Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Suggestions
 Bruins sign Savard

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4271 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:26:13
Boston signs one of the most underrated stars in the game for a very reasonable contract. It averages 4.2 million over 7 years. I never dreamed they could do it for that amount.

Thank god no more Toronto speculation on signing him so he can be reunited with Kessel. Burke will have to look somewhere else.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 18:40:54
I stand corrected. The site I use (nhlnumbers.com) has him listed as a UFA in their UFA list, but signed when you look at the ATL list on it's own.

My Bad.
Pasty7 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 17:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

Just to clarify Beans, are you talking about a trade for Peverley? Cause the boys in baby blue for the next two years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295472

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.

i knew i herd this somewhere!! thanks thrasher

Pasty
Pasty7 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 17:24:50
i`m 90% sure i9 herd perverly signed long term this year at the very begining 10 games in for something like 2.5 million a year for four years which is very reasonable i am going to go find the details now!

Pasty
Thrasher Posted - 12/07/2009 : 17:21:31
Just to clarify Beans, are you talking about a trade for Peverley? Cause the boys in baby blue for the next two years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295472

Beans15 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 12:56:01
Well, I don't totally disagree with your thoughts on Peverley I would believe that Peverley + Kovalchuk = Goals so would Peverley+Kessel = Goals. But I can see a concern with paying too much for a player who is still a bit unproven. I do love to watch that kid play though!

As far as Marleau, I gotta disagree. Of all the players on the Sharks, the one who normally shows up the playoffs is Marleau. Maybe not always on the score sheet but with the effort and heart. The one Shark who has the most desire to win is Marleau. Anyone remember in Calgary last year when he took a puck in the face, a stick in the face, blocked a shot, and got rocked by Phaneuf in the space of about 3 minutes?? He was out there next shift laying the lumber and digging for the puck with his lip half hanging off and still seeing stars.

I see Marleau pulling a Hossa like move. Maybe go a play in Washington or Boston for a quick year to see if he can win. He's already got 2 contracts worth a decent peice and as long as he doesn't get injured, his value does not drop from one year to the next.

I just see Marleau as a guy who wants his name on the Cup over a big payday. At least one time with the Cup. Then he will get paid, and handsomly, for his #1 centre abilities.

But ya'll know I have been wrong before. Not often, but it does happen.

(Psst. I'm not supposed to advertise these things, but this was my 4000 post. Word. )
n/a Posted - 12/07/2009 : 09:50:58
Tiller - interesting update, thanks for that!
Yeah, it is funny how there is always a way around everything . . . and I'm betting that there will be a change in the future in terms of how big a change % wise you will be able to make in terms of salary from high - low.

Beans - I like your dream top 6 for Toronto, I agree, that would be nice . . . however, it is just a dream. We'll make a Leaf fan of you yet!
Well, Peverly is having a real nice season, sure - but the test for a player like that who starts putting up great numbers with a superstar like Kovalchuk is, how does he do without him? I'd have to be convinced that Peverly is a bonified potential first liner first, before pursuing him.
I disagree with Marleau necessarily not wanting to come to a team like the Leafs unless he wins the cup in San Jose . . . he'd finally be the man on the first line, without getting shafted to the second line occasionally (or often, as was the case a year or two ago). He'd be convinced that the Leafs are going in the right direction hopefully, and there would be some trades/moves beforehand that might make him feel a true contender was being built. And to top it off, Toronto would be overpaying to get Marleau in he first place, so he would get the most lucrative offer from the Leafs, I think. Is there a more needed piece than a big, physical, talented centre with loads of offense? I think not . . . so if on the market for even a second, you know Burke will make a huge offer.

As stated previously however, if Marleau keeps playing like this, he may stay and SJ could move a couple of the other guys.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 09:43:31
Personally, I have no issue with the long contracts. In the CBA as in any business, there are loopholes which people can get their hands on. This is a loophole the GM's have found to keep inside of the Cap but still pay a player bigger dollars.

It's not like only some of the GM's can do this. They all can. It's just that some caught on sooner than others.

All is fair in love, war, and money.
Tiller33 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 08:30:26
Apparently the league is investigating the Savard signing. Basis for the investigation is the way the deal tails off considering it goes from $7 million in the first 2 years to $525 000. The league is reportedly suspicious about a closed door deal that Savard isn't going to play the last 2 years and will simply retire and the numbers at the end of the contract are simply to bring the avg cap hit down. At this points all reports are just saying its an investigation much like they did in the Pronger and Hossa siutation. The discrepancy bewteen the begining and end of the contract is pretty astonishing to me because Savard clearly warrants more money than $525 000 , which is less than the average 4th round pick makes in an entry level contract.

I'm still opposed to any contract that approaches ten years or more but I can understand the signings or a Duncan Keith or a Mike Richards more than this contract or either the pronger and Hossa deals. WIth Keith and Richards you are gambling that in the midway point of the deal they will be a bargain but with the others you are simply going against (like Mike Milbury stated on Saturday's Hotstove) the spirit of the CBA.

Yes it's not technically illegal and some will argue it is a GM's job to exploit oversights such as these, that I can't really disagree with, but at the same time we as fans suffered a work stoppage to change the finacnial make up of the game and to me this flys in the face of that. Guys like Hossa, Pronger and now Savard (and don't get me wrong its not a personal knock on them this is between player agents and GM's)are taking advantage of the salary cap by saying they will play until they are 42, 42 and 39 respectively, which is extremely rare these days (Chris Chelios aside).

It's something that will definately be addressed in the next collective bargaining session and lets just hope it doesn't turn into another war like 04-05.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Beans15 Posted - 12/07/2009 : 07:14:16
Here's my early prediction.

Before the end of January, ATL will still have a decent record and be comfortably behind Washington in the South West. You will hear a monster deal to keep Kovalchuk in ATL and he will be off the table. However, because of the deal, Peverley can not be resigned and he will be traded at the deadline and be a UFA in the off season.

Marleau will only sign with a team like the Leafs if the Sharks win the Cup. If they don't, he will sign a short term deal to a contender.

However, if the Sharks do win a Cup and Burke could get his hands on Marleau and Peverley (somehow), that is a wickedly big jump on paper offensively. Resign the monster(if he has any heart left by then) and maybe lock up on more 2nd line player to cover for any other loses in the off season.

I would like a TO on paper with a group of top 6 forwards including Peverley, Marleau, Kessel, Blake, and Hagman. Maybe that Kadri kid might even be ready.
n/a Posted - 12/07/2009 : 05:33:52
Yeah, at least someone from San Jose who is relatively young and has a bright future will be leaving. Marleau might be the biggest fish then, and people forget he's only 30 . . . and obviously in his prime years.

If I were Burke, I'd want Kovalchuk first, Marleau second, and after that . . . well, the talent pool thins out a bit (I would have had Savard third).

Tiller33 Posted - 12/06/2009 : 09:24:19
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Nabokov is also a FA this year for SJ (as well as 6 other UFA's) and Setoguchi and Pavalski as RFA's.

Marleau is definately on this way someone next season. But who's to say there won't be a deadline deal and a resign at that point.

Savard is a great pick up, but without a Kessel type sniper with him, I don't think you will see the 90-100 point season.

The San Jose situation is definately gonna get interesting with big salaries like Thorton, Boyle and Heatley. It will be somewhat similar to Chicago's situation this year. If Nabokov walks i'll be shocked but i do think one of Pavelski, Vlasic or Setoguchi will be traded due to cap issues.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Thrasher Posted - 12/02/2009 : 20:10:46
I agree with Beans, Savard is a great talent, but without a Sniper which he has always had, his passes instead of ending up in the net, end up missing or hitting the goalie in the stomach.

Wanna guess who else is struggling thus far into the season? Spezza. And Spezza is definately more talented in making his own chances and scoring his own goals. Without Heatley, Spezza has lost some options when he has the puck. Milan is doing great this year, but hes no Heatley.

Is Savard a great player? Yes, but hes best when he has someone who likes to shoot and shoot hard. But at an average of 4.2 mil? I know its not the same but Jason Blake is looking like the worst contract ever. I would pay Savard 10x what Old Blakey makes.

Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 16:58:24
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:

Nabokov is also a FA this year for SJ (as well as 6 other UFA's) and Setoguchi and Pavalski as RFA's.

Marleau is definately on this way someone next season. But who's to say there won't be a deadline deal and a resign at that point.

Savard is a great pick up, but without a Kessel type sniper with him, I don't think you will see the 90-100 point season.

Savard's best years didn't include Kessel so I'd say the point is mute any way. He is likely a 70-80 point player this year unless more time is missed. Still a point a game player who some might say is in the prime of his career on a contending team, which is starting to come together this year. If they can get all there players back for the post season they should be a team to watch.

Really??? Savard's 2nd best season was 96 points with Boston. Kessel was on the team (along with P.Bergeron, M.Sturm, and Glen Murray who were all 20+ goal scorers).

Savards best 97 point season was with Kovalchuk and Hossa and 52 and 39 goal scorer each.

Savard (even excluding the injury) is on pace for his worst season in the past 6 with 60 points. Not 70 to 80 unless he gets REALLY hot.

Who is his sniper this year??

Savard is a set up guy. He needs someone to finish his set ups.

The point is far from moot.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/02/2009 : 16:48:13
quote:

Savard's best years didn't include Kessel so I'd say the point is mute any way. He is likely a 70-80 point player this year unless more time is missed. Still a point a game player who some might say is in the prime of his career on a contending team, which is starting to come together this year. If they can get all there players back for the post season they should be a team to watch.
Beans15 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 16:42:57

sharksfan44 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 16:14:48
O man, i really hope we can hold on to marleau. he's a great player playing the best hockey in his life and even though he doent have the "c" anymore, i still consider him one of the leaders on the sharks.

its going to be tough though. we dont have to much cap space and we have a lot of guys set to become free agents. guys like marleau,blake,nabokov, pavelski and setoguchi. its gunna be tough but i really hope we can hold on and keep him on the team.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2009 : 15:37:16
Tough luck for me as a Leafs fan. Was never the biggest fan of Savard, but I didn't dislike him either . . . and he's one talented player. Oh well.

Looks like Kovalchuk is close to extending . . . Nash did in the summer . . . by the time the season is over. who's gonna be left?

I would definitely take Marleau . . . hopefully the Sharks bust in the playoffs and he will leave for sure.

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 13:42:02
the last 2 years of the deal are worth $500 000. No wonder they got the cap hit down so low. This to me smells like another deal that was done with either a buyout or a retirement in mind once the first 5 years are up.

Great signing by Chiarelli and this is nothing but good news for Bruins fans. Heh, now the question should be asked, How can Lucic get the same type of money as Savard? I know Lucic is good but he isnt near Savards level.

Also, You would think that by signing Svaard to such a low cap hit that Boston would have been able to afford the 5 mil Kessel wanted.... i guess they just didnt figure Phil was going to be part of the team long term, or at least worth the dough he wanted. Peter probably didnt think he would end up with such a low cap hit for Savard either...

ah well, I guess us Leaf fans can still hold out hope for Patrick marleau!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page