Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... NY Islanders
 Roloson - Save of the Year?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest0905 Posted - 12/22/2009 : 19:12:22
Not sure if anyone else saw these 2 saves in a row by Roloson on the Islanders, but this has to be one of the most incredible goalie feats I've ever seen. The islanders did lose 4-2 on the night, but damn this was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlT9wRqg8sE

Both saves in a row might make it one of the best ever.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 12/24/2009 : 15:42:02
Hasek as also possible the most positionally sound goalie to ever play and further developed the butteryfly style to what you see today. And let's not leave out possible the best goalie at the poke check to ever play.

Let's get a little realistic. Last season as an Oiler Roloson was their best player. He is a huge part of making the Islanders legitimate. But let's call a spade a spade. He is horrible at coming out of his net and playing the puck and for every 50 times he does that, a miracle save happens.

But putting Roloson and Hasek in the same book, let alone the same sentence is just plain stanky.
Tiller33 Posted - 12/24/2009 : 14:31:18
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Beans15[/i]
[br]What was athletic about making a stupid play at the puck, scrambling back to the net, sticking out a stick, and kicking out a leg while falling backwards??

It was nothing skill about. An ape on skates could have fallen and kicked the same way.

I will dig up a ton of saves that are better than this crap, because they are plentiful.

Hasek won 6 Vezinas making stupid plays at the puck and falling backwards ... and forwards ... and sideways ... and summersaulting
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/24/2009 : 11:45:22
quote:
[br]What was athletic about making a stupid play at the puck, scrambling back to the net, sticking out a stick, and kicking out a leg while falling backwards??

It was nothing skill about. An ape on skates could have fallen and kicked the same way.

I will dig up a ton of saves that are better than this crap, because they are plentiful.

I challenge you to find me a person that is more athletic than an Ape! Those buggers are strong! LOL

All kidding aside, if Rolli was a "skilled" goalie, he never would have made the stupid out of crease play and his save would've been ordinary and unremarkable.

I would never say Rolli made the save of the year here, but the fact that he made a semi miraculous recovery after a terrible judgement error is impressive nonetheless.

It's a great save that a smarter goalie will never have to make. But it's not everyday you see a goalie hanging off the crossbar

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/24/2009 : 09:07:39
quote:

I've never read you having a hate on for Roloson Bean's. Thought you were a fan. I thought the saves were great from a tv stand point. From a coaches prospective, he made a stupid play which made him make an unbelievable series of stops, in a game his team lost anyway. At least people are talking about the Islanders because of it.
Beans15 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 18:25:18
What was athletic about making a stupid play at the puck, scrambling back to the net, sticking out a stick, and kicking out a leg while falling backwards??

Guest6189 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 15:15:53
I hear ya K73. It really was a brilliant save by Roloson. I guess what i mean is that in the paddle save the he did it looked as though it was a wing and a prayer and he was just throwing out the stick in hopes of making contact - he did and he looked great for doing so - a great save but much more lucky. In Kiprusoff's save, the puck was already flying through the air and you can watch him track it and then react by moving his foot to where the puck is rather than just throwing it there. This is emphasized by the kicking follow through that he does. Both great saves, but I like kipper's better. Completely subjective no doubt.

The kick save the roloson did on the second effort was really spectacular to me. Much more intentional. he was clearly coming around to paly a puck that was already in motion.

HawkinOilCountry - I agree, Roloson's saves were incredibly athletic!
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/23/2009 : 15:06:24
Yea, you can't say that Rolli's saves were unintentional. He definitely intended to stop the puck from crossing the goal line.

And in comparing Kipper's save to Rolli's, I think both look spectacular on the replay, and both are incredibly lucky. But on Kipper's you don't need to edit out a bad out of position play.

You can't even say Kipper's was better athletically. Rolli had to hang himself off the net to stop himself from accidentally knocking the puck in.

Both amazing saves, but one of them shouldn't have NEEDED to happen (Rolli). Spent a lot of Oilers games yelling at him to get back in his crease.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
K73 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 14:07:25
When he's in the net, Roli can stand on his head and make some incredible saves, as shown here. But as beans said, his timing is terrible and his plays sloppy when leaving the net.

Which makes it somewhat ironic that it wasn't him, but Conklin, who lost Game 1 on a stupid out-of-net play.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guest6189[/i]
[br]Roloson's save was incredible but I would definitely not call it the save of the year.

This save by Kiprusoff earlier in December is much better. Kiprusoff actually intends to make the save and tracks the puck as it goes through the air. An intentional save rather than a lucky one like Roloson's...http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=2624

how is roloson's save not intentional? both were intentional, but Kippers was way more luck - amazing stick save and lucky pad save, versus kicking the puck out of the air with the edge of your skate. Kippers is still the better save in my mind though - more visually impressive, and he didnt make a stupid play that lead to the scoring chance
Guest6189 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 14:01:16
Roloson's save was incredible but I would definitely not call it the save of the year.

This save by Kiprusoff earlier in December is much better. Kiprusoff actually intends to make the save and tracks the puck as it goes through the air. An intentional save rather than a lucky one like Roloson's...http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=2624
Guest9836 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 12:25:25
Call it what you will, but all save of the year contenders are flukes that usually involve a goalie leaping accross his crease to knock a puck out of mid air. Often times they're bailing themselves out from being out of position. It's still pretty wild that in this instance he saved himself in stunning fashion (to those who've never seen it before).

I could definately see how this attention would piss off Oiler fans though if it was a regular occurence, that is, if he always had to make plays like this because of his own errors..
polishexpress Posted - 12/23/2009 : 11:26:06
I agree completely with beans, Roloson did this all the time in Edmonton, except more often a defenseman would save it off the line.

And really, how is that the save of the year? A save of the year candidate should not be based on a flukey play like that Roloson save.

Save of the year should include a play where the goaltender makes a save due to a combination of skill, agility, athleticism, and chance, not a play that develops as a result of goalie error.
Guest9836 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 08:23:05
How about we open it up, if you think this is a junk save, post some youtube clips you think are the best...
Guest9836 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 08:20:23
Definately lucky, but like you said all the "great" saves are, at least the great looking ones. The real best saves are when it looks easy, but they don't make great youtube fodder.

I'm going to enjoy this for what it is, a cool looking double save that didn't result in a goal. (C'mon you didn't think that was good timing on the first stick save...)
Beans15 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 07:44:17
I watched Roloson do this night after night in Edmonton. Only he didn't make the saves in E-Town.

Roloson is easily the worst goalie at timing when to leave his crease. Completely horrible.

And I don't think these saves were really that good. I know that most brilliant saves don't have a ton of skill involved. Most of them are more luck than skill. But this was a flopping goof who got lucky. Twice.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 07:27:50
that was f'n close, the puck is 3/4 over the line. just an incredible save(s)

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest9836 Posted - 12/23/2009 : 06:23:25
Love the hanging off the net, I don't know how that didn't fall over on him.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page