Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Trade Evgeni Malkin?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 05/13/2010 : 22:51:59
Should the Pittsburgh Penguins trade Evgeni Malkin this off-season?

Irvine/prez.
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 05/27/2010 : 08:10:00
quote:
Originally posted by Deaner

I wont jump all over you pasty just a conversation. everybody has their opinion and im interested to hear everybodys thats why im on here. Malkin does have a trend of trying to be too fancy sometimes, maybe that is part of being a young kid but you are right there is no need for it when you're that deep in the playoffs, you need to play smart but fact is he is an elite player and he is going to be for a while yet. might be a good thing for him to be the number 1 guy on a crappy team to see his true colours. guess we will have to wait and see.

see this i can agrre with he is most deffinetly an elite player in the NHL no question there he is young and yess he should be Elite for a long time. But A i would not trade the farm to build a team around this type of player for one,,, sorta like how the Thrasher could not build a winner around Kovy,, i havn't gone through the names in my head but i really do not see malkin as a top 5 in the league and i would rather have my first round picks and build something,,, would it be better for Malking to be a number 1 center of course,,, but call me crazy i'd take a Geztlaf before a Malkin

Pasty
Deaner Posted - 05/27/2010 : 06:11:25
I wont jump all over you pasty just a conversation. everybody has their opinion and im interested to hear everybodys thats why im on here. Malkin does have a trend of trying to be too fancy sometimes, maybe that is part of being a young kid but you are right there is no need for it when you're that deep in the playoffs, you need to play smart but fact is he is an elite player and he is going to be for a while yet. might be a good thing for him to be the number 1 guy on a crappy team to see his true colours. guess we will have to wait and see.
Pasty7 Posted - 05/27/2010 : 06:03:11
quote:

I would say that malkin is for sure in the top three...this season wasnt the greatest but the guy is still young he just won the cup and for sure he took it a little easier. but take a look at last year, after losing the cup to detroit the guy came back with passion and killed it, he was the best player in the league last year reg season and playoffs...dont forget that

see i remember in the washington series the year the pens won the cup , Malkin was very present, but not on the scoresheet, turning over pucks at his own blueline trying to dipsy doodle around players at half speed and almost looking like he had never played a nhl game then in the Carolina series conference final he suddenly started having 2 goal 3 point games when his team was winning games 7-1 and 5 -1,, to me that is not mvp he won it because he had a lot of points but he in no way was the best player in the playoffs, and again don't jump all over me that is how i remember the playoffs i was in utter shock when he won the smyth

Pasty
Guest2115 Posted - 05/27/2010 : 05:35:17
quote:

I would say that malkin is for sure in the top three...this season wasnt the greatest but the guy is still young he just won the cup and for sure he took it a little easier. but take a look at last year, after losing the cup to detroit the guy came back with passion and killed it, he was the best player in the league last year reg season and playoffs...dont forget that

uhh i didn't forget it i know that he wasn't!
Deaner Posted - 05/27/2010 : 04:38:53
Guest5052 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 15:26:04
I'm not sure that Malkin isnt the Third best player in the league.

I know people say he's lazy, and he can appear that way, but his stats in the last three years are better than anyone else's not named ovechkin. He showed he could step up when it matter and win the con smythe, so that puts him well ahead of a much older Joe Thornton; and remember that it wasnt so long ago that people knocked Datsyuk and Zetterberg as not being good enough in the playoffs. Now grant you, they have proved people wrong, but my point is that at 23, Malkin has already established himself as an elite player, and I cant think of too many trades where the team that has shipped an elite player has got the better of the trade.

There are not too many guys now that get back to back 100 point seasons. In fact, other than Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, (Heatley I think)I cant really think of any and certainly none who did so at such a young age.

FLYING -V Posted - 05/26/2010 : 15:09:33
[quote]Originally posted by Guest9169

Flying -V: I would hardly call Doug Wickenheiser a bust. Being drafted by Montreal ruined him. Montreal had too many big names -- Guy Lafleur, Guy Carboneau etc, so Wickenheiser was never given his fair share of ice time. Not to mention in the 60, 70, 80's Montreal had a history of not giving rookies a fair shot in the pros.

[/quote

Not a bust??Are you joking? This is a guy who racked up 170 points in his last year of junior and was a sure-fire superstar. Yet at the NHL level he surpassed 20 goals and 50 points just once in his disapointing career.

And not a fair shot?? Are you kidding me? That is outrageous. The amount of great players who got their debuts in montreal during the time period you mentioned is huge. Even if most of them weren't instant sensations they still went on to incredible careers. Don't try and tell me that the most successful franchise in the post-entry draft era mismanaged a player who was destined for greatness. And how about his time in St. Louis?? Or did Montreal screw him up so badly that he never had a chance there?

You can argue what might have been all you want, but the fact is his NHL career was extremely underwhelming and he should be considered a bust

Its not worth winning if you cant win big!
Guest9169 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 14:51:32
Flying -V: I would hardly call Doug Wickenheiser a bust. Being drafted by Montreal ruined him. Montreal had too many big names -- Guy Lafleur, Guy Carboneau etc, so Wickenheiser was never given his fair share of ice time. Not to mention in the 60, 70, 80's Montreal had a history of not giving rookies a fair shot in the pros.

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 13:55:11
Not going to attack you man haha. Its not like you said anything along the lines of "typical leaf fan response" hehe.

Well, Malkin did have a down year this year. but during all of his previous seasons he was trending upwards. Im pretty sure he was dealing with injuries this season and never really seemed to get things going like we had gotten used to seeing.

Malkin is only, what, 23-24 years old? The guy is a beast already and im not sure he has even filled out his frame yet. Few players handle the puck better than him, and few players can fight off checks along the wall and behind the net better than him.

You very well may be right, malkin could have peaked last year with an art ross, a conne smythe and a stanley cup, but I just dont see how a young man with his kind of potential doesnt get better.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Pasty7 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 13:15:48
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Malkin isnt going anywhere, trading him would be retarded....

The pens made it to the finals 2 years in a row with these so called 'crappy wingers' and won it once. Its pretty obviously that their gameplan of strentgh up the middle works just fine. You can upgrade the wings other ways besides trading one of the best players in the world before he even reaches his prime.

who says he hasn't reached his prime? this year was a decline of last year? i not saying this is true but lets play devils advocate here,,,, there is a lot of laziness in his play, he looks a lot like the sterotype russian hockey player to me and that means as his career goes on his numbers go down,,,, i'm not saying this is gonna happen so please dont attack me but there are no gurantees that he stays a top 5 player in the league .... and thaats if you even think hes a top 5 now,, which he isn't

Pasty
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 12:44:05
Malkin isnt going anywhere, trading him would be retarded....

The pens made it to the finals 2 years in a row with these so called 'crappy wingers' and won it once. Its pretty obviously that their gameplan of strentgh up the middle works just fine. You can upgrade the wings other ways besides trading one of the best players in the world before he even reaches his prime.

Pasty7 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 11:31:05
Montreal sends pitts Mike Cammalleri a 1rst and second round pick, for Malkin ,, why not Cammalleri can easily put up a point per game playing along side crosby is realtivly young and is a proven playoff performer under a good contract for the next 5 seasons , the habs get the big center they have always wanted!

Pasty
Deaner Posted - 05/26/2010 : 11:06:34
Any team should consider themselves lucky to have a guy like malkin, if it were up to me he'd be a leaf but since there's a fat chance of that happenin I think he would be best off on a team that's already given him a cup win and they still will be top contenders for years to come...
Guest2914 Posted - 05/25/2010 : 14:01:38
Im a die hard penguins fan and I truly believe Malkin is the best player in the NHL given a solid core of wingers. Who has he had on his line in the past 3 years? Come on now, give Malkin any wingers on the first line of any team in the NHL and he will finish a top of the league in points. Everyone says that crosby hasn't had talented wingers to play with, well he has still had first dibs on anyone the pens pick up at deadline. Guerin and kunitz were picked up and both were immediately placed on crosbys line so Malkin gets stuck with the leftover wingers. I would love to see Malkin stay but I agree that he needs to go to get penguins the much needed depth up front and in the back end. I would love to see a guy like kovalchuk come back with a 2nd line defensman for malkin. Malkin will get his own team and finally prove to the world that he isn't just a guy in crosbys shadow...I guess winning the art ross and conn smyth along with the stanley cup in the same year just didn't do it.
Guest9423 Posted - 05/20/2010 : 15:45:33
MPS signs with the Oilers wooooo
nuxfan Posted - 05/20/2010 : 15:22:37
LeMagnifique:

- I would hardly call trading Malkin "blowing up" the team. The Pens are too strong down the middle and too weak on the wing. They have a need for wingers and an abundance of centres, and a looming cap problem. Sounds like a trade waiting to happen.

- Gonchar is UFA, so the Penguins will get exactly zero for him when he signs with another team. Hence, another dman might help the Pens, esp one that is good on the PP (when healthy and not playing in EDM)

- Taylor Hall plays LW, not centre. He is exactly the type of winger that any team would covet - especially one with an extremely talented C.

This trade makes a ton of sense from the PIT point of view. As pointed out though, it makes no sense from the EDM side. If PIT were to pull that kind of trade off, Shero would look like a genius.
LeMagnificent66 Posted - 05/20/2010 : 14:02:05
The trade to Edm doesn't really make sense in my mind. The latest knock on Pittsburgh is that they are middle heavy with little skill on the wings. So you trade Malkin to Edm for an Dman and another centre in Hall or Seguin??? C'mon

Look at the age of these 3 centres Crosby (22), Malkin (23) and Staal (21). Pittsburgh will be solid for a long time...so they didn't make it to the Stanley Cup finals 3 years in a row...time to blow everything up and start again??? They ran into a hot goalie who also robbed one Washington Ovechkins.

Why trade one of the top 3 players in the world? If I'm Ray Shero my first priority is building a defense, especially replacing a 36 year old Gonchar. Gonchar is making 5.5 Million and still has enough skill to lure some tempting offers from teams like Edm and NYR who have terrible PP's.

polishexpress Posted - 05/20/2010 : 11:29:03
Good point 9423.

Guest 5276, it doesn't matter whether Kessel is/was worth two 1st's and a 2nd. The fact is that the trade happened, and adds makes Malkin look like he is worth more.

But every trade is different, look at the Kovalchuk deal.

I echo the sentiments of those above: i'd rather rebuild the traditional method: drafting and wise trades, Edmonton would be giving up too much.

Funny thing is, Svennson isn't an guaranteed Oiler yet, he could still choose to play in Europe.
Guest5276 Posted - 05/20/2010 : 07:35:10
Kessel isn't worth two first rounders and a second rounder, at least not of the caliber that Toronto has/will supply. Burke is just an idiot.
Guest9423 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 20:22:56
As a Oilers fan and a fan of rebuild I would never take that trade. We are heading in the right direction no need to pull a Burke lets rebuild slowly but surely like Chicago and Pittsburgh did.

Question of the day is if Kessel is worth 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder, what is Malkin a bonofide superstar who averages 1.23 ppg get?
Guest3368 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 19:36:16
as a oilers fan i'd take that but there's no way Pittsburgh would do that
The Duke Posted - 05/19/2010 : 16:38:52
unproven NHL potential you mean, you can`t really say all of these guys are unproven potential, some of them have been proving what they can do all of their lives...just not in the NHL yet. Sure there are busts but surely every one knew crosby, taveres and stamkos were/are going to be great. Hall will be the same, look at the guy play, he wiil be a great cdn player, no doubt about it.
nuxfan Posted - 05/19/2010 : 13:46:58
quote:
Finally, from the cheap seats, I was not comparing Toews and Kane to Hall/Seguin and Svensson. I am saying the potential is there.

I know, just giving you a kick to the shins

Its the ultimate bet - do you go with proven star or unproven potential?
Beans15 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 13:39:43
Finally, from the cheap seats, I was not comparing Toews and Kane to Hall/Seguin and Svensson. I am saying the potential is there.

Why is it so hard to fathom that Hall could turn into as good if not a better player than Patrick Kane??

Ultimately, it's like the Kessel deal. More often than not, deals for established players for very high draft picks don't work out. How about the Lindros deal??

Bottom line and the main point was that a deal for anyone currently in the NHL for the #1 pick, Svensson, AND Souray is dumb.
nuxfan Posted - 05/19/2010 : 12:26:22
None of these trades make sense - personally I only seem the Pens trading Malkin to free up cap space, so why would they send 8.5M in salary one way and bring back 8-12M in salary? They can't do it.

The Pens cap hit is not bad next year, they 10M to spend on 7 players. However, for 11/12, they only have 10 players under contract and over 40M in cap hit - even if the cap goes up to, say 58M, the would have to sign 13 players for 18M. Thats an awful lot of mediocre players to surround their superstars with.

Beans, I agree with you, if I were an Edmonton fan I'd hate the prospect of acquiring Malkin for that price. But if I'm in charge in PIT, thats exactly the sort of trade I'd be looking for - shed a proven superstar with a superstar salary for some potential blue-chip prospects to build up another cup winner on the cheap. Ideally, shed 8.5M and take on 4-5M - one salary dump like Souray and 2 other budding stars on entry level deals.

Oh and Beans, surely you weren't serious about comparing Toews and Kane with "currently-undrafted-and-has-done-nothing-at-the-NHL-level" and "drafted-but-unproven-in-nhl-and-maturing-in-sweden"...
n/a Posted - 05/19/2010 : 09:42:55
Staal is NOT slow, and he is quite physical . . . this is why he was kept as a third line centre behind Crosby and Malkin, because you do need more hard-nosed, physical players on the third and fourth lines. However, this is all at the cost of his offensive talents, which are wasted there . . .

In Staal's rookie season, he scored 29 goals, and if memory serves correctly, he occasionally played on the wing with Malkin. If Staal can consistently score 20 goals on the third line behind Malkin and Crosby who take up the lion's share of minutes, and if he can score 29 goals playing very occasionally with a talented player like Malkin out of position . . . it certainly stands to reason that Staal could up his totals big time, on the second line - paired with another talented winger of B+ quality or better - and getting more minutes and more pp time.

In other words, Pittsburgh could be getting full value for him . .. which they aren't right now. And, I would argue that they are also not getting full value for Malkin either, but that is debateable.

Regardless, this is as good a reason as any to trade Malkin, and get full value for the great talents Pittsburgh already has, and then augment them with your return.

I know Crosby hasn't clicked with everyone, but the closest he has come to playing with real talent is a short try-out with Hossa. He has had an old Recchi, an old Guerin, Kunitz, Satan, even an old Roberts for a second.

Can you imagine Pittsburgh with Crosby and Heatley on the top line, and with Jordan Staal and Frolov on the second line? Because that is the kind of return you could get for Malkin through trades and free agent signings due to opened up cap space . . . and it's certainly food for thought.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Pasty7 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 08:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2748

Trade Malkin to Boston for Tim Thomas 4mil per year, Micheal Ryder 4 mil per year Blake Wheeler 1mil and the number 2 overall pick( maybe Hall). Theres three wingers, two with upside potential and the math fits. The key being Pittsburghs willingness to go for Thomas.

thomas is 5.6 million a year and no wont happen

Pasty
Guest2748 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 06:52:35
Trade Malkin to Boston for Tim Thomas 4mil per year, Micheal Ryder 4 mil per year Blake Wheeler 1mil and the number 2 overall pick( maybe Hall). Theres three wingers, two with upside potential and the math fits. The key being Pittsburghs willingness to go for Thomas.
Pasty7 Posted - 05/19/2010 : 05:38:42
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4384

Those of you praising Staal clearly do no watch Pens games regularly.Staal is SOOO slow, he is awful at faceoffs, he is really not all that physical. But his statistics would obviously increase if he played with any gifted talent. He did put up 49 points playing with Kennedy and Cooke, hardly world class offensive talent.

I understand the idea of trading Malkin, we need a physical big name dman because Fleury is a mediocre goaltender. The Pens probably have the worst wingers of any team in the league, but have the best centers. But Rupp, Adams, Talbot, Staal, Malkin and Crosby are all centers or have played center in the past. WE NEED WINGERS!!!

Staal slow? not physical? hmmmm

Pasty
Guest4384 Posted - 05/18/2010 : 16:45:18
Those of you praising Staal clearly do no watch Pens games regularly.Staal is SOOO slow, he is awful at faceoffs, he is really not all that physical. But his statistics would obviously increase if he played with any gifted talent. He did put up 49 points playing with Kennedy and Cooke, hardly world class offensive talent.

I understand the idea of trading Malkin, we need a physical big name dman because Fleury is a mediocre goaltender. The Pens probably have the worst wingers of any team in the league, but have the best centers. But Rupp, Adams, Talbot, Staal, Malkin and Crosby are all centers or have played center in the past. WE NEED WINGERS!!!
irvine Posted - 05/17/2010 : 22:49:56
Now, allow me to begin by saying that I in no way 'endorse' this trade, nor do I believe it will ever happen.

But, if PIT were to trade Malkin to CGY, I'd think something like:

To Calgary:
Evgeni Malkin
PIT 3rd Rd Pick

To Pittsburgh:
Jerome Iginla
Mikael Backlund

would suffice.

The Flames receive a top 5 Center in the NHL, something they have lacked for some time now. And, a 3rd round pick.

The Penguins, receive a talented, high end Winger with world class to play along side Sidney Crosby. Something, they have lacked.

With Iginla being older than Malkin, although, 31 isn't over the hill. The Penguins would require somebody young coming back with Iginla I believe. And what better than another Center to develop further, in Backlund. Who, could fit in Staal's old spot on the 3rd line, as he'd be moving to the second with the trade occuring.

Iginla is world class, but right now, Malkin is ahead of the game. So I don't see it being far fetched adding Backlund in to the mix, when Malkin goes the other way.

*** Also, I could see other players (ones, not really of great significance) and late round picks mixed in to the deal. Going either way, just because we can't see two big names moved, without adding a ton of extras.

Irvine/prez.
Guest4004 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 21:36:59
malkin for iginla, stajan, 1st rounder
Beans15 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 20:13:02
Alright then Willus, what's the deal?? Who do you move from Calgary to get Iginla with Crosby, move Malkin to Calgary, and make in interesting enough for both teams to do??
willus3 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 19:41:22
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Personally I would love to see Malkin and Iginla trade places. A guy who can actually score on Crosby's wing? Imagine.

Oh, hugely agree. Unfortunately, I think Iginla's a little long in the tooth to be involved in a Malkin straight up deal.

Although, I wonder if Dutter would be interested in a Iginla/Regehr(as you dislike the guy anyway) for Malkin and a 4thish round draft pick???

Although I am not supposed to like the guy because he plays for Calgary, Iginla is the classy, hardnosed kinda guy that you just have a hard time hating. I think he will be this generation's "best player without a Cup" if he doesn't leave Calgary and soon.

Yes, should have stated I didn't mean straight up. And no I don't want Regehr to go to the Penguins. I like the Penguins. I believe he has a no trade clause anyway.
Beans15 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 18:40:30
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Personally I would love to see Malkin and Iginla trade places. A guy who can actually score on Crosby's wing? Imagine.

Oh, hugely agree. Unfortunately, I think Iginla's a little long in the tooth to be involved in a Malkin straight up deal.

Although, I wonder if Dutter would be interested in a Iginla/Regehr(as you dislike the guy anyway) for Malkin and a 4thish round draft pick???

Although I am not supposed to like the guy because he plays for Calgary, Iginla is the classy, hardnosed kinda guy that you just have a hard time hating. I think he will be this generation's "best player without a Cup" if he doesn't leave Calgary and soon.
Guest2794 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 16:24:52
I cant see malkin going anywhere and if he were to leave I dont believe Sourays name would be in the same sentence. Now the Flames on the other hand are apparently eyeing the possibility of moving Iginla an already established scorer with tons of grit and immediate chemistry with Crosby from international play and makes 2 mil less then Malkin. That would make sence to me and would seem more logical then a pittsburgh-oilers trade.Not to mention Iggy is great on the wing. I cant really think of any other immediate impact trades pittsburgh would swing,,,but ya never know
Leafs81 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 15:41:07
First of a trade for a young superstar who is probably a top 5 forward in the league will take a lot. So for Edmonton to dump Souray's overpaid contract in a deal that would send two prospects would make sense. Sure they are doing great right now and they will probably be star one day, but you can never tell, at least with Malkin you know what you get. Also Edmonton has many young prospects, they will all ask big salaries sooner or later, and they wont be able to keep them all so to trade a couple in order to get one of the best player in the league who has an art ross, a conn smythe and a Stanley Cup at such a young age makes total sense to me. Plus having Malkin on the team would just take so much pressure off all the other young prospects. And like I said to dump Souray's salary along with it is just a bonus for Edmonton.

And I wont even start about the comparaison between Svensson and Hall to Toews and Kane.

Guys like Malkin, Toews and Kane are proven young superstar and teams would pay a lot to get a hand on one of those guys. It's not like they are over 30 years old. They are 23, 22 and 21 years old respectively.

Guys that young with that baggage behind them already is totally part of a team rebuilt plan. I would take a proven young (under 25) superstar anytime over a couple of prospects, no matter how good they could become. Unless it's a Crosby or a Ovechkin coming. But I think we all agree Hall is not in that catergory.
Guest2756 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 15:34:28
The oilers and penguins should make this trade except substitute Crosby for Malkin. Then you would see who the true superstar would be . Malkin would be a 140+ points per year.Crosby would be 80 to 90 on the oilers.
willus3 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 15:09:41
Guest2277 Posted - 05/16/2010 : 10:14:06
Beans you are absolutely right....sven. will be a major star, this guy is big and GOOD, then you`ve got a no-miss guy like Hall. I would never make this deal as a GM. Plus you are picking up 9 MILLION in cap vs maybe 3 year entry level contracts for both of these potential star NHL players and then watch them grow, giving you more cap room space to work with for 3 years. Pittsburg would jump at this deal if given the chance, like beans said guys, this deal WONT happen because you dont see these stupid type of deals. Where was malkin last round when needed ?? don`t put too much faith in these 9 MILLION dollar hockey players who only play when they want too....give me a mike richards ( good old cdn. ) any day over a malkin type !!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page