winning and improving. It is a long season, and they may slip at times, but right now they are doing good and I'm just going to enjoy and not wait for them to mess up.
tbar Posted - 10/24/2009 : 11:28:43
Well the reason I asked how many points the oil missed the playoffs bye last year was because I didnt think it was much. So with the 5 points they have allready gained, compared to where they were last year at this time. The Oiul would ave to play the rest of the season with the same record as last year and get 1 extra win and they would have made the playoffs. Im just trying to show that 5 points at anytime of the year is huge especially if you are a team that will be on the bubble for a playoff spot. And yes Beans you are right they will have alot of ups and downs but at least at the end of the year they dont have to scrape and claw for the 5 points they allready earned at the start of the season.
Guest9494 Posted - 10/24/2009 : 11:14:59
what different between this and last year hot start hmmm actually a whole different mentality in the dressing room. This year has sparked offence from every single one of our lines we are currently 2nd in scoring. Instead of hanging onto a 1 goal lead like last year, Quinn has put it through there head they have to keep scoring. Comeback victories this year woosh I have never seen the Oilers never give up this year they have played consistent 60 minutes every game. Penner wooo Penner from Doghouse to Penthouse kinda funny how a coach who tried to turn him into a 3rd line grinder and then put under the bus, currently has the 4th most goals in the league with a new coach. Finally during that 4-0 run who was our goalie was it Rollie noooo it was Garon who lost one game then lost the starting job cuz MacT had a hard on for him. This Oilers team is a perfect example why MacT should never coach in the NHL.
Leafs81 Posted - 10/24/2009 : 10:13:56
About Penner, thanks to you Beans I picked him out last on my draft pool and he is a steal so far.

And I predicted the Oilers to be better, not because of what they did in the offseason but because of the youngster and others just playing better. Because there's a lot of talent on that team.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/24/2009 : 09:01:01
Sorry last post was mine.
Guest3341 Posted - 10/24/2009 : 08:59:49
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Don't get me wrong, I think the Oilers are off to a great start. I just don't want to put the cart before the horse. They appear to be a different team than last year. Less taking the puck to the corner and more taking the puck to the net. Less shelling up defensively with a 1 goal lead and more going for a 2 goal lead. More finishing checks and less stupid penalties. These are definately not MacT's Oilers!!

Let's face it, as good as the Oilers are playing, both the Flames and the Canucks are better teams than they have played to this point. They will improve as will the Oilers through the year.The season is not even 10 games in yet. They can go 1-6-2 in the next 8 games and be 7-8-3 just as easily if not easier than they got to where they are today.

There will be tons and tons of ups and downs in the next 7 months until the playoffs.

There are miles to go before we sleep..................................

Vancouver has been crap so far although they are improving. Where Edmonton is learning to come from behind Calgary is learning to give up the lead, so I think Edmonton has the momentum. I agree that on paper the Flames,(not the Canucks) are a better team, but on paper the Oilers didn't look like a championship team in 2006 and look what they accomplished that year.
Beans15 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 23:05:26
Don't get me wrong, I think the Oilers are off to a great start. I just don't want to put the cart before the horse. They appear to be a different team than last year. Less taking the puck to the corner and more taking the puck to the net. Less shelling up defensively with a 1 goal lead and more going for a 2 goal lead. More finishing checks and less stupid penalties. These are definately not MacT's Oilers!!

Let's face it, as good as the Oilers are playing, both the Flames and the Canucks are better teams than they have played to this point. They will improve as will the Oilers through the year.The season is not even 10 games in yet. They can go 1-6-2 in the next 8 games and be 7-8-3 just as easily if not easier than they got to where they are today.

There will be tons and tons of ups and downs in the next 7 months until the playoffs.

There are miles to go before we sleep..................................
Guest0990 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 15:59:55
unless your Detroit... but they may have passed the torch to Pittsburgh in game 7 last year
polishexpress Posted - 10/23/2009 : 15:14:21
The oilers missed the playoffs by 6 points (Anaheim had 91pts, so 7pts were needed to beat Anaheim). Beans is right that statistically, the Oilers are only marginally better. But watching a great deal of their games last year, and comparing their games this year, they are a totally different team. Different chemistry, different attitude, although last year's tendencies are still showing a lot. The coaching change is exactly what they needed. The players needed a different style of coaching, a different strategy to succeed.

Although I still think it will be tough for Oil to make the playoffs, they will be more consistent this year. In fact, they have not lost a single game this year by less than a goal, including up to the Columbus game. Khabibulin has kept them in those games, but the Columbus game is a great example of the change in attitude: I don't remember any come-from-behind wins last year, at least not 3-goal margins. When the Oil made the playoffs, and then finals in '06, the Oilers played their best hockey coming from behind: they scored a lot in the third (or at least it seemed like it).

As long as your team is exciting to watch, that is all that matters, because no team can be a perennial cup favourite.
tbar Posted - 10/23/2009 : 13:23:14
Quick question how many points did the Oilers miss the playoffs bye last year?
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/23/2009 : 12:03:01
Beans summed it up pretty well.

I love the Penner/Hemsky/Gags line, they we awesome last night! But at the same time I have to wonder if the Oilers have really changed all that much.

My Biggest complaint about the oilers from last season was their inconsistency across the board in all areas. Yea Goal Tending might be getting better, but could the rest of the team be a fluke?

I sincerely hope not, but only time will tell.

Beans15 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 11:56:46
Before everyon starts going nuts of Whyte ave, let's put everything into perspective.

Last year, the Oilers started 4-0 and after 8 games were 4-4, gaining 8 points.

This year, the Oilers are 6-2-1 and have 13 points.

Is it really that much of a difference??? There is definately excitement, but the improvement is really marginal over last year. The big impact right now is Penner and Brule are on fire.

It's a long, long, long season. We are only 10% through the year.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page