Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 NHL 2010 Draft Weekend Musings

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 06/28/2010 : 15:27:21
Not a lot of impactful events happened in the 2010 version of the NHL Entry Draft. Then again, it’s the little things that make a difference and there sure was a lot of tweaking, not to mention the draft picks themselves. Here are some of my initial thoughts…

I had Calle Järnkrok ninth on my list of 20 prospects (forwards) I would like to own in a keeper league. The fact that the Swede went to Detroit makes him a can’t miss. However, again because it is Detroit, we won’t see him for four years. Long wait, with sure-fire results…

With Carolina owning Joni Pitkanen, Jamie McBain, Alexandre Picard, Bryan Rodney, Anton Babchuck and now Bobby Sanguinetti – something will give. There is no need for six offensive defensemen. Look for one of Rodney or Picard to be in the minors, and at their age it could make them career minor leaguers. Also look for Babchuk to possibly be traded early in the season. McBain is a lock for the team and he will flourish, and I also believe they will make room for Sanguinetti…

Henrik Karlsson’s deal to Calgary may have looked like a minor swap and will most certainly have been forgotten by September. But I have a hunch that every media outlet that covers hockey will have their memories refreshed by December. Karlsson was pegged to have the potential of an “average NHL starter” in our Fantasy Prospects Report (by Justin Goldman). But sometimes, in the right system, an “average” starter can be a star. And it’s not unheard of for a no-name goaltender to steal the job from a highly-paid, established netminder (see Antti Niemi, Niklas Backstrom, Ilya Bryzgalov, or any Nashville goalie of the last four years for details). The situation in Calgary is perfect. The odds, of course, are against this happening, but the situation is as good as it is going to get and every bit as good as Backstrom’s situation in Minnesota when Manny Fernandez was the No.1. If you have the bench space for a fourth goaltender, Karlsson makes a dandy pickup. Bet you thought you’d never see the day that Dobber would use the word “dandy”…

Both T.J. Hensick and Vladimir Sobotka are Blues. Each of them needed a trade to have a chance at reaching their potential. Neither of them went to the right team, although their situation is much better than it was where they were. The Blues are already flush with talent up front, so they’ll be in tough. At least Sobotka can hold his own on a checking line. In the right situation, he could be a 65- to 70-point player. I can see him emulating Alex Steen – a season of toiling on the third line and then eventually get hot and work his way onto a scoring line by the middle of 2011-12. As for Hensick, he’ll need a monster camp and the odds are stacked against him. He has no place on the third line, he needs an injury to someone in the top six to get a realistic shot…

The Blues did extremely well drafting offensive prospects Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Tarasenko. It says here that by the middle of the 2011-12 season, these two will be in the Top 20 on my Fantasy Prospects list…

Mikael Granlund couldn’t have went to a better team. He’ll be rushed into the NHL – and by “rushed” I mean in two seasons. But the Wild need home-grown offense and he immediately becomes “it”. No other team would lean on him as much as Minnesota…

The best late-round flyer, from a fantasy standpoint, was Nashville’s seventh rounder Joonas Rask. This was his third eligible draft. Now 20, he’s a pure sniper with some hockey sense who is only now starting to come into his own. He could Patric Hornqvist his way onto our radars by next April with stellar numbers in Europe. He needs to add strength though, which puts him at least three years away…

Have an opinion on Dobber's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
irvine Posted - 06/28/2010 : 19:47:01
I'm very happy with what the Ottawa Senators did, by trading the 16th overall pick to St. Luis for young defender, David Rundblad.

Rundblad was drafted 17th overall in the 2009 entry draft. And honestly, I am a fan of Rundblad, the potential and skill he brings to the table.

By trading for Rundblad, they not only receive an excellent prospect on D, but a guy who is going to be NHL ready sooner than whoever they drafted this season. (Atleast, most likely.)

I can't wait to see Rundblad on the back end, along side Karlsson & Cowen.

Irvine/prez.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page