Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2nd Round - Sharks vs Red Wings

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/28/2010 : 09:44:54
Who will win the series between the San Jose Sharks and the Detroit Red Wings?

Here we have the two-time returning finalist, and the most dominant western team during the regular season. Thoughts on the keys to the series for both teams, and who will prevail and why.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4816 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 12:00:12
and your doing what exactly, it wouldnt be "trolling" now would it?
Guest9103 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 05:08:18
Most people have better things to do than to troll random forums... Trolls always think "haha I'm so funny, I got them", whereas everyone else look sat them and thinks "how pathetic..."
Guest4816 Posted - 05/11/2010 : 17:35:51
ur telling me to get a life and u spend time posting on a hockey forum on an actual account. u realize im f***ing with u guys. i say one thing and you all get all worked up WOW! if my posts aren't valuable then why are you wasting your time responding to them. Its guys like you that make it impossible for guests not to stir it up because you always go for it, your a f***ing idiot.
nuxfan Posted - 05/11/2010 : 15:42:27
Oh no, its the big tough anonymous poster....erm, posting nothing valuable....anonymously.

Anyone that comes to sports forums to spout non-sports crap is a L-O-S-E-R. We're all better than you Guest4816, get a life.
Guest4816 Posted - 05/11/2010 : 15:16:10
uh oh its the big tough alex. oh no he showed me up, im speechless i have no idea wut to say back now. u think ur so much better than me dont you, suck my d*** bitch
Alex116 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 21:39:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4816

everyone on this forum is so fukin obnoxious, like holy f*** shut the f*** up. u all seem to think u no more than everyone else about hockey, jesus christ

And you're here why?
Guest4816 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 17:59:42
everyone on this forum is so fukin obnoxious, like holy f*** shut the f*** up. u all seem to think u no more than everyone else about hockey, jesus christ
Guest6813 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 15:30:45
Alright Sharks Win! Give credit to Jumbo Joe Rocks who is now my favourite writer because he said they would win in 5 or 6 and because he keeps his answers short which is nice and he likes the sharks.
Porkchop73 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 14:55:43
Alexx116, I am not slagging the wings. Wings are and always will be the class of the NHL as an organization. This years team I believe was not as strong as the past in spite of few changes. Perhaps injury, perhaps veterans just tiring out. They finished strong to make the playoffs. Probably should not have been there but winning 15 of your last 20 helps. So does the Flames absolutely tanking the last half of the season. But I digress.....could have, should have doesn't mean squat. I still respect the Wings and was just commenting on how their fans turned to excuses this year. Something they have not needed to to for a long time.

As for being out coached. Todd Mclellan (sp) was a former asst coach of the Redwings. He is widely credited for the style of puck possession the wings play and play very successfully. Watching the series, IMO, the sharks took the puck possession away from the Wings and forced them to play more defensive of a game and not letting their skilled forwards carry the puck. Hard to do but the Sharks were able to accomplish this. Babcock is a good coach but this time he was unable to get the Wings playing their game. For that reason I say he was out coached.
Again not slagging the Wings but I think this year they were not truly a playoff contender.
Alex116 Posted - 05/09/2010 : 22:01:10
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Wings rode a hot streak at the end of the year to make the playoffs. They were out played by the Coyotes should not have gotten by in the first round but experience pulled them through.
However with the exception of game 4 the Sharks owned the Wings in this series. I know everyone is going to say "the Wings outscored the Sharks, how is it that the Sharks owned the Wings?" The Sharks controlled the way each game was played (except game 4) and took puck possession away from the Wings. They were out-coached by their former assistant coach who helped develop the system the Wings play today. And finally Big Joe showed up and scored 9 pts in his last 6 games.
Funny that the wings fans are blaming the series loss on a hit by Murray on Franzen in game 5 just before the series winning goal. Wings fans are not used to losing and now the excuses will start flying. Just a thought for you Wings fans, it was game 5 and one really good clean hit did not end your series. For the first time in a long time the Wings were truly not a legitimate playoff team.

PC, so far from the truth (bolded). Some of what you say is legit, but that line doesn't come close to the truth.

I'm not even a Wings fan and i certainly won't make excuses for them but to say they "rode a hot streak" and imply that they weren't worthy of the playoffs is pretty harsh! They were decimated by injuries for the first half of the year. Maybe when they got their "guns" back late in the season and went on a roll it shouldn't have been so surprising to so many people? That "run" they went on had much more to do with being healthy than it did them riding a hot streak!

Personally, i think this series was a lot closer than it appears on paper. I think the better team won, but to slag the Wings in any way, shape or form is a bit much IMO.

As for the Franzen hit (by Murray), def should have been a penalty! While you can't really blame losing the entire series on a missed call, you (a Wings fan) certainly have a case to claim that in a 1-1 third period tie in a must win game, that that's a power play you could have used in a big way!

Out coached? Please explain this part if nothing else.....?
Porkchop73 Posted - 05/09/2010 : 12:51:24
Wings rode a hot streak at the end of the year to make the playoffs. They were out played by the Coyotes should not have gotten by in the first round but experience pulled them through.
However with the exception of game 4 the Sharks owned the Wings in this series. I know everyone is going to say "the Wings outscored the Sharks, how is it that the Sharks owned the Wings?" The Sharks controlled the way each game was played (except game 4) and took puck possession away from the Wings. They were out-coached by their former assistant coach who helped develop the system the Wings play today. And finally Big Joe showed up and scored 9 pts in his last 6 games.
Funny that the wings fans are blaming the series loss on a hit by Murray on Franzen in game 5 just before the series winning goal. Wings fans are not used to losing and now the excuses will start flying. Just a thought for you Wings fans, it was game 5 and one really good clean hit did not end your series. For the first time in a long time the Wings were truly not a legitimate playoff team.
irvine Posted - 05/09/2010 : 01:07:59
Excellent game.

The Sharks are playing well. Colorado gave them a little scare in the first series. And, I don't think they want to feel like that again during these playoffs.

With that being said, I don't think San Jose dominated this game though. The Red Wings play just as well as San Jose, certainly not better, but just as well.

The game could have gone either way. San Jose could go all the way this year, but I still think they need to step it up a whole, nuvva, LEVEL!

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 22:50:49
Wow, that was a pretty entertaining game and if i were a Shark, i'd be very thankful that Nabby bounced back with a SOLID performance to help clinch that series! It's pretty obvious they didn't wanna have to go back to Detroit with the possibility of a game 7 looming! Congrats to the Sharks!

A SJ / Chicago series would be epic and i too could see either of those teams beating the best from the east, even the Pens if they end up there?

If it is SJ / Chi, i will be rooting for SJ but not because the Hawks will have eliminated the Canucks for the second time in 2 years! I actually like the Hawks team and the way they've turned that organization around since the death of Bill Wirtz. I'm not just talking about the on ice product which obviously benefitted from some good draft picks, but the corporate stuff as well, most notably, the TV deal.

It'd be easy for me to cheer for guys like Toews (one of my fav's) and all the local BC talent they have (Keith, Seabrook, Ladd, etc) but i have a soft spot for the long suffering SJ organization and their fans! They really are due! Not to mention, i've always like Joe Thornton as a player and he really needs a cup to solidify his HOF career!

Be one helluva series, IF it happens (still hanging onto a very thin line of hope)
Beans15 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 22:14:06
Well, maybe it wasn't the clinic I predicted, but it is over.

Maybe now San Jose will get some respect.

In 24 hours, the Western Final will be set, with the Sharks playing the Hawks. I am also calling the winner of that series to go on to win the Cup.
Alex116 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 01:15:46
Irv, i understand. And please, trust me, i wasn't trying to undermine you in any way. Just seemed odd the way you explained it.

We're all entitled to our opinions and in this case, my choice would easily have been Detroit with it's mix of scoring, D, experience and grit. Yeah, a rookie goalie scares me a bit (and i'm not even a Det fan) but a team with that history and that mix of guys who suddenly got healthy would be the last team i'd wanna have a 3-0 lead on. But hey, that's me.... Maybe next year i'll have the poll?
Guest9103 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 21:34:18
quote:
Guest 9103 - I have edited the poll to reflect your wish . . . which had to come only after Chicago pulled into a 2 games to 1 lead, lol. That's confidence for ya!

Thanks for putting it in. Kind of makes me sad that I'm the only one that voted for it... As far as you commenting that it came after they took a 2-1 lead, I have 5 Chicagos in my pool. I had predicted the first round correctly for the West, Chi>Van and Det>SJ in the second, then Chi>Det and finally Chi>Wsh. Obviously, I called the East pretty wrong, but meh.
irvine Posted - 05/07/2010 : 19:16:13
Perhaps my wording was not exactly how it should have been.

My pick, would have been the Pens... correct.

But, I was saying what Detroit specifically has to do, in order to come back. Not any team, Detroit.

If I were talking of the Pens, coming back from 3-0... I'd also say they have to play their style of game, but their style is more capitalizing on the oppositions mistakes (in my opinion).

The Pens play a game where, if you make a mistake, it ends up in the back of your net. The Pens are very oppourtunistic, offensively.

The reason I spoke of Detroit, even though my pick would have been Pittsburgh, is because Detroit is in this predicament. Not the Pens. Thus, why even give an analysis revolving around the Penguins. They would have been my pick. But, Detroit needs to do it. Thus, I gave my thoughts on how Detroit can.

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 10:30:44
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I am going to end the specualtion right here, folks - it ain't happening.

And not that it couldn't ever happen, or that I would entertain the possibility of it, but - Detroit has a rookie goaltender, and although good, he isn't "one of the greats" (ie: he is no Patrick Roy).

So for me, that stops dead any talk about a 3-0 comeback attempt . . . because inevitably, he will have another soft game in the next three. Even if Detroit wins the next 2, I'd still lay all my money on San Jose in the 7th - just because of goaltending.

And older defence for Detroit, which I think will catch up to them once again (probably next game).

Before the playoffs, what team would have gotten my vote for best chance to come back from a 3-0 defecit? Washington.

The other thing that adds to the no chance of a comeback theory is SJ this year vs other years and specifically their coaching.

What happened in COL after losing a game they should have won and not finding a way to beat a hot goalie?? SJ came out with the best game of the series afterwards and put COL on the ropes.

Same thing happens tomorrow night. SJ, at home, will be putting on a clinic and dashing all the hopes and dreams of the Red Wings Fans.

Alex116 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 07:49:12
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Well, in all honesty if that question were asked me before the playoffs began, i'd have likely voted for the Penguins (@ Alex116).

However, we all have to be aware (and i'm sure most of us are), at the poise, skill & experience the Red Wings have on their roster.

Being down 3 games to 0 is tough for any team, including the Red Wings (Or Pens). But a team like Detroit have the tools required to come back, they just need to play their style of game.

And that is defensive minded hockey. Shutting down the neutral zone. Not allowing open ice passes. Playing dump and chase hockey.

They have to get their guys to the front of the net, as they are known to do. (Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Franzen...) the list goes on. It's what this team does best. And if Detroit plays their style, their system of hockey... they can do whatever is needed. They are well coached, and their system works.

Montreal proved systems and defense can win a series (being down 3-1)... Detroit, in my opinion, has a stronger and more developed (over the past 5 years or so) system than Montreal. What's one extra game, if you're that much more developed? :)

Irvine/prez.

Ivine....interesting analysis. First you say that Pittsburgh would have been your choice, then you go on to explain (bolded above) what a team needs to be able to do to come back from 3-0? The part i put in italics i would hardly consider Pittsburgh's strengths? Further, after saying what a team needs to do, you say "It's what this team does best" (talking about Detroit)? Yet you'd have voted Pittsburgh had a poll been available?

@Slozo...... I sorta understand the Washington pick, only because of pure offense, but i figure if a team could get up on a team like Washington it's because they've been able to outscore them and personally, with Washington's goaltending situation, they wouldn't even be a consideration in my vote!

Not trying to start an argument guys, especially since this poll does't exist, just saying.......
n/a Posted - 05/07/2010 : 05:09:38
I am going to end the specualtion right here, folks - it ain't happening.

And not that it couldn't ever happen, or that I would entertain the possibility of it, but - Detroit has a rookie goaltender, and although good, he isn't "one of the greats" (ie: he is no Patrick Roy).

So for me, that stops dead any talk about a 3-0 comeback attempt . . . because inevitably, he will have another soft game in the next three. Even if Detroit wins the next 2, I'd still lay all my money on San Jose in the 7th - just because of goaltending.

And older defence for Detroit, which I think will catch up to them once again (probably next game).

Before the playoffs, what team would have gotten my vote for best chance to come back from a 3-0 defecit? Washington.

irvine Posted - 05/07/2010 : 03:03:02
Well, in all honesty if that question were asked me before the playoffs began, i'd have likely voted for the Penguins (@ Alex116).

However, we all have to be aware (and i'm sure most of us are), at the poise, skill & experience the Red Wings have on their roster.

Being down 3 games to 0 is tough for any team, including the Red Wings (Or Pens). But a team like Detroit have the tools required to come back, they just need to play their style of game.

And that is defensive minded hockey. Shutting down the neutral zone. Not allowing open ice passes. Playing dump and chase hockey.

They have to get their guys to the front of the net, as they are known to do. (Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Franzen...) the list goes on. It's what this team does best. And if Detroit plays their style, their system of hockey... they can do whatever is needed. They are well coached, and their system works.

Montreal proved systems and defense can win a series (being down 3-1)... Detroit, in my opinion, has a stronger and more developed (over the past 5 years or so) system than Montreal. What's one extra game, if you're that much more developed? :)

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 19:14:56
Irv,isn't it funny though how Detroit still garners respect? I mean seriously, if we'd done a poll at the start of the playoffs that said "which team would you think could possibly come back from a 3-0 series defecit to win?", Detroit would prob have won in a landslide! I seriously wouldn't count them out just yet. It's a huge long shot, but if any team can do it......
irvine Posted - 05/06/2010 : 18:52:45
If Johan Franzen, Todd Bertuzzi & Henrik Zetterberg play the rest of this series, like they did tonight together... WOW!

Franzen: 4 Goals, 2 Assists, 6 Points
Bertuzzi: 1 Goal, 4 Asssits, 5 Points

Not a bad night for both!

That line single handily won the game for the Red Wings. The rest of the team will need to pick it up though, in order to come back from 3 games down.

Irvine/prez.
n/a Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:16:49
Guest 9103 - I have edited the poll to reflect your wish . . . which had to come only after Chicago pulled into a 2 games to 1 lead, lol. That's confidence for ya!

Boy, it sure looks like the Wings are toast. All hail CHANGE you can believe in . . . a new western finalist this year!!!

Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 05/06/2010 : 10:55:05
The Sharks will take the Wings in 4 tonight

GO SHARKS GO
Guest9103 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 19:22:11
Where's the "Doesn''t matter - they''ll be meat for the beast when the Blackhawks meet them" option?
Alex116 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 18:36:08
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4072

I predicted earlier that the Wings would eventually fall to the fatigue factor in this series. I guess it came quicker then I expected.
Two straight Cup final appearances; a hard push in the 2nd half of the season to go from 9th to 5th in their conference; a tough 7-game series with semi-lengthy travel against Phoenix; and now even further travel time against an even better team. Add all that up and you have one very tired team.

Heard today that they've (Wings) been away from home for 21 of the past 24 days or something like that? That's gotta wear on ya eventually!
Guest4072 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 16:39:50
I predicted earlier that the Wings would eventually fall to the fatigue factor in this series. I guess it came quicker then I expected.
Two straight Cup final appearances; a hard push in the 2nd half of the season to go from 9th to 5th in their conference; a tough 7-game series with semi-lengthy travel against Phoenix; and now even further travel time against an even better team. Add all that up and you have one very tired team.
Gusteroni Posted - 05/05/2010 : 14:43:19
Wings down 0 - 3. Will they become only the third team in NHL history to come back and win 4 to take the series in 7? Only the 1942 Leafs (against the Wings) and the 1975 Islanders (against the Pens) have ever done such a thing.

If I was to choose a team that could possibly reach such a feat it would have to be the Wings, but I just don't think they have the goaltending to do it and they seem really tired. Good luck to them...especially Zetterberg and Filpula as they're in my pool!!

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Leafs81 Posted - 04/29/2010 : 16:23:40
The toughest serie to predict. I first predicted Detroit would go in the west final. But I now change my prediction to San Jose, because San Jose kind of woke up after game 3 vs Colorado.

San Jose in 7...
Guest4072 Posted - 04/29/2010 : 15:23:07
Detroit's tired after a 7-game slugfest with Phoenix, and exausted a lot of energy in the 6-1 thrashing two nights ago. Guys like Lidstrom aren't exactly young anymore. Have to wonder how long they can last, especially with the even longer travel time now. It'll catch up to them eventually.
Sharks in 7.
Guest3421 Posted - 04/29/2010 : 14:43:33
I think the real question is if Jimmy Howard is Craig Anderson. If he can play on par or better than Anderson did last series, he will give Detroit a chance. If he cannot save a few games, they better hope Nabby is horrible.
Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 04/29/2010 : 13:13:40
Gotta go with San Jose if they keep 60 shots a game they will score on the rookie Howard they will win in 5 or 6

'' GO SHARKS GO ''
Gusteroni Posted - 04/29/2010 : 11:26:05
I have a hard time giving the Sharks any kind if credit when it comes to the playoffs, therefore I cannot vote for them here.

It will be the Red Wings in 6 or 7 games. Watching the Wings against the Coyotes in game 7 they showed why they are such an elite team. If they keep up with that type of execution on offense and the solid D they played they will fare well. Everyone is healthy now, tired yes but with all the experience on that team and the adversity they faced in round one I feel they know how to get it done.

I do however at the very least think the Sharks win game one but then the Wings will be flying.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Guest4033 Posted - 04/29/2010 : 08:57:33
Gotta go with Detroit. SJ has guns but they're not firing like Detroits.
Detroit in 5.
strech that twine Posted - 04/29/2010 : 07:53:58
Detriot is DETROIT and S.J is san jose...

Detriot won the season series 3-1 and the loss was in a shoot out..Detriot in 5

Detroit on their way to the finals again ?...I hate this team..

When asked about the exectuion of his offence he responded " I'm in favor of it"
n/a Posted - 04/28/2010 : 19:30:18
I voted Sharks, but it'll come down to a few key knocks against the former champs for me.

Howard in goal being a rookie; Datsyuk and Zetterberg shutdown will be the end of the offence for Detroit; and an aging Lidstrom and Rafalski.

No, I don't think Heatley and Thornton will light it up . . . but I do think the San Jose defence has continually improved, and they looked very, very solid the last two games. They are too deep, and they showed real poise against a hot goalie and two very fluky goals that would have shaken any snakebitten team to its core - but they soldiered on, and continued to get even better.

But what do I know, I picked the Caps over the Habs, lol!

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 04/28/2010 : 17:52:28
Givin it to the Sharks

SanJose - Chicago western final

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
umteman Posted - 04/28/2010 : 16:44:30
Gotta go with Detroit. A second round Sharks exit is an established tradition - barring last years aberration.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
nuxfan Posted - 04/28/2010 : 10:44:38
I think now that the Sharks have cleared the hurdle of Making It Past The First Round, they will be a more relaxed team and will come out strong. Detroit is good, but I don't know how Howard is going to do facing all those SJ shots.

I think SJ in 6, maybe 5.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page