Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 Slovakian Olympic Team 2010

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:06:53
Some new names. Some old names. Interesting team.

List found at ctvolympics.com

Discuss!!

Goaltenders:
Jaroslav Halak, Peter Budaj, Rastislav Stana

Defence:
Zdeno Chara, Milan Jurcina, Richard Lintner, Andrej Meszaros, Andrej Sekera, Lubomír Visnovsky, Martin Strbak

Forward:
Lubos Bartecko, Branko Radivojevic, Martin Cibak, Pavol Demitra, Marian Gaborik, Michal Handzus, Marian Hossa, Marcel Hossa, Tomas Kopecky, Zigmund Palffy, Jozef Stumpel, Miroslav Satan, Richard Zednik
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 08:56:06
Hey Slozo you want another friendly wager on that??? Name your terms because you are grossly underestimating their abilities. You are completely missing the likes of Visnovsky and Meszaros on the back end. Also, when did a PPG player in Hossa become 2nd rate?? Handzus is a big and strong as they come. Zednik was also a strong 2 way player just last season. If Satan and Palffy are 1/2 the players they were in the NHL they still compete.

Slovakia plays the Czeck Republic, Russia, and Latvia in the prelims. I say that Slovakia wins 2 of those 3 and gives Russia a go as well with no more than a 2 goal lose. I also say Slovakia wins at least one game in the medal round and finish the overall tourney no worse than 5th.

Bet??

Guest2677 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 06:38:42
Voracek is from the Czech Republic.

While i said they had some good top end players & decent depth, i don't consider them a threat either, at least not as far as the gold is concerned. If Halak is able to provide them with solid goaltending, then who knows, maybe they can finish as high as 3 or 4, but no way do i see them playing in the gold medal game.

And yeah i'm looking forward to seeing Ziggy Palffy play again. Same goes with Jaromir Jagr & Peter Forsberg.
Do the Czechs announce their roster today or tomorrow? Will be interesting to see if Dominik Hasek is included, i read a few articles last month saying he had a chance.
n/a Posted - 12/30/2009 : 05:43:32
I disagree with most: Slovakia is not a threat. At the top of the second tier teams in my mind.

The key thing that has always dogged Slovakian players (specifically, the forwards) is no grit, no toughness. All one has to do is apply a strong forecheck and solid defence, and these guys crumble, and make lots of defensive errors. I also see a lot of older, broken down players who certainly have skill, but are nowhere close to where they used to be (Demitra, Palffy, Handzus, Satan, Zednik, even Hossa). Slovakia's only true blue star forward in his prime is Gaborik, and we all know he is one solid check away from pulling his glass groin.

And as good defensively as Chara is, he can't be on the ice all the time . . . just half the time. Halak can steal games (trust me, I know, he is great against the Leafs!), but again, he is a big step below Brodeur, Lundqvist, Miller and even Nabakov.

Not a threat to Canada.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4271 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 01:37:10
Isn't the kid from Columbus from Slovakia?? Jacob Vorecek, played as a Moosehead in the Q, very good upcoming player. Looks like a little Nash, with lots of talent and upside......size, speed, and very good hands, they could give him a look
Guest0963 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 20:21:50
It's going to be great to see Ziggy out there again, he was such a dynamic player.
Guest2668 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 18:57:37
A pretty solid team all around, they have some great top end talent with guys like Gaborik, Hossa & Chara, and they have decent depth.

I'll be nice seeing former NHLers again like Palffy, Marcel Hossa (being a Rangers fan!), Zednik, Satan, Stumpel, etc.
irvine Posted - 12/29/2009 : 17:38:39
Yeah, he certainly did not retire due to an injury.

The following season, after leaving the NHL Palffy suited up for the Slovakia Extraliga (Slovakia's Premiere Hockey League -- Top League).

Where his numbers are shinning.

07/08 -- GP: 47 G: 30 A: 46 P: 76
08/09 -- GP: 52 G: 52 A: 47 P: 99
09/10 -- GP: 26 G: 12 A: 28 P:40

Not too shabby. I can't see it being an injury, as he suited pretty quickly following leaving the NHL. And his numbers are not suffering due to any injury. :P

And in the KHL, Marcel Hossa is currently 1st in goals with 24 (followed by Morozov with 19). Hossa is also 7th in Total Points, with 38. He has played 37 games.

So the Slovaks have some offensive, beyond Gaborik, Marian Hossa & Pavol Demitra (if healthy)

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 16:31:56
From good ol' Wikipedia:

"After playing 42 games with the Penguins during the 2005–06 season, Palffy abruptly retired from hockey. On January 18, 2006 then Penguins GM Craig Patrick told reporters that Pálffy told him he was retiring due to a lingering shoulder injury. Many feel that tension with superstar Sidney Crosby may have also contributed to his retirement. Pálffy completed his career with 329 goals and 384 assists for 713 points in 684 games over 12 NHL seasons."
Tiller33 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 16:03:40
Don't really remember the reason he retired from the pens in '06 but I saw him playing in the Spengler Cup the other day and was a bit surprised. Not to mention the fact that Alexander Daigle was on the Canadian squad, there's a guy I thought had hung them up.
irvine Posted - 12/29/2009 : 16:02:10
I often follow the Swedish Elite League, KHL, SM-Liga (Finnish League), & DEL (German League) along with a few others.

And Zigmund Palffy is leading his current league in points, the "other" Hossa, Marcel, leads the KHL in goals (or did two days ago.)

This team could be a force. They have a few players (non-NHL) doing very well in their respective pro leagues. Not to mention a well rested Satan, who just won a Stanley Cup, Gaborik who is currently on fire, big, physical d-men in Chara & Jurcina. A Goaltender playing very well in Halak.

Look out Olympics!

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 15:58:51
I wasn't even aware that Palffy was still playing hockey? I thought for some reason he retired due to injury probs as in some sort of nagging injury that wouldn't get better? Guess i was wrong? Did he just wanna return home?
Tiller33 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 15:57:07
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think if there are any 'sleepers' in this tourney, this is the team. Halak can streak to be one of the best in the world. Chara and Visnovsky anchor a d-core that includes Meszaros. More importantly, that forward core is a pure 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line kind of mix.

These guys can sneak up on people and spank them before they can even spell Slovakia!!

Dangerous

I agree the Slovaks are definatley a quietly talented team with the Hossa's and Chara, as well as Halak playing well heading into the Olympics. They will battle the Sweedes, Americans and Czechs for the 3,4,5 and 6 spots I think.

The Sweedish team seems to have lost a step without Franzen and Sundin as well as the many injury questions their team has. As for the Americans they will have a solid talent level and it will all depend on how well their players mesh.

After Russia and Canada the pack is all pretty close in talent level.

Beans15 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 14:53:37
Ya, the Palffy, Satan, and Demitra picks surprised me a little, but Palffy had 99 points in 53 games in the 5th most competative league in Europe last season!!!
idding aside, 713 points in 642 games and he was a PPG player just 3 seasons ago. He has the game.

Seriously, there are some questions marks on the team as much as there are some really nice players.

I dunno, just looking at the top 6 forwards, Gaborik, Hossa, Palffy, Demitra, Handzus, and Satan???

They could cause some teams fits. They will at the least be fun to watch and significantly more competative than the likes of Belarus and Norway.

I would say they are the low end of the top tier or the very top of the 2nd tier teams in the world.
Alex116 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:50:08
Ziggy freakin' Palffy? Man, last time i read that name it was midseason a few years back when he retired! Had him in my pool and was doing quite well. Then he quits! Argggh! Man i was steamin'.....

Overall, team looks not bad. Halak's been playing great as Montreal seems to be showcasing him in hopes of a trade maybe? He's played quite a bit as of late.

While i don't see them leaving here with a medal, they could play a role in causing another team the same fate, one which is more expected to medal?
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:31:21
Huh,

I didn't think Demitra woud be up to form in time.

I'll admit I don't know half of the Slovak D from Adam, but the names I do see suggest that the Slovaks could have a pretty decent Blue Line.

Gaborik and Hossa should provide some nice scoring. But does this team have the offensive depth that the Russians and Swedes are bringing?

This team could surprise a lot of people this year, maybe a Darkhorse for Medal Contention. Not 100% sure what to make of this team.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Beans15 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:16:08
I think if there are any 'sleepers' in this tourney, this is the team. Halak can streak to be one of the best in the world. Chara and Visnovsky anchor a d-core that includes Meszaros. More importantly, that forward core is a pure 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line kind of mix.

These guys can sneak up on people and spank them before they can even spell Slovakia!!

Dangerous

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page