Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 2010 World Juniors

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 12/26/2009 : 00:34:59
It is that time again, as later today the 2010 WJHC will take place. I thought I would start a thread for all of us to discuss this fine Tournament during it's time.

Feel free to make predictions of any sort (Who will win gold, who will win Tourney MVP, who lead in goals/overall points.)

It's open for discussion of any sort, related to the WJHC!

Here are some of my predictions:

Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Russia
4th: Slovakia
---

Leading Point Getter Overall: Tatar (Slovakia)
Leader for Canada: Hall
Leader for Russia: Filatov

Irvine/prez.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
irvine Posted - 12/28/2009 : 16:10:56
The only prelim challenge the US may have is again the USA, and i'm not even sure about that yet. I've not seen a lot of the US, just around 2 periods of their game vs Slovakia. But, the US looked a bit sloppy. Especially early on.

So i'm not even sold on the US giving Canada a run for their money,

but I am certain the Swedes will in the Gold Medal Game, assuming both teams make it.

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 15:12:28
Ok, couple of things to talk about with the game today. Granted I missed the 1st period, however the Swiss are a couple of steps up on Latvia.

A few things I noticed. Taylor Hall has bright career. Great hands, strong on the puck, and smart.

Kadri is a significantly better defensive player than I gave him credit for. However, I watched him skate his way directly into the defensive core at least 6 times, he has that I'm small so I have to hit more attitude, and the guy skates like bambi on ice. Not very fluid. Good thing he has good hands himself.

He's got a long ways to go.

Hope Canada gets at least a challenge in the prelim round or it will hurt them in the end.
tbar Posted - 12/28/2009 : 11:11:04
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It would be nice to the the IIHF do something about the goals for tie breaker. Perhaps a rule can be put in that the largest goal differential that would be used would be 10 goals. So if a game such as yesterday happens, 10 of the 16 goals Canada scored would count. That way, the Canadians can focus on staying healthy and leaving the poor Latvians with a bit of self respect. It's simply not fun for either side in a game like yesterdays. When one team scored more goals than the other team gets shots, it's just not right.

Couldn't agree more. No one needs to run up a score like that. Well, if that's a tie breaker, then i guess you do, but you get what i mean. It would be interesting to see what a team would do to "take it easy" on another team? Try to play keep away? Don't shoot as hard? Purposely miss the net? Have d play f and vice versa? Regardless, something should be done as no team needs to be embarrassed like that.

When I am coaching in a game where we are up big time we focus on defense.I'll chalange the players to not allow a shot from closer then the top of the circles or something to that extent. That ussually means we are going to be playing the trap. We will work on the forcheck and cycle. Dump the puck in go hard turn it over and then cycle for a while till you lose it or if sucseful after a while give it to the D-Man for a point shot. If those go in what can you do. But yah theyre are tons of things a coach can do in a game like that to try to help his team down the road.
irvine Posted - 12/27/2009 : 12:17:43
It would allow a team like Canada to tweak other aspects of their game also. Once up 10-0, they can then focus on not allowing two-man rushes to their zone, tweaking the little things.

They'd not worry about scoring any more. It'd be defense first.

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 10:28:01
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It would be nice to the the IIHF do something about the goals for tie breaker. Perhaps a rule can be put in that the largest goal differential that would be used would be 10 goals. So if a game such as yesterday happens, 10 of the 16 goals Canada scored would count. That way, the Canadians can focus on staying healthy and leaving the poor Latvians with a bit of self respect. It's simply not fun for either side in a game like yesterdays. When one team scored more goals than the other team gets shots, it's just not right.

Couldn't agree more. No one needs to run up a score like that. Well, if that's a tie breaker, then i guess you do, but you get what i mean. It would be interesting to see what a team would do to "take it easy" on another team? Try to play keep away? Don't shoot as hard? Purposely miss the net? Have d play f and vice versa? Regardless, something should be done as no team needs to be embarrassed like that.
Beans15 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 08:54:45

irvine Posted - 12/26/2009 : 13:54:05
It's great seeing a couple of New Brunswick players there. Since the loss of Bourden, we've not produced many since.

Goalie Jake Allen & Captain Patrice Cormier!

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 12/26/2009 : 12:03:44
I think it comes down to Canada, Sweden and Russia challenging for the medals. US could sneak in there with what would prob be called a mild upset vs one of these teams? I get the feeling that we're (Canada) in tough this year with so few of our scorers from last year returning. Yes, every year new one's emerge, but it sure would be nice to see a couple more returnees. Evander Kane sticking in Atl was somewhat unexpected and if Cody Hodgson wasn't injured, he'd be a shoo-in to lead this team! We look as though we're gonna have to play a little more defensive this time around and mix that with our usual physical play. I could see J. Eberle challenge T. Hall for the leading scorer for Canada. Don't know much about our goalies, anyone comment on them?

Regardless, gonna be fun to watch these future stars as it always is. Go CANADA Go!

Overall point leader - N. Filatov (Russia)

MVP - Jacob Markstrom

Leading scorer for Canada - editting my pick, changing it to Eberle
Tiller33 Posted - 12/26/2009 : 09:36:58
If his injury isn't that serious and he plays like he did in the pre-tournament games Taylor Hall could challenge for the scoring lead as well as tournament MVP. My pick for tournament MVP is Cam Fowler he'll be a standout on the US team and he will play every shift against the other teams top lines.

leigh Posted - 12/26/2009 : 00:43:21
No predictions but I will say that I am stoked to watch! The game's future stars all in one venue is really exciting. it's 12:30am on the 26th and I'm watching the TSN preview. Love this tournament.

Somebody in this forum once said this tournament was created by TSN, as in it was nothing before TSn started carrying it. I suppose it's true, but I'm glad they did.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page