Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Free Agents

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 06/03/2010 : 04:42:28
What free agents would you like to see your team sign on July 1st,They must have never played for your team for you to choose them.

RE-SIGN PATTY
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/21/2010 : 08:26:55
Hmm - I forgot about the Campbell trade, and although it wasn't last year it's recent enough, and definitely a great barometer for Kaberle's trade value.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 06/21/2010 : 08:23:17
Oh, but Slozo, Campbell was traded before his big signing. He went from Buffalo(along with a 7th round draft pick) for Steve Bernier and a 1st round draft pick.

That would be about right for Kaberle as well. I never argued that he was not worth a 1st round pick, but he is not worth 2-1st round pick plus 2-3 roster players like Pronger has been in his past 2 trades.

We are comparing an elite offensive defenseman to an elite, top 3 in the NHL defensemen. It really is apples to oranges.

How about a comparison to Visnovsky?? That is a lot closer. Whitney(being a 5th overall pick) and a 6th round pick??

Who ever said the deal including a 1st rounder was unreasonable was way off. But anyone comparing the trade value of Kaberle to Pronger is also way off.
n/a Posted - 06/21/2010 : 06:15:22
Beans - we are not comparing apples to oranges when talking about the trade value of Pronger versus Kaberle. They are both highly skilled defencemen . . . and as everyone has pointed out a million times already, yes, Pronger is obviously more valuable (more physical and better defence, leader, cup experience).

But what was given for Pronger is at the very least a barometer for what may be given for Kaberle . . . I mean, if Brian Campbell had been traded as opposed to signed for a ridiculously high price, then that would have been a much better barometer for what Kaberle might garner. But in recent times, the closest we have to compare to is Pronger, so there you go.

I think Burke will get good value for Kaberle, but who knows until it happens. At any rate, I see a first round pick and a prospect, but how high the pick might be is anyone's guess. That price would be almost exactly half of what Pronger was given.

Guest6013 Posted - 06/20/2010 : 14:54:37
I LIKE KABERLE!
Beans15 Posted - 06/19/2010 : 06:39:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Pasty what are you talking about ? nothing for pronger ? didn`t Anaheim get not 1 but 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS for pronger ?? so you are saying if pronger fetched 2 first round picks....kaberle is not worth half that ?? 1 first round pick ? come-on

In Pronger you are talking about not only one of the top 3 defensive players in the NHL today, but also a top 5-7 overall defenseman in the league, a former Hart winner, a guy who has now lead 3 teams in the Cup final(don't tell me who the Captain is, I know, but Pronger is the leader no doubt) winning one of the them.

What has Kaberle done???

Let's be careful not to compare apples to oranges, two totally different things.
Deaner Posted - 06/18/2010 : 15:51:57
I hope the leafs go after marleau it would be amazing to see him in a leafs jersey plus it would definatly bring up our chances of watching a playoff team. doubt it will ever happen but i can't wait to see what the leafs do go after before the season starts.
LeMagnificent66 Posted - 06/15/2010 : 10:26:20
I think you'll see a slight change in the make-up of the Chicago Blackhawks. From what I can tell they should be in some big cap trouble. Signing Brian Cammbell long term for $7.14 million and Huet for 5.6 Million could really handcuff this team.

Which gives the opportunity for a team like the Leafs that are looking for some scoring and an agitator/defensive forward who can kill penalties.

Not sure how realistic it would be but I'd like to see Burke make an offer for either Patrick Sharp or better yet David Bolland would be ideal for this team at this time.

Obviously the Leafs need a first line centre but I think you bide your time and wait for the right guy. Until that guy becomes available you put the rest of the peices together.
Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 06/09/2010 : 11:19:01
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2479

my bad its supposed to say and a veteran goalie to help coach Ondrej Pavelec develop, he and Hedberg did well together as far as his development goes from what i was abe to see

was supposed to be guest 1481
anyone know wanna explain to me how to create a username and stuff its all kinda like not making sense

You just click on register and fill out the iinformation,Register is on the top right corner I am pretty sure.Or the top left corner.

RE-SIGN PATTY
Guest2479 Posted - 06/09/2010 : 09:35:37
my bad its supposed to say and a veteran goalie to help coach Ondrej Pavelec develop, he and Hedberg did well together as far as his development goes from what i was abe to see

was supposed to be guest 1481
anyone know wanna explain to me how to create a username and stuff its all kinda like not making sense
Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 06/08/2010 : 10:50:55
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1481

Well i think Atlanta needs to try and get back the face of the franchise, Ilya Kovalchuk, if he is not going to The KHL. they should just give him their check book and tell him here what do you think you need. He is the best pure offensive player in the league. If not kovalchuk then Marleau he always seemed to want to play where its warm, and where he wont be noticed as an athlete, San jose is no hockey town....

As well they should try to add some more muscle on Defense and

And and and and what
just write what your supposed to say hopefully he writes
and san jose rock so does thornton.

RE-SIGN PATTY

Guest1481 Posted - 06/07/2010 : 16:09:03
Well i think Atlanta needs to try and get back the face of the franchise, Ilya Kovalchuk, if he is not going to The KHL. they should just give him their check book and tell him here what do you think you need. He is the best pure offensive player in the league. If not kovalchuk then Marleau he always seemed to want to play where its warm, and where he wont be noticed as an athlete, San jose is no hockey town....

As well they should try to add some more muscle on Defense and
The Duke Posted - 06/07/2010 : 15:33:08
Pasty what are you talking about ? nothing for pronger ? didn`t Anaheim get not 1 but 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS for pronger ?? so you are saying if pronger fetched 2 first round picks....kaberle is not worth half that ?? 1 first round pick ? come-on
The Duke Posted - 06/07/2010 : 15:27:19
To be honest guys, i don`t think kaberle will fetch as much from the big players. I think he will go to a Columbus, Florida, NYI, type team. Teams who need desperately to make the playoffs to bring in the fan base, ( not that the leafs dont need to make the playoffs ))), but they do have a fanbase playoffs or not $$$$. These type of teams will offer more than they want to i think to get kaberle.
Pasty7 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 16:29:26
[quote]Originally posted by ryan93

I'd welcome Kaberle to the Rangers with welcome arms...but the price will probably be fairly high. I don't want to see the Rangers trade away any young core roster players like Dubinsky, Callahan, Del Zotto, etc...or prospects like Kreider, Stephan, Grachev, etc.
[/quote)
exactly what most gms think there is no way you get a bonified star for kabby no shot,,, you would have trouble getting a 1rst rounder or even a blue chip prospect espcially since his great contract is up after next year and he is free to sighn with anyone he wants,,, leaf fans get it out of your head that you can trade kabby for anything like jeff carter! what did the ducks get for pronger who is head and shoulders far more valuable than kabby will ever be,,, Joffery lupul,, ryan dingle luca sbisa ,,, you think you are gonna get something like jeff carter for kabby when that is all you can get for a prongner??? really i mean really

Pasty
ryan93 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 15:03:46
I'd welcome Kaberle to the Rangers with welcome arms...but the price will probably be fairly high. I don't want to see the Rangers trade away any young core roster players like Dubinsky, Callahan, Del Zotto, etc...or prospects like Kreider, Stephan, Grachev, etc.
Pasty7 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 07:53:10
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

pasty...dont under-estimate brian burke, i think any1 who can bring in a world class 24 year old player like phaneuf ( for stagen and hagman..lmao ) can obtain a dmmmm good player for kaberle. i think people are going to be surprised what burke will bring back for kaberle and maybe prospect package.

oh a good puck moving d man is obligatory for any teams sucess which makes kabby extremly valuable but no where close to as valuable as a 25year old very close to being a top tier player in the league if he isn`t already espcially when kabby wouldn`t even be a top 3 on the flyers,, they already have a extremly tight and good defensive core,,, this trade will never happen!

Pasty
ryan93 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 07:17:16
Volchenkov...again i'd like to see him in NY, but not for the price/term he'll be demanding.

Paul Kariya is a guy i wouldn't mind them signing as long as it was a short term deal, but it'd have to be a big paycut from his last $6 million a season deal.
ryan93 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 07:15:45
Looking over this years crop of UFA's, well it's a rather underwhelming list. As a Rangers fan my #1 hope for the off-season is that they are able to get rid of the mistake that is the Wade Redden contact. He simply can't continue to eat up that much of the salary cap as a 3rd pairing defensemen. It would be nice to shed Chris Drury's contact as well, but while he's now just a 3rd line center, unlike Redden at least Drury still brings lots of tangibles to the table.

If they were able to make Redden go away (or Rozsival for that matter...though i do like Rozsival so hope he stays, even at $5 mil), then i would like to see Dan Hamhuis on the Rangers. However, not if he's looking for a big long term contract in excess of $6 million a season. If he was willing to sign something like a 4 year $20 million deal, than i'd be all for it.

Unless management feels Chad Johnson is ready to step in & play 15-20 games, then the Rangers need to sign a quality backup to take some of the pressure off of Henrik Lundqvist. Whether that means taking back Alex Auld, or signing someone like Johan Hedberg or Martin Biron. Lundqvist already eats a big chunk of the cap, so you don't want to spend too much on the one position, but all 3 of the above should be looking for deals in the $1 million range.

Offense is the biggest need for the Rangers. Sure i'd love to see Ilya Kovalchuk in a blueshirt, but they already have 1 star winger making big bucks in Marian Gaborik. Kovalchuk will likely be looking for a deal in the $9-10 million range if he decides to stay in the NHL, and that's simply too much. Same with Patrick Marleau, obviosly would love to have him on board, but not for the salary he'll be looking for. If he would sign for $4.5 to $5 million definitely, but that won't be the case.

I'd like to see them bring back Vinny Prospal. He's a very versatile player and had a solid first season in NY. He split the season playing both center & wing, and seemed to have decent chemistry with Gaborik. If he moveson though, i wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Gaborik old buddy, Pavol Demtira. At this stage in his career though anything over the $2-3 million range is too much.

As much as i like Dubinsky, the Rangers do need a true #1 centermen, but i don't see that happening through UFA. After Marleau, there is a huge drop off.
They have some good center prospects coming up, but they're all a few years away yet from making an impact.
polishexpress Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:49:39
Hey Beans, I agree with you, the only UFA's I want the oilers to sign would be Marleau or Kovy. They might be worth it if they could unload Horcoff somehow.

Volchenkov might be worth a look by the Oilers due to his defensive grit.

I would rather get Marleau- Oilers need good centers, then they could draft Hall as a winger, without having to think that they need Seguin as a centreman.
The Duke Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:40:25
pasty...dont under-estimate brian burke, i think any1 who can bring in a world class 24 year old player like phaneuf ( for stagen and hagman..lmao ) can obtain a dmmmm good player for kaberle. i think people are going to be surprised what burke will bring back for kaberle and maybe prospect package.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 14:30:34
As I have said, I do not think he is a bad player. I was incorrect to think that he played with Thornton during the 05/06 season, so to that I do apologize. But do not tell me he does not look to shoot before he passes.

It is true, Marleau has a good shot. He does open up the offense, and he has a very good north-south game. Just not as a centerman. I watched some Sharks game when they were doubleheaders early in the year, and Marleau was quickly moved off to the wing. He flourished there. In the playoffs, I watched every single Sharks game. With Pavelski centering him, he was dynamite. But can he do it as a full time centerman, and really be that one-two punch with Kessel? Maybe, but I doubt it.

In fact, if Marleau had not had such a great season this year, we would be talking about how he must prove himself because he hasn't played up to par since that 2005/2006 season.

I would much rather a playmaker over Marleau, especially with the makeup of our current squad. I really do hope that the Leafs do not pick up Marleau. I really don't.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 14:09:34
Just went through every boxscore for 2005/06, and throughout the regular season, Thornton had 0 assists on any of Marleau's even strength goals, and had 9 assists on the pp. He scored 34 goals that year, 20 on the pp, btw. Basically, even on the power play, they only played together half the time that year.

Marleau played with Sturm, Dimitrakos, Cheechoo at times, Michalek, Stevenson, McCauley, Langfeld, Bernier. But I don't think they even had him and Thornton together for a full game, from reading the boxscores, which is hilarious considering you pressing this point!

Marleau is awesome, and a fantastic centre who can clearly create all kinds of offense all on his own. Just admit it!

Pasty7 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 14:06:19
slozo 1 leafs fan 0, the only words you should be typing now are you`re right i`m wrong,, the word sloppy should never be used in the same sentence as Marleau unless we re talking about how he eats his spaggetti, sure he is not worth 7 million but most players getting 7 millon plus are not,, and he will get it or damn close ,,, think about it how many players deserve the contracts they re getting,, guys like marleau are rare,, a true north south player a true work horse and a true talent he is very close as to what in the baseball world we call a 5 tool player,, in any situation on a team as stacked as san jose marleau is the guy getting the tap to go on the ice,, i watched a lot of his playoff games this year and he was by far san jose `s best player on the ice and that is exactly what he is supposed to be if you dont want marleau on the leafs thats fine he can come play for my blue blanc et rouge and you can face him and my boy cammy 6 times a year

Pasty
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 13:47:42
Leafsfan 101 - you are foolish, very foolish indeed, if you think a pre-season posting about what the coach planned to do was how it actually panned out during the year.

I actually went through old boxscores before posting my assertion, as I am not a Sharks fan and had to do the research to figure out if I had remembered correctly. I had. For the most part that year, Thornton and Cheechoo played with a string of young guys, and once in a while it was Marleau . . . but only when their offence was struggling. This happened rarely that year, as both Thornton and Cheechoo lit it up.

Go through the old boxscores yourself. In almost every case, if Marleau and Thornton teamed up on the same goal, it's a pp marker.

Get your facts straight next time, please.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 10:12:46
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

In 05/06 he played almost entirely at centre on the second line. He only played with Cheechoo and Thornton on the pp. In fact, the next year they got Mark Bell if I remember correctly because of a lack of a left winger to play with Thornton.

What was your point again? I am not sure what YOU are getting at, if just to prove how clever you are . . . but getting over 50 assists on the second line is pretty damn dynamic and pretty darn awesome.

My contention is that Marleau plays better as a centre, and his points will rise if he's a #1 centre on another team.

Actually, he played on the top line that year. Nice try though.

http://fans.sharks.nhl.com/topic/572
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 10:07:40
In 05/06 he played almost entirely at centre on the second line. He only played with Cheechoo and Thornton on the pp. In fact, the next year they got Mark Bell if I remember correctly because of a lack of a left winger to play with Thornton.

What was your point again? I am not sure what YOU are getting at, if just to prove how clever you are . . . but getting over 50 assists on the second line is pretty damn dynamic and pretty darn awesome.

My contention is that Marleau plays better as a centre, and his points will rise if he's a #1 centre on another team.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 08:58:20
quote:

Thanks for the back-up on Marleau guys, but the comment about him being a terrible skater and sub par player were so ridiculous as to to not warrant a reply. I mean, he scored 44 goals this year playing a third of the time on the second line, and two thirds of the time on the "superstar" line with Heater and Thornton. Um, yeah, you are playing with a guy who is known only for his assists in Thornton, so yes, goals should go up and assists down, and as well, you have Heater there who was considered the more talented, younger more dynamic sniper. Yet Marleau scored 5 more goals than him . . . weird, for a crappy player.

Playing mostly on the second line in his career, point out to me another second line guy (besides Malkin, I will submit that's more like line 1 b) ) who gets that many goals and points on a consistent basis? Back in 05/06 when Marleau got his highest point totals, he played mostly on the second line with such superstars as Michalek and Bernier . . . there aren't too many players who can challenge for 80 point seasons with players like that on the second line.

No, I truly think Marleau is the big catch this year, closely followed by Kovalchuk, closely followed Price who will certainly leave Montreal. I have soured on Kovalchuk a bit, and I just think Marleau is more of a leadership/team guy who will also help your dressing room big time.

If the Leafs miss on Marleau, like I said, I think they should target a playmaking top line centre (not saying that is what Marleau is, he is more of a Sundin type, more dynamic) through trade by dangling Kaberle and a prospect, of which we have a fair bit now acquired through trades and whatnot.

But I think Marleau, on a different team, is ready to break out and blossom . . . but that's just a gut feeling.

Nowhere did I say he was a crappy player. But he is not a good centerman. You bring up the point that he got a majority of his points on the 2nd line, both this year and throughout his career. In fact, that is incorrect. Marleau was on the top line LWer this year, then moved dwn to the 2nd line. Is it impressive he still played well on the 2nd line? Yes. But did he do it playing center? No. In his prior years, did he light it up as a centerman? No, in fact he had hid worst pro season as a star player in 07-08. Do the San Jose Sharks even consider him a centerman on their team? No, as evidenced by taking the 5th most faceoffs. That doesn't prove it? The Sharks website has him as a LWer on their depth chart. NHL.com does aswell.

I'm confused as to what you want here Slozo. I'm guessing that you want that dynamic, playmaking center I'm sure most of us in Leafs Nation do. But Marleau is shoot first, pass 2nd option. Do you agree? He is a great winger, sure, but he leaves much to be desired as a center man, and one the Leafs the should no pursue.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 08:30:06
Thanks for the back-up on Marleau guys, but the comment about him being a terrible skater and sub par player were so ridiculous as to to not warrant a reply. I mean, he scored 44 goals this year playing a third of the time on the second line, and two thirds of the time on the "superstar" line with Heater and Thornton. Um, yeah, you are playing with a guy who is known only for his assists in Thornton, so yes, goals should go up and assists down, and as well, you have Heater there who was considered the more talented, younger more dynamic sniper. Yet Marleau scored 5 more goals than him . . . weird, for a crappy player.

Playing mostly on the second line in his career, point out to me another second line guy (besides Malkin, I will submit that's more like line 1 b) ) who gets that many goals and points on a consistent basis? Back in 05/06 when Marleau got his highest point totals, he played mostly on the second line with such superstars as Michalek and Bernier . . . there aren't too many players who can challenge for 80 point seasons with players like that on the second line.

No, I truly think Marleau is the big catch this year, closely followed by Kovalchuk, closely followed Price who will certainly leave Montreal. I have soured on Kovalchuk a bit, and I just think Marleau is more of a leadership/team guy who will also help your dressing room big time.

If the Leafs miss on Marleau, like I said, I think they should target a playmaking top line centre (not saying that is what Marleau is, he is more of a Sundin type, more dynamic) through trade by dangling Kaberle and a prospect, of which we have a fair bit now acquired through trades and whatnot.

But I think Marleau, on a different team, is ready to break out and blossom . . . but that's just a gut feeling.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 08:25:19
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Marleau is not a good centreman? Have you watching him play a different sport?? Must have, because in hockey he is one of the better one's in the league.

Topped 80 points only twice??? Well, how many players crack 80 points in a season?? 17 this past season. Marleau is one of the top 20-30 producing players in the league (not just centremen, players), year after year.

Cracked 40 assists only once?? Try twice, and missed that number by one assists this past season. Again, how many players in the league crack 40 assists in a season?? Well, a lot. But when you look at centremen, there are around 20 that will get 40 or more assists. Consider this year, playing with one of the best playmakers in the NHL, where Marleau still managed to muster up enough assists to be the 11th highest left winger in the league.

Most importantly, do you have any idea how many players had more than 35 goals AND more than 35 assists??? This past year:

Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Semin, Heatley, Parise, and????

Patrick Marleau.

For a guy who claims to watch a ton of Marleau, I think you missed the boat complete. I am not saying that Marleau is going to put up Sedin/Thornton/Savard kind of assists. But you will consistently get 35 and 35, you will get a guy that can literally play every forward position on any line, you will get a legitimate #1 centre on 24+ teams in the league today, you will get a #1 PP guy (including on the point if needed) and a #1 PK guy.

You will get exactly what Slozo and Pasty suggest. That is one of the top 15 Centre's in the league. You can't fault Marleau for his coach putting him on the top line on the wing??? C'mon, that's a joke. You make comments like Marleau on the 2nd line is a demotion??? Often times coaches will move their stars around to get other line going.

All of this, however, is a moot point. If any centreman is leaving SJ, it's Thornton. I firmly believe that Marleau will get paid by the Sharks as they realize that HE is the player that brings it in crunch time, not Thornton.

I don't doubt that he is not a good player. But I do doubt his ability to play center. His best season as a pro came in 05-06. That season the Sharks managed to steal away Joe Thornton from Boston, and had the scoring prowess of Jonathon Cheechoo. Was Marleau the one who dished passes to Cheechoo which led him to score 52 goals? Probably in some part, but I would venture to guess that Marleau's point totals were more of a beneficiary of Thornton and Cheechoo.

Marleau is a shoot first kind-of-player. If you cannot agree with that than you must either be ignorant to dumb. His style of play fits perfectly on the wing, as evidenced this year as the LWer on aline with Thornton and Heatley.

But you do not get a best-of-the-best centerman, especially if his price will be over 7 mil.
Beans15 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 06:57:52
To the question at hand, I hope the Oilers don't sign a single UFA this year other than Jason Strudwick. He is a heart and soul kind of guy and solid to bring some players along.

Any other UFA the Oilers sign is simply a player getting over-paid and taking the minutes of a younger player who could be getting experience.

The only UFA's I would like to see in Oilers jerseys are Marleau and Kovalchuk. However, they will be grossly over paid and not worth it.
Sensfan101 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 06:04:17
Sign Either Z. Michalek or A. Sutton and M. Cullen call up Wiercoch give Cowen 1 more year of junior

Forwards
Regin Spezza Alfredsson
M. Michalek Fisher Foligno
Kovalev Cullen Winchester
Neil Kelly Ruutu

Defence (If Z. Michalek signs)
Phillips Z. Michalek
Kuba Karlsson
Carkner Wiercoch

If Sutton signs
Phillips Kuba
Sutton Karlsson
Carkner Wiercoch

Goalies
Lecalaire
Elliot

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Beans15 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 05:35:24
Marleau is not a good centreman? Have you watching him play a different sport?? Must have, because in hockey he is one of the better one's in the league.

Topped 80 points only twice??? Well, how many players crack 80 points in a season?? 17 this past season. Marleau is one of the top 20-30 producing players in the league (not just centremen, players), year after year.

Cracked 40 assists only once?? Try twice, and missed that number by one assists this past season. Again, how many players in the league crack 40 assists in a season?? Well, a lot. But when you look at centremen, there are around 20 that will get 40 or more assists. Consider this year, playing with one of the best playmakers in the NHL, where Marleau still managed to muster up enough assists to be the 11th highest left winger in the league.

Most importantly, do you have any idea how many players had more than 35 goals AND more than 35 assists??? This past year:

Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Semin, Heatley, Parise, and????

Patrick Marleau.

For a guy who claims to watch a ton of Marleau, I think you missed the boat complete. I am not saying that Marleau is going to put up Sedin/Thornton/Savard kind of assists. But you will consistently get 35 and 35, you will get a guy that can literally play every forward position on any line, you will get a legitimate #1 centre on 24+ teams in the league today, you will get a #1 PP guy (including on the point if needed) and a #1 PK guy.

You will get exactly what Slozo and Pasty suggest. That is one of the top 15 Centre's in the league. You can't fault Marleau for his coach putting him on the top line on the wing??? C'mon, that's a joke. You make comments like Marleau on the 2nd line is a demotion??? Often times coaches will move their stars around to get other line going.

All of this, however, is a moot point. If any centreman is leaving SJ, it's Thornton. I firmly believe that Marleau will get paid by the Sharks as they realize that HE is the player that brings it in crunch time, not Thornton.
nuxfan Posted - 06/04/2010 : 23:51:18
quote:
So, we need to try and fill that hole. Hamhuis could be a good fit, altough i'm unsure of his overall style of play. Don't get to see a lot of him.

Irvine, I don't think that Hamhuis is going to go for much less than Volchenkov will. If the Sens are not going to sign Volchenkov, what makes you think they'll go after Hamhuis?
leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 21:25:59
Patty Marleau has surpassed the 80 point plateau only twice, and has only cracked over 40 assists once. He is currently on a much better team than Toronto is, with much more support and depth. He barely reached 30 assists playing with the likes of Heatley, Thornton, Pavelski, Clowe, and Setoguchi. He comes to Toronto, and he has Kessel and Bozak.

I have seen Marleau play quite a bit, and he is not the fastest, nor is he remotely a good playmaker. It is crazy to suggest he could produce 40 assists on another team. He is definitely not centerman material, as shown by this year.

Explain why he had the second best point totals of his career this year, yet played primarily as a winger? Don't believe me? This year he was fifth on his team in faceoffs, behind the other top four centerman on that team, Thornton, Pavelski, Nichol, and Malholtra. Also, if you think back, he was the LWer on the Marleau - Thornton - Heatley line both during the regular season and Olympics. He was them moved to a 2nd line RWer role, playing with Pavelski and Ryan Clowe. Also, Pasty, explain why he was also a winger during his best pro season, playing on the wing as Thornton centered himself and Cheechoo.

So Pasty, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. he is not a good centerman. He is a good winger, yes, but we do not need to pay 7 mil for a slightly better version of Jason Blake. In fact, 7 mil is inasne for his services. If I was a GM, I'd go with something in the 5-6 million dollar range.

Bottom line is, Marleau is not, nor should be, a Toronto Maple Leaf.
Pasty7 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 15:44:33
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

quote:

And Rambo - Marleau's natural position is centre, no? Why would you move your best player away from their natural position? The only reason Marleau plays RW (or is it LW?) for San Jose is because of Thornton being the top centre. See? Top centre doesn't move, the other guys have to move.

Slozo, I am sorry but I have to say I hate your team. Nothing personal, but c'mon, Marleau? Have you watched hockey at all. Marleau was moved to the wing this season because he is not a good center man....he shoots the puck too much. A center man should be more of a playmaker, and with Kessel on our team a playmaker is exactly what we need. Marleau is nowhere near a playmaker, and his skating is sloppy at best to be a center man.

He was moved to the 2nd line RW spot with Joe Pavelski this year, and he had one of his best offensive totals. He is better on the wing, and although he can play center, he sucks at that position.

Do you think we honestly need another overpaid player who will find no chemistry with the team?

really? i watch a lot of hockey and i have seen Marleau play a lot over the course of his career, but sloppy he sucks at the center position i have to respectivly disagree, he is probably a top 15 center in the league in my opinion and he can make plays 40 plus assists this year is nothing to snub,,, he would be the leafs best player forsure maybe you could make the argument for kessel being better but thats it...

Pasty
leafsfan_101 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 15:10:42
quote:

And Rambo - Marleau's natural position is centre, no? Why would you move your best player away from their natural position? The only reason Marleau plays RW (or is it LW?) for San Jose is because of Thornton being the top centre. See? Top centre doesn't move, the other guys have to move.

Slozo, I am sorry but I have to say I hate your team. Nothing personal, but c'mon, Marleau? Have you watched hockey at all. Marleau was moved to the wing this season because he is not a good center man....he shoots the puck too much. A center man should be more of a playmaker, and with Kessel on our team a playmaker is exactly what we need. Marleau is nowhere near a playmaker, and his skating is sloppy at best to be a center man.

He was moved to the 2nd line RW spot with Joe Pavelski this year, and he had one of his best offensive totals. He is better on the wing, and although he can play center, he sucks at that position.

Do you think we honestly need another overpaid player who will find no chemistry with the team?
Deaner Posted - 06/04/2010 : 13:46:30
I'm hoping the leafs go after marleau or kovalchuk. it's nice to dream....
irvine Posted - 06/04/2010 : 13:06:06
Plenty of UFA available as of right now, altough the list will drop substantially by July 1.

For the Sens... well, we need some work.

First thing first, we need to fill the hole left by Volchenkov. This hurts, bad. Vol is highly underrated in the league. He's a top shot blocking, shut down d-man. Losing him, is going to hurt the Sens big time.

So, we need to try and fill that hole. Hamhuis could be a good fit, altough i'm unsure of his overall style of play. Don't get to see a lot of him.

We need a true goal scorer too. To play with Spezza. Finding one, within budget will be tough.

Irvine/prez.
nuxfan Posted - 06/04/2010 : 12:02:08
quote:
There is alot of talk that Hamhuis will be a Canuck next year.

Here's hoping. I'd love to see him here, we have a big Mitchell hole to replace. I'd like to see either him or Volchenkov, but there is a lot of talk that Volly will be off to Washington to play with the the other Russians.

Rambo - Carter for Kaberle? Seriously? I know why Burke would consider it, but why do you think the Flyers would even consider that deal?

There are so many UFA's to choose from, I don't know where to begin. IMO the Canucks could use 1 top-6 wing forward (use the 4M that Demitra was making to get them) and one top-9 forward. Lots of UFA names that would be good fits, as well as potential trades with teams that need to dump salaries (would be nice to get Sharp from CHI if we could).

Also need 1 top-4 dman and 1 top-6 dman to fill in the holes. Preferrably one offensively minded and one stay-at-home. Hamhuis would be a good one, Paul Martin would be a good one... again there are so many names to choose from.

Pasty7 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 07:44:20
oh and Holmstrom just extended his contract with the wings

Pasty

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page