Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Biggest surprise in the early season?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9645 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 07:43:58
It's very early in the new season...but what do you think is the biggest surprise so far?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
brentrock2 Posted - 11/06/2009 : 02:53:19
Alex116 its really gay just keep on talking about posts and stuff so just stop and I will too.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Alex116 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 21:37:17
Brentrock....I just read your comment on another thread about the defensive pairings. Very impressive, so much so i've yet to comment. Now i come here and i see you pull out "old faithful" and tell someone to "get back on topic".

Keep up the thoughtful posts, they're much better. AND, if someone get's to you, come up with a new reply every now and then and you'll be far more tolerable.
Guest3421 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 15:29:04
The Leafs are a bad team but only 1 win.Thats bad even for the Leafs.
sharksfan44 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 14:53:36
actually since your having a bit of an arguement with us about your posts, i am on topic
brentrock2 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 14:06:09
quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

wow, ur tired and lazy a lot then

I actually am, I'm pretty much always tired and lazy. Get back on topic anyways?..??

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Axey Posted - 11/05/2009 : 07:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

I wish there was a like button ahah just the one facebook has.

Also is the leafs having one win so far really surprising?
Alex116 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 01:09:46
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0107

quote:

Id say Kopitar

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Bentrock have you ever posted anything longer than 2 lines?

Yes I can say longer, I was just tired and lazy when I posted it. And Alex116 you can't say much. You jusy say like 2-8 lines per post. I say like 1-7 lines per post.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Classic! Absolutely classic stuff there Brentrock! Yeah, i do post some short one or two line comments, but most of us do at times. Just not all the time! When my posts are short, i'm usually joking around, adding a quick bit of worthy input to a thread or roasting you. However, if you look around, i'm sure you'll see just how far off you are in saying that i "jusy say like 2-8 lines per post.". That's so far off, it's borderline comical.

Your posts on the other hand go something like this:
I like the Habs because they're my favorite team. They're my favorite team because i like them and think they're good!

Seriously kid, show me a few posts you've made which exceed two or three short lines. Then, go look at some of my posts. I mean, if you wanna roast me, cool, i can take it, but you gotta do better than that.

Here, here's actually one of my fav's from ya:

From the "does fighting prevent injuries thread"....."I said Hockey needs fights to police the game. Not much to say other than that." THAT'S IT! Wow, what a post! Without that second quality sentence, that post mighta been doomed?

Here i was this whole time the thread about Fanelli / Liambas was going on, just sitting back awaiting a 2 line Brentrock post to clear everything up and settle the debate!

Now, i'm likely gonna get in trouble for this post, but i really haven't "attacked" you, rather just defended myself against what you've said. Either way, maybe it will help to encourage you to say a little more? Then again, that could be even worse?
sharksfan44 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 17:51:05
brentrock2 Posted - 11/04/2009 : 17:23:36
quote:

quote:

Id say Kopitar

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Yes I can say longer, I was just tired and lazy when I posted it. And Alex116 you can't say much. You jusy say like 2-8 lines per post. I say like 1-7 lines per post.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Guest4944 Posted - 11/02/2009 : 17:01:52
GOSH
you guys are weird its obvious Toronto actually winning a game is the biggest surprise and even them having a shot on net is a surprise
Guest4130 Posted - 11/02/2009 : 14:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

If this poll isn't at least 75% "Avs/Anderson", i'd be shocked. Koptitar leading the league? Yeah, surprising, but we all knew he was good. In Anderson / The Avs, we're talking about a career backup finally getting his chance to play, but doing so on a team which was picked by most to finish bottom 5 (some bottom 3 and many last overall). So, what's he done?

- started all 12 games and posted a 9-1-2 record
- 9 wins (leads league)
- two shutouts (tied for 1st in league)
- 1.97 GAA (tied for 2nd)
- .940 save % (tied for 1st)

All this on a team expected to be horrendous? The answer to this poll is pretty simple if you ask me......

Guest4130 Posted - 11/02/2009 : 14:08:41
go leafs go
Guest2120 Posted - 11/01/2009 : 08:09:17
How is the ridiculous amount of injuries to star players not an option in this pool?
Alex116 Posted - 11/01/2009 : 00:19:39
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0236

How about Kabby having 17 points while playing for a team with 1 win??? I think that should be at least top 2 for shocker value!

Great point, although at the time of the poll, he had just 10 points including 5 in his last game before the poll? Regardless, the guy is totally lighting it up for a team which continues to struggle! If nothing else, fear not Leaf fans, someone's gonna overpay for this guy at the deadline, if not, before!
Guest0236 Posted - 10/31/2009 : 21:56:32
How about Kabby having 17 points while playing for a team with 1 win??? I think that should be at least top 2 for shocker value!
sharksfan44 Posted - 10/31/2009 : 19:11:25
haha alex, im right there with u on that one.
Guest9605 Posted - 10/31/2009 : 18:35:43
I think the avs suck and they'll be put in there place once anderson get's those horseshoes out of his ass. The real question should be where the hell are the staal bros!!!!!
BraydenStorm Posted - 10/30/2009 : 12:51:10
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

I voted for the leafs single victory heading to the end of October.

I didn't think they'd win a game till at least the New Year.

QFT
Alex116 Posted - 10/30/2009 : 10:32:22
quote:

quote:

Id say Kopitar

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Buddy, don't encourage him. I can barely handle his 1 and 2 line posts let alone more!!!
Guest0107 Posted - 10/30/2009 : 09:10:30
quote:

Id say Kopitar

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Beans15 Posted - 10/29/2009 : 14:54:43
It's reported that Gaborik is making the trip to Minny and will skate with the team o Friday to see if he is going to play or not. The injury seems minor and a smart team would never risk their top dog in a game this early in the season.

Gaborik is fine. He's gonna get 90+ points this year and I will win all the money in all my pools.

(I'm gonna do that regardless of Gaborik)
Axey Posted - 10/29/2009 : 13:46:35
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by WhalersForever8711

How about Gaborik ?! I know he's injured now, but I told everyone that if Gaborik is healthy he will be a danger to the opposition. But if he becomes prone to injuries again, he will be what Carl Pavano was to the Yankees, or Miroslav Satan was to the Islanders....a Bum !

You told everyone that if he is heathy he will be a danger to the opposition? Wow, where'd you come up with that brilliance? C'mon, isn't that pretty obvious? Everyone knew that is the risk with Gabby, therefore the fact he's scoring over a point a game should be no surprise. IF the poll intended it to mean that he's a surprise because he wasn't hurt yet (at time of poll), then fine, but there's no way that ranks as high in my mind as the Avs thus far. Not even close........
Also, i agree it's not just the goalie, i merely threw some of his stats out there seeing as he was in the poll along with the team. It didn't mention anyone, it was Anderson and the Avs....

On the Gabby topic, alot of people ripped him on this site and predicted NY to do poorly and that even if he was healthy would get 70 pts. Only the smart ones seen through that though.
Guest9356 Posted - 10/29/2009 : 13:21:15
Colorado = very surprising!
but how about DelZotto
Alex116 Posted - 10/29/2009 : 11:43:24
quote:

How about Gaborik ?! I know he's injured now, but I told everyone that if Gaborik is healthy he will be a danger to the opposition. But if he becomes prone to injuries again, he will be what Carl Pavano was to the Yankees, or Miroslav Satan was to the Islanders....a Bum !

You told everyone that if he is heathy he will be a danger to the opposition? Wow, where'd you come up with that brilliance? C'mon, isn't that pretty obvious? Everyone knew that is the risk with Gabby, therefore the fact he's scoring over a point a game should be no surprise. IF the poll intended it to mean that he's a surprise because he wasn't hurt yet (at time of poll), then fine, but there's no way that ranks as high in my mind as the Avs thus far. Not even close........
Also, i agree it's not just the goalie, i merely threw some of his stats out there seeing as he was in the poll along with the team. It didn't mention anyone, it was Anderson and the Avs....
leigh Posted - 10/29/2009 : 10:34:20
quote:

This is not really a surprise though. It's the same with him every year. Healthy = dangerous. Injured = useless.

I have to go with the Avs. It's a popular choice for a reason. It's been more than just great goaltending too so that's what makes it so incredible (when compared to last year only)
WhalersForever8711 Posted - 10/29/2009 : 09:57:47
n/a Posted - 10/29/2009 : 05:28:21
A well made poll by an anonymous poster . . . who said Guests were no good, eh?

Colorado is the huge suprise early, and although it *is* early . . . 22 points is 22 mofo points! I can't even just say it's all the goalie - although Anderson has been great - it's been a total team effort. That supposedly porous defence for Colorado? Been great. That weakened offense with the retirement of Sakic? Rolling right along near the top in the league.

Let's put this in perspective: Last couple of years, to get in the playoffs, teams have needed about 91 points to scrape in. Let's say, to be safe, 92 points are needed to make the playoffs this year in the west. Colorado now has 22 points, which means they need another 70 points in . . . 69 games.

For the rest of the season, they need only 34 wins and a tie. Or, to make it even more realistic . . . Colorado can go 30-30-10, and glide into the playoffs.

Yes, it's early, but with the way the whole team has been playing, I don't see a huge drop-off in terms of level of play to come, and the playoffs are not just a dream anymore for these guys. It's not just Anderson, it's everyone, including the coach.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
brentrock2 Posted - 10/29/2009 : 02:53:13
Id say Kopitar

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
admin Posted - 10/28/2009 : 23:50:19
Thanks for the poll guest 9645, I've made it our feature poll on the homepage. Cheers!
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/28/2009 : 16:30:09
i agree leafs81, last year i had Vokoun as one of my goalies and kept wondering why Anderson was getting the start...now i know. I also like that Duchene kid, he might give tavares and hedman a run for the calder.

MP
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/28/2009 : 16:29:34
i agree leafs81, last year i had Vokoun as one of my goalies and kept wondering why Anderson was getting the start...now i know. I also like that Duchene kid, he might give tavares and hedman a run for the calder.

MP
Leafs81 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 15:48:08
All right back on topic. For the avs I always thought Anderson was the most underrated goalie in the league. The last two years he was a stellar performer playing for the Panthers behind Vokoun shadow. And I was really hoping for the Leafs to go and pick him up in the offseason. He was, to me, the best goalie available in the NHL. So this is why I didn't vote for the Avs. Don't get me wrong I'm really surprise that they are 1st overall and that they play that well.

My vote goes to Buffalo, they have a good team, but I thought they were on the decline and they didn't do much in the offseason to improve. But they also have a great american goalie. Anyway anything is possible, and everything can still change.

Phoenix, Kopitar and the Leafs are also surprises to me.
polishexpress Posted - 10/28/2009 : 15:33:27
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Here's the biggest surprises. It's the same thing every year.

What always surprises me is how many people think the first 10 games of the year are an indication of how the entire year will go.

Remember last week?? The Oilers were on the way to the playoffs, the Leafs were on their way to the #1 draft pick, Penner was the messiah, The Caps were average, and head shots/concussions were a thing of the past.

Now look.

The NHL, year after year, is a roller coster of ups and downs, shot streaks and cold streaks for months. Not weeks. Months. This hasn't changed in literally 50 years. The surprise is how many people haven't figured this out!

Beans, if people got your point, what else would TSN, ESPN et all, have to talk about before the hockey season begins and during the beginning?
Alex116 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 14:47:31
Beans / Matt..... gotta agree with the masses. The poll simply asked what was the biggest surprise "so far". Nowhere did it say the Avs won't still finish last overall? I don't see why you think anyone is implying that the Avs will win the league or even their division? None of us have yet to "figure it out" that the first ten games every year produces some surprises. The poll was just asking which was the biggest this year? You could ask this EVERY year really.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, i think we have "figured it out"....
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/28/2009 : 14:29:41
Title of the forum is biggest surprises of the early season. Nowhere does it say anything about the entire year.

Biggest surprise for me after the first 10 games is Anderson. No one in my pool thought he'd kick off the year like this.

I don't know what he's gonna look like 30 games down the road. Hell I don't know what he'll look like tonight in Calgary. That doesn't mean I can't be surprised by his performance thus far.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Mikey Boy Posted - 10/28/2009 : 14:05:38
Very well put guest! hey beans... if your gonna enter the poll...then enter the poll. Everyone reading this topic is interested in the biggest surprise this year not your crap on the last 50 years!

MP
Guest9645 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 13:52:28
hey beans...it says right in the question " i know its early". Where does it say this list will last the entire season. Every year is a roller -coaster of ups and downs but every year is completely different from the next and worth discussing. There is no way you would have predicted that the Rangers would be the highest scoring team thus far nor Colorado would be in first place. So before you go and think your all high and mighty, look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are one of those people who havn't figured it out either!!!
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 13:47:06
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Here's the biggest surprises. It's the same thing every year.

What always surprises me is how many people think the first 10 games of the year are an indication of how the entire year will go.

Remember last week?? The Oilers were on the way to the playoffs, the Leafs were on their way to the #1 draft pick, Penner was the messiah, The Caps were average, and head shots/concussions were a thing of the past.

Now look.

The NHL, year after year, is a roller coster of ups and downs, shot streaks and cold streaks for months. Not weeks. Months. This hasn't changed in literally 50 years. The surprise is how many people haven't figured this out!

well put beans, i was thinking the same thing. I love how every pre season prediction is usually just a rehash of how things finished the year before and everyone gets so surprised when the season starts differently than expected. Things will be completley upside down by december and we will look back and chuckle....

remember the sens starting of the year like 15-1-2 or whatever it was 2 years ago? Howd that end up.... they barley made the playoffs and got swept in the first round.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest7752 Posted - 10/28/2009 : 12:21:54
I voted for the leafs single victory heading to the end of October.

I didn't think they'd win a game till at least the New Year.

Axey Posted - 10/28/2009 : 12:15:36
Avs are surprising, LA is but at the same time this was going to happen sooner or later (we'll see if it lasts). For me Vinny Prospal is the biggest surprise thus far, I picked him as my very last forward in the pool and wow lol as for Iginla, my first pick I'm not exactly happy with but I know he will pick it up.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page