Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ballard hits own goalie, Vokoun

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
polishexpress Posted - 11/30/2009 : 17:30:49
What do you think of Ballard hitting his own goalie? Ballard must feel awful, almost kills his own goalie!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sensfan101 Posted - 12/03/2009 : 13:11:34
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5612

Ballard should definetly not play baseball

Actually it was a pretty good swing

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
K73 Posted - 12/03/2009 : 12:56:43
I wanna see Ballard accidentally take out another goalie his next game, just for the sake of ridiculous amusement. Set a record for most consecutive games injuring a goalie if he doesn't have it already.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 12/03/2009 : 10:07:06
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

OK guys get a grip. Ballard lost an edge and fell into Anderson. Nothing intentional involved at all.

hahah yea, apparently Adam Foote beat him down pretty good afterwards as well. Poor Ballard, what a week hes having.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Beans15 Posted - 12/03/2009 : 09:00:37
OK guys get a grip. Ballard lost an edge and fell into Anderson. Nothing intentional involved at all.
Guest5612 Posted - 12/03/2009 : 08:12:21
This does not only apply for Ballard many NHLers get pissed and slam their sticks or throw water bottles. Ballard should definetly not play baseball and thank god Vokoun only hurt his ear.

Damn! Ballard hurt Anderson yesterday probably minor but goalies should watch out now Ballard is hunting them down one at a time now!
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/02/2009 : 21:36:42
Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, maybe a fine from the league (I realize he hit his own goalie, but I thought these guys were professionals).

Yes I myself have thrown water bottles and slammed doors in frustration, but I'm not a professional athlete, playing games is not what I do for a living.

I work in a warehouse for a living, the guys I work with will swear like sailors when they get frustrated. But if one of them were to throw a wrench or a boot (it's happened) they get suspended without pay. Why? It's called being un-professional.

Athletes should be more aware of this than the average joe because when they have tantrums it ends up on youtube. Were I an NHL governor I wouldn't be paying guys millions of dollars to act like children after the whistle blows.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Alex116 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 20:22:38
Wow! Dog beatings, cycling/speed skating comparisons and even peanut butter sandwich references all in on thread! Nothing short of sensational!

In all seriousness (lol, not even sure that's a word?), i stand by what i said earlier. If the league decided to punish guys for acts like this, i'd be fine with a suspension. BUT, they'd have to make it an offense whether or not he hit anyone! Change the rules or start enforcing them if they're supposed to be interpretted to include this sort of thing and i'd be okay with it.

Regardless though, as bad as Ballard looks for what he did, Plaxico's got him beat big time. I mean, the guy did shoot himself!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 12/02/2009 : 15:53:11
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Guy breaks stick over the post for the millionth time in hockey history, accidently hits his goalie and you got that he can go home and beat his dog If he wanted to, once again some of you guys need to give your head a shake! Absolutely ridiculous. Sorry If you have never gotten angry in your life I didn't realise you were perfect. The only thing I was trying to say was that If you are going to give a penalty or suspend a guy because he gets mad we wouldn't have enough players left in the league.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Actually, I was simply stating my opinion and asking why is this acceptable behaviour?

Why should a professional acting out in the most childish of ways not be looked at questionably?

Of course I get mad, even if I do think I'm perfect . I just choose not to throw tantrums and break my toys when I do get mad. If that makes me ridiculous, I'm okay with that.

I am not saying penalize a player for getting mad, I'm saying stop the antics for the better of the game and it's fans, some of which idolize these professionals. Any game/contest is designed to promote sportsmanship and at the professional level, they should be the biggest proponents of it, Unfortunately, not the case. I mean really, does watching a grown man break his hockey stick on purpose really need to be part of the game. To me, for apparently a million times, it just looks silly.

It does get me thinking though....next time I get mad and frustrated at work, if I smash my monitor into the wall, I'll bet I get that extended vacation I dream of.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 12/02/2009 : 15:38:09
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I thought it had been reported as a concussion, fair enough - no substantial injuries that we know of . . . but then again, would the team have reported the extent of injuries differently had it come at the hands of an opponent?

(I reject Fat Elvi's attempt to deflect me asking a question it was uncomfortable for him to answer.)

This is the thing . . . whether you hit an opponent, or a teammate, it's still careless and dangerous use of the stick. It's still unsportsmanlike conduct. All penalties, all worthy of suspension when injuring another player, especially when it concerns the head, especially after the whistle/goal.

Furthermore, Fat Elvis - who else in the thread, before you posted, thought that Ballard had committed an offence punishable by suspension? You say I assumed something . . . and I did, even stating it - was there anyone calling for a longer suspension than I was? No. Did you say that some posters had gone overboard in their calls for justice? Yes, the tarred and feathered comment. So please, tell me where I made an ass out of myself . . . you said some have gone overboard, I called for the greatest/strictest suspension, and I stated that I assumed I was (should have said "was one of", I suppose one of the ones) the guy you were talking about.

Who were you talking about then as going overboard? I called for 3-5 games, and many called for one or two games. You now say that one game for unsportsmanlike would be appropriate.

2 games difference is overboard? I don't find it much of a difference, frankly. I add on two games probably because it involves the head, and because it was extremely dangerous and could have been even worse. I agree with the rest of what you said - penalty also deserved.

Basically, we agree; I just think it should be stricter, in regards to the mishap involving a players head getting hit by a stick which could have resulted in serious injury.

Don't tar and feather me now for assuming anything or using the dreaded word "if"!!!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Uhhh...Slozo, buddy, try the decaf next time... , I never said or attempted to suggest, I was decrying YOUR opinion, as I already stated...a summation of various posters.

- not sure what question I was 'uncomfortable' with, was there one?, other than anything speculative(more palatable than what if, I hope). Ask away, I'll be glad to answer.

-tarred and feathered, as I mentioned was a coined phrase, my mistake, should have used something less inflammatory, perhaps. If so, I apologize for my flippancy. Replace 'tarred and feathered' with 'in my opinion, too harshly disciplined' and it probably makes a truer indication of my intent. I never stated anyone went overboard with their suggestions.

- I never called you an ass, if anything, I suggested, if we both continued to assume the intent of each other's posts, I could be the ass... and that could be appropriate, easily

- I never said a game suspension, I said a major penalty or game misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct, pending review, maybe this incident will hopefully initiate better usage of the unsportsmanlike option.

- In this case, weird and strange as it was, and do to the relatively fortunate outcome, it should be left as is regarding any subsequent discipline.

- had the circumstance and outcome been any different, an opposing player, an injured fan, of course the discipline would be completely different, but the situation was what it was.

- I don't dread the what ifs, I just have trouble stopping them once they start, too infinite. What if I was richer, slimmer, taller, better looking, younger...the list goes on and on.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 15:26:32
No worries Beans.

I left the statement with the phrase "you're small brain" in as a lasting legacy of intellectual greatness.

Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 15:12:14
Guys, c'mon. Do you think any of the moderators have time to or want to have to go through these kinds of posts???

Shut it down. If it's not about the topic at hand, don't even bother making the post.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/02/2009 : 14:35:52
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

quote:

Yep it looks like he has been made to feel shame and probably owe's Vokun a few more blocked shots.

Ya its a joke if any one of you guys posting for a suspension can honestly say you have never done anything like this getting mad on the ice then like canucksman said you're not human. I've hextalled more than a few sticks over the net in my time.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

You sound more like you've hit a few posts with your head in your time.

Right on bud you're a tough guy on an online forum. Maybe loosen up your cape Superman because it's apparently cutting off the circulation to you're small brain.

For a guy that won't even sign up on the site you write an awful lot of nonsensical garbage on here. Man up you're a joke maybe go buy a Hedley CD and a box of razor blades and fix the problem your mother forced upon us.

Tiller you got some issues. Definatly an overeaction. You dont have to respond to every troll who posts a stupid post
Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 14:28:56
quote:

quote:

Yep it looks like he has been made to feel shame and probably owe's Vokun a few more blocked shots.

Ya its a joke if any one of you guys posting for a suspension can honestly say you have never done anything like this getting mad on the ice then like canucksman said you're not human. I've hextalled more than a few sticks over the net in my time.

Right on bud you're a tough guy on an online forum. Maybe loosen up your cape Superman because it's apparently cutting off the circulation to you're small brain.

For a guy that won't even sign up on the site you write an awful lot of nonsensical garbage on here. [ moderator edit ]

Canucks Man Posted - 12/02/2009 : 14:22:32
Guy breaks stick over the post for the millionth time in hockey history, accidently hits his goalie and you got that he can go home and beat his dog If he wanted to, once again some of you guys need to give your head a shake! Absolutely ridiculous. Sorry If you have never gotten angry in your life I didn't realise you were perfect. The only thing I was trying to say was that If you are going to give a penalty or suspend a guy because he gets mad we wouldn't have enough players left in the league.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:53:44
I thought it had been reported as a concussion, fair enough - no substantial injuries that we know of . . . but then again, would the team have reported the extent of injuries differently had it come at the hands of an opponent?

(I reject Fat Elvi's attempt to deflect me asking a question it was uncomfortable for him to answer.)

This is the thing . . . whether you hit an opponent, or a teammate, it's still careless and dangerous use of the stick. It's still unsportsmanlike conduct. All penalties, all worthy of suspension when injuring another player, especially when it concerns the head, especially after the whistle/goal.

Furthermore, Fat Elvis - who else in the thread, before you posted, thought that Ballard had committed an offence punishable by suspension? You say I assumed something . . . and I did, even stating it - was there anyone calling for a longer suspension than I was? No. Did you say that some posters had gone overboard in their calls for justice? Yes, the tarred and feathered comment. So please, tell me where I made an ass out of myself . . . you said some have gone overboard, I called for the greatest/strictest suspension, and I stated that I assumed I was (should have said "was one of", I suppose one of the ones) the guy you were talking about.

Who were you talking about then as going overboard? I called for 3-5 games, and many called for one or two games. You now say that one game for unsportsmanlike would be appropriate.

2 games difference is overboard? I don't find it much of a difference, frankly. I add on two games probably because it involves the head, and because it was extremely dangerous and could have been even worse. I agree with the rest of what you said - penalty also deserved.

Basically, we agree; I just think it should be stricter, in regards to the mishap involving a players head getting hit by a stick which could have resulted in serious injury.

Don't tar and feather me now for assuming anything or using the dreaded word "if"!!!

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:49:46
I agree with FER, this should never be acceptable, but it does happen....

I seem to remember Roenick tossing a water bottle at the refs after getting high sticked with no call. Hell, a week ago Alfredsson threw his stick at Zach Parise because he had a breakaway on an empty net, since when was it ok to throw hockey sticks?

Back to what FER said, I have a buddy on my hockey team who goes through sticks like he goes through cigarettes. Every game he breaks at least 1, on purpose! f***ing $200 hockey sticks are smashed to peices because he took a penalty, or the other team scored or we lost the game, just stupid s*** and it pisses off everyone on the team. We finally had to sit him down and tell him to stop, its completley unacceptable.

Something like this thing with Ballard is just more proof that its never a good idea to start smashing things with a hockey stick. its just dumb and it makes you look like a sore loser.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:29:19
We've all done it.....
He's only human...
show a little frustration...

I hear what you guys are saying, but does that it make it acceptable? Is it sportsmanlike conduct? Breaking a stick?

What's next?, punching the dog? 'Yeah, I went -4 tonight, s'okay tho, i'll beat the crap out of the dog when I get home, caused I'm only a frustrated human and we've all done it'....

Please, we HAVEN'T all done it. Been frustrated while playing hockey due to a bad play, for sure, but degenerate into a neandrethal and break things? Speak for yourselves, and I for one, would like to be able hold professionals to a little higher scrutiny.

They cash the cheques, they have to be accountable for their professional behaviour like the rest of us when working...
Guest7752 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:12:37
quote:

Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:43:47

Canucks Man Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:38:38
quote:

quote:

quote:

All though he does not really deserve it - he should get a fine or suspension - whatever.
He cannot get away with nothing.
Even if he did not chop Vokoun's ear off, it's his actions he should get reprimanded for.
As should any other players swinging their sticks at someone else's property.
He'd be in jail if his stick was swung at your window, wouldn't he?
Everyone gets frustrated at some time or another at their "work place". But all professionals at any job do not destroy property.

If he Broke your window he would get charged with destroying someone elses property, all he was doing was breaking his own stick! He didn't do any damage to arena or league property I doubt even paint chipped off the post. People would also be arrested for bare knuckle brawling in a bar or work place would they not? If you body checked someone on the street it would be assualt would it not? If you beaked a guy for wearing a pink shirt or doing something stupid you could get arrested, right? Face it theres no need for any punishement here.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Punishments are not only dependant on the damage or injuries sustained. They are equally based on the "intent" to damage or injure.
If someone intends to beat the crap out of you but does not touch you because he tripped and broke his finger before his fist hit you - he still gets "punished".
And so should Ballard for intending to beat the sh*t out of the net, which is not his property, nor the NHL's property.
Maybe the arena ownership should get involved and sue him for intended vandalism.... just to set an example to the rest of the players that this behavior is not acceptable.

Ohh Man, I have not laughed that hard in a while. Intending to beat the sh*t out of the net? Big metal post vs stick that will break if you take a shot the wrong way, the only message you would be sending is that it is not ok to be human, I feel like breaking my key board when I read some of the posts on this topic. Honestly unsportsmanlike conduct? Ovechkin can dance over stick after he scores and make an ass out of himself after every goal but a guy can't show a little frustation on the ice? You don't think Ballard didn't already learn his lesson? The only way Flordia makes the playoffs is if Vokoun plays well enough to get them there, plus Vokouns got the Oylmpics in a couple of months. Theres nothing in the rule book that says this is unsportsmanlike conduct, and you don't get a penalty for high sticking your own teamate no matter how careless it was. this was just a freak accident.
and Tiller33 it looks like we will actually be seeing Ballard in the NHL tonight, playing the Colorado Avalanche.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:36:45
quote:

quote:

Did you seriously just compare cycling and speed skating to Hockey in a hockey forum??????

Other than the Tour De France name a bike race you could have at least said Tennis or Golf or even Cricket something relevant

who the he*l is comparing... can you not read man!!!!
you're so paranoid!!! what are you afriad of... we're not all out to hang you by your ba*ls
you're worse of than i thought

This is great what am I paranoid about exactly?

And what am I worse of?

And leave my balls out of this

phlyguy90 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:24:20
i have no problem with the action of breaking a stick on a goal post out of frustration....in fact i have done the same thing numerous times, but in this instance i think a 2 game suspension is in order....totally irresponsible.
Guest7752 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:21:41
quote:

Did you seriously just compare cycling and speed skating to Hockey in a hockey forum??????

Other than the Tour De France name a bike race you could have at least said Tennis or Golf or even Cricket something relevant

who the he*l is comparing... can you not read man!!!!
you're so paranoid!!! what are you afriad of... we're not all out to hang you by your ba*ls
you're worse of than i thought
Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:19:37

Guest7752 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:16:05
get real sir....
there are other non-american sports out there...
cylcing
speedskating
rugby
racing
etc....
get your mind out ot toronto... it's not representative of the entire world
Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 12:06:03
quote:

That's the problem here - nobody reminds the players of anything having to do with respect anymore.
By reminding the players, I mean calling these penalties you mention for any unsportsmanlike conduct.
Hockey always was, and should remain a rough, hard hitting sport - but what’s missing in hockey is the respect for the opposition, respect for the refs, respect for the game, and respect for the rules. I think that's why hockey will never be on a world-class scale as other sports much more popular all over the world.
Incidents such as this are laughed at and pushed away as venting frustrations... which are wrong.
How can we sell hockey all over the world with attitudes like this, as well as attitude that if you don't like this - then go away.
Ovie himself is taking this too far with his knee-on-knee, followed by what I believe to be a "fake" injury to undermine the incident.

Wow

So in baseball the respect for the game and rules is shown in massive use of steroids over the last 2 decades where most of the icons of our generation are now questioned to be worthy of the Hall of Fame

Football respect for the game and rules is shown through prominent use of performance enchaning drugs which is only a 4 game suspension and guys like Shawn Merriman get suspended and still voted into the Pro Bowl

Soccer arguably the most popular sport worldwide is founded on the ability to sell a fake injury to the referees ergo lieing and not respecting them.

Basketball became such a joke that the Commisioner had to institute a dress code for players.

Ya this makes hockey way more embarassing than the other major worldwide sports ...

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 12/02/2009 : 11:46:40
Actually Slozo, I wasn't singling anyone out, I was using a coined phrase as a summation of various poster's comments.
Try not to assume my friend, you assume I'm being confrontational and argumentative, I then assume you're being paranoid and defensive, you assume...I assume...we both ass...ume.

My point is simply as I stated, the rules are there, use them. The problem, is the age old one that rules try to enforce, mostly unsuccessfully, that of intent versus result.

Should the punishment fit the crime? Of course....tempered with judgement regarding intent. I would bet my children's college funds that Ballard did not intend to whack the bejeepers out of Vokoun. Unfortunate circumstance.

Had the play been followed up with a significant penalty, and accompanying review, for careless unsportsmanlike conduct, it would have then sent a message that you are responsible for your actions regardless of circumstance.

A suspension for inadvertently injuring your own teammate, in my opinion, shouldn't garner said suspension, leave that for the team to deal with, if they so choose.

Had the inadvertent injury occurred to an opponent, well, then, that would....wait that's getting into the 'what if' world.

I choose to deal with 'what ifs' with my own little analogy,
'What if your Aunt Martha had a package, would she then be your Uncle Marty?'....

The situations need to be defined individually, not in
'what ifs',

In this case, I would have preferred to have seen, a major penalty, or perhaps a game misconduct for unsportsmanlike, with the ensuing 2 minute PP, based on the results from this unintentionable, yet punishable, offence.

Just my opinion, and remember, ASS/U/ME
Guest7752 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 10:19:14
That's the problem here - nobody reminds the players of anything having to do with respect anymore.
By reminding the players, I mean calling these penalties you mention for any unsportsmanlike conduct.
Hockey always was, and should remain a rough, hard hitting sport - but what’s missing in hockey is the respect for the opposition, respect for the refs, respect for the game, and respect for the rules. I think that's why hockey will never be on a world-class scale as other sports much more popular all over the world.
Incidents such as this are laughed at and pushed away as venting frustrations... which are wrong.
How can we sell hockey all over the world with attitudes like this, as well as attitude that if you don't like this - then go away.
Ovie himself is taking this too far with his knee-on-knee, followed by what I believe to be a "fake" injury to undermine the incident.
Tiller33 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 10:18:07
He doesn't have a serious concussion just a couple stitches. No signs of concussion of hearing impairment and is sitting out tonights game as a precaution.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AtnycxaAmWNa_glZekTDkalivLYF?slug=rotowire-omasokounillotlayedn&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Imagine if a hockey player ate a peanut butter sandwich then came to the rink coughed and some peant particles landed on another player who went home and snuggled with his wife who was allergic to peanuts, went into anaphylactic shock and died.

Really come on its getting rigoddamndiculous it was a retarded move on Ballard's part and not even close to a suspendable act hence the reason the league came out and said they never even considered looking at it.

n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 10:10:37
Fat Elvis - assuming you were referring to me when you say that some here want to see Ballard "tarred and feathered":

Is 3-5 games suspension for causing a serious concussion after the play "tarring and feathering" in your world? Because it ain't in mine.

You are right - penalty should have been called. It's in the rulebook. Terrible reffing.

Injury as a result of a non-hockey play after a goal? Suspendable.

I'll ask you this, Fat Elvis: What if the hockey player in question had skated to the bench, broken his stick in frustration over the boards, and a flying shard of wood from the broken stick flew through the protective mesh and landed in some kid's eye, causing it damage? It's even more unlikely obviously, but it's also a similar circumstance, and just as unintentional.

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 12/02/2009 : 09:48:40
I do wonder why the refs don't utilize the existing Unsporstmanlike Conduct penalties that are available to them.

That is simply what this was...unspotsmanlike conduct, that went awry. I realize it is serious, but let's take a breath and get a grip a bit here, some would see him tarred and feathered.

The rules allow for various levels of punishment for the aforementioned penalty, from a minor to a match and everything in between. Maybe if the call would be used with more discretion and frequency, the childish behaviour could begin to be controlled a bit.

I understand the frustration, but they are professionals, and in these particular instances need to maybe be reminded of that. 2 minutes in the penalty box, and giving the opponent a power play, after they just scored, would cause much introspection methinks.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 09:43:24
Beans - if you don't completely disagree . . . where exactly do you disagree?

You ask "if a water bottle is thrown, will they get a suspension??"

Wow, I don't know Beans . . . when is the water bottle thrown, at whom is it thrown, who does it actually hit, and is there an injury as a result, and how sever is the injury if so?

I'll answer your hypothetical 'accusation' then. OR let me put it to you this way: if the bottle is thrown by a player or coach on purpose towards the referee and it causes the ref slight injury or at the very least makes him duck - then yes, suspension is warranted. That would fall under assaulting the referee, and is a serious charge.

Give me an actual scenario, and I'll answer that question - but I have a feeling you were just posing a ridiculous, rhetorical question.

Then you ask, "if they angrily slam the door to the penalty box, will there be a suspension??"

What the heck closing a penalty box door has to do with this incident is beyond me . . . and what is also beyond me is why you take an aggressive, accusatory tone (double question marks will do that) that implies I am being ridiculous to suggest
that a suspension should be levied for careless use of the stick after the play that resulted in a serious concussion.

Yes, obviously the NHL needs better, clearer guidelines - I have been saying so ever since I got on this site, and have thought this for quite some time. The arbitrary (see: thought up out of Colin Campbell's imagination) nature of suspensions in the NHL as it is today is ludicrous.

Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 08:38:27
Slozo, I don't completely disagree, however if this is the case, where does one draw the line. If a water bottle is thrown, will someone get a suspension?? If they angrily slam the door to the penalty box, will there be a suspension??

If the NHL or a team is going to discipline on something like this, there needs to be some kind of guidelines.

n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 08:33:23
People, you have to remember - this is the same as an unintentional stick swing against an opponent, with a slightly different twist that makes it worse:

It happened after the play, and was not a hockey play.

So, to make a comparison, this stick swing SHOULD be worse than, say, a big swing for a slap shot that pokes an opponent's eye . . . or a chippy play where the player while lifting his stick jabs an unseen opponent behind him in the face. All unintentional - all illegal offences (careless use of the stick, high sticking, etc.)

So, this incident took place after a goal, which means: the play is dead. And, he swings his stick in a non hockey play that would often get (and SHOULD get) a penalty as well, on its own. And on top of all that, he severely injures a player while doing this - which happens to be his own player.

Definite penalty, definitely worthy of a suspension.

Anything less says, "it's ok to do this, and you should be careful, otherwise you might hurt someone if you are careless, and you'll be punished with your own guilt".

Does anyone saying no suspension think players should be governing their own behaviour with guilty feelings?

Guest7752 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 07:18:26
quote:

quote:

All though he does not really deserve it - he should get a fine or suspension - whatever.
He cannot get away with nothing.
Even if he did not chop Vokoun's ear off, it's his actions he should get reprimanded for.
As should any other players swinging their sticks at someone else's property.
He'd be in jail if his stick was swung at your window, wouldn't he?
Everyone gets frustrated at some time or another at their "work place". But all professionals at any job do not destroy property.

If he Broke your window he would get charged with destroying someone elses property, all he was doing was breaking his own stick! He didn't do any damage to arena or league property I doubt even paint chipped off the post. People would also be arrested for bare knuckle brawling in a bar or work place would they not? If you body checked someone on the street it would be assualt would it not? If you beaked a guy for wearing a pink shirt or doing something stupid you could get arrested, right? Face it theres no need for any punishement here.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Punishments are not only dependant on the damage or injuries sustained. They are equally based on the "intent" to damage or injure.
If someone intends to beat the crap out of you but does not touch you because he tripped and broke his finger before his fist hit you - he still gets "punished".
And so should Ballard for intending to beat the sh*t out of the net, which is not his property, nor the NHL's property.
Maybe the arena ownership should get involved and sue him for intended vandalism.... just to set an example to the rest of the players that this behavior is not acceptable.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 04:34:51
I am surprised that some of you don't seem to think that players should be culpable for ALL of their actions - whether it is intentional, mildly unintentional, or totally unintended. We cannot measure intent very well for the most part after all, and it is so much easier to levy fines, suspensions and penalties without trying to measure how much a player "meant" to do something.

1. It was clearly very careless use of the stick.
2. It was not a hockey play.
3. The action resulted in gross injury.

Thus, the player should be punished accordingly . . . I would think in the range of 3-5 games.

And no, I don't think the NHL willl do that.

Alex116 Posted - 12/01/2009 : 22:21:31
No way does he get anything (fine, suspension, etc) from the league and likely not from his own team. He messed up, prob feels as bad as the action made him look, but that's as far as it'll go.

Yeah, the rules do state you have to be in control of your stick at all times, blah, blah, blah, but you don't get a high sticking penalty if you clip your teammate.

I would have no problem if the league changed the rules and gave out unsportsmanlike penalties for this sort of behaviour. The NFL penalizes guys if they boot the ball away after a miss. The NBA does similar by throwing technical fouls at guys if they throw or swat the ball away after a miss or a foul or something? But, for this instance, Ballard's likely gonna get off with nothing but the embarrassment and likely a dinner or two bought for his goalie?
Guest5940 Posted - 12/01/2009 : 17:00:40
although he obviously wasn't it, kind of looks like him pissed at vokoun for not stopping that and hitting him because of that
Tiller33 Posted - 12/01/2009 : 12:22:13
haha dont worry I think we wont be seeing much of ballard after this probably be playing out his days for one of our local senior A teams

Leafs81 Posted - 12/01/2009 : 12:20:02
Al MacInnis, of all people, once slam his stick on the bench and broke his teamplayer's fingers. So stuff like this happens, it's stupid to do, but to hurt your player will give you more of a lesson then a suspenssion, a fine or anything else.

And yeah it is unsportsmanlike and dangerous to slam your stick anywhere.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page