Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Two Down, Two to GO! The mighty bear is slain.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/24/2010 : 20:01:27
Canada defeats the mighty Russian bear by the unlikely (and pretty unprecedented) score of 7-3, with Canada playing a near perfect game.

How do you think Canada will fare against their next opponent (probably Sweden) and can they do anything to improve other than play how they did tonight?

Thoughts and comments on the Russia/Canada game.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Axey Posted - 02/26/2010 : 15:22:52
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

The Swedes must have either gotten a terrible performance from Lundqvist, or it was just one of those games where the Slovaks got 4 great goals on only 14 shots. Supposedly the Swedes dominated most of the game, and it's not like Halak stole this one from what I understand.

The Slovaks beat Russia, yes . . . but we have now seen firsthand how they still haven't found any chemistry, and they played them earlier.

The big difference is that I don't the Slovaks have seen a strong, physical forecheck yet, and I don't they have been given the "physical" treatment as Canada gave to Russia yesterday. You are right I suppose, I shouldn't take any team lightly, and on any given day a goalie can steal a game . . . but Halak is no better than Nabakov is IMHO, and the Canadians are flying right now. Even with a strong game from Chara, he cannot stop the speed of our wingers, and even with a strong game from Halak, he won't stop all the rubber we throw at him. And, I think with forwards like Gaborik, Palffy and Hossa getting the physical play we are sure to throw at them, it'll be lights out quick for them.

Your exacting right, Sweden really did dominate the play. Penalty trouble was the big issue, it was definitely 2 and maybe even a 3rd that were PP goals. The other was an acrobatic save by Lundqvist on a back door shot, with a greasy rebound laying right in the crease and it was just banged in.

Halak didn't exactly steal the game, he just played well enough to keep Slovakia in it. Made the big saves when needed and fought off a hostile last 5 minutes.

That being said Halak will be good but not great tonight, I predict 6-2 with alot of scoring chances. Hopefully our penalty killing won't be as boring and lazy as the Swedes.
Beans15 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 09:47:30
20 games left Slozo, Edmonton need only 2 or more wins than the Leafs and even OTL for you to be proudly displaying that Oilers logo!

(PS- I am starting to warm up my liver for when I have to put that Leafs Logo up. I think that will be the quitest two months of my life!)
n/a Posted - 02/25/2010 : 09:45:52
Oh yeah, and I forgot to begrudgingly give Beans his due for picking the Slovaks to medal . . . if all goes as I think it will, they will be playing for a Bronze on Saturday against the Finns and they have a great chance to take it.

Hey Beans, I see you changed your avatar once again from the past Team Canada maple leaf logo . . . will you be ready to wear a leaf of another colour throughout the playoffs?

n/a Posted - 02/25/2010 : 09:42:05
The Swedes must have either gotten a terrible performance from Lundqvist, or it was just one of those games where the Slovaks got 4 great goals on only 14 shots. Supposedly the Swedes dominated most of the game, and it's not like Halak stole this one from what I understand.

The Slovaks beat Russia, yes . . . but we have now seen firsthand how they still haven't found any chemistry, and they played them earlier.

The big difference is that I don't the Slovaks have seen a strong, physical forecheck yet, and I don't they have been given the "physical" treatment as Canada gave to Russia yesterday. You are right I suppose, I shouldn't take any team lightly, and on any given day a goalie can steal a game . . . but Halak is no better than Nabakov is IMHO, and the Canadians are flying right now. Even with a strong game from Chara, he cannot stop the speed of our wingers, and even with a strong game from Halak, he won't stop all the rubber we throw at him. And, I think with forwards like Gaborik, Palffy and Hossa getting the physical play we are sure to throw at them, it'll be lights out quick for them.

willus3 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 09:20:27
I wouldn't take the Slovaks lightly. I watched them play Russia. But I agree that we would rather play the Slovaks than the Swedes. Hopefully Halak doesn't have a game like Miller did.

shellac Posted - 02/25/2010 : 08:58:33
I agree, I did a mini bracket pool and after watching SVK over the past week, I really liked what I saw, I was the only one in the pool that chose them to beat the Swedes.
Beans15 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 08:52:26
quote:

I was seriously shocked to hear Slovakia beat Sweden, I really thought that Sweden would be Canada's toughest test, especially after an emotional and very well played game against the Russians.

Now, I have absolutely no worries . . . Slovakia does not scare me in the slightest. The planets aligning for a second time for Slovakia to gift them 4 goals on 14 shots is not going to happen again, and Canada's offence is really clicking right now. Even with a performance below the one last night - and I do expect at least a slight letdown - I think Canada will roll over the non-physical Slovaks, it will be another blowout I predict.

Slozo, you've already underestimated the Slovak's once, better be careful about doing it again. If you don't remember, Slovakia was my dark horse to which you disagreed.

I jest, I jest.

I too am happy to see the Sweds out, but I hope that Slovakia still comes to play. Nothing like getting so hyped for Russia, slacking off a bit if the Slovak's mail it in, and then have to get ready for the Fins or US.

Another note - Remember how everyone always discounts the Fins in major competitions and gives all the props to the Russians, Czech's and Sweds???

So pumped for Friday night. I better start getting my liver warmed up today.
Alex116 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 08:43:47
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection
I guess the rest of Canada and Russia were chopped meat.[/b]

Hugh.....apparently if that's true, at least we appeared to be a fine roast beef while the rest of the Russians looked like spam?

If Canada can continue to come out early in games and dictate the way they did physically and on the cycle, winning those battles along the boards, the gold will be ours!

I thought Toews was player of the game, centering a line which had the responsibility of playing the most minutes against Ovechkins line. He not only contributed to neutralizing Ovie and his linemates, but he chipped in offensively as well!

While Doughty was great, so too IMO was Niedermayer who seemed to be out with Weber vs Ovie most of the night as well! Great game from a guy who'd looked pretty mediocre in a couple of others.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 02/25/2010 : 08:13:31
I'm just thrilled that neither Crosby or Ovechkin did a damn thing in last night's contest. The media hype trying to boil the matchup down to two players was just ridiculous and annoying to begin with. "Crosby vs. Ovechkin" lol. I guess the rest of Canada and Russia were chopped meat.

Hopefully the media can start praising Canada for why its good- it's depth from the first to the fourth line. Last night we saw Boyle, Perry, Toews, Doughty stand out, with almost everyone pitching in here and there.
Leafs81 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 07:39:39
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

The amount of anger in me right now is ridiculous. I love the Swedes, wanted to see them against Canada so bad. What do they do, oh lets put Pahlsson on the ice with a minute left? Ya serious? Halak I can't wait until your shipped out March 3rd. Lidstrom it is time to retire 100% your just not the guy you were 3 even 2 years ago, can't let the rep get tainted.

But in other news lets go Canada, I hope we rip 9 on Halak.

Really you were cheering that much for Sweden???? They won the gold last time, and as a canadian I much rather see the defending champs out of the picture.

Play your game Canada and no let down the Slovaks are playing with confidence right now.

We Want Sovakia!!!!

What a game last night wow!!!!
Guest9836 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 06:34:13
I don't predict a blowout, but the Canadians definately matchup against the Slovaks better than they do against the Swedes. The slovaks have taken it to the Russians and the Swedes now and Halak is on fire.

This is not the time to let up because we beat the Russians. Gaborik, Hossa, Demitra and a suprising Zednik are leading this team, even Palffy has 4 assists. Chara is a pretty big (pun intended) defensive presence back there.

Can we beat, definately, the exact same way as they did the Russians. Neutralize Gaborik and Hossa, play phsyical and have a strong D game. You just have to hope the energy and emotional level stays high. If it does, I'd say you're looking at 5-2, 6-2.
n/a Posted - 02/25/2010 : 06:01:38
I was seriously shocked to hear Slovakia beat Sweden, I really thought that Sweden would be Canada's toughest test, especially after an emotional and very well played game against the Russians.

Now, I have absolutely no worries . . . Slovakia does not scare me in the slightest. The planets aligning for a second time for Slovakia to gift them 4 goals on 14 shots is not going to happen again, and Canada's offence is really clicking right now. Even with a performance below the one last night - and I do expect at least a slight letdown - I think Canada will roll over the non-physical Slovaks, it will be another blowout I predict.

umteman Posted - 02/25/2010 : 02:51:35
Team Canada is firing on all cyliners now. But will playing 4 games in 6 days take a toll or be just what they need to keep it going? Given the way they are playing now and the US struggle against the Swiss I doubt we can beat them a second time.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Guest4271 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 01:39:32
Halak rocks. Price is a bum.
Alex116 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 00:07:28
Axey, you're tough . If the Habs ship him out, his performance at these games can only increase what the Habs might get in return? He's been pretty solid from what i've seen?

Toews was awesome tonight and has been one of our best forwards since the start! He wasn't getting a lot of ice early in the games but what a move by the coach(es) to bump him up to a line with Nash and Richards! Man they looked good!

I too would have enjoyed a Canada / Sweden game but the gold is all that matters now. I could care less if it's a high school team next, it's all about getting a rematch with the US. Then again, never count out those pesky Fins.....
Axey Posted - 02/24/2010 : 23:34:24
The amount of anger in me right now is ridiculous. I love the Swedes, wanted to see them against Canada so bad. What do they do, oh lets put Pahlsson on the ice with a minute left? Ya serious? Halak I can't wait until your shipped out March 3rd. Lidstrom it is time to retire 100% your just not the guy you were 3 even 2 years ago, can't let the rep get tainted.

But in other news lets go Canada, I hope we rip 9 on Halak.
polishexpress Posted - 02/24/2010 : 23:17:12
Nice! Russia out of the way, beautiful game!

And good on Slovakia, slaying the Swedes.

USA vs. Canada in the final?
K73 Posted - 02/24/2010 : 23:15:24
aaaaaaaand Slovakia beats Sweden 4-3
Beans15 Posted - 02/24/2010 : 22:27:47
Unfortunately, other obligations kept me from watching the entire game but I caught the 1st period. If that was any indication of the game, Canada has finally hit it's stride and it peaking at the right time.

How good are those forwards??? Toews-Richards-Nash were awesome in the first and I think really set the tone. When the big line for Russia went the entire 1st period and a PP without a quality chance, that was the begining of the end.
n/a Posted - 02/24/2010 : 21:43:23
Wow, and I thought I was harsh on Canada's 8-2 win over Germany, lol!

Seriously, I am not sure that Canada can play any better than they did tonight. The big problem that I thought they had - defence? Totally tightened against a very skilled and dynamic team. They intercept just about every pass in the neutral zone and during the first period when the game was still in doubt almost never let Russia get set up in the attacking zone. The D also added very nicely to the offence.

The forwards? Everyone running on all cyclinders. Luongo? Amazing, no one could have stopped those three goals (all perfect see-eye shots through heavy traffic).

If Canada plays 85% as well as tonight against Sweden on Friday, we are going to the gold medal game.

I was extremely impressed.

Guest0854 Posted - 02/24/2010 : 20:35:13
quote:

Canada defeats the mighty Russian bear by the unlikely (and pretty unprecedented) score of 7-3, with Canada playing a near perfect game.

How do you think Canada will fare against their next opponent (probably Sweden) and can they do anything to improve other than play how they did tonight?

Thoughts and comments on the Russia/Canada game.

1. SJ will never win the stanley cup with Nabokov in nets.
2. The forwards are meshing quite well with the new line combos.
3. Staal had is 3rd game in a row of awesomeness. I hope that crash into the boards didn't leave any lasting injuries.
4. Defence is contributing to the offense nicely. I can't believe we went toe to toe with the Russians in scoring and came out on top.
5. I feel Bergeron's pain. Pat, just win that face off and come back to the bench if you can. Ouch.
6. Some slight defensive lapse that needs to be cleaned up. Zone coverage better but not yet perfect.
7. Ride Luongo as far as you can. The team seems more confident with him back there.
8. I hope nobody questions Morrow's selection on the team regardless what happens onwards. He showed his worth in spades this game. But he has played like this since the start of the tourney.
9. Getzlaf and Perry woke up, but energy from Morrow really help these two. If they start to wake up, now we have the depth that was boasted about prior to the start of the tourney.
10. Sid and Ovie were hyped, but played second, no tenth fiddle in the game.
11. The forwards were extremely helpful coming back to help the defense.
12. Is it me or does Pronger seem much slower here than in a Philly or Ducks uniform? Note he didn't have a bad game, but he seems awfully slow out there - almost Hal Gill like. Yikes.
13. That Russian defensemen with the bum knee shouldn't have played. He was used and abused - I'll leave it to you to fill in - like a _____ in a ______.
14. Much better game than the game against the Germans. Still room for improvement. A game like this would probably beat the winner of the Sweden/Slovakia game.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page