Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 The 2010/11 Toronto Maple Leafs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest2766 Posted - 09/08/2010 : 06:07:54
With the season a month a way what are your feelings on this years addition of the Leafs.

I believe a lot of people are underestimating this team because of last years problems. I think the defence is really good with Phaneuf, Kaberle and a full season of Komisarek. I really love Phaneufs comments saying that anything other than making the playoffs is unacceptable.

I will agree that goal scoring may not come easilly but the defence and goaltending should cover that problem to some degree. The only thing really holding this team back is that bonafide number 1 center. However I believe Burke is working that out.

I see this years addition barring any significant injuries (Kessel,Phaneuf, or Gustavsson) truly contending for 7th or 8th place and making the playoffs.
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 11/04/2010 : 09:36:01
Gotta give the Leafs credit, they don't seem to quit. I haven't seen a lot of games, but when i see scores online or on the "ticker" and they're constantly trailing, then are right back in it, it tells me something. These guys don't seem to go away easily.
Guest9825 Posted - 11/04/2010 : 06:43:35
the next time that they do it will be when the rain falls in Gweru
ToXXiK1 Posted - 11/04/2010 : 06:31:55
Depending on Miller, if he plays or not, it could be a real lopsided win for the Leafs. Buffalo has pretty much little left as far as the offence is concerned, with only Roy, Vanek and the odd Stafford goal, not much left in the cupboards.
n/a Posted - 11/04/2010 : 06:00:52
I don't think the Duke is off the bandwagon . . . as a Leaf fan, you are always 100% on the wagon. Tied to the wagon, actually, with no chance of getting off. Even if the horses go crazy and you go on a wild and crazy ride!

Which is where the Leafs are now - a bit of an up and down time for them, as they try hard to break out of this losing streak. What a fantastic game to watch, btw, as both teams traded end to end rushes, had tons of eciting plays, and great saves. It was a pity that I could only catch the third period, o/t and shootout.

It was a character s/o loss, and the Leafers can hold their heads high. Now it's time to win.

I predict a huge win against Buffalo on Sat night. Lots of goals from the Leafers.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 11/03/2010 : 16:16:17
whoa there duke! That bandwagon you just fell off of is disappearing in the distance, you're gonna have to run hard to catch up.
The Duke Posted - 11/03/2010 : 14:13:54
After watching my leafs last night, i would dare say that if they play the exact same way tonight, Ovie. will have a chance to tie Sittler`s 6 goals in one game record.( maybe 10 points too )

Imagine what irony that would be, all-time great leaf record tied or broken against the leafs.

I know the leafs aren`t Detroit but i don`t think Ron ( moron ) Wilson is helping matters either. Only approx. 10 games in an already Versteeg has play on the 1st , 2nd , and 3rd lines....oh my god what is he trying to do.

Phil kessel was scoring in bunches so i guess he had to split up Kessel and Versteeg...good plan Ron...Newsflash...Like it or not Versteeg is as close as you got to a first line player. Wilson`s plan, oh lets put Versteeg on the 3rd line with 2 lumberjacks to get him going....( now he will score for sure )... and insert into our 1st line an AHL player who couldn`t make the starting roster !!! What a genius.....
Zigomanis looks great ( lots of experience too ), 4th line is clicking, Orr even has 2 goals....what to do ?? i know i`ll send Ziggy to the AHL and bring up Hanson, he played college hockey...how can i go wrong ??
Wilson thinking...tic-toc...tic-toc...tic...toc...Can`t play Lebda...he played in Detroit...he knows too much about hockey...have to sit him out...can`t have him teaching our defenseman Detroit`s ways of defense, that hasn`t worked before....
Have to demote Sjostrom to the 4th line, our PK isn`t 30th in the league yet...maybe he will get pissed off and not kill penalities good anymore...yeah
bananas Posted - 11/02/2010 : 23:03:20
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

I don't think its a case of having too much tied up on your defense, its just a case of who you're spending it on.

- Phaneuf: 6.5
- Komisarek: 4.5
- Kaberle: 4.25
- Beauchemin - 3.8
- Schenn - .875 (+bonus)
- Lebda - 1.45
- Gunnarson - .800

That works out to roughly 20M for your entire back end. You have to think that Kaberle is off the books next year, but Schenn will be RFA and will probably sign for ~2M/year on a 2 or 3 year deal - so your top 6 will be 18-19M next year.

18-22M is roughly where most teams fall for spending on defense. VAN spends 23M, but I think they have amassed one of the best defensive groups in the league (no doubt some will argue that).

So, the Leafs are spending the right amount of money - perhaps just not on the right group. We'll see what they do over the summer, once the Kaberle deal is up and they have some room to sign players.

That's a good point. I guess they don't have too much tied up in the d totally but I do think they've allocated it to the wrong players which is a huge problem.
Awesome One Posted - 11/02/2010 : 18:06:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Its in the second period vs Ottawa....oh my Je#(@s the leafs are gone to the F^#@in dogs...what happened to the team which played the first 6 games ???

Lottery pick u said Beans....no way, 1st pick overall for Boston !!!

Imagine that Seguin and Croutier, Burke must be kicking himself right now!!!

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
The Duke Posted - 11/02/2010 : 17:41:54
Its in the second period vs Ottawa....oh my Je#(@s the leafs are gone to the F^#@in dogs...what happened to the team which played the first 6 games ???

Lottery pick u said Beans....no way, 1st pick overall for Boston !!!
nuxfan Posted - 11/02/2010 : 17:21:44
I don't think its a case of having too much tied up on your defense, its just a case of who you're spending it on.

- Phaneuf: 6.5
- Komisarek: 4.5
- Kaberle: 4.25
- Beauchemin - 3.8
- Schenn - .875 (+bonus)
- Lebda - 1.45
- Gunnarson - .800

That works out to roughly 20M for your entire back end. You have to think that Kaberle is off the books next year, but Schenn will be RFA and will probably sign for ~2M/year on a 2 or 3 year deal - so your top 6 will be 18-19M next year.

18-22M is roughly where most teams fall for spending on defense. VAN spends 23M, but I think they have amassed one of the best defensive groups in the league (no doubt some will argue that).

So, the Leafs are spending the right amount of money - perhaps just not on the right group. We'll see what they do over the summer, once the Kaberle deal is up and they have some room to sign players.
bananas Posted - 11/02/2010 : 15:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Phaneuf is already a minus 6. For a guy who is treated as a top defender, and gets a ton of powerplay time, that's an awful number for this early in the season, and I can recall just off the top of my head 4 or 5 of those minuses that are entirely his fault. At this rate the guy is going to need to seriously start racking up the points just to make up for the games they have lost due to his stupidity.

I don't care how many points a defender puts up if he can't defend, but if you're going to play a guy like that, limit him to the powerplay and when the other team is on the defensive. I guess Ron Wilson couldn't really get away with using his $6.5 million a year captain for 10-12 minutes a night though, could he? That's a shame, as far as I'm concerned, because the Leafs have plenty of other defensemen who can, you know, defend.

Phaneuf is playing the same way this year in TOR as he did in CGY for the past 3 years. The only difference is TOR doesn't have Regher, Bouwemeester, Giordano, and Sarich to back him up when he throws caution to the wind for the big hit or the ill-advised pinch - they have Schenn, Komisarek and then a whole pile of nobody.

Komisarek should be at the bottom of that "whole pile of nobody". While I don't think Phaneuf is that great a player, offensive defenseman are at least unique talents. Komisarek brings nothing. He can't score, not good defensively, is afraid of Milan Lucic. The biggest problem the leafs have is they have too much money tied up in their defence and the single best move they could make would be to get rid of Komisarek and free up that $4.5 mil.
Alex116 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 15:07:52
quote:
Originally posted by TheRC

Phaneuf is already a minus 6. For a guy who is treated as a top defender, and gets a ton of powerplay time, that's an awful number for this early in the season,

PP time does not count towards +/-. He can score 50 pp goals and it's not gonna help that stat!
nuxfan Posted - 11/02/2010 : 15:06:10
quote:

Phaneuf is already a minus 6. For a guy who is treated as a top defender, and gets a ton of powerplay time, that's an awful number for this early in the season, and I can recall just off the top of my head 4 or 5 of those minuses that are entirely his fault. At this rate the guy is going to need to seriously start racking up the points just to make up for the games they have lost due to his stupidity.

I don't care how many points a defender puts up if he can't defend, but if you're going to play a guy like that, limit him to the powerplay and when the other team is on the defensive. I guess Ron Wilson couldn't really get away with using his $6.5 million a year captain for 10-12 minutes a night though, could he? That's a shame, as far as I'm concerned, because the Leafs have plenty of other defensemen who can, you know, defend.

Phaneuf is playing the same way this year in TOR as he did in CGY for the past 3 years. The only difference is TOR doesn't have Regher, Bouwemeester, Giordano, and Sarich to back him up when he throws caution to the wind for the big hit or the ill-advised pinch - they have Schenn, Komisarek and then a whole pile of nobody.
TheRC Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:55:46

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Alex116 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:43:45
I kinda get what you mean Beans, but i really don't think the "edge" he plays with has a lot to do with his offensive point totals. Most of the points he gets are from his outlet passes and PP time. How, being physical and playing with an edge affects that i'm not sure? I think that those attributes should help him defensively whereby a forward would be reluctant to go into a corner with him or would be worried about crossing the blueline without his head on a swivel? But, it is his defense we've been saying is not great so maybe the answer for him would be to play softer ?
Beans15 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 13:31:37
For the same reason why Kaberle is not a defensive player, it's not his skills. Good coaches play to a players skills and do not try to make a players something they are not. It would be like trying to make Ovechkin a 2 way forward. It would be a waste of a gifted offensive player.

Phaneuf is what he is. He's and offensive defensemen who plays on the edge and because of that he will cause 2 on 1's. However, take away his edge and you might not get 50 points a year out of him either.
Alex116 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 11:01:33
It amazes me that all of us "experts" here on PUH can agree that his main weakness is his defensive liability, especially when taking himself out of position to land a crushing hit. Are we all wrong? If not, how is it that coaches (more than 1 i might add) have not been able to reel him in? How tough would it be to train the guy to not even bother with hits, unless they were the obvious ones, until he learned the timing thing a bit better?

If that is all that's wrong with this guys game, sooner or later you'd have to expect him to learn from his mistakes and become the beast of an all around dman he has the potential to be!!!
ToXXiK1 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 10:51:51
I was referring to clumsy play, not clumsy skater. I haven't watched a lot of Leaf hockey, but, what I have seen is Dion pinching several times causing 3 on 1's and 2 on 1's for bad decisions. I've seen him chasing instead of playing positional.
Like I said, i'm not a Dion expert or fan, so I reserve the right to say he ain't worth 6mil. What i've seen in my limited watching, he's a defensive liability.
nuxfan Posted - 11/02/2010 : 10:22:31
Alex, you're not far off... I was watching the Leafs game last Saturday, and they actually were using Phaneuf in front of the net on the PP, Byfuglien-style. I didn't think Phaneuf looked too comfortable there, and by the 3rd period he was back on the point launching wicked bombs at the net.

Having seen Phaneuf play a lot during his time in Calgary (at least 7 times a year vs Vancouver), I can agree with Beans that he is a very good defenseman. he can skate, hit, shows poise and patience bringing the puck out of his zone under pressure, and is a very good PP quarterback with an awesome shot from the point. And, no, he is not clumsy. Leafs fans, he gets paid 6M+ a year for a reason, and would be a top pair dman on any team in the league.

His achilles heel - defensive play, which seems a little odd when talking about one of the best defensemen in the league. Others have mentioned it - he goes out of position to make a big hit, he will pinch at the wrong times, he'll try a cross-ice pass that will get picked off from time to time for a breakaway. Phaneuf is an offensively-minded defenseman, and probably will always be such.
Alex116 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 09:58:54
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
The guy has the chops to win the Norris for the next decade if his brain could thing the game defensively even 1/2 as well as he can think offensively.

Any when has Phaneuf ever been clumsy?? I would disagree completely. For a guy of his size and strength he is incredibly mobile and fast.

Well then, perhaps Wilson should put him up front? Maybe he's the #1 center they've been looking for so badly?
Beans15 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 08:39:26
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Leaf fans get what they see with Phaneuf. Big, often clumsy, go for the hit kinda guy. Question is, is he worth the 6.5m per? I say no, money would've been well spent more re-signing Kabs.
Period.

Now, for as much as I bag on Dion Phaneuf, one has to remember that this guy does have more goals than any other defensemen in the NHL since the lock out. Furthermore, you know exactly what you will get offensively from Phaneuf. He has, up until last season, had seasons of 49, 50, 60, and 47 points and 20, 17, 17, and 11 goals.

That is why he gets paid $6+ million dollars. There are only a small handful of defensemen in the NHL that will consistantly put up 50+ points and even few players that will do it with 15+ goals.

The reason I bag on Phaneuf so much is because he is so physically and offensively gifted, his decision making defensively is frustrating. The guy has the chops to win the Norris for the next decade if his brain could thing the game defensively even 1/2 as well as he can think offensively.

Any when has Phaneuf ever been clumsy?? I would disagree completely. For a guy of his size and strength he is incredibly mobile and fast.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 02:19:09
Leaf fans get what they see with Phaneuf. Big, often clumsy, go for the hit kinda guy. Question is, is he worth the 6.5m per? I say no, money would've been well spent more re-signing Kabs.
Period.
nuxfan Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:16:36
I read an article the other day about how Kessel should be considered an early candidate for the Hart trophy. After what, 8 games? I think the press is nearly as bad as the delusional fans...

quote:

MacInnis was, in many respects, a bag of bone who could shoot the puck. It wasn't a fluke that his team mates called him "chopper" when he was a rookie because he could hardly skate. If MacInnis didn't have his shot I would argue that he would have been a marginal NHL at best.

I grew up watching and cheering the Flames thru the 80's, and loved MacInnis. Beans is correct in that he started very slow - the Flames drafted him for his shot (which didn't dissapoint), but he was a pretty crap skater and a pretty shoddy defensive dman in his first few NHL seasons. If MacInnis didn't have his shot, he probably would not have been an NHL defensman period.

However, he did improve in the latter areas, and became a better than average defender by the end of it all. While still putting up remarkable points of course. He was nominated for the Norris more than once.
TheRC Posted - 11/01/2010 : 19:46:46
Bananas hits the nail on the head. I'm a Leaf fan, and from talking to other Leaf fans on a regular basis, I can tell you that a statistically significant number of my fellow Leaf fans are completely delusional. Few examples:

Guys like Versteeg and Armstrong were quality role players on other teams... therefore they should become stars in Toronto? Doubtful, especially considering the number of decent players who have crumpled under the pressure of playing in this city.

Rookies like Kadri show flashes of brilliance... therefore call them up ASAP and watch them thrive? Again, yeah right. It's easy to be a top prospect in an organization that has spent the past several decades trading away most prospects of any worth.

Phaneuf had a few great seasons a few years ago in a different organization... therefore he is the next Chris Pronger? Laughable. Big physical presence? Check. Clutch on the PP? Nope. Shuts down opposing super-stars? He might, if he's not caught up ice laying a big hit, but, then again, he might not. So... what exactly makes him a Pronger? Being big? Well, in that case give him $6mil a year and the C, cause he sure is big.

Kessel is the only genuine star on that team, but even then, Bananas, somehow I doubt Boston is going to worry too much, Seguin should end up being just as valuable.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
bananas Posted - 11/01/2010 : 17:05:46
The reason leaf haters, in this case beans, have to pick apart the comments of leaf fans, other than the fact that it's fun, is because leaf fans are always so overly optomistic about their players. I don't think the Phaneuf trade was that bad because, like I said before all they gave away was garbage, but then leaf fans start to insinuate that Phaneuf is the next Pronger and somebody has to call BS on that. Dion just isn't that good.

The only guy I see who can live up to the hype he gets is Kessel and as good as he is, its still going to sting watching Boston for the next 10 years.
Beans15 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 15:45:38
MacInnis was, in many respects, a bag of bone who could shoot the puck. It wasn't a fluke that his team mates called him "chopper" when he was a rookie because he could hardly skate. If MacInnis didn't have his shot I would argue that he would have been a marginal NHL at best.

Regardless, you are right. I admit it 100%. I can't stand the Leafs. However, I am an equal opportunity debaters. I will poke holes in any argument I disagree with, regardless of the team the poster cheers for. And when statements are made like "Pronger did all the things Phaneuf is doing now when he was 24 - 25....i know, i remember.", well, it makes it pretty easy to poke holes in.

What is it that the Leafs are doing now?? Oh, playing .500 hockey. Cool. I can handle that.
The Duke Posted - 11/01/2010 : 15:36:29
bananas...at least you agree that what the leafs shipped out west is garbage..lol

Beans there is no debate here...Pronger is still and has been for years my favorite NHL defenseman.

When comparing Phaneuf to Pronger, i`m not saying that Phaneuf is as good as or ever will be as good as Pronger. I`ll compare these two guys for some similatities, they are both big, strong , tough, have a good shot and both play with an edge.

Pronger clearly has been THE BEST NHL defenseman for the last decade....more clearly i`ll state, there is one and only one Pronger, hope i don`t have to make myself any clearer on how i feel about Chris Pronger any more.

It`s so easy to take some-ones comments and twist and twist them until they sound like it`s something they actually said. When you read my earlier post did you read the opening sentence which said...Phaneuf ain`t no Pronger i know...??? or did you totally ignore that part for some reason ??

Why is it when you write Pronger played in the olympics it is supposed to mean something, but when i say how good AL Maclnnis was who ALSO played international hockey with team Canada on every level possible ( a shoe in i might add ), Maclinnis is a bag of bones who could only shoot the puck hard.

Beans i don`t like bashing people but it seems to me you are a leaf hater who just picks holes in leaf fans comments. Toronto finally are getting some real hockey players, ( and some good ones in the system ) and it seems to me that some people don`t like it very much, well tough titty, they are only getting started.
bananas Posted - 11/01/2010 : 14:26:09
As someone from the West who has watched Phaneuf play for a few years, give him the rest of the season. Eventually you'll wish you kept all that garbage you shipped off to Calgary.
Beans15 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 13:37:24
MacInnis was one of the best what??? Pure shooters, yes. Pure defensive players?? Not on your life. The guy made his money by dropping bombs from the blue line on the PP. That was his bread and butter and ultimately, Pronger did not turn out to be that kind of player at all.

Let's not talk like Phaneuf had pylons playing with him. Regher in his prime, Bouwmeester for 1/2 a season, Hamrlik to name a few.

Regardless, who Pronger or Phaneuf played with is irrelevant. The comparison is laughable.
Guest2233 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 13:30:11
Beans don`t forget that when Pronger was learning his way in the league he had AL Maclnnis by his side....oh yes i remember, my memory isn`t that bad, not a bad tudor !!

How do you think Phaneuf would look with MacLnnis by his side, day in and day out ?? MacLnnis was one of the best to ever play the game.
Beans15 Posted - 10/31/2010 : 21:12:39
Hey Duke, don't trip over yourself as you back pedal. Your post stated clearly,

Pronger did all the things Phaneuf is doing now when he was 24 - 25....i know, i remember.

All I said was that when Pronger was 25, he won the Norris, Hart, and was 1st team All Star. So maybe your age is making your memory a little less than what it once was?? I mean, Pronger was playing in the Olympics at 25. Where was Phaneuf??? Pronger was winning awards and catagorically known as one of the top, elite defensemen in the NHL. Pronger was a bit of a meatball off the ice when he was much younger (like 18-21) but he was always one of the top players on the ice.

I know. I remember.

And who says 'stats are for losers?" I have never heard that in all of my 12 years on this earth. I have heard that 42% of all stats means nothing, but that's just a guess.

What are we talking about again.
nuxfan Posted - 10/31/2010 : 20:35:19
quote:

As top playoff performers say ...stats are for losers.

The irony is, most top playoff performers have pretty awesome stats

The Duke Posted - 10/31/2010 : 17:06:31
Beans, make all the fun you want with the Sean Pronger remark, seems like all your posts are based on stats anyway. As top playoff performers say ...stats are for losers.

Maybe you are not even old enough to remember Pronger play when he was young. Pronger was very eratic when he was in his early twenties. He was constantly out of position, always going out of his way to take hits, had a hot temper, easily led into confrontations and ALWAYS took very dumb penalities.

Pronger did go on to become one of the very best defenseman to ever skate on ice, but he certainly wasn`t at a young age.
Guest2258 Posted - 10/31/2010 : 00:33:56
this is gonna be the top eight teams in my opinion first to last each confrence

east - 1st tampa 2nd pittsburgh 3rd montreal 4th phily 5th washington 6th boston 7th ny island the 8th spot will be a battle between atl tro and car ...watch

west 1st detroit 2nd vancouver 3rd sanjose 4th chi 5th la kings 6th st louis 7th colorado 8th fight between dallas , nash , calgary.
Awesome One Posted - 10/30/2010 : 07:45:01
Never ever Pasty!!

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Porkchop73 Posted - 10/29/2010 : 09:28:25
Anybody have insight into that nasty little scrap between Phaneuf and Horton. It was not a good scrap by any means but you can tell there was some real ill will towards each other.
n/a Posted - 10/29/2010 : 04:36:37
This last game was exactly what it looked like . . . the probably division winner, a very deep team, beating a scrappy Leafs team 2-0 at home. And needing their goalie to play very well (not great, I wouldn't go that far) to pull it off.

Boston will be a tough team to beat this year, even without Savard in the line-up. Their defence is stifling, and they do not give up any odd-man rushes, and they are quite physical.

Great physical game though.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
ToXXiK1 Posted - 10/29/2010 : 03:01:28
Seguin - 1, Kessel - 0

Fairly entertaining game, chances at both ends but, TT came to play!
Pasty7 Posted - 10/28/2010 : 19:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Phaneuf ain`t no Pronger i know, but Pronger was hardly half the player he turned out to be when he was Phaneufs age. Pronger did all the things Phaneuf is doing now when he was 24 - 25....i know, i remember.

Not saying Phaneuf will ever be as good as Pronger...just saying.

Chris Pronger is 36 years old. So 11 years ago, when he was 25, he won the Norris, Hart, and was 1st Team NHL All Star. You may remember something about Pronger, but it's not that he played a reckless type of hockey. Pronger was only the best player in the NHL at 25. Maybe you are thinking about Sean Pronger??

Phaneuf is no where near that point in his career. Not even close. Pronger never had the mobility in his game that Phaneuf has and never could afford himself the luxury of laying an open ice hit, putting himself completely out of position defensively. Pronger always has been brilliant in his positioning, since the day he entered the NHL.

Just as Brian Burke, he drafted Pronger.

unless Dion wins the Heart and Norris this year Beano you forgot it could still happen remember we are only 10 games in!

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 10/28/2010 : 08:46:01
quote:

Phaneuf ain`t no Pronger i know, but Pronger was hardly half the player he turned out to be when he was Phaneufs age. Pronger did all the things Phaneuf is doing now when he was 24 - 25....i know, i remember.

Not saying Phaneuf will ever be as good as Pronger...just saying.

Chris Pronger is 36 years old. So 11 years ago, when he was 25, he won the Norris, Hart, and was 1st Team NHL All Star. You may remember something about Pronger, but it's not that he played a reckless type of hockey. Pronger was only the best player in the NHL at 25. Maybe you are thinking about Sean Pronger??

Phaneuf is no where near that point in his career. Not even close. Pronger never had the mobility in his game that Phaneuf has and never could afford himself the luxury of laying an open ice hit, putting himself completely out of position defensively. Pronger always has been brilliant in his positioning, since the day he entered the NHL.

Just as Brian Burke, he drafted Pronger.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page