Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Trade Rumours of Today

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 01/17/2010 : 21:25:04
I have read a couple of rumours today, and thought i'd share with you guys. Please give your thoughts regarding them.

1. OTT/EDM Trade

Edmonton GET:
Brian Lee (D)
Jim O'Brien (C)
2nd Round Pick

Ottawa GET:
Andrew Cogliano (F)

2. TOR/ATL Trade

Atlanta GET:
Alexei Ponikarovsky

Toronto GET:
High Draft Pick (1st or 2nd -- Unknown yet)

---

Others in this list, may see Ray Whitney of the Hurricanes heading to Buffalo.

Matt Stajan may find his new home in Tampa Bay.

A few teams have expressed interest in Paul Kariya, including the Canucks, Leafs & Oilers. Although aging, Kariya could be a solid playmaker for a guy like Kessel.

Thoughts?

Irvine/prez.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gusteroni Posted - 01/20/2010 : 12:48:57
Edmonton cleaning house this year kinda goes without saying. They are going to have a difficult time with some of their contracts though so it may be hard to expect a fire sale.

Some notable rumors are Souray to the Rangers, but it has been reported that Souray doesn't want to go east with his family being on the west coast and NY would have to make some cap space mainly Redden. Staios and Moreau I imagine are trade deadline moves as both are ufa's and if the Oil can't move some guys it has been said they might bury some contracts in the minors. I think a list of guys staying in Edmonton would be a lot shorter.

One trade that is within the realm of possibility is Kovalchuk to Boston but I think only if Boston can re-sign him. I think I heard Boston would give up Wheeler, Rask, a 1st round pick (not Toronto's) and a prospect, however if Atlanta makes the playoffs they may do nothing, if they don't Armstrong and Lehtonen could also be on the move.

Sykora is on waivers and it looks like the Wild will be making some moves this year. Also Columbus could be making some trade deadline news this year, Torres, Jurcina, and Modin are the names being thrown around in the rumor mill. Has anyone heard anything about the rumor of Tanguey coming back to Calgary? Anyway, I think March 3rd will be a very busy day indeed.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Beans15 Posted - 01/20/2010 : 12:22:29
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Yeah, one has to think that Washington is going to get rid of Theodore and pick up an experienced goalie who still has game, at the very least to tutor Varlamov, if not pick up the slack when needed.

Halak is probably leaving from Montreal as well as maybe Turco from Dallas . . . if I were the Leafs, I'd certainly pick up Halak first, Theodore second, and Turco third (just because of age) and be very happy about it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Is Theodore really an improvement on Toskala??? I would take Turco over Theodore with little thought. Age or not.

The thing with Theodore is that is value is nearly zero today. He's an overpaid player at $4.5 million a season who is a UFA at the end of the year. The only teams that would be anywhere interested in him will be a legitimate Cup contender with a bonified starter looking for a back up. No team out of the playoffs will touch him and his salary makes him difficult to move. Much like Huet was tossed a few years ago for what I recall being a 2nd round pick, that is as much or more than the Caps will get from Theodore. I can more realistically see a 3rd round pick, maybe.

Theordore is an awefully big and foul tasting worm for many of these GM's to take a bite at.
n/a Posted - 01/20/2010 : 11:17:00
Yeah, one has to think that Washington is going to get rid of Theodore and pick up an experienced goalie who still has game, at the very least to tutor Varlamov, if not pick up the slack when needed.

Halak is probably leaving from Montreal as well as maybe Turco from Dallas . . . if I were the Leafs, I'd certainly pick up Halak first, Theodore second, and Turco third (just because of age) and be very happy about it.

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 01/20/2010 : 10:16:44
The issue with Huet is of course his salary and no way would NYI want that on top of DP's garantuan contract. Based on Bean's rumors a three way deal could look like this:

Roloson to CHI
Huet to LAK
Quick to NYI

The thing that confounds me is that there's still 3 goalies in the mix that could fit into a deal just as well:
Turco
Biron
Boucher

And theres gonna be at least one Oilers backup getting cut loose too between Dubnyk and Deslauriers.

Washington's also got to be looking for a deal for Theodore.

Man, this theorycrafting is giving me a headache...

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Beans15 Posted - 01/20/2010 : 09:24:56
It doesn't take a genius to know that Halak is on his way out at the trade deadline. RFA at the end of the year with Montreal clearly going with Price long term. It simply comes down to what is the best deal Gainey can make.

I was away in Saskatoon and I missed my regular Sunday Edmonton Sun Rumor report. My lovely wife was kind enough to save it for me. In the paper this past Sunday was a report that Sather is kicking tires everywhere around the league to support Gaborik in scoring. To the point where Lawton in TB was asked about Lecavalier. Apparently the offer was Del Zotto, Redden, and either Callahan or Dubinsky. If that is the case (which I strongly doubt because no one wants Redden's $6 million/year salary) then Stajan might be in TB radar. However, I would personally take Callahan or Dubinsky over Stajan without much thought.

It was also reported that Chicago, even with all their successes, is not confident in Huet being the Keeper to lead them to the Cup. Apparently, Garth Snow has been contacted about Dwayne Roloson. With the cap issues, Roloson is a great value for this year and next at such time Neimi should be ready. Plus, that sheds a few million off the payroll for the Blackhawks. I can see Snow willing to deal Roloson with DiPietro back and healthy, but not to pick up a huge contract with Huet. If this happens, there would have to be a 3rd team in the mix.

It also said something about LA being interested in Turco and Biron as Quick is fading......fast(Couldn't resist)
Guest5272 Posted - 01/20/2010 : 02:56:05
Heard a rumor about Turco. Seems like Dallas is interested in Halak and would give Turco for. Experienced goalie to back-up the young Price. Montreal would finally have settled on him.
n/a Posted - 01/19/2010 : 16:54:41
Well . . . I would guess that Burke, just like any person with half a brain, would grab a 1st rounder for Poni in a millisecond. That's why I don't see it . . .

. . . ooh! Two goals for Ponikarovsky against Atlanta! 1st!! 1st!! 1st!!!

irvine Posted - 01/19/2010 : 15:52:02
Slozo, sadly I did not get that part of the TB/Stajan deal. I'm not sure what they would receive in return.

As for the ATL/TOR trade, the news is ATL really want Poni as they feel he'll have success/chemistry with Antropov. Thus the 1st rounder being offered.

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 01/18/2010 : 10:23:56
Ponikarovksy is a UFA at the end of the year anyway, so the cap value is irrelivant. However, if Burke has no intentions of resigning him, then a draft pick makes sense. I still don't like dropping a 60 point potential player for less than a 1st rounder, but you gotta take the max the market will allow. If it's a 2nd rounder, than so be it.

As far as the Stajan/TB thing, I just can't see it. What does TB have of equitable value that TO wants?? And why would TB want Stajan?? Unless they are still bouncing around the idea of moving Lecavalier. Although, I think the window on that is closed. $10 million a season for the next 7 years and $15 million total for another 4 years. That's such a huge contract.

Guest9836 Posted - 01/18/2010 : 09:53:01
Atlanta is becoming T.O. 2.0... Antropov, Kubina and if your rumour is true for Pony.
n/a Posted - 01/18/2010 : 07:42:11
I like the Poni trade, but it'd be a bit much to expect a 1st rounder if Antropov only got a 2nd. So, a second rounder for Poni, and we clear up some cap space . . . I like it!

The Ottawa/Edmonton trade also seems reasonable for both teams . . . and might even be weighted in Edmonton's favour, really - three "prospects" is quite a bit for a mediocre second liner.

Stajan . . . yeah, he is definitely getting shopped around, and I think someone will grab him. I'd be surprised if TB does, I would have thought a contending team needing a solid second line center would be a better fit, but who knows. Any word/rumour on what Toronto would get back from TB for a Stajan?

Beans15 Posted - 01/18/2010 : 07:32:55
The Oilers don't need more players like Lee and O'Brien. However, with Cogliano having an off year and up for a new contract, I think the Oilers might be basically saying good bye to Cogliano to keep Gagner.

Ponikarovsky for a 1st round pick from ATL is not too bad. Specifically because TO is lean on the 1st round pick departments. But to give up a an established player with 60+ pt ability for what will appear to be a mid-round 1st round pick in a projected weak draft year is not a good deal in my mind. Unless Burke and his scouting team have a diamond in the rough that no one else knows about that will be available at the 10-14 pick spot.

Whitney to Buffalo makes a lot of sense. One thing the Sabres are missing is that forwards with the leadership/experience. He's a UFA at the end of the year, so it would be a rental and a good one!

Stajan in TB for who?? Lecavalier, Stamkos, and Halpern have the locks on 1,2,3 in the centre depth chart. Stajan is not good enough to be a #1 centre, but not bad enough to be a #3 or #4. So why would Tampa make that deal?? Shut down defensemen and goalkeeping is what TB need. And Stajan is a UFA at the end of the year. There aren't big dollars involved so I can't see a team, specifically TB who is not going to make the playoffs, paying anything for a rental player that will not improve the team significantly.

And finally, on Kariya. Another UFA at the end of the year. Based on the proposed teams, you might as well scratch the Oilers and the Leafs off the list. No point in a rental player for non-playoff teams. The Canucks, however, would be a really nice fit for Kariya. No disrespect to Burrows, but Sedin, Sedin, and Kariya would be dangerous.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page