Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 Second Team Canada

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 12/30/2009 : 16:23:15
Ok so if Canada could send two teams to the Olympics for Vancouver 2010, who would make the second team for you?

Here's a lineup I was toying with, not perfect but a good start:

13 Forwards
M Cammalleri (L) - V. Lecavalier (C) - M. St. Louis (R)
A. Brunette (L) - B. Richards (C) - D. Briere (R)
R. Bourque (L) - S. Stamkos (C) - D. Penner (R)
R. Smyth (L) - J. Carter (C) - S. Doan (R)
P. Stastny (C)

7 Defensemen
J. Bouwmeester - M. Green
D. Phaneuf - R. Reghier
S. Robidas - B. Campbell
M.A. Bergeron

3 Goalies
C. Ward
M. Turco
S. Mason (or Osgood)

Not a bad team at all...not nearly as good as the first though. Note that I tried to keep the players in their natural positions.
33   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:04:51
No offense taken actually. When i quoted you, it was more that you're saying the Habs fans think he's the next Roy. I've talked to many habs fans and i don't get that from them. I know fan who weren't even happy when they selected him over G. Brule in the draft!!! Later that next season, they were quite happy of course. Regardless, most i speak to expect him to be very good, but i've yet to meet a hab fan who thinks he's the second coming of Patrick Roy.....
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2010 : 12:52:17
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Joshua....I'm not a Habs fan, so i don't see all their games but if it was Halak that got them on a roll, great, good for him. I never said it was Price. Both goalies have played well for a team which i consider a bubble team for the playoffs (and that's only cuz they're in the east). Taking into consideration Markov's injury and the loss of some forwards, this team has had to make adjustments and the fact that they currently hold down a playoff spot is somewhat impressive.

I was simply saying that Price has rebounded from a tough season last year and it's easy to see on a site like this that fans of rival teams just love to rip the guy apart as a bust. Being as i'm not a Hab hater, it's easy for me to throw an opinion out there that not only has Price played much better than last year, but that if i were running the Canadiens, i would not give up on this kid by any means. That's not to say that if the right deal came along, i wouldn't trade him. You make a good point about his trade value. I'm sure there are a handful of GM's out there who'd love to have him?

All i was stating was, he's having a pretty good year all things considered and that this enabled the Habs to shop Halak's services. Maybe i'm wrong, but the minute i heard a rumour about Halak being sought by a few teams, he got a few extra starts? Maybe it's just a coincidence? Maybe Price tweaked a groin and they wanted to rest him? Who knows?

All i see when i read a comment like this: But, it would never happen cause Montreal fans have it in there head, that Price is the next Roy and would probably riot if he was traded away., is a Hab Hater. Sorry, that's just my take....

Not a habs hater. Should maybe used Freakout instead of Riot. I guess the word riot is a bad thing when discussing a Montreal team, didnt think it would offend.
phlyguy90 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 12:04:15
Braydon Couburn, who is having a good season. 50 hits, 60 blocked shots, 17 takeaways. Another defenseman who is playing well but getting no recognition.

those stats are very generous to coburn....watch him play every game and you'll sometimes wonder why he is even in the NHL.
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 08:34:39
Joshua....I'm not a Habs fan, so i don't see all their games but if it was Halak that got them on a roll, great, good for him. I never said it was Price. Both goalies have played well for a team which i consider a bubble team for the playoffs (and that's only cuz they're in the east). Taking into consideration Markov's injury and the loss of some forwards, this team has had to make adjustments and the fact that they currently hold down a playoff spot is somewhat impressive.

I was simply saying that Price has rebounded from a tough season last year and it's easy to see on a site like this that fans of rival teams just love to rip the guy apart as a bust. Being as i'm not a Hab hater, it's easy for me to throw an opinion out there that not only has Price played much better than last year, but that if i were running the Canadiens, i would not give up on this kid by any means. That's not to say that if the right deal came along, i wouldn't trade him. You make a good point about his trade value. I'm sure there are a handful of GM's out there who'd love to have him?

All i was stating was, he's having a pretty good year all things considered and that this enabled the Habs to shop Halak's services. Maybe i'm wrong, but the minute i heard a rumour about Halak being sought by a few teams, he got a few extra starts? Maybe it's just a coincidence? Maybe Price tweaked a groin and they wanted to rest him? Who knows?

All i see when i read a comment like this: But, it would never happen cause Montreal fans have it in there head, that Price is the next Roy and would probably riot if he was traded away., is a Hab Hater. Sorry, that's just my take....
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2010 : 07:39:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4271

Who in there right mind would take Price(it went in off my glove) Price, lmao, Bob Gainey has ruined this kid, they would be better off trading him and keeping Halak........... he would CHOKE under all the pressure

That was last year, how about getting out for a game this year pal.

Couldn't agree more Axey. Price has looked really sharp and it's likely this reason that the Habs have begun to shop Halak around the league. I've always maintained that Price will rebound eventually into an above avg #1 goalie in the NHL. My thoughts certainly haven't changed with his strong play this season.

Funny I thought it was Halaks strong play which got Montreal on a roll. Didn't that kid get like 4-5 starts in a row a few weeks back. Not saying Price is doing bad, but Halak is a good/great goalie in his own right and he hasnt been hyped up like Price has been. I dont know, the return for Price would be way higher than the return for Halak. But, it would never happen cause Montreal fans have it in there head, that Price is the next Roy and would probably riot if he was traded away. I dont see a big difference between these 2 goalies and the team trust either, so I'd keep the less expensive one and trade away the higher trade bait for the missing pieces come playoff time. One thing Montreal has is a strong goalie development program.
Alex116 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 23:51:08
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:

Who in there right mind would take Price(it went in off my glove) Price, lmao, Bob Gainey has ruined this kid, they would be better off trading him and keeping Halak........... he would CHOKE under all the pressure

Couldn't agree more Axey. Price has looked really sharp and it's likely this reason that the Habs have begun to shop Halak around the league. I've always maintained that Price will rebound eventually into an above avg #1 goalie in the NHL. My thoughts certainly haven't changed with his strong play this season.
Axey Posted - 01/05/2010 : 22:48:15
quote:

Guest4271 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:45:16
Guest7364 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:35:35
Your right Sensfan fisher should be on the 2nd team...BUT you don't have Marc Savard on your team, you have him on the "taxi squad for the 2nd canadian team.. In the last 4 seasons he's averaging 89 per year and in those seasons only Joe Thornton has more assists, so he's one of the best play maker in the game (from any country) but you wouldn't put him in your top 26 forwards...

something tells me you shouldn't be giving other people tips
Sensfan101 Posted - 01/03/2010 : 18:11:33
How can some of these rosters not have Fisher he was one of the last few cuts made for the 1st team

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Axey Posted - 01/03/2010 : 17:34:28
Love this topic, was actually just going to start it but decided to look through to make sure it wasn't already here and sure enough. Ahah

FORWARDS

Camallerri - Savard - Carter
St. Louis- Lecavalier - Stamkos
Briere - Tavares - Neal
Smyth - J. Staal - Doan

13th - B. Richards

DEFENSE

Bouwmeester - Campbell
Robidas - Green
Phaneuf - M. Staal

7th - Souray

GOALIES

Turco
Ward
Price
Guest2658 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:57:18
Indeed i did forgot Andy McDonald, he's a very good player & should definitely be on either my 2nd or 3rd team i posted on here. Same goes for Brad Boyes. Another guy who i know is getting up there in years & his numbers are down a bit this season, which isn't surprising considering his teams struggles, is Ray Whitney.

Damn there's a lot of good hockey players in this country!
Guest4746 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 12:27:09
Don't forget Andy Mcdonald, not having such a great year this year but he seems to be picking it up
leafsfan_101 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 10:09:40
Forwards:
Patrick Sharp - Brad Richards - Mike Cammalleri
Martin St. Louis - Vincent Lecavalier - Steven Stamkos
Simone Gagne - Daniel Briere - Jeff Carter
Dustin Penner - Jordan Staal - Shane Doan
Mike Fisher

Defenseman:
Mike Green - Jay Boumeester
Dion Phaneuf - Stephane Robidas
Brian Campbell - Marc Staal
Braydon Coburn

Goalies:
Dwayne Roloson
Cam Ward
Marty Turco

I basically tried and making this team one with alot of team chemistry, so that is why my Tampa Trio and Philly Line are both together. The first line is a line which is fast and still has the ability to put pucks in the net. I tried to make the last line a good two-way line, and Fisher is the perfect 13th man.

On defense the top four is obvious. I think after Don Cherry pointed out Stephane Robidasè year everyone had difficulty leaving him off of this 2nd team. My last three names may suprise you, but Brian Campbell is having a good year and Marc Staal is having a very unhearalded year, but then again, how many defensive defenseman really get recognition. Same with Braydon Couburn, who is having a good season. 50 hits, 60 blocked shots, 17 takeaways. Another defenseman who is playing well but getting no recognition.

My goaltenders were also simple choices, with Roloson easily playing the best of the three. I just chose the rest by skill, the season they are having now and personal preference.
Guest2676 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:00:26
Team #2:
Simon Gagne - Brad Richards - Martin S.Louis
Steve Stamkos - Vincent Lecavalier - Patrick Sharp
Mike Cammalleri - Marc Savard - Jeff Carter
Ryan Smyth - Mike Fisher - Shane Doan
Jordan Staal

Dion Phaneuff - Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green - Robyn Reghier
Ed Jovanovski - Stephane Robidas
Dan Hamhuis

Cam Ward
Dwayne Roloson
Marty Turco

TEAM #3:
Paul Kariya - Jason Spezza - Nathan Horton
Dustin Penner - Daniel Briere - Scott Hartnall
Andrew Brunette - Jason Arnott - JP Dumont
Steve Sullivan - Derek Roy - Milan Lucic
John Tavares

Brian Campbell - Rob Blake
Sheldon Souray - Dan Girardi
Bryan McCabe - Denis Wideman
Marc Staal

Chris Osgood
Steve Mason
Chris Osgood
Sensfan101 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 13:52:35
This was printed in the Ottawa Sun today

Cammelari Lecalvalier St. Louis
Richards Stamkos Carter
Doan Fisher Neal
Penner Sharp Smyth
Staal

Robidas Green
Regher Phaneuf
Campbell Bouwmeester
Hamhuis

Ward
Turco
Roloson

I would put Spezza Savard and Lucic on for Penner Sharp and Staal

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Guest4141 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 11:11:52
Team Canada "B"

Goalies
Carey Price
Dwayne Roloson
Marty Turco

Defencemen
Mike Green
Ed Jovanovski
Stephane Robidas
Brian Campbell
Dion Phaneuf
Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Del Zotto

Line #1
Brad Richards
Mike Cammalleri
Dustin Penner

Line #2
Vincent Lacavalier
Patrick Sharp
Martin St. Louis

Line #3
Marc Savard
Jeff Carter
Jason Pominville

Line #4
Steve Stamkos
John Tavares
Mike Fisher

* Derek Roy
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 10:09:54
Oh, and I meant to comment on Lucic:

I would have had him on, IF he was playing at the same level as last year . . . he could very well develop into what Bertuzzi once was without the goonery. But, he has just not brought it this year, for whatever reason . . . and, he's injured again, so it's easy to leave him off.

If he gets healthy and continues to develop as a player though, I could certainly see Lucic on a team Canada in the future . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 10:05:22
Mm . . . Roloson, eh? Maybe, maybe.

And you know what, I changed my mind . . . I put in Cammalleri over Penner. Not liking the way Dustin has, as Beans said, gotten lazy again, and you don't want those guys on your team.

I certainly think this team could compete with all the big boys, even Russia and Canada(A) and the US. It would hinge on Turco playing his A game, but the defence is as good as Canada's team A in my mind, and the third and fourth lines are more skilled than any other country save maybe Canada A and Russia.

Guest0482 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 13:54:28
Cammerlli Savard Richards"A"
Brunette Lecavalier"C" Doan
Penner Carter Briere
Fisher Staal Smyth"A"----I Love this line

Green JBow"A"
Campbell Hannah
Robidas Reghier
Phaneuf

Turco
Roloson
Mason
Guest0026 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 13:17:19
P Stastny is going to play from the U.S.A
Leafs81 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 09:04:01
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Although Slozo and I disagree completely with the defensive judgernaut of Mike Green and the "I score a goal every 2 games but am on the ice for at least one a game" theory of defense, I do agree to nearly 100% of his 2nd team Canada.

Based on play from the past 2 years in the NHL and internationally, I take Dwayne Roloson as my Keeper.

And, I take the beast of the East of Ian White as my #5 defensemen over Andy Greene.

And as much as we might want to think a Canada "B" team would medal, realistically, this team does not beat Russia, Sweden, Finland, or the USA.

I have never seen a medal given out for 6th place.

On paper it wouldn't be better then Russia or Sweden but they could still beat them. And I think they would be better then Finland and equal to USA. This is considering that we see a playoff type of Cam Ward.
Leafs81 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 09:00:45
quote:

No longer any love for Milan Lucic huh? Haven't heard his name mentioned by anyone since his first injury. Lots of guys wanted him on the first team early this season!

Yeah I was one who was saying he should be on the team, even after his first injury, but then after his second injury, I don't know he missed a lot of hockey this year.
Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 21:28:27
No longer any love for Milan Lucic huh? Haven't heard his name mentioned by anyone since his first injury. Lots of guys wanted him on the first team early this season!
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 21:24:04
Although Slozo and I disagree completely with the defensive judgernaut of Mike Green and the "I score a goal every 2 games but am on the ice for at least one a game" theory of defense, I do agree to nearly 100% of his 2nd team Canada.

Based on play from the past 2 years in the NHL and internationally, I take Dwayne Roloson as my Keeper.

And, I take the beast of the East of Ian White as my #5 defensemen over Andy Greene.

And as much as we might want to think a Canada "B" team would medal, realistically, this team does not beat Russia, Sweden, Finland, or the USA.

I have never seen a medal given out for 6th place.
Leafs81 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 21:10:37
C. Ward, Turco and C.Mason

Bouwmeester, Green, Robidas, Phaneuf, Regehr, Phillips and Campbell

Cammalleri, Lecavalier, St-Louis
S. Gagné, J. Carter, Stamkos
Smyth, B. Richards, Doan
Tavares, M. Savard, J. Staal
Penner

Something like that.
Guest4804 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 20:30:25
Now you can only replace a player who is injured and you have untill Feb 15th to do so.
Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 20:16:30
Gagne could very well play himself onto this team (as you say, due to injury). I'd be really interested to see if a guy like Morrow totally tanked in the next month, would they drop him for a guy like Gagne or another guy? I'm not 100% sure if they even can swap a guy without an injury but i thought that was the case?
n/a Posted - 12/30/2009 : 19:59:57
Well Alex, this is MY team - not Stevie Y's (see my comments on Mike Green!). And 13th guy is only the 13th on paper . . . you know how these shorts tournaments go, everything gets changed around once it gets started.

I missed the C's, you're right . . . I meant to give Smyth my C, and Doan and Lecavalier the other A's (I think there are three alternates).

Anyone notice Gagne getting the hattrick tonight? I have a feeling that there will be some heavy competition still as players realise there might well be an open spot in the future due to injury . . . happens almost every time.

I left Cammalleri off my B team, and he'd be my first pick to replace someone due to injury (I had a hard time cutting him).

Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 19:29:47
Nice lineup Slozo, very impressive indeed! Wondering, saw a couple "a"'s but no "c"? Did you have a captain in mind?

Also, i'd be horrified if Doan was not a starter on any second team Canada fielded (hypothetically of course) seeing as he's been mentioned as not being far off being named to the team today.
n/a Posted - 12/30/2009 : 17:44:43
Funny, I was thinking about doing this topic myself, but got a bit upset about all the crap talk on supposedly the worst +15 defenceman who has been leading the league in his position in scoring for the last year and a half.

So, although I'm still not over the Green snub (and even the Bouwmeester snub), here's my line-up. Please note Leigh - Savard IS on my team, as is a guy coming back from injury you may have forgotten about, Gagne:

FORWARDS
Gagne - Savard - Briere
Lecavalier(a) - Stamkos - St.Louis
Penner - B.Richards(a) - J.Carter
Smyth(c) - Fisher - Horton
13th F - S.Doan(a)

DEFENCE
Green - D.Wideman
D.Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
A.Greene - B.Campbell
7th D - Bieksa

GOALIES
Turco, C.Mason, Ward

This team medals, and potentially gives the "A" team for Canada and the Russians and the US a run for their money.

Guest2672 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 17:23:15
I don't think there is any doubt that we could submit a 2nd team which could very well be capable of beating our 1st team. Especially up front, we could literally field 3 or 4 teams which could be competitive.

I'm not going to narrow it down to 13 forwards, 7 defensemen & 3 goaltenders. Instead i'll just jot down a bunch of names...

Goaltenders:
Cam Ward, Dwayne Roloson, Marty Turco, Steve Mason, Pascal Leclaire, etc.

Defensemen:
Jay Bouwmeester, Dion Phaneuff, Robyn Regher, Mike Green, Mark Staal, Stephane Robidas, Brian Campbell

Fowards:
Brad Richards, Jeff Carter, Martin St.Louis, Jason Spezza, Vincent Lecavalier, Marc Savard, Daniel Briere, Scott Hartnall, Derek Roy, Patrick Sharp, Paul Stastny, Rene Bourque, Dustin Penner, Mike Riberio, Nathan Horton, Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan, Steve Stamkos, John Tavares, Mike Cammalleri, Jason Arnott, Steve Sullivan, Mike Fisher, Jordan Staal, Paul Kariya, Andy McDonald, Brad Boyes, Simon Gagne, etc etc etc.
Canucks Man Posted - 12/30/2009 : 16:50:16
Pretty good but stastny will be playing on the US's 1st team, and I would have derrick roy on the second team.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page